Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
How many people have made discoveries that got no support until hundreds of years later.
Very few. How many successfully brought a discovery to light by completely disregarding any and all evidence?
Adam (01-27-2014), Angakuk (02-11-2014), Dragar (01-25-2014), LadyShea (01-25-2014), Pan Narrans (01-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (01-25-2014), Vivisectus (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
What a joke.
And you're the punchline.

You routinely evade and ignore my questions no matter how they are asked. You routinely assert without any argument that my reasoning is flawed and even tell me that I don't really believe what I post, even when I am being courteous towards you. So remind me again why I should treat you with anything other than the complete and utter disdain that you deserve.
Angakuk (02-11-2014), Dragar (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 AM

What do people think about this experiment? I'm sure it's familiar.

Scientific Proof Thoughts & Intentions Can Alter The Physical World Around Us - The Mind Unleashed

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
What a joke.

You routinely evade and ignore my questions no matter how they are asked. You routinely assert without any argument that my reasoning is flawed and even tell me that I don't really believe what I post, even when I am being courteous towards you. So remind me again why I should treat you with anything other than the complete and utter disdain that you deserve.
You have not been courteous to me. You have been very condescending to me this whole time, and if I don't agree with you you call me names.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 01-25-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 AM

added to an earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
If a person is asleep he will do things in an unconscious state, but he won't do anything that is against his beliefs. He won't kill someone or do something that his conscience knows is wrong.
But people have killed while sleepwalking. And driven cars causing crashes.
If a person was unconscious while sleepwalking, that means he was not in a state of mind where he could give conscious consent. Therefore, how could he be held accountable for causing a crash when he wasn't consciously aware of what he was doing? I still don't see how a person, even in a sleepwalking state, could kill someone unless there was an underlying motive that his unconscious mind unleashed.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What a joke.

You have not been courteous to me. You are very self-righteous.
When I've been courteous you've lied, weaseled, and evaded just as you are doing now.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Evidence does interest me.
What you mean is that evidence supporting Lessans interests you (or would if there were any). The evidence against him doesn't interest you at all, for as you've already told us, you intend to still believe him no matter what the evidence shows.

Quote:
Lessans' entire book is based on his astute observations which provide evidence for his claims.
Can you give an example of an astute observation from the book, and one of his claims from the book, and then show us (i) how the two are distinct from each other; and (ii) how the one is evidence for the other? Because as best as we can tell, he doesn't provide evidence for any of his claims, and his allegedly 'astute observations' are the very same claims that remain in need of support.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
What you mean is that evidence supporting Lessans interests you (or would if there were any). The evidence against him doesn't interest you at all, for as you've already told us, you intend to still believe him no matter what the evidence shows.

Quote:
Lessans' entire book is based on his astute observations which provide evidence for his claims.
Can you give an example of an astute observation from the book, and one of his claims from the book, and then show us (i) how the two are distinct from each other; and (ii) how the one is evidence for the other? Because as best as we can tell, he doesn't provide evidence for any of his claims, and his allegedly 'astute observations' are the very same claims that remain in need of support.
Apologize or :wave:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What a joke.

You have not been courteous to me. You are very self-righteous.
When I've been courteous you've lied, weaseled, and evaded just as you are doing now.
You have never been courteous. Just because I have a different worldview does not entitle you to treat me like crap Spacemonkey.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
You have never been courteous.
That is yet another lie.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-25-2014, 02:55 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
added to an earlier post:

Quote:
Quote:
If a person is asleep he will do things in an unconscious state, but he won't do anything that is against his beliefs. He won't kill someone or do something that his conscience knows is wrong.
If a person was unconscious while sleepwalking
Um, they are asleep.

Quote:
that means he was not in a state of mind where he could give conscious consent.
Yes, hence my posting about it to get your response.

Quote:
Therefore, how could he be held accountable for causing a crash when he wasn't consciously aware of what he was doing?
Is driving while unconscious, "something that his conscience knows is wrong"? Is "the agent ultimately responsible for giving the okay to perform the action(of sleepdriving)"? Is the unconscious person "agreeing" to drive while asleep? If yes to any of those, then please clarify your position because you are saying contradictory things such as "a person cannot do what he doesn't agree to do whether it's on a conscious level or not".

Quote:
I still don't see how a person, even in a sleepwalking state, could kill someone unless there was an underlying motive that his unconscious mind unleashed.
Maybe you should learn how it happens before making strong claims about it
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
LOL

So even if we do not consent to something and do it anyway, we must have consented to it, because if this is not the case then Peacegirl needs to change her beliefs.

You really do start out with the belief that your book is 100% correct and then just work back from there huh?
Your recent posts are nothing more than a bunch of sarcasm, therefore you are now officially joining thedoc on ignore island. Goodbye. :wave:

Oh for joy! I'm getting some company on Ignore Island. I hope you like fish, but remember we must do it backwards, we stand in the water and cast our hooks onto the beach. If you understand Lessanology you'll know why.
That's why you and thedoc will get along just fine. Have fun fishing backwards. :giggle:

Ahh, so in reality it's only "Pretend Ignore Island", what a relief. I was concerned that Peacegirl was missing all my wisdom that I was posting for her benefit.
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:04 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Criminy! You'd sound a lot less stupid if you'd make even a minimal effort to educate yourself.
I must protest, Peacegirl has made the minimal effort to educate herself, if you count the very minimal as 'none at all'.
Angakuk (02-11-2014), The Lone Ranger (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Show me an example. Even if the law can use this in a court of law, it will not hold because you cannot do what you disagree to, so obviously, he gave his permission. His brain didn't tell him in a schizophrenic episode to do what he did not consent to. Why don't you get this other than it would ruin your chances of trying to prove Lessans wrong. :eek:
LOL

So even if we do not consent to something and do it anyway, we must have consented to it, because if this is not the case then Peacegirl needs to change her beliefs.

You really do start out with the belief that your book is 100% correct and then just work back from there huh?
I know you edited this response at some point...did you finally read the links I provided with multiple examples?

So, do you maintain that people that do horrible and bizarre things in their sleep have agreed to it and "given" their permission (given by whom to whom?)...somehow? How do they agree with themselves? How do they give permission to themselves? How does this agreement and permission process take place within a single entity?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I have never had to discuss these side issues, but they have no bearing on the fact that nothing in this world can make us do anything against our will, if we don't want to do it.

Not true at all. Just this evening my wife heated up some stew and left the metal handled dipper in the stew after she had served herself. When I went to get some the handle was to hot to hold, so when I tried to grab it, I had to let go because it was too hot. I wanted to pick up the dipper, that was my will, but I had to let go because the handle was hot. I let go of the handle against my will, so there are conditions in this world that will make us do things that are against our will. I wanted to pick up the dipper, but against my will to do so, I couldn't. Just to be clear, letting go of the handle was 'against my will' OK.
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have said and will continue to say that there is only one core definition of determinism, but there is confusion as to what this means. It does not mean we are caused to do something by our heredity or our environment that we don't want to do, which the standard definition implies.
Do you have any idea what you're saying here? Is it what you really mean this time? Please state the "core definition" and the "standard definition" and explain how they differ.
What is your problem Spacemonkey? Can't you get it through your head that I'm not talking to you? :popcorn:
This is so sad, another lie, Peacegirl is obviously 'talking to Spacemonkey'.
Angakuk (02-11-2014), Spacemonkey (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Cool, keep on spouting off expletives. It's sure going to make me warm and fuzzy toward you and make me want to answer all of your questions. :innocent:

Why start now?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Nothing can make man do what he makes up his mind not to do. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink (if he doesn't want to)
So the woman in Denver on Ambien must have wanted to sleepwalk in 20 degree weather without warm clothes, drive her car while still asleep causing a crash, pee in the street in front of everyone, and physically fight with cops. After all NOTHING could have made her do that, she must have given herself permission and agreed with those actions.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What a joke.

You have not been courteous to me. You have been very condescending to me this whole time, and if I don't agree with you you call me names.

No, it's when you have lied, evaded, weaseled, changed the subject, not answered his questions, moved the goalposts, etc. that he has called you appropriate names. If you ever honestly answered his questions and comments, I believe we would need to call an ambulance for him, from the shock.
Angakuk (02-11-2014), Spacemonkey (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

More company on "Pretend Ignore Island"?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:

Scientific Proof Thoughts & Intentions Can Alter The Physical World Around Us - The Mind Unleashed
Oh, it's familiar, all right.

You are aware that Emoto's claims have been thoroughly demolished, are you not?

His "experiments" were conducted without any kind of controls, and were not blinded. He carefully selected evidence which seemed to support his view and discarded that which did not.

Kind of reminds me of someone else, now that I think of it ...

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by academic integrity.
That may well be the single most truthful and honest thing you've ever written.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-27-2014), Angakuk (02-11-2014), Dragar (01-25-2014), LadyShea (01-25-2014), Pan Narrans (01-27-2014), Spacemonkey (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing can make man do what he makes up his mind not to do. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink (if he doesn't want to)
So the woman in Denver on Ambien must have wanted to sleepwalk in 20 degree weather without warm clothes, drive her car while still asleep causing a crash, pee in the street in front of everyone, and physically fight with cops. After all NOTHING could have made her do that, she must have given herself permission and agreed with those actions.

Ahh, but that was a 'woman' not a 'man' and we all know what women are like, at least Peacegirl thinks she does?

TIC, TIC, TIC,
Angakuk (02-11-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:

I can't speak for others, but I think Dr. Emoto is a class A crackpot.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Your link doesn't work for me, but I will agree that our thoughts and intentions can alter our preception of the world around us, but I do not agree that our thoughts or intentions can change a rock into a loaf of bread, but I'm sure Peacegirl might try to eat it.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy