Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Which celebs did you have in mind? It sounds like your plan is still very vague - I got the impression you were just wrapping up here, and were going to dive fully into promoting the hell out of this book?

It occured to me that Pee wee Herman might be a good choice. I think that Bill Nye has been discredited after having been Boo'd off the stage by a bunch on fundie literalists, for saying that the Moon shone by reflected light, but that can't be right because it would require that light travel.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Which celebs did you have in mind? It sounds like your plan is still very vague - I got the impression you were just wrapping up here, and were going to dive fully into promoting the hell out of this book?

It occured to me that Pee wee Herman might be a good choice. I think that Bill Nye has been discredited after having been Boo'd off the stage by a bunch on fundie literalists, for saying that the Moon shone by reflected light, but that can't be right because it would require that light travel.
Jeesh! Everyone knows we sent a man to the moon to change the light bulb.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
He said numerous times that light does strike the optic nerve.
Numerous times? Prove that with page numbers
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:

Jeesh! Everyone knows we sent a man to the moon to change the light bulb.
Are you trying to say that 'light bulbs' travel, that would be in total contradiction to Lessans. If light doesn't travel then light bulbs can't travel either, that is an indisputable fact.

It is a little known fact that the mission had to be repeated several times, they kept missing the socket because the calculations were based on delayed time seeing. Luckily the light bulbs were already there, because they 'don't travel'.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
He said no direct contact and I stand by that.
Direct contact between what and what? For this to make any sense you need to say "There is no direct contact between X and Y and I stand by that"
Bump
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I would also be interested in what does not have direct contact with what? Lessans stated in the book that the Brain looking out through the eyes, sees the object directly, and peacegirl has stated that there is no distance between the eye and the object being seen. So 'no distance' would mean direct contact, or is this another idiocyncratic use of a term, or is Peacegirl changing it again to 'No direct contact' and no distance between them? Now that is an explination I would really like to see.

LadyShea, could you bump this for me, just in case the ignore is working.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm done defending this. He made a distinction between seeing objects at birth and the eyes reacting to light. I found where he left out "other than light" and where it was written. Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought p. 46 says: "and nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve to cause it."

I added "other than light" only because in his other book he used that exact phrase. View From the Mountain Top p. 41: "But this is a wholly fallacious observation where the eyes are concerned because nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell."

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 PM

[quote=LadyShea;1094885]
Quote:
Quote:
Direct contact between what and what? For this to make any sense you need to say "There is no direct contact between X and Y and I stand by that"
X and Y do not have to have direct contact, but can still be side by side. This isn't how he came to his conclusions, and it won't be how he is proven right either so you're off on a wild goose chase again.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
Quote:
X and Y do not have to have direct contact, but can still be side by side. This isn't how he came to his conclusions, and it won't be how he is proven right either so you're off on a wild goose chase again.
:facepalm:

You were supposed to replace X and Y with whatever you were referring to when you said "there is no direct contact....."

Direct contact between what two things?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012), Vivisectus (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm done defending this. He made a distinction between seeing objects at birth and the eyes reacting to light. I found where he left out "other than light" and where it was written. Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought p. 46 says: "and nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve to cause it."

I added "other than light" only because in his other book he used that exact phrase. View From the Mountain Top p. 41: "But this is a wholly fallacious observation where the eyes are concerned because nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell."
You're a liar. That's not the same sentence you said contained "other than light" in View from the Mountaintop before. You said the phrase appeared in the passage about what babies see, not in the passage regarding the definition of sense organ.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
What are X and Y in the context where he was denying direct contact? This is what you were just asked.
Angakuk (11-08-2012), LadyShea (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why is your story suddenly changing? You first said you added the words "other than light" after finding them in a different sentence from the same page (post #21239). You don't know what you did, do you? You don't remember.
LadyShea (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Peacegirl, it's quite clear from reading the pages we've been discussing that Lessans thought the eyes could not be a sense organ primarily because he thought that this would require there to be images traveling through space to the eyes. This alone shows that he had no idea what he was supposed to be arguing against, as afferent vision does not require anything other than light to be striking the eyes. Lessans thought that for the eyes to be a sense organ, that 'images' in addition to light would have to be striking the optic nerve. He was wrong about that. He never understood the view he was rejecting.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?
No, you missed the entire point he was making.
I didn't. His point was very clear and I've interpreted it correctly.

You are just trying to correct his misconception now, because it is so glaring.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.
Quote:
Light is something from the external world, so he had to qualify what he meant by saying "other than light." But the light does not carry information through space/time.
So? His whole argument was that the eyes are not a sense organ because sense organs use specialized receptors to receive stimuli from the external world.

The eyes sense light using specialized receptors. That makes the eyes a sense organ by the very definition of sense organ Lessans used.

You are such a weasel, trying to twist what he said.

Quote:
Quote:
By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?
Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world... Light is from the external world but it does not travel through space/time with any information from a previous event or object. He was totally correct in saying "other than light." This does not mean that it's like the other sense organs.
You are adding concepts he made no mention of at all. You are twisting what he said. If he meant all that convoluted crap you are reading into his plainly stated words, why didn't he say that?

The addition of "other than light" in that particular place, completely changed the meaning of the sentence and negated the point he was making.

Quote:
Quote:
Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?
Quote:
You don't know what in the world you're talking about. LadyShea, you are putting your foot in your mouth. You think you caught him in a mistake, but you failed again! :glare:
I know exactly what I am talking about. You got caught trying to correct his misconception and you made it worse because now it looks internally contradictory.

He was wrong, but consistent before you added the words "other than light".

Quote:
Quote:
The question is, did Lessans negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?
Quote:
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).
Why you bringing wavelengths into it? He said nothing about that.

And, you're wrong anyway, we have machines that can detect and measure the wavelengths of light as they are reflected or absorbed by objects.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.
Quote:
I answered this.
You evaded it. You never answered it. Do you admit it was an incorrect statement...yes or no?

Quote:
Quote:
Do you admit he was wrong?
Quote:
No. In fact, I am more convinced he is right than ever.
So you are convinced that there are no photoreceptors (which are afferent neurons) in the eyes?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....
because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
Quote:
He said nothing about receptors. He was talking about the optic nerve. He was right when he said nothing, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. That means that light does not bounce off of objects and travel through space/time where it would be received and interpreted by the brain as an image.
Lessans said nothing (you added "other than light"), and he made no mention at all of reflection. What you are doing is reinterpreting what he said to make it fit the facts you have since become aware of.

You think it's okay to just make shit up that he didn't even say. Your explanation doesn't even make sense in the context of the passage being reviewed.

You are so dishonest....just like a fundie in every way.

Quote:
Quote:
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because you think you caught him in a mistake. I think he's right and empirical evidence will bear this out one day.
You think there are no photoreceptors in the eyes? You think photoreceptors are not afferent? Exactly what part of that statement do you think is right and how is it right?

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Quote:
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.
Quote:
Quote:
His book says, other than light, so why are you accusing him of not putting this in his book? What is your problem LadyShea? You're no Sherlock Holmes
Quote:
You missed those words in the book for at least 3 years. You quoted the passage in 2003 and again in 2006 WITHOUT the words "other than light" in that sentence.

You are so full of shit. You suddenly at some point found these three words you missed, but you can't find today in which book they were? Is that passage in his recordings? Did he use "other than light" then? Was it in his published books some of which are available for purchase?
Quote:
Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
Quote:
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words
Quote:
I did not add words, dam it. Why do you keep accusing me of this?
Because you did it.

Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
Quote:
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?
Quote:
Don't play these games with me. You know full well that scientists believe that if we were far enough away and in the right location, we would see a past event as far back as Columbus discovering America.
Which has nothing to do with images traveling.

Light travels. Light detectors form images from light.

Quote:
This means light, according to their logic, is traveling with the frequency and wavelength that would turn up as a past image in the brain, a mirror, or on film.
Light is traveling with a wavelength because traveling and wavelength are both immutable properties of light. If it wasn't traveling, or didn't have a wavelength, it wouldn't be light.

Light detectors, like cameras and eyes, can detect light. And yes, images can be created from light as can be demonstrated with a photograph, perhaps you've seen one?

Still nothing about traveling images.

Quote:
Quote:
Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
Quote:
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.
No response to this, huh? You never evade though.

Your only response has been a whining weasel. I want a real response, please
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
As far as that other post, I maintain that sex and procreation are the underlying motivations for marriage. Ask any "normal" person who is looking for a mate whether they would be satisfied choosing a partner whom they knew beforehand would never be able to provide them with a sexual experience or the possibility of having children, and see what they say. It turns out that the happier a person is sexually, the more in love they feel. Ask anyone. This is no surprise.
I gather that when you refer to someone "choosing a partner whom they knew beforehand would never be able to provide them with a sexual experience" you are referencing people who lack the use of their hands, feet and mouths (and possibly some other body parts) in addition to lacking the use of their genitalia. If that is not what you meant, then it must be the case that there will be no foreplay in the New Environment. That would be just too sad!
thedoc (11-08-2012), Vivisectus (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
I may put out some press releases, and at the same time try to get the book reviewed.
I'll see if Kevin Greene is still available.
Oh my goodness, you will get a repeat of Davidm. He was so offended by the claim that Jupiter was not seen in delayed time that he snuck behind my back to give this review. David didn't have the desire to do this, and should people believe a completely biased review and not want to understand the person who originated it? And you call this good science? :glare::glare::glare:
No, it is called literary criticism. Are you confused about the differences between the two things?

You have mentioned before how this fellow snuck behind your back to do that critique. What exactly do you mean by that and under what circumstances would writing a critique involve sneaking behind the author's back?
LadyShea (11-08-2012), thedoc (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Yeah, how sneaky and behind your back can a review on Amazon be? Amazon is made to have books reviewed.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You were supposed to replace X and Y with whatever you were referring to when you said "there is no direct contact....."

No direct contact between the reflected light and the optic nerve. I don't want to get into transduction again. I will say, for the last time, that empirical proof is not yet established even if you think it is. Only time will tell whether he was right or wrong on this issue.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I may put out some press releases, and at the same time try to get the book reviewed.
I'll see if Kevin Greene is still available.
Oh my goodness, you will get a repeat of Davidm. He was so offended by the claim that Jupiter was not seen in delayed time that he snuck behind my back to give this review. David didn't have the desire to do this, and should people believe a completely biased review and not want to understand the person who originated it? And you call this good science? :glare::glare::glare:
No, it is called literary criticism. Are you confused about the differences between the two things?

You have mentioned before how this fellow snuck behind your back to do that critique. What exactly do you mean by that and under what circumstances would writing a critique involve sneaking behind the author's back?

Actually 'Good Science' would be if Kevin Greene had taken the claims and tested them emperically, and reported back, either in total or individually. However his critique was of the book as a work of literature, and I can see how he may have been confused whether is was 'fiction' or 'religious-fiction'. As it is, the critique was a series of 'astute observations' that were 'spot on'.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No direct contact between the reflected light and the optic nerve. I don't want to get into transduction again. I will say, for the last time, that empirical proof is not yet established even if you think it is. Only time will tell whether he was right or wrong on this issue.
Okay.

So you stand by his claim that there is no direct contact between reflected light and the optic nerve.

And you also insist that Lessans said numerous times that light does strike the optic nerve.

Do we have this right?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Peacegirl, it's quite clear from reading the pages we've been discussing that Lessans thought the eyes could not be a sense organ primarily because he thought that this would require there to be images traveling through space to the eyes. This alone shows that he had no idea what he was supposed to be arguing against, as afferent vision does not require anything other than light to be striking the eyes. Lessans thought that for the eyes to be a sense organ, that 'images' in addition to light would have to be striking the optic nerve. He was wrong about that. He never understood the view he was rejecting.
That is not true at all Spacemonkey. He said the image was not being reflected in the light (meaning the image is not traveling through space/time when the object is no longer present), not that images were separate from light. He knew that light striked the eyes, which is why he said nothing from the external world, other than light... You're completely wrong in your assumption that he believed images, in addition to light, would have to be striking the optic nerve. He was only trying to show that the brain does not decode those impulses into an image which can be seen as normal vision, not that the light doesn't strike the optic nerve.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is known that reflected light does strike the retina, which is the end of the afferant optic nerve, by passing through the lens and the eye. This has been established by an irrifutable mountain of evidence, from tests and little or no evidence to the contrary, except for Lessans unsupported claims. Time will only add to the evidence that Lessans was wrong, and I look forward to additional testing.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
That is not true at all Spacemonkey. He said the image was not being reflected in the light (meaning the image is not traveling through space/time when the object is no longer present), not that images were separate from light. He wasn't wrong about that because that's not what he believed. You're completely wrong in your assumption. He understood very well the view that he was rejecting.
Bullshit. He thought that the account he was rejecting had images traveling that were distinct from the light. Otherwise he wouldn't have agreed that light travels and strikes the eye while denying that images do. He didn't understand that the eyes being a sense organ doesn't require anything other than light to strike the eyes. He repeatedly states that the eyes are not a sense organ because there is nothing other than light striking the eyes.
LadyShea (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
That is not true at all Spacemonkey. He said the image was not being reflected in the light (meaning the image is not traveling through space/time when the object is no longer present), not that images were separate from light. He knew that light striked the eyes, which is why he said nothing from the external world, other than light... You're completely wrong in your assumption that he believed images, in addition to light, would have to be striking the optic nerve. He was only trying to show that the brain does not decode those impulses into an image which can be seen as normal vision, not that the light doesn't strike the optic nerve.

Then what if the object is still present, does he claim that the image travels with the light to the eye?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay.

So you stand by his claim that there is no direct contact between reflected light and the optic nerve.
There is an obvious connection between light and the optic nerve. What those impulses transmit to the brain and what the brain does with those impulses is what is being debated. He did not believe that where the eyes are concerned, the brain functions in the same way as the other senses, due to the fact that there is nothing in the impulses that could be interpreted as normal vision. Rather, those impulses allow the brain to see through the eyes at the external world in real time (as you well know by now). All of your questioning is not going to negate this claim. This will have to be decided through more detailed empirical testing with this claim in mind. If the results contravene this long held belief, then scientists will need to take a second look at what they took for granted was absolute fact.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy