Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
And there should be an addendum. To accuse someone of not being clear enough before they have actually made the effort to understand what is being written, is foolhardy and unwarranted.
No, there should not be any addendum. His point is perfectly clear as it stands.
But as a student, if I haven't done my part in studying what it is that I'm confused about, then it wouldn't be fair of me to blame the teacher or the writer for not understanding the text. That's all I'm saying. Of course you would never agree with me because you would be giving me a point. :yup:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And there should be an addendum. To accuse someone of not being clear enough before they have actually made the effort to understand what is being written, is foolhardy and unwarranted.
No, there should not be any addendum. His point is perfectly clear as it stands.
But as a student, if I haven't done my part in studying what it is that I'm confused about, then it wouldn't be fair of me to blame the teacher or the writer for not understanding the text. That's all I'm saying. Of course you would never agree with me because you would be giving me a point. :yup:
No addendum is needed. What part of "conscientious reader" did you not understand (or not read)?
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I read both quotes carefully and they express exactly what was intended, and they both mean the same thing.
No, they don't. He said that only light can get a reaction from a baby's eyes, and that absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Your edited passage instead says that only light impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Those are two completely different and incompatible meanings. One says that light impinges on the optic nerve, while the other does not.

Everything that Lessans himself ever wrote indicates that he had no idea that light travels or that the eyes contain receptors which light can hit and interact with, and instead indicates that he thought light hung around stationary in clouds of molecules like a gas, illuminating things so that they could be seen from a distance by brains looking out through their receptor-less non-sense-organ eyes. When it came to light and vision, he clearly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012), But (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not weaseling, I'm telling the truth stright up.
No you're not. You're lying, weaseling, and evading just as you always do.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Can you give us any reason at all to believe that what he wrote about conscience was correct?
First of all, I'm not even going to attempt cutting and pasting like I did before. It's useless. You won't give him the benefit of the doubt. You won't even hear the three types of justification that conscience will allow. You tell me he presupposed all these things. I can't make any headway with you, so I'm not going to try.
Another weasel. Did you answer the question? Did you give me any reason to believe that what he wrote about conscience was correct? No. You did not. (And I know exactly what his three justifications were. I've known this for years now.)

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any grounds for believing that a justification will always be required?
Yes I do. Once again, he demonstrates this by showing what conscience needs in order to permit certain actions.
So show me your grounds for thinking that a justification will always be required. Stop weaseling and evading, and answer the question!

Quote:
Quote:
Can you give us any reason at all to believe that his 'observations' concerning conscience were sound?
Yes, the first thing you can is to put yourself in the new world and when you read the chapters, you will see how impossible it would be for you to take advantage of anyone, even in the slightest way, under these conditions. You are projecting and thinking that other people don't have the strong conscience thats others have. This is not true, but you can't see it because we're living in the midst of a civilization that is slowly self-destructing because all we see are criminals, psychotics, sociopaths, accidents, wars, and hatred. The justice system that is in place is a band aid. It punishes but it doesn't solve. Yes, some people have an awakening and are changed when they are incarcerated but the recidivism rate is also very high. Wouldn't you want a world where we can prevent these things before the fact rather than after?
You still haven't given me any reason to think that his 'observations' concerning conscience were correct. All you've done is repeat your claims. At no point have you done anything whatsoever to support them.

Quote:
Quote:
You said you have strong grounds for knowing that without justification man cannot move in the direction of hurting others as a preferable choice. So stop evading and tell me what these 'strong grounds' are.
They are right in Chapter Two. You said you read it, so you should be able to at least give me the three justifications that a person must have. Again, the justification is not always overtly obvious. People carry grudges for years and then suddenly act out by shooting up a crowd of people. But the justification that allowed them to do this was anger at something that was done to them. Obviously, if someone shoots innocent people their anger is misplaced, but it is justified in their mind which conscience gives them a pass on.
Don't just tell me where your grounds are. Present them! Why will a justification always be required? I know what his three justifications were. They doesn't help at all in explaining why he thought a justification will always be required.

Quote:
The minute you say that part of the compatibilist view is that we have free will, this becomes a contradiction. I'm not interested in researching their view because I know it's wrong. I will discuss it with you, and you can tell me where you think I'm wrong, but I'm not going out of my way.
It does not become a contradiction. It only contradicts your ridiculous ideas. It is not internally inconsistent in any way. And you can't possibly know that compatibilism is wrong before you even know what it is or actually says.
Bump.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
He did not mean that you can get a reaction without light impinging on the optic nerve.
He did say exactly that elsewhere though - remember the whole "if the sun was turned on" idiocy?

That means no light is required to be at the retina to see.

Although obviously it is silly to pretend he made sense at all. He himself did not know what he was talking about. He was just too semi-literate to notice.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I read both quotes carefully and they express exactly what was intended, and they both mean the same thing.
No, they don't. He said that only light can get a reaction from a baby's eyes, and that absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Your edited passage instead says that only light impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Those are two completely different and incompatible meanings.
That is not what he meant. He meant that the object was not getting a reaction, only light was, which means that light was striking the optic nerve but nothing was being relayed to the brain to indicate sight. The word "nothing" refers back to the word "object".

In fact, it can be demonstrated
at the birth of a child that the eyes are not a sense organ when it
can be seen that no object, other than light, is capable of getting a
reaction from the eyes because nothing is impinging on the optic
nerve to cause it, although any number of sounds, tastes, touches
or smells can get an immediate reaction since the nerve endings are
being struck by something external.

Quote:
Everything that Lessans himself ever wrote indicates that he had no idea that light travels or that the eyes contain receptors which light can hit and interact with, and instead indicates that he thought light hung around stationary in clouds of molecules like a gas, illuminating things so that they could be seen from a distance by brains looking out through their receptor-less non-sense-organ eyes. When it came to light and vision, he clearly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.
No no no. None of what you just said is true. He stated in the first part of the chapter that light travels at 186,000 miles a second. :doh:

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM

By the way - where is that proof? He said "Now we will prove that the eyes are not a sense organ" and he just waffled on about his half-baked idea. He never presented nay proof... or evidence... or a plausible idea... or even any reason to believe it was the case! Where is the proof?

So was he lying about the proof being there, or did he not notice he had forgotten to provide any?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not weaseling, I'm telling the truth stright up.
No you're not. You're lying, weaseling, and evading just as you always do.

Quote:
Quote:
Can you give us any reason at all to believe that what he wrote about conscience was correct?
First of all, I'm not even going to attempt cutting and pasting like I did before. It's useless. You won't give him the benefit of the doubt. You won't even hear the three types of justification that conscience will allow. You tell me he presupposed all these things. I can't make any headway with you, so I'm not going to try.
Another weasel. Did you answer the question? Did you give me any reason to believe that what he wrote about conscience was correct? No. You did not. (And I know exactly what his three justifications were. I've known this for years now.)

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any grounds for believing that a justification will always be required?
Yes I do. Once again, he demonstrates this by showing what conscience needs in order to permit certain actions.
So show me your grounds for thinking that a justification will always be required. Stop weaseling and evading, and answer the question!

Quote:
Quote:
Can you give us any reason at all to believe that his 'observations' concerning conscience were sound?
Yes, the first thing you can is to put yourself in the new world and when you read the chapters, you will see how impossible it would be for you to take advantage of anyone, even in the slightest way, under these conditions. You are projecting and thinking that other people don't have the strong conscience thats others have. This is not true, but you can't see it because we're living in the midst of a civilization that is slowly self-destructing because all we see are criminals, psychotics, sociopaths, accidents, wars, and hatred. The justice system that is in place is a band aid. It punishes but it doesn't solve. Yes, some people have an awakening and are changed when they are incarcerated but the recidivism rate is also very high. Wouldn't you want a world where we can prevent these things before the fact rather than after?
Quote:
You still haven't given me any reason to think that his 'observations' concerning conscience were correct. All you've done is repeat your claims. At no point have you done anything whatsoever to support them.
I'm giving you what I know to be true. I believe there is a tremendous amount of evidence that he is right when it comes to how conscience functions.

Quote:
Quote:
You said you have strong grounds for knowing that without justification man cannot move in the direction of hurting others as a preferable choice. So stop evading and tell me what these 'strong grounds' are.
They are right in Chapter Two. You said you read it, so you should be able to at least give me the three justifications that a person must have. Again, the justification is not always overtly obvious. People carry grudges for years and then suddenly act out by shooting up a crowd of people. But the justification that allowed them to do this was anger at something that was done to them. Obviously, if someone shoots innocent people their anger is misplaced, but it is justified in their mind which conscience gives them a pass on.
Don't just tell me where your grounds are. Present them! Why will a justification always be required? I know what his three justifications were. They doesn't help at all in explaining why he thought a justification will always be required.
So what are the three justifications Spacemonkey? These were his observations whether you see it or not. These observations are spot on because he was extremely perceptive and was able to see the common theme running through many historical accounts. He saw that people need a justification and he showed what happens when there is none. This knowledge is falsifiable, but you'll have to wait until it can be confirmed empirically. If that's not good enough, there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
The minute you say that part of the compatibilist view is that we have free will, this becomes a contradiction. I'm not interested in researching their view because I know it's wrong. I will discuss it with you, and you can tell me where you think I'm wrong, but I'm not going out of my way.
Quote:
It does not become a contradiction. It only contradicts your ridiculous ideas. It is not internally inconsistent in any way. And you can't possibly know that compatibilism is wrong before you even know what it is or actually says.
Show me where it's consistent. I asked you this before and you never answered.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
That is not what he meant. He meant that the object was not getting a reaction, only light was, which means that light was striking the optic nerve but nothing was being relayed to the brain to indicate sight. The word "nothing" refers back to the word "object".
You don't know what he meant. He never said that light was getting a reaction by impinging on the optic nerve, and he never indicated that by saying "nothing" impinges on the optic nerve that he was making any exception for light. You are just trying to reinterpret his words to justify your botched editing.

Quote:
No no no. None of what you just said is true. He stated in the first part of the chapter that light travels at 186,000 miles a second. :doh:
Unless this is another of your famous forgotten editorial editions, this is true. He did indicate that he thought light travels at a high rate of speed, at least whenever it isn't hanging around in a cloud of molecules illuminating things. But he never said that light impinges on the optic nerve. You made him say that by adding words to his text and changing his meaning.
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I'm giving you what I know to be true. I believe there is a tremendous amount of evidence that he is right when it comes to how conscience functions.
You haven't given me squat. It is possible that you really are so delusional that you think there is "a tremendous amount of evidence" supporting Lessans' claims about conscience. But this doesn't change the fact that neither you nor he have ever presented any whatsoever.

Quote:
So what are the three justifications Spacemonkey?
Retaliation, self-preservation, and responsibility-shifting due to blame.

Quote:
These were his observations whether you see it or not. These observations are spot on because he was extremely perceptive and was able to see the common theme running through many historical accounts. He saw that people need a justification and he showed what happens when there is none. This knowledge is falsifiable, but you'll have to wait until it can be confirmed empirically. If that's not good enough, there's nothing I can do about it.
You're right, it's not good enough and there isn't anything you can do about it. And that is why his non-discovery will continue to be rejected by everyone. No-one has any reason to believe that he was extremely perceptive, or able to see common themes, so no-one has any reason to believe that his 'observations' were spot on. Claiming that he just 'saw' that people need a justification does not in any way support his claims.

All one can ever observe is the actual occurrence of specific events. No-one can directly observe either modal claims (justifications are always necessary) or universal claims (that all justifications are of three types). These can only be inferred from observation, and Lessans never provides any direct observations, and does nothing at all to support his claims about conscience.

Quote:
Show me where it's consistent. I asked you this before and you never answered.
I told you I had already done that, but would do so again if you retracted your false charge that I had contradicted myself. You refused. Compatibilism is consistent because it doesn't say that we both have and do not have free will. It says only that having the freedom to choose without compulsion or coercion and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices is all that is needed for one to be morally responsible for one's actions. It says that contra-causal free will is not the only kind of free will, and that it is not the kind needed to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions. If you see some kind of contradiction here, then the burden is upon you to identify it.
Angakuk (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
By the way - where is that proof? He said "Now we will prove that the eyes are not a sense organ" and he just waffled on about his half-baked idea. He never presented nay proof... or evidence... or a plausible idea... or even any reason to believe it was the case! Where is the proof?

So was he lying about the proof being there, or did he not notice he had forgotten to provide any?
Lessans thought that what he wrote constituted proof. peacegirl is utterly confused about what actual proof is.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012), Spacemonkey (11-04-2012), Vivisectus (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But peacegirl, that is all you ever do is blame everyone when you refuse to do your part and study that which you do not understand. It doesn't appear to dawn on you that the world is full of teachers. Some, like Lessans, are not well respected, and others, whom you choose to ignore, are much better informed and respected.

peacegirl, I know you are batshit insane, but it is rather amazing that it has not dawned on you that the only person on earth who thinks Lessans had anything to teach worth learning, is you.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012), Spacemonkey (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?
No, you missed the entire point he was making.
I didn't. His point was very clear and I've interpreted it correctly.

You are just trying to correct his misconception now, because it is so glaring.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Light is something from the external world, so he had to qualify what he meant by saying "other than light." But the light does not carry information through space/time.
So? His whole argument was that the eyes are not a sense organ because sense organs use specialized receptors to receive stimuli from the external world.

The eyes sense light using specialized receptors. That makes the eyes a sense organ by the very definition of sense organ Lessans used.

You are such a weasel, trying to twist what he said.

Quote:
Quote:
By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?
Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world... Light is from the external world but it does not travel through space/time with any information from a previous event or object. He was totally correct in saying "other than light." This does not mean that it's like the other sense organs.
You are adding concepts he made no mention of at all. You are twisting what he said. If he meant all that convoluted crap you are reading into his plainly stated words, why didn't he say that?

The addition of "other than light" in that particular place, completely changed the meaning of the sentence and negated the point he was making.

Quote:
Quote:
Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?
Quote:
You don't know what in the world you're talking about. LadyShea, you are putting your foot in your mouth. You think you caught him in a mistake, but you failed again! :glare:
I know exactly what I am talking about. You got caught trying to correct his misconception and you made it worse because now it looks internally contradictory.

He was wrong, but consistent before you added the words "other than light".

Quote:
Quote:
The question is, did Lessans negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?
Quote:
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).
Why you bringing wavelengths into it? He said nothing about that.

And, you're wrong anyway, we have machines that can detect and measure the wavelengths of light as they are reflected or absorbed by objects.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.
Quote:
I answered this.
You evaded it. You never answered it. Do you admit it was an incorrect statement...yes or no?

Quote:
Quote:
Do you admit he was wrong?
Quote:
No. In fact, I am more convinced he is right than ever.
So you are convinced that there are no photoreceptors (which are afferent neurons) in the eyes?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....
because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
Quote:
He said nothing about receptors. He was talking about the optic nerve. He was right when he said nothing, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. That means that light does not bounce off of objects and travel through space/time where it would be received and interpreted by the brain as an image.
Lessans said nothing (you added "other than light"), and he made no mention at all of reflection. What you are doing is reinterpreting what he said to make it fit the facts you have since become aware of.

You think it's okay to just make shit up that he didn't even say. Your explanation doesn't even make sense in the context of the passage being reviewed.

You are so dishonest....just like a fundie in every way.

Quote:
Quote:
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because you think you caught him in a mistake. I think he's right and empirical evidence will bear this out one day.
You think there are no photoreceptors in the eyes? You think photoreceptors are not afferent? Exactly what part of that statement do you think is right and how is it right?

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Quote:
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.
Quote:
His book says, other than light, so why are you accusing him of not putting this in his book? What is your problem LadyShea? You're no Sherlock Holmes
[/QUOTE]
You missed those words in the book for at least 3 years. You quoted the passage in 2003 and again in 2006 WITHOUT the words "other than light" in that sentence.

You are so full of shit. You suddenly at some point found these three words you missed, but you can't find today in which book they were? Is that passage in his recordings? Did he use "other than light" then? Was it in his published books some of which are available for purchase?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
Quote:
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words
Quote:
I did not add words, dam it. Why do you keep accusing me of this?
Because you did it.

Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
Quote:
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?
Quote:
Don't play these games with me. You know full well that scientists believe that if we were far enough away and in the right location, we would see a past event as far back as Columbus discovering America.
Which has nothing to do with images traveling.

Light travels. Light detectors form images from light.

Quote:
This means light, according to their logic, is traveling with the frequency and wavelength that would turn up as a past image in the brain, a mirror, or on film.
Light is traveling with a wavelength because traveling and wavelength are both immutable properties of light. If it wasn't traveling, or didn't have a wavelength, it wouldn't be light.

Light detectors, like cameras and eyes, can detect light. And yes, images can be created from light as can be demonstrated with a photograph, perhaps you've seen one?

Still nothing about traveling images.

Quote:
Quote:
Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
Quote:
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.
No response to this, huh? You never evade though.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, my conscience is clear too. I have no need to apologize.
Quote:
You're the liar LadyShea for accusing me of something I didn't do. You've crossed the line.
You did it.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012), But (11-05-2012), Spacemonkey (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 AM
I'm Deplorable.

This is the most fantastic non-fiction book ever written because it will
verify the prediction made in the introduction by producing
unbelievable changes in human relations in the next 25 years. By
discovering the invariable laws of the solar system we were able to
predict an eclipse and land men on the moon. By discovering the
invariable laws that inhere in the mankind system we are able, for the
very first time, to predict and accomplish what was never before
possible — our deliverance from evil.

Hey, I can now cut and paste from the book version 2011.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I missed it somehow. It was difficult combining these books. Actually, I did find one passage in a book that I didn't use that often. It was written in 1969 entitled "View From the Mountain Top" in honor of Martin Luther King.

p. 41 It can be easily demonstrated at the birth of a baby that the eyes are not a sense organ when it can be seen that no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from them because absolutely nothing is impinging on the optic nerve, although any number of sounds, tastes, touches or smells can get an immediate reaction because the nerve endings are being struck by something external.

Well this does not corospond to my PDF copy of the book, which version were you refering to?

"the marbles back and start again. The chance of the white coming out
is still one in a hundred, but the chance of the white coming out first
twice in succession is one in ten thousand (one hundred times one
hundred).
Now try a third time and the chance of the white coming out
three times in succession is one hundred times ten thousand or one
in a million. Try another time or two and the figures become
astronomical. The results of chance are as clearly bound by law as the
fact that two plus two equals four.
In a game in which cards are shuffled and an ace of spades was
dealt to one of the players, ace of hearts to the next, clubs to the third
and diamonds to the dealer, followed by the deuces, the threes and so
on, until each player had a complete set in numerical order, no one
would believe the cards had not been arranged.
The chances are so great against such a happening that it probably
never did happen in all the games played anywhere since cards was
invented. But there are those who say it could happen, and I suppose
the possibility does exist. Suppose a little child is asked by an expert
chess player to beat him at chess in thirty-four moves and the child
makes every move by pure chance exactly right to meet every twist and
turn the expert attempts and does beat him in thirty-four moves. The
expert would certainly think it was a dream or that he was out of his
mind. But there are those who think the possibility of this happening
by chance does exist. And I agree, it could happen, however small the
possibility. My purpose in this discussion of chance is to point out
clearly and scientifically the narrow limits which any life can exist on
earth and prove by real evidence that all the nearly exact requirements
of life could not be brought about on one planet at one time by
chance. The size of the earth, the distance from the sun, the
thickness of the earth’s crust, the quantity of water, the amount of
carbon dioxide, the volume of nitrogen, the emergence of man and his
survival all point to order out of chaos, to design and purpose, and to
the fact that according to the inexorable laws of mathematics all these
could not occur by chance simultaneously on one planet once in a
billion times. It could so occur, but it did not so occur. When the
facts are so overwhelming and when we recognize as we must the
attributes of our minds which are not material, is it possible to flaunt
41"
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Lessans wrote like 7 books. The book you have is a compilation
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Lessans wrote like 7 books. The book you have is a compilation
Understood, I'm just playing with my computer, with the old one I couldn't copy and paste from the PDF. It's like a kid with a new toy, humor me?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
I DO NOT LIE LADYSHEA.
You're an admitted liar, remember?

Quote:
The addition of "other than light" in that particular place, completely changed the meaning of the sentence and negated the point he was making.
In peacegirl's mind, the addition of "other than light" was necessary to save her father from making an idiot of himself. Seymouron quite clearly believed that nothing whatsoever, light included, had to enter the eye for vision to occur. In the Hypothetical of Idiocy, Lessans gibbered that if God turned on the sun we would see it right away, but we would not see anything here on earth until the light arrived 8+ minutes later.

Thus, according to Lessans, we could see the sun without any light having reached us. When ol' Seymouron wrote that light was a "condition of sight," he evidently meant only that whatever we're looking at must be either luminous or illuminated before before our brains, looking out efferently through the window of the eyes, can see it.

That is, of course, moronic. The many discussions of cameras she's had across many different discussion boards apparently made some limited impression on her. She understands, in an infantile sort of way, that cameras are mere light detectors; absent light making actual, physical contact with a camera, it can't work. Since peacegirl wants/needs cameras to mimic the mechanics of human vision, cameras must be "efferent" just light vision. Thus, if cameras are efferent and require the entry of light to work, so must eyes. The "reasoning" fails on every conceivable level, but it has become "undeniable" within the bonds of her itsy bitsy brain.

Thus did a theological crisis arise. Seymouron believed that nothing need enter the eye for vision to occur, and said so in the Sacred Text. peacegirl concluded that was wrong and thus had to deal with an error in her scripture. Being fundamentally dishonest, she simply plugged in the words "other than light" in what she though was an appropriate spot.

Trouble is, she's left a vast paper trail during ten years of Internet gibber-jabber. Thanks to that documentation, she got busted. Now she's concocted a big fat lie about how Lessans wrote in a different book that light enters the eye. Disgraceful.

And the truly sad/funny part is that adding "other than light" did nothing to make Lessans appear even one iota less stupid or wrong. In fact, as you and V have pointed out, she only made matters worse.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012), ceptimus (11-05-2012), Dragar (11-05-2012), Spacemonkey (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post

Too bad this kind of bullshit historicism was exploded by Popper 6 years before Lessans' silly Mountain Top book was even written.

Karl Popper (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Stephen Maturin (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post

Too bad this kind of bullshit historicism was exploded by Popper 6 years before Lessans' silly Mountain Top book was even written.

Karl Popper (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Hey, gimmie a break, I was just trying out if I could cut and paste from my PDF. It was the first thing I came to. I can't help if it was nonsense.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
@peacegirl if you want to be the compiler/editor, you need to listen to where the helpful people of this thread are telling you there are problems. That you don't see the problem is entirely NOT the point. You are so obsessed with it you aren't seeing it clearly... that's where we come in. If we tell you it reads that way, it actually reads that way. You need to fix it.
Peacegirl could never bring herself to edit the holey text. Except for when she does. And then forgets about it. Then gets reminded. And then lies about it. But on the above note, here's a relevant comment from Popper - a lesson which neither Lessans nor his daughter appear to have learned:

"I also learned never to defend anything I had written against the accusation that it is not clear enough. If a conscientious reader finds a passage unclear, it has to be rewritten."
Of course, as we know quite well, there are no conscientious readers in this thread. There are just a bunch of narrow minded meanies who are determined to prove Lessans wrong because they can't stand the idea that he might be right.
Stephen Maturin (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM

I love that type of reasoning. "The earth is just right for terrestrial life!!! There for there is a Plan, a Design, a God!"

But that is ass-backwards. Terrestrial life is the way it is because of the conditions it had to develop in. Oceans were not designed so fish would have something to use those fins for, fins evolved because there are oceans. Do we think the moon was put there, just at the right distance from the earth, so a certain type of rock can be there? If not, why not? Why do we assume we are so incredibly special? We are quite special to ourselves but that is no reason to assume the entire universe was built for us. You could just as well argue that the universe is designed for the colony of bacteria that live under the rim of your toilet bowl - how else can we explain the incredibly unlikely set of circumstances that led to the small, sheltered spot, not too big and not too small, where the temperature is just right and the toilet-duck just cannot reach, with a daily deposit of fresh nutrients?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), ceptimus (11-05-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I love that type of reasoning. "The earth is just right for terrestrial life!!! There for there is a Plan, a Design, a God!"

But that is ass-backwards. Terrestrial life is the way it is because of the conditions it had to develop in. Oceans were not designed so fish would have something to use those fins for, fins evolved because there are oceans. Do we think the moon was put there, just at the right distance from the earth, so a certain type of rock can be there? If not, why not? Why do we assume we are so incredibly special? We are quite special to ourselves but that is no reason to assume the entire universe was built for us. You could just as well argue that the universe is designed for the colony of bacteria that live under the rim of your toilet bowl - how else can we explain the incredibly unlikely set of circumstances that led to the small, sheltered spot, not too big and not too small, where the temperature is just right and the toilet-duck just cannot reach, with a daily deposit of fresh nutrients?

You can take this ever further if you realize that the Universe had to have just the right physics for matter, energy, and light to be the way they are, but then there is a theory that there were other Universes before ours in a successiion of Big Bangs and Big Crunches in an endless cycle and if each Universe is slightly different, eventually one woud come into existance that was just right. There is also the ides that there are millions of parallel Universes and each one is slightly different, and there is some experimental evidence that suggests this might be the case. The Earth is just right for life because there are millions of millions of planets in the Universe, and If each one is just a little different, one would be just right for life. The Drake equation predicts that there should be many other planets with life and some of them should have intelligent life. It would be nice to see what a planet with intelligent life looks like? The Earth is just right for 'Terrestrial life' because the definition of 'Terrestrial life' is 'Life that exists on Earth'. That life can exist here is proof of nothing about God, just as making a choice does not prove that we are compelled to make 'that particular' choice.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM
puzzler

From the point of view of parasites, bugs or infectious diseases specific to humans, then the reason we are here is to provide them with a home.

A loving god would not have created tapeworms or syphilis bacteria without providing them with warm comfy places to live in.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), Dragar (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Personally I think it's quite obvious the laws of physics were perfectly designed to provide the conditions where rocks could exist. Stuff that grows on the rocks is a sort of weird by-product.
Angakuk (11-07-2012), ceptimus (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-05-2012), Vivisectus (11-05-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy