Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-06-2024, 11:41 PM
Admin

Default Re: 2024 Presidential Election Shittastic Shittacular

Seems like a very normal guy with sensible progressive politics and only lukewarm support for genocide, so probably the best of all possible worlds. I'll take it.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-08-2024), JoeP (08-07-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-07-2024), specious_reasons (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 05:52 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Seems like a very normal guy with sensible progressive politics and only lukewarm support for genocide, so probably the best of all possible worlds. I'll take it.
After the Philadelphia speech, I think a big reason why Harris picked him is that his "Minnesota nice" insults are really landing. He's an attack dog making Dad Jokes, which all seem more earnest and pleasant, but are still harsh slams on their opponents. He made a couch joke about Vance, and then said "You see what I did there?" FFS.

It also means that Harris doesn't have to do the negative campaigning, let's see how the campaign takes advantage of this.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-07-2024), Crumb (08-08-2024), Ensign Steve (08-08-2024), JoeP (08-07-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-07-2024), Pyrrho (08-07-2024), slimshady2357 (08-07-2024), Sock Puppet (08-07-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-07-2024), viscousmemories (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 05:07 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I like the picture of Walz in hunting gear with his dog, with someone tagging Noem and saying "note how his gun is pointed AWAY from his dog".

Suspicion: Trump's got trauma from being shot at (totally legit and normal human response) and is not able to do more events, which is a problem for campaigning, and also, without him to guide people as to who's the target of today's two-minute hate, they're flailing around randomly a lot.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-08-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 02:04 PM
Admin

I watched the Detroit rally from start to finish in real time and it was downright inspiring. Unfortunately the only clip flooding my social media feeds last night was the 25 seconds in which Harris snapped at anti-genocide protestors that they should either admit they want Trump to win or shut up and let her talk. It was a shitty thing for her to say, but also (of course) taken out of context. The context:

1. Harris met with the "uncommitted" team prior to the rally, listened to them, and reportedly expressed willingness to consider an arms embargo on Israel.

2. When the protestors disrupted her speech she initially smiled and said this is democracy, all voices are important, etc. But after several minutes of trying to resume her speech and being interrupted again and again, she said the above quip.

I get that this is politics, but there is a fine line between putting necessary pressure on politicians and actively trying to sabotage their campaign, and in my opinion the people sharing the 25 second clip without adding the above context are crossing it. I think a lot of these people are letting their anger and frustration with the government turn them into essentially unwitting accelerationists, but they need to understand that there is no universe in which the Democrats losing in November results in the immediate collapse of the American empire and freedom and happiness for all. Someone tell them, please.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-08-2024), Crumb (08-08-2024), erimir (08-08-2024), JoeP (08-09-2024), mickthinks (08-08-2024), Pyrrho (08-08-2024), slimshady2357 (08-08-2024), Sock Puppet (08-08-2024), specious_reasons (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Forum gadfly

This election is weird

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 08-08-2024, 05:28 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
This election is weird
Ya think?

Keystone Cops weird, or Nosferatu weird?
Old 08-08-2024, 09:47 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Tim Walz Fixed Your Bicycle

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-09-2024), specious_reasons (08-08-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:13 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
WOW Harris picked Walz :eek:
It's cute that you actually think she had any part of it.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 08-08-2024, 10:14 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
This election is weird
Ya think?

Keystone Cops weird, or Nosferatu weird?
Total clown world.

With a very dark underbelly.

It's like the clown is creepy and fake happy, while at the same time trying to blow the head off of the leading candidate

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 08-09-2024, 04:51 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

I don't think the weird has even started.

Get Ready Now: Republicans Will Refuse to Certify a Harris Win
slimshady2357 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:52 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

:fuming:
Old 08-09-2024, 05:18 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Oh yes and also. En re: Klown Rittenhouse: I never thought the party of Face Eating Leopards would eat MY face!
Hold my beer. -Q

Kyle Rittenhouse Said He Won't Vote Trump, So QAnon Says He's Trans

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-09-2024), Ensign Steve (08-09-2024), erimir (08-10-2024), JoeP (08-09-2024), slimshady2357 (08-09-2024), Sock Puppet (08-09-2024), specious_reasons (08-09-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-10-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

BrotherMan (08-10-2024), Ensign Steve (08-10-2024), JoeP (08-10-2024), slimshady2357 (08-10-2024), Sock Puppet (08-09-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 12:43 PM
Admin

Thank god she listened to her advisors and responded to the anti-genocide protesters differently in Arizona last night.
People are still saying it's empty rhetoric, but there is no way it isn't far better than the recycled girlboss condescension she used in Detroit.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-10-2024), slimshady2357 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 05:37 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-11-2024), JoeP (08-11-2024), Sock Puppet (08-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 01:31 PM
Admin

I was disappointed that Harris didn't reiterate her call for a ceasefire at the Las Vegas rally. I had hoped that her rhetoric in Arizona was a permanent addition, not just a clever way to handle disruptions. There weren't any audible/acknowledged protests last night so there wasn't any comment about the genocide. I don't understand why. Over 50% of Democrats believe that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, and there is broad support for a ceasefire. Moreover the crowd in Arizona responded to her ceasefire rhetoric (which to be clear was the most non-committal response short of no response at all) with thunderous applause and cheers. Why drop it in Las Vegas?
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 08:11 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

It's a third-rail issue. If you suggest that there's something wrong with anything Israel does, you get accused of anti-semitism. If you don't, you get accused of enabling genocide. Anything you say will piss off a lot of people, and hurt your chances of getting votes.

Anyone whose actual goal is protecting Palestinians will obviously vote against Trump, because the only reason the genocide would stop under Trump is that he'd make sure it completed successfully. The people who are pushing the idea that we should all let Trump win just to make the point that Harris should have been more strongly anti-genocide are either insane or part of the usual run of attempts to make leftist purity culture a weapon against the left.

There are a lot of other issues you can campaign on where there's a viable position you can stake out that is broadly popular and won't be easily weaponized against you. It doesn't make sense to try to campaign on an issue where there's no way to take any stance that won't drive people away.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-13-2024), JoeP (08-11-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-11-2024), Pyrrho (08-11-2024), Sock Puppet (08-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 12:35 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
It's a third-rail issue. If you suggest that there's something wrong with anything Israel does, you get accused of anti-semitism. If you don't, you get accused of enabling genocide. Anything you say will piss off a lot of people, and hurt your chances of getting votes.
No doubt.

Quote:
Anyone whose actual goal is protecting Palestinians will obviously vote against Trump, because the only reason the genocide would stop under Trump is that he'd make sure it completed successfully.
Your unstated assumption is that people "approach the electoral domain instrumentally, not as a moment for moral declaration" (to borrow Adolph Reed's phrasing), but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Quote:
The people who are pushing the idea that we should all let Trump win just to make the point that Harris should have been more strongly anti-genocide are either insane or part of the usual run of attempts to make leftist purity culture a weapon against the left.
I haven't seen anyone come out and say "let Trump win" but many people saying "let the Democrats lose". I actually think there's an epidemic of magical thinking on this that goes something like "if enough people refuse to support the Democrats, the genocide will stop". Like the step one, step two, profit meme.

Quote:
There are a lot of other issues you can campaign on where there's a viable position you can stake out that is broadly popular and won't be easily weaponized against you. It doesn't make sense to try to campaign on an issue where there's no way to take any stance that won't drive people away.
It makes sense if a large number of voters and activists in several swing states care enough about the issue to make it a big threat. But then again I think the Harris campaign has enough national momentum, especially from people who care about the overturning of Roe v Wade, that they can take that hit.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-13-2024), JoeP (08-12-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-12-2024), slimshady2357 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:59 PM
angry white woman

You guys probably are not concerned with this since mainstream ain’t your gig. But, Tampon Tim. I get the name. I don’t get thee purpose. I don’t want to discuss the controversy now that it’s controversial.

Okay, when he proposed tampon machines,assumably for pay, like the relics of old, what was he going for? If you are a female between 10 years old in1977 and now you know FULLY that those machines are defunct. And, as a female, you have already planned in advance. This is COMMON female knowledge. So it says A LOT about this old White Fuck trying to be Vigilant ce President
Old 08-13-2024, 12:25 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
You guys probably are not concerned with this since mainstream ain’t your gig. But, Tampon Tim. I get the name. I don’t get thee purpose. I don’t want to discuss the controversy now that it’s controversial.

Okay, when he proposed tampon machines,assumably for pay, like the relics of old, what was he going for? If you are a female between 10 years old in1977 and now you know FULLY that those machines are defunct. And, as a female, you have already planned in advance. This is COMMON female knowledge. So it says A LOT about this old White Fuck trying to be Vigilant ce President
The people who are trying to make "Tampon Tim" a nickname tells me they're the kind of men who get embarrassed buying them for their wives at a store. What brave protectors of women they are!

As far as I'm aware, the machines were intended to be free and the supplies and restocking thereof was supposed to be funded by a state budget. That doesn't mean there's a guarantee they'll be functional and fully stocked when someone gets surprised, so the question becomes, how well did Walz implement this law?

When you find out, let me know!
Old 08-13-2024, 12:27 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:

:lolwat:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:08 AM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:

The people who are trying to make "Tampon Tim" a nickname tells me they're the kind of men who get embarrassed buying them for their wives at a store. What brave protectors of women they are!

As far as I'm aware, the machines were intended to be free and the supplies and restocking thereof was supposed to be funded by a state budget. That doesn't mean there's a guarantee they'll be functional and fully stocked when someone gets surprised, so the question becomes, how well did Walz implement this law?

When you find out, let me know!
Free tampons for men! While the tampon machines of yore
for pay went under several years ago! Let’s hear it for women’s lib!
Old 08-13-2024, 01:09 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Okay, when he proposed tampon machines,assumably for pay, like the relics of old, what was he going for?
I believe they were providing them for free to students.
Quote:
If you are a female between 10 years old in1977 and now you know FULLY that those machines are defunct. And, as a female, you have already planned in advance. This is COMMON female knowledge.
Not everyone has planned in advance and not everyone has a lot of money for products (I imagine some girls use products for longer than is hygienic because they're trying to stretch a budget).

And, in particular, I imagine that 10-14 year olds are the demographic most likely to not have planned in advance, whereas this will make it so they will have something available nonetheless.
Quote:
So it says A LOT about this old White Fuck trying to be Vigilant ce President
Ummm... what? I assume you meant "Vice President", but uh, what does it say, exactly?
Quote:
Free tampons for men! While the tampon Maxine’s for pay sundry several years ago! Let’s hear it for women’s lib!
The tampons are free for any students who need them.

In most schools, there won't be any reason for them to be anywhere but the girls' room. The point is merely to say that if for some reason they're needed elsewhere, that will be funded as well (realistically speaking, that means "if they have a trans boy as a student").

But in most schools that won't be needed, so they won't be present in the boys' bathroom.

And I don't think anything bad happens if boys see tampons. As it turns out, lots of boys have mothers and/or sisters who use tampons, often storing them in the very same bathroom the boys use. Yet, they do not become trans or gay by seeing them. I'm not sure what's with the ominous scaremongering about exposing boys to tampons.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-13-2024), Ensign Steve (08-13-2024), JoeP (08-13-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-13-2024), slimshady2357 (08-13-2024), Sock Puppet (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 02:27 AM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
The study conducted by Harris Insights & Analytics of 1,000 teens ages 13 to 19 found 20% — one in five — of teenage girls surveyed can’t afford to purchase menstrual hygiene products. It also states that two-thirds of respondents feel stress because they don’t have access to tampons and pads, 61% have worn tampons more than four hours, 25% missed class because they didn’t have access to tampons or pads, and 83% think lack of access “is not talked about enough.”
Report finds 'period poverty' a top reason girls miss school | K-12 Dive
Crumb (08-13-2024), Ensign Steve (08-13-2024), erimir (08-13-2024), JoeP (08-13-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-13-2024), LarsMac (08-13-2024), slimshady2357 (08-13-2024), Sock Puppet (08-13-2024), Stephen Maturin (08-13-2024), viscousmemories (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

It's almost funny watching the wingnuts trying to portray the fellow who wears more eye liner than Madonna during the Lucky Star era is the real He-Man in the VP race.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-14-2024), JoeP (08-13-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-13-2024), slimshady2357 (08-13-2024), Sock Puppet (08-13-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law