Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The only thing that proves that something is true are not the scientists; it is the facts that back something up.
Quite true. Why don't you try incorporating some actual facts into your arguments? For that matter, why didn't Lessans give that a try?

Oh, Oh, I know, I know, Pick me! -

because neither Peacegirl or Lessans had any facts to use in their arguments. :yup:
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
I suggest that she contact Donald Trump. He has a lot of money and a tinfoil hat. He even has goldfoil and platinumfoil hats. It says so in the encyclopedias. Fact!
I'm not sure about the tinfoil, or gold, or platinum, but I know from seeing him on TV that he has a fur covered hat. Does he really have money, or does he just act like he does, you can fool a lot of people like that.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
peacegirl, have you by now figured out how to explain Fizeau's wheel experiment?
I asked you what was the light source in this experiment. Was it a lightbulb? I also asked how far the source light was, and LadyShea responded that the mirror was five miles away, and the light source was ten miles away.
No I didn't, I said it was 10 miles round trip and gave you the pertinent paragraph

It doesn't matter what the light source was at all, it was a source of light.
Thanks, from:
But (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
peacegirl, have you by now figured out how to explain Fizeau's wheel experiment?
DOES NOT APPLY!
SOMETHING ELSE MUST BE GOING ON THERE! :derp:

PFM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm Deplorable.

[quote=peacegirl;1067830]
Quote:
If you look back and count all of the posts that had nothing to say except to criticize, you will see that this thread would be half as long, or maybe even less. So don't go using your false testimony to discredit my efforts, or this work. It's all bullshit LadyShea, and you know it. And if you don't know it, you're just as bad as the fundies you criticize. The irony meter is exploding.

OK, half of the posts are criticizism from the other users on this thread, the rest is bullshit posted by Peacegirl.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
LOL as if you'll leave here. You realize it has been over a year now, don't you?

Most people don't consider a year of discussing a single book all that quick. You've had all the opportunity in the world to present and defend these ideas and have simply failed.
If you look back and count all of the posts that had nothing to say except to criticize, you will see that this thread would be half as long, or maybe even less. So don't go using your false testimony to discredit my efforts, or this work. It's all bullshit LadyShea, and you know it. And if you don't know it, you're just as bad as the fundies you criticize. The irony meter is exploding.
How much shorter do you think this thread would be if we removed all of your weaseling non-responses, evasions, and protestations of faith? How many of your posts do you think would still remain?
LadyShea (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1) Do you accept that you have significant memory impairment?

2) Are you presently in institutional care of any sort?

3) Have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental health related condition?

I'm still after an answer to these questions. Answer them once, honestly, and they will go away.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Fizeau used telescopes, BTW
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL as if you'll leave here. You realize it has been over a year now, don't you?

Most people don't consider a year of discussing a single book all that quick. You've had all the opportunity in the world to present and defend these ideas and have simply failed.
If you'd answer questions and make clear rational statements the first time(how many of your posts have been "What I meant to say was....") then we wouldn't need to repeat them and criticize you for weaseling

You weasel, I call you on it. Simple as that.

Also lol @ "False Testimony"...so histrionic.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
I asked you what was the light source in this experiment. Was it a lightbulb? I also asked how far the source light was, and LadyShea responded that the mirror was five miles away, and the light source was ten miles away.
The mirror was five miles away, and the light source was near the observer for a total round trip distance of ten miles for the light. The light source was a lamp.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, either your reading comprehension is almost 0 or you are being deliberately stupid. The light sourse was a light bulb a few feet or less from the first mirror and the other mirror was 5 miles away making the round trip from the first mirror to the second and back 10 miles. The position of the light source is really irrelevant as the important distance is the distance between the 2 mirrors.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No I didn't, I said it was 10 miles round trip and gave you the pertinent paragraph

It doesn't matter what the light source was at all, it was a source of light.
So let's move on. I can accept that it doesn't matter what the source is. But it does matter how people measure what we see according to the time it takes for light to reach us. This experiment proves nothing in regard to Lessans' claims, although it does prove the speed of light, which was its intended purpose.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you'd answer questions and make clear rational statements the first time(how many of your posts have been "What I meant to say was....") then we wouldn't need to repeat them and criticize you for weaseling

I feel that your desire to be the one who right is very important to you. In my estimation, you are trying to prove your importance LadyShea as someone who is smart and can do no wrong. It is clear as day by the words you utter, that you are dependent on what other people tell you is true. You are not an independent thinker at all. Could it be that underneath the facade of being one of the science-minded people that are responsible for showing us the way, that you could be wrong? There are no sacred cows LadyShea, and you are holding out like someone who is protecting his property. Unfortunately, you don't hold the truth in hand. You are agreeing with people who you believe have the answers because they are the 'scientists.' That's exactly why Lessans had to write the introcution the way he did. I know you will never accept my take on what is going on, but it doesn't mean there is not an element of truth in what I'm saying. Think about it.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I can accept that it doesn't matter what the source is. But it does matter how people measure what we see according to the time it takes for light to reach us. This experiment proves nothing in regard to Lessans' claims, although it does prove the speed of light, which was its intended purpose.
The experiment used visually seeing or not seeing the light based on time and distance, when the line of sight was unobstructed the light still couldn't be seen, so real time seeing is disproven

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Thanks, from:
But (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

I feel that your desire to be the one who right is very important to you. In my estimation, you are trying to prove your importance LadyShea as someone who is smart and can do no wrong.
LOL.

It is quite obvious that this applies to LadyShea not at all. Of all the people on this thread, it applies solely to you.

Unlike you, we here have no desire to be "right." We have a desire to understand and say what is TRUE. It is true we don't see in real time, and Lessans' claims are false. It is also true that you are a liar.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel that your desire to be the one who right is very important to you. In my estimation, you are trying to prove your importance LadyShea as someone who is smart and can do no wrong. It is clear as day by the words you utter, that you are dependent on what other people tell you is true. You are not an independent thinker at all. Could it be that underneath the facade of being one of the science-minded people that are responsible for showing us the way, that you could be wrong? There are no sacred cows LadyShea, and you are holding out like someone who is protecting his property. Unfortunately, you don't hold the truth in hand. You are agreeing with people who you believe have the answers because they are the 'scientists.' That's exactly why Lessans had to write the introcution the way he did. I know you will never accept my take on what is going on, but it doesn't mean there is not an element of truth in what I'm saying. Think about it.

These ad homs are just another way to weasel, peacegirl.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm doing my best, but it might be good enough for you to get it. That still doesn't mean this model is wrong.
Try harder, answer my questions. Is this really your best? Avoiding direct questions and moving the goalposts and saying crazy things like "There is no fraction of a second ago"?
I didn't say there is no fraction of a second ago. I said this fraction of time doesn't come into play in efferent vision.
liar
Quote:
Quote:
LOL peacegirl. So what did this statement mean?

Quote:
There is no fraction of a second before
Exactly what I said.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
I am asking you about the locations of photons that must exist for a photographic image to be created on camera film.
In efferent vision the photons are at the eye even though the light hasn't traveled to Earth. .
Weasel. I am talking about camera film. Photons must exist and must be located on the surface of camera film for a photographic image to be created.

Are you saying the photons that are on the surface of camera film, which is on Earth, are not actually on Earth?

Quote:
This is because of the conditions that allow this to occur.
This is meaningless as it can be used for anything, including nonsense, and explains absolutely nothing as the conditions are not specified.

"Hurricanes happen because of the conditions that allow it to occur" well great, and true, but do we know anything about the conditions that allow hurricanes to occur from this statement?

"Unicorns can exist in our world undetected because of the conditions that allow this to occur" Really? And what are those conditions? Is this likely to be a true statement? It can't be refuted without the conditions being spelled out, so it might be true! More testing needs to be done!

Quote:
You are not understanding why this model does not violate physics
That's because you keep making statements about your model that violate physics.

For a recent example just above, it would be a huge violation of physics for photons that haven't come to be on Earth by any physical mechanism to be located on the surface of Earth-bound camera film.

Quote:
Quote:
They must be located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photograph is taken.
They are.
Great! So next question, how do they get there?
Quote:
Quote:
In your model, what was the location of those specific photons a fraction of a second prior to them being located on the surface of the camera film?
Quote:
There is no before because these photons are not traveling from point A to point B.
They had to have a prior location unless they came into spontaneous existence on the surface of the camera film.

Remember, photons are quanta of electromagnetic energy. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed so spontaneously poofing into existence on the surface of camera film is eliminated unless you violate physics.

1. What was the prior location of the photons that are located on the surface of camera film a fraction of a second before a photograph was taken.

2. How does the light get to the surface of the camera film from its prior location if it hasn't traveled there and hasn't spontaneously poofed into existence at that location?

Quote:
Quote:
They have to be somewhere just before they are on the surface of camera film. Where is it?[/B]
They are at the film, but this image is not traveling to the film, or the eye.
I am not asking about an image I am asking about the photons located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photo is taken and their prior location.

You seem to be saying they have always and forever been located on the surface of the camera film.

Yeah, that would be a violation of physics

Bumping to give you the opportunity to respond clearly and answer the questions without weaseling.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The mirror was five miles away, and the light source was near the observer for a total round trip distance of ten miles for the light. The light source was a lamp.
If it takes light 1.3 seconds to reach earth from the moon which is 250,000 miles away, how much faster do you think it takes light to reach the wheel from the distance of a round trip distance of ten miles?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM

The rotation speed of the toothed wheel was an important factor

Once again, you don't understand the experiment at all do you?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel that your desire to be the one who right is very important to you. In my estimation, you are trying to prove your importance LadyShea as someone who is smart and can do no wrong. It is clear as day by the words you utter, that you are dependent on what other people tell you is true. You are not an independent thinker at all. Could it be that underneath the facade of being one of the science-minded people that are responsible for showing us the way, that you could be wrong? There are no sacred cows LadyShea, and you are holding out like someone who is protecting one's property. Unfortunately, you don't hold the truth in hand. You are agreeing with people who you believe have the answers because they are the 'scientists.' That's exactly why Lessans had to write the introcution the way he did. I know you will never accept my take on what is going on, but it doesn't mean there is not an element of truth to what I'm saying. Think about it.

This is not an ad hom. This is another way of evading the question so you don't have to explain yourself.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The wheel rotated at hundreds of times a second; therefore a fraction of a second was easy to measure. By varying the speed of the wheel, it was possible to determine at what speed the wheel was spinning too fast for the light to pass through the gap between the teeth, to the remote mirror, and then back through the same gap. He knew how far the light traveled and the time it took. By dividing that distance by the time, he got the speed of light. Fizeau measured the speed of light to be 313,300 Km/s.
Speed of Light Measurement
Thanks, from:
But (06-08-2012), davidm (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

This is not an ad hom. This is another way of evading the question so you don't have to explain yourself.
LOL. Watch dumb shit do her pathetic projection routine.

Everything has been explained. We don't see in real time. You are a lying nut.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The spinning toothed wheel was used to determine the speed

I understand the experiment LadyShea, but what does measuring the speed of light have to do with determining whether we see an object in real time? Our eyes would never be able to determine this in such a short interval.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel that your desire to be the one who right is very important to you. In my estimation, you are trying to prove your importance LadyShea as someone who is smart and can do no wrong. It is clear as day by the words you utter, that you are dependent on what other people tell you is true. You are not an independent thinker at all. Could it be that underneath the facade of being one of the science-minded people that are responsible for showing us the way, that you could be wrong? There are no sacred cows LadyShea, and you are holding out like someone who is protecting one's property. Unfortunately, you don't hold the truth in hand. You are agreeing with people who you believe have the answers because they are the 'scientists.' That's exactly why Lessans had to write the introcution the way he did. I know you will never accept my take on what is going on, but it doesn't mean there is not an element of truth to what I'm saying. Think about it.

It is an ad hom and you are using it to weasel away from the questions about photon locations with regard to film photography.

What question am I not answering? That I could be wrong? Sure I could be wrong. I've never claimed infallibility nor have I claimed to hold special knowledge.

And what would you like me to explain about myself?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The spinning toothed wheel was used to determine the speed

I understand the experiment LadyShea, but what does measuring the speed of light have to do with determining whether we see an object in real time? Our eyes would never be able to determine this in such a short interval.
If real time seeing were true, then the viewer would be able to see the light all the time regardless of the speed of rotation of the wheel

The viewer could not see the light AT ALL if the wheel was rotating at a specific speed, even with an unobstructed line of sight at various intervals, because of the the light travel time delay which caused the returning light to hit the teeth of the wheel instead of the gaps between the teeth

At slower rotation speeds the light could be seen
At faster rotation speeds the light could be seen
Thanks, from:
But (06-08-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy