Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The more sensible argument is – Time as such runs the same everywhere but it is the Clocks that get affected by gravity and motion. So the clocks tick differently in different gravitational fields despite the Time running same everywhere; and hence is the above observed difference.

Luckily, the time correction (for the GPS systems) remains the same whichever way one thinks.
Retcooooooon
Quote:
peacegirl, there is actually a word for exactly that - it is retcon - which is a device used to correct internal inconsistencies within a work of fiction. When you refer to "the efferent account" or "the way the eyes [work] in the efferent account", it's like saying "the way the spice melange works in the Dune account." Facts have no bearing on it, because it is made up. It's easy to correct internal inconsistencies in made-up stuff, just by making up other stuff! It happens all the time on TV; in fact, it's hard to avoid after a few seasons.

This is to be distinguished from science, where an internal inconsistency means that you made a mistake and need to at least repeat the experiment, definitely review the experiment design, and maybe revisit or discard the theory.
Retcon, my foot. Your words are meaningless because you don't even know the first thing about his claim. Can you explain it Chuck? Where is the inconsistency other than it's inconsistent with the present theory of sight? Based on the opinions of others (you're just a copycat; you're not thinking for yourself), you immediately assume he was wrong which makes me a target for ridicule. The worst thing a person can do in a serious debate is give their opinion on something they know nothing about or have any understanding of. You don't even know what his observations were, so how in god's name are you in a position to determine its correctness?

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 02-01-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
The more sensible argument is – Time as such runs the same everywhere but it is the Clocks that get affected by gravity and motion. So the clocks tick differently in different gravitational fields despite the Time running same everywhere; and hence is the above observed difference.
:foocl:

I can’t even … I don’t … what??

*gasps trying to catch breath from laughter*

Hey peacegirl, I thought you told us that time doesn’t exist, remember? Now you’ve googled up a wackadoodle who thinks not only that time exists, but that time as such exists. Whoa!

Peacegirl, could you please email your latest shit-for-brains and ask him which clock keeps track of time as such? That way we can all synchronize our watches. :yup:

I can understand why you think time doesn’t exist, though. I suppose when you’re in an alcoholic haze 24/7, all moments are pretty much alike.

In any event, I am glad we are back to relativity debunking. That was great fun last time. Could you please again quote the guy who thinks the value of pi is 4? kthnks.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (03-19-2018), ChuckF (02-01-2016), chunksmediocrites (02-01-2016), Dragar (02-01-2016), Stephen Maturin (02-01-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

The NIST-F1 cesium fountain "time as such" clock is located right here in Colorado. :yup:

The pi=4 guy was pretty good, but I'm really looking forward to the return of the evolution denier who spent years and years trying to build a Christian AI from coded instructions in the Book of Revelation.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (03-19-2018), ChuckF (02-01-2016), chunksmediocrites (02-01-2016), Dragar (02-01-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
a serious debate
:lol: peacegirl, is that what you think this is? A serious debate over, you know, do we see with eyes?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (02-01-2016), chunksmediocrites (02-01-2016), Dragar (02-01-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:

I can’t even … I don’t … what??

*gasps trying to catch breath from laughter*

Hey peacegirl, I thought you told us that time doesn’t exist, remember? Now you’ve googled up a wackadoodle who thinks not only that time exists, but that time as such exists. Whoa!

Peacegirl, could you please email your latest shit-for-brains and ask him which clock keeps track of time as such? That way we can all synchronize our watches. :yup:

I can understand why you think time doesn’t exist, though. I suppose when you’re in an alcoholic haze 24/7, all moments are pretty much alike.

In any event, I am glad we are back to relativity debunking. That was great fun last time. Could you please again quote the guy who thinks the value of pi is 4? kthnks.
I said that time is not a dimension David. There is no past or future, just the present. There is no dilation of time. There are no block universes and no black holes that could take you back in time if we were to travel faster than the speed of light. That means that the possibility of building a time machine is pure gobbledygook. Now who has shit for brains? :biglaugh:

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
a serious debate
:lol: peacegirl, is that what you think this is? A serious debate over, you know, do we see with eyes?
Please stop while you have a chance. Your ignorance is becoming very obvious. You can't answer any of my questions. Not one. You are like thedoc who blathers and blathers and blathers, yet has nothing to say. It's all hot air!

Last edited by peacegirl; 02-01-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
The worst thing a person can do in a serious debate is give their opinion on something they know nothing about or have any understanding of.

You don't even know what his observations were, so how in god's name are you in a position to determine its correctness?
If I were a real masochist I would go through this thread and count how many times you have expressed an opinion on something you knew nothing about and understood even less, starting with your fathers book, and then we have science.

No-one knows what your fathers observations were because neither you nor your father have ever bothered to specify what those observations were, when they were done, or what was observed. The subject is totally devoid of information. So in that sense you are correct, but his conclusions were completely wrong and they can be checked and verified. .
Angakuk (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I said that time is not a dimension David. There is no past or future, just the present. There is no dilation of time.
Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. You and your father have said a lot of things that are outside of reality, just saying them does not make them reality.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
You are like thedoc

Hay I'm famous! can I put that on my resume?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I said that time is not a dimension David.
Yes, you did say that. You say all sorts of stupid things. That is why you are considered the village idiot here at :ff:

:pat:

Quote:
There is no dilation of time.
Oh no? What do you think the latest shit-for-brains you googled unwittingly described?

If there is no time dilation, then google your latest shit-for-brains, and ask him what clock tells us "time as such" so that we can all synchronize our watches. I'd love to hear his answer!

Christ, you are fucking stupid.
Thanks, from:
But (03-19-2018), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you did say that. You say all sorts of stupid things. That is why you are considered the village idiot here at :ff:

Quote:
Oh no? What do you think the latest shit-for-brains you googled unwittingly described?

If there is no time dilation, then google your latest shit-for-brains, and ask him what clock tells us "time as such" so that we can all synchronize our watches. I'd love to hear his answer!

Why Time Dilation
must be Impossible

A central tenet of Special Relativity (SR) is the idea that the experience of time is a local phenomenon. Each object at a point in space can have its own version of time which may run faster or slower than at other objects elsewhere. Relative changes in the experience of time are said to happen when one object moves toward or away from another object. This is called ‘time dilation’ and can cause clocks to run at different speeds in different locations.

Here’s how it happens: Suppose we have two clocks: A and B, which are known to be very accurate. Clock A is standing still while clock B zooms toward it, narrowly missing. As B passes A, we observe that they are perfectly synchronized. Clock B then continues to move away from A as pictured below. SR tells us that because B is moving away from A, its time will be running slower than A, and will gradually fall behind time-wise.

cont. at: Why Time Dilation Must Be Impossible

Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Why Time Dilation
must be Impossible

A central tenet of Special Relativity (SR) is the idea that the experience of time is a local phenomenon. Each object at a point in space can have its own version of time which may run faster or slower than at other objects elsewhere. Relative changes in the experience of time are said to happen when one object moves toward or away from another object. This is called ‘time dilation’ and can cause clocks to run at different speeds in different locations.

Here’s how it happens: Suppose we have two clocks: A and B, which are known to be very accurate. Clock A is standing still while clock B zooms toward it, narrowly missing. As B passes A, we observe that they are perfectly synchronized. Clock B then continues to move away from A as pictured below. SR tells us that because B is moving away from A, its time will be running slower than A, and will gradually fall behind time-wise.

cont. at: Why Time Dilation Must Be Impossible

It took me five seconds of reading your brand-new shit-for-brains that he/she/it fails to comprehend the difference between inertial frames and accelerated frames. Understanding the difference would clear up his/her/its massive confusion. :yup:

Amazing how stupid are the people you quote. Just like you.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (02-01-2016), Dragar (02-01-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
You can't answer any of my questions. Not one.
Holy fuck. Did you really just say that? Is there no limit to your hypocrisy?
Angakuk (02-02-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Your words are meaningless because you don't even know the first thing about his claim. Can you explain it Chuck? Where is the inconsistency other than it's inconsistent with the present theory of sight?
We see the inconsistencies every time you attempt to explain it. You immediately begin contradicting yourself and retracting your own answers, denying that you even gave them.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), The Man (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33 PM

Some of your now retracted claims:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
How does the brain use these impulses to see in real time? Imagine a big traffic light seen from a great distance, and which has just changed from red to green. How does the brain use impulses from the optic nerve saying that red photons are hitting the retina to look out and see a green light?
The second the light changed, the green wavelengths would be at the retina...
You have now retracted this claim, saying instead that there will be a small time delay before green photons are at the retina. This means we do not see in real time, and you still have no idea where these green photons come from or how they get to the retina before they have had time to travel there from the traffic light.

Quote:
Quote:
Where and when did these green photons begin to exist?
When the object turned green. You will not accept my answer...
Ironically, I did accept your answer, but you have since disowned it, denying that you ever even said this. You still have no idea where or when the green photons, now only near-instantly at the retina, began to exist.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Me: Where and when did these green photons begin to exist?
You: When the object turned green.
I did not say that.
You did so! Why do you keep lying about your own words, when we can SHOW YOU where you said them? Look:

Quote:
Quote:
When the object turned green.
Were those your words? Do you remember typing them?

Quote:
We see the light turn green instantly if it meets the conditions, which does not mean the green wavelength/frequency began to exist at that instant. How would we be able to use that light to see if it just came into existence?
I don't know. It's your bizarre theory, not mine. If the green photons at the retina existed before the light turned green, where did they come from and when did they begin to exist?

Quote:
IOW, we would not be able to see the Sun turned on instantly if the light had not become luminous enough which takes time but not the time that you imagine (not 8 minutes). Just like the candle being turned on, it doesn't take more than a nanosecond for that light to be at our eyes because it's a closed system.
We were not talking about the Sun or a candle. We were talking about a very distant traffic light. Do the green photons come from the traffic light, and travel from there to the retina in a nanosecond? If so, you have them traveling faster than light; if not, then where and when did they begin to exist?

Quote:
It doesn't matter. There has to be enough light for the object to be seen. In this case we would see the traffic light change instantly, about the length of time it would take the light from a candle to be at our eyes in a closed room.
Of course it matters. You can't tell me the green photons will be travelling in a direction determined by the angle at which they struck the object when they haven't struck any object.

You are now rejecting your previous claim that there will be green photons instantly at the retina, claiming instead that there will be some minuscule time delay. Fine, but that still doesn't answer my question of where and when these green photons began to exist. If they came from the traffic light, then you have them travelling faster than the speed of light—and you also have them getting to the retina, contrary to your previous denials.

Quote:
No, the photons that you're speaking of do not begin to exist at that instant.
Fine, then when do they begin to exist? Before or after the traffic light turns green? And where are they when they first begin to exist?

Quote:
They travel, but the travel time is virtually nil. That's what you are not grasping. You still think that light has to travel (the afferent model of sight) 8 minutes to reach our eyes for us to utilize that light. But that's not the case in the efferent model. That's why Lessans said light has to be at the object ONLY. That is also why we would be able to see the Sun being turned on, but not see each other for 8 minutes. Do you even understand what I'm saying?
Do you understand what you're saying? Where are these green photons travelling from, where are they travelling to, and have they covered this distance faster than the speed of light? Photons cannot travel huge distances in a nanosecond. Light cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Quote:
What do you mean, WHERE are these photons or in what direction will they be traveling.
I mean just that. It's a perfectly simple question expressed in clear English. What part of the question confuses you? I can re-express the question taking into account your nanosecond time-delay if you like:

You have said that there will be green photons near-instantly at the retina, in less time than it would take them to travel from the newly-turned-green traffic light to the retina, so...

(Please note that this question has nothing to do with whether or not there is any information in the travelling light.)
Bump.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
STOP THE BS!!! :wave:
Stop the lies and evasion.

Quote:
Quote:
I have said that the photons are at the retina if the conditions of efferent vision are met.
This part of YOUR account is what these questions are asking you about. They are not based on the afferent account, and do not make any afferent assumptions. Please answer them from the efferent perspective based only on your own account.

Quote:
Please answer my questions about THESE photons (the ones at the camera film or retina on Earth at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited), and without mentioning or reverting to any other different photons.

You need photons at the camera film or retina when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get to the film by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

Don't commit the postman's mistake by talking about different photons from those which are at the film/retina at 12:00. Don't even mention any photons other than those I have asked about. If you get to the end of the questions and realize the photons you are talking about are not the ones at the film/retina at 12:00, then you have fucked up again and have failed to actually answer what was asked.
Five words and you're done. Is that so hard?
Bump.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

There seems to be a complete disconnect between what Peacegirl has edited in Lessans book, what she types in a post to this thread, and what she remembers from either. She is constantly contradicting herself and Lessans, and sometimes posting an argument against her own post. It's like she can't remember which lie she has told when and is constantly inventing new lies to cover the old ones.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), Spacemonkey (02-01-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Some of your now retracted claims:

Quote:
Quote:
How does the brain use these impulses to see in real time? Imagine a big traffic light seen from a great distance, and which has just changed from red to green. How does the brain use impulses from the optic nerve saying that red photons are hitting the retina to look out and see a green light?
The second the light changed, the green wavelengths would be at the retina...
You have now retracted this claim, saying instead that there will be a small time delay before green photons are at the retina. This means we do not see in real time, and you still have no idea where these green photons come from or how they get to the retina before they have had time to travel there from the traffic light.

Quote:
Quote:
When the object turned green. You will not accept my answer...
Ironically, I did accept your answer, but you have since disowned it, denying that you ever even said this. You still have no idea where or when the green photons, now only near-instantly at the retina, began to exist.
I have said for ages now that a nanosecond to reach the eye is not 8 minutes. Actually, if we are within the object's field of view and that object is bright enough and large enough to be seen, the photons would already be at the retina. That would be like walking into a room that is lit by a candle. We would see the candle instantly because the light is falling on our retina instantly. If the candle was just being lit, it would take a nanosecond or less to be at the retina. Same with the Sun. This is in contrast to your 8 minute delay.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I have said for ages now that a nanosecond to reach the eye is not 8 minutes. Actually, if we are within the object's field of view and that object is bright enough and large enough to be seen, the photons would already be at the retina. That would be like walking into a room that is lit by a candle. We would see the candle instantly because the light is falling on our retina instantly. If the candle was just being lit, it would take a nanosecond or less to be at the retina. Same with the Sun. This is in contrast to your 8 minute delay.
If there is a nanosecond delay then we DON'T see instantly. And you still can't tell me anything about these photons you claim are near-instantly at the retina. You don't know where they came from, how they got there, or where or when they began to exist. It's almost as if you're making the whole thing up as you go along. And none of this explains why you keep lying about what you've answered and what you've said, and evading every single question I ask you.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (02-02-2016), Dragar (02-01-2016), Stephen Maturin (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
So we can assume that the nanosecond is the time it takes for the candle or the Sun to start producing photons, but the instant they do those photons are instantly at the eye. The question is, and has been, how do the photons instantly get from the Sun or the candle to the eye, without traveling the distance to the eye. Just saying that distance is not a factor is not good enough, you need to provide a better explanation than that, if you cannot, then the whole idea fails for lack of support.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), Spacemonkey (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:30 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
You're asking me to fit a square into a hole.
The correct phrase is "fit a square peg into a round hole". Absent the peg the words make no sense. In any case, you can fit a square peg into round hole, if the hole is enough larger than the peg.
It makes sense to those who are looking for something to make an issue over like you Angakuk. When a person is a stickler for grammatical perfection, it's because they have nothing left to argue. It's a complete dodge.
My response to your post had nothing to do with grammar. Another word you use apparently without knowing what it means.
Dragar (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Do you google specifically for these fruitloops, or do you just happen up on them naturally?
Birds of a feather...?
Dragar (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Can we calculate the speed of sight based on her statements? How BIG is the room that takes sight a nanosecond to cross?
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (02-02-2016), Dragar (02-02-2016), The Man (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
So we can assume that the nanosecond is the time it takes for the candle or the Sun to start producing photons, but the instant they do those photons are instantly at the eye. The question is, and has been, how do the photons instantly get from the Sun or the candle to the eye, without traveling the distance to the eye. Just saying that distance is not a factor is not good enough, you need to provide a better explanation than that, if you cannot, then the whole idea fails for lack of support.
When I say instantly I mean in terms of the efferent account. This is not teleportation, which you keep alluding to. The fact that you believe there is no support for his claim (which I disagree with) does not invalidate his claim. Sorry Spacemonkey, but you will not make me go away!

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy