Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 09-11-2024, 04:58 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: 2024 Presidential Election Shittastic Shittacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michio View Post
Oh my God this is hilarious. Kamala made a comment about people leaving Trump's rallies early, and he didn't want to move onto the next question, he HAD to respond to that.

OH GOD HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHA BRO SAID THE HAITIANS ARE EATING THE CATS AND DOGS BRO DUDE WHAT IS HE SAYING RIGHT NOW. Now he's debating the veracity of this claim with the moderator. What???

Holy fuck Trump is insane lmaoooo. I was worried this wasn't going to be entertaining with muted mics.
I think you have to understand that this, while completely pig-fucking insane, is common misinformation being spread in right-wing circles — JD Vance has talked about immigrant eating pets more than once in the last few days.

It's not surprising to me Trump said it, and won't be perceived as crazy by his supporters. I can only hope that's not the case for the rest of America.
Old 09-11-2024, 01:03 PM
Admin

I think they both hit it out of the park for their respective bases. Harris sounded calm, reasonable, concerned, hopeful, and firm that the US has a responsibility to be the world's guardian - a liberal dream. Trump seemed angry, resentful, scared, very passionately nationalistic and adoring of autocrats - a fascist dream. No Trump voter before has been dissuaded by his failure to cite specific policies, I don't think they will be now. And is there anyone who would even consider voting for Trump who is going to be swayed by the fact that Harris has actually thought about policies and the Rodney Kingian "can't we all just get along?" plea? Hard to believe.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), specious_reasons (09-11-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 02:10 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I think they both hit it out of the park for their respective bases. Harris sounded calm, reasonable, concerned, hopeful, and firm that the US has a responsibility to be the world's guardian - a liberal dream. Trump seemed angry, resentful, scared, very passionately nationalistic and adoring of autocrats - a fascist dream. No Trump voter before has been dissuaded by his failure to cite specific policies, I don't think they will be now. And is there anyone who would even consider voting for Trump who is going to be swayed by the fact that Harris has actually thought about policies and the Rodney Kingian "can't we all just get along?" plea? Hard to believe.
I agree Trump hit it out of the park for his base, his base consisting of stumpjumpers, peckerwoods and imbeciles; i.e., roughly half the voting public.

Commentators are on Trump’s case for repeating the stupid lie that Haitians and other immigrants are eating the family pets of law-abiding, native citizens. What these commentators don’t grasp is that the stumpjumper, peckerwood and imbecile community, i.e., roughly half the voting public, has always believed in nonsense like this. That is why Trump is their cult leader. He gives public voice to their innermost depravity that otherwise they feel compelled to hide. He lets them be themselves.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024), JoeP (09-12-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-11-2024), specious_reasons (09-11-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-11-2024), viscousmemories (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 02:28 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Some thoughts on Taylor Swift's endorsement and how it is structured:

How Taylor Swift's endorsement of Harris and Walz is a masterpiece of persuasive prose: a songwriter’s practical lesson in written advocacy – The Law and Policy Blog

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Pan Narrans (09-12-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-11-2024), viscousmemories (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 05:22 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Empirically, a lot of Trump's base were very unhappy with his performance, because he was rambling and incoherent and didn't score a lot of compelling points. They're making excuses for his performance, which is not a thing you do when you're actually happy with it.

On the other hand, he can't win an election on his base, because they're not nearly big enough to win an election. He needs moderate Republicans to think he's basically okay, and he needs non-Republicans to vote for him at all.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024), JoeP (09-12-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 11:12 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

image-247.png

I think when even /pol thinks Trump did badly, that does not count as "hitting it out of the park" for his base.
Old 09-12-2024, 12:48 AM
Admin

How many votes do you think he lost?
Old 09-12-2024, 01:56 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Dunno. One source said:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Washington Post's similar panel scored it as a win for Harris, 23-2. Pre-debate, the panel was leaning 12-10 in favor of Harris (3 third-party); post, it was 15-6 with five saying they were now certain to support Harris (and none saying that of Trump).
Obviously, that's a very small sample, and it's only of "undecided" voters, but among that sample, he lost 40% of the people "leaning" to him. That's pretty brutal.

He talked about the topics his base wants to hear, but he didn't come off well. He was very visibly taking bait and being distracted by it, he wasn't staying on message, and he was saying incredibly stupid shit like the "haitian immigrants eating cats" thing. That's not the message even his supporters actually want, it's just dumb. He didn't come across as in-control or focused or any of the things he wants to be.

Does that in itself affect votes? Eh, maybe not much right away, but if Harris can keep pushing that and use it to shape narrative, it could add up to something.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 12:59 PM
Admin

Meh, I dunno either. I have been listening to that blowhard ramble incoherently every time he's in front of a microphone for my whole adult life and that hasn't yet dissuaded any of his tens of millions of supporters. I'm not sure why they would be bothered by it now.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024), JoeP (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 04:05 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

A lot of people haven't been listening to him ramble incoherently every time, and you can bet that undecided voters are especially unlikely to have been because they're almost by definition uninformed. And that applies especially people who weren't eligible to vote in 2016, or especially 2020.

Presidential debates are one of the few things that can get through to them. And he's less coherent than he used to be, and a lot of people haven't been listening to him more recently (maybe they figure they already know what he's like, not knowing he's not the same as before). He put out a worse performance than he did in the 2016 or 2020 debates, imo.

That said, it probably won't make a large difference in absolute terms, on the scale we think his incoherence and dishonesty ought to. Maybe Harris gains 1 pt off of it. That would still be a big deal in terms of the likelihoods in a close race. But it's plausible she gains more than that.

After all, we've seen the polls move ~7 pts since Biden dropped out, and recede 2 pts from Harris's peak. It doesn't seem unbelievable that things could move in her favor again by numbers in those ranges.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-12-2024), JoeP (09-13-2024), mickthinks (09-12-2024), slimshady2357 (09-12-2024), viscousmemories (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 05:12 PM
Admin

Meanwhile, in Michigan news: Cornel West unfortunately won his fight to be on the ballot but he's only showing 1% in the polls, whereas RFK Jr. has so far lost his fight to be off the ballot and he's showing 5% - hopefully all coming from Trump.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-13-2024), JoeP (09-13-2024), slimshady2357 (09-12-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 05:29 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

iwon.png

there you go
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-13-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 06:09 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Top-tier ratfucking on display here, courtesy of a 4-3 majority of the North Carolina Supreme Court:

Quote:
[The court's] 4–3 decision will compel election administrators to destroy nearly 3 million already-printed ballots that featured Kennedy’s name and redesign 2,348 different ballot styles across the state to accommodate the eleventh-hour change. This complex process will significantly delay the distribution of new ballots—which will, in turn, unlawfully abridge early voting for everyone while jeopardizing the voting rights of service members overseas in clear contradiction of federal statute. It’s a nightmare for local election officials, who must now disregard the laws they’re sworn to uphold.
No one seems to believe at this point that the pussy ass bitch has a viable path to 270 without North Carolina.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-13-2024), BrotherMan (09-14-2024), Ensign Steve (09-13-2024), mickthinks (09-13-2024), Pyrrho (09-13-2024), slimshady2357 (09-13-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), viscousmemories (09-14-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 10:30 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Rule 34 threw up its own mouth a little now that it appears Laura Loomer may be blowing Donald Trump.

Meanwhile, J. Divans appears determined to incite right wing murder in Springfield, OH.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-14-2024), davidm (09-13-2024), Ensign Steve (09-16-2024), slimshady2357 (09-14-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 11:42 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Rule 34 threw up its own mouth a little now that it appears Laura Loomer may be blowing Donald Trump.

Meanwhile, J. Divans appears determined to incite right wing murder in Springfield, OH.
J. Divans.

:roflcopt:
Old 09-14-2024, 02:46 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Jay Kuo is informative and entertaining: Right wing nut job and conspiracy peddler Laura Loomer has entered the chat.

“From the link” This, by the way, is the precise moment irony choked on a pet and died on the Capitol steps, as Greene voiced concerns about Loomer’s “rhetoric and hateful tone.”
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-15-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-14-2024), viscousmemories (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 03:27 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Continuing to dump on Trump because of the ‘eating cats’ issue will create blowback on Nov. 5. Haitian voodoo is in fact real, and to dismiss the story out-of-hand rather than listen to the citizens of Springfield, Ohio confirms in the minds of many voters the stereotype of Democrats as smug elite jerks who think they’re too smart to listen to anyone outside their own silo.
~ Marianne Williamson, "major Democrat" (per the Associated Press)

As always, thanks a pantload, Oprah.

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (09-16-2024), mickthinks (09-14-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), viscousmemories (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 03:35 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Voodoo may be real, but the one person in Springfield credibly accused of eating a cat wasn't an immigrant.

Also worth noting the immigrants are legal immigrants who were broadly credited with saving the town after the town was having an economic disaster and desperately needed people to move there and take jobs.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (09-16-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-15-2024), Sock Puppet (09-16-2024), viscousmemories (09-15-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 08:45 PM

We haven't mentioned anything about the next shooter considering a Trump assassination, have we?

Live updates: Suspect in apparent Trump assassination attempt faces gun charges | AP News
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 03:47 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

i mean, what's to say? i think it just seems normal now. like, yeah, a lot of people want to shoot trump, so far all republicans i guess.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
i mean, what's to say? i think it just seems normal now. like, yeah, a lot of people want to shoot trump, so far all republicans i guess.
This guy seems more bipartisan but yeah, not much more to say at this point.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 05:08 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

What else can we do? We give our thoughts and prayers. It's just a fact of life now.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-17-2024), slimshady2357 (09-17-2024), Sock Puppet (09-17-2024), specious_reasons (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 05:48 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
That’s real fucking nice seebs.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:46 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Sorry the crazy shooters weren't able to fit into a narrative that you wanted? Not sure what you want seebs to do about it.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 08:09 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Sorry the crazy shooters weren't able to fit into a narrative that you wanted? Not sure what you want seebs to do about it.
She wants seebs to lie and say that the shooters were ANTIFA financed by Biden/Harris and the Deep State. The fits nicely with her imaginary view of reality.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law