Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Stop playing these semantic word games with me Spacemonkey. You know what I mean.
No, we don't. Our only guide to what you mean is what you say. And you keep appealing to an incorrect account of afferent vision which shows that you still don't understand it at all. Light does not carry images.

Quote:
No, because you're missing the main part of all of this: the object. If the camera is aimed at the object, and if the light that is present at the film does not have to travel to Earth, then the photons that are showing up on film are not the red photons. They have joined with the other colors of the visual spectrum. The non-absorbed light that is at the film is blue because the camera is capturing the blue photons that the object has just reflected.
The object is red. So if the photons at the film are blue then the image is not in real-time. Did you get that back to front? Again?

The photons have not joined with the rest of the spectrum, because I have stipulated that the camera is inside the range at which this occurs. And if they had so joined up, then only white light would be hitting the film and no image of the object would be formed at all.

The camera cannot reach out and 'capture' photons just leaving the object. And the planet Earth was not even part of my scenario. All there is is a camera and an object. And if the photons can get from the object to the film instantly without traveling then they have teleported again.

If a red photograph requires red photons hitting the film, then those photons have to get to the film, and the only way they can get to the film instantly is to teleport there. The only other option is for traveling photons of a different wavelength to change their wavelength as they arrive. Neither of these options are physically possible, as both contradict the laws of physics, yet your model requires one or the other to be the case.

Quote:
It really doesn't have to be one or the other. The only thing that changes is how we actually see. You are acting like real time vision isn't even plausible, but you're 100% wrong.
We are talking about photography, not vision. And it does have to be one or the other (i.e. teleportation or wavelength-changing photons), as you haven't provided any alternative. There is no other alternative you could give.
LadyShea (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Yes, it makes a lot of sense. Photons come to be located at the film because of how the eyes work. The knowledge of efferent vision can be extended to cameras because light works in the same exact way whether it's film or the retina. I've said this so many times it should make sense to you by now. I guess not.
Then you are utterly insane. Something that does not exist in a given scenario cannot provide the explanation for anything in that scenario.

Saying that light behaves the same way in both cases is not the same as saying that how the eyes work explains photography.

You can say that the light gets to the film in photography in the same way as it gets to the retina in vision, but then you still owe us an explanation for what this mechanism is in each case.

And the explanation cannot rely upon anything (such as eyes) that do not exist in both scenarios.

If the explanation for how light gets to the film and retina is the same in both cases, then that explanation cannot involve the eyes, and it is something you have yet to provide.
But it takes eyes to see what exists and it takes eyes to see the image on film. If there were no objects in the world, there would be no images of anything. It would just be light from the Sun which has no color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
No, Peacegirl. The EYES are absolutely not a necessary part of creating a PHOTOGRAPHIC image.
It's not absolutely necessary but it does take a pair of eyes to analyze the photograph.

Quote:
So you need to stop trying to explain photography in terms of things like EYES that don't even exist in the scenario you are being asked about.

You need to explain how the photons get to the camera film, and you can't appeal to anything in your explanation that doesn't exist in the scenario you are being asked to explain.
I just did. The key to all of this is that the object must be in the field of view. If you can prove to me that an image can show up when the object or event is gone, then Lessans would be wrong, but I don't believe he was wrong. And it will never be resolved in here. You may think it's already been resolved, but I don't.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, here's a very simple disproof of efferent vision and real-time photography. Both require a camera to be able to record the color change of a distant object in real-time. So when a distant ball changes from blue to red, a camera must be able to photograph it as red as soon as it has become red. But if the camera is inside the range where the traveling non-absorbed light has yet to return to 'white full-spectrum' light, then all that light will be blue before the color change. And at the very moment the ball changes to red (i.e. has turned into a ball that absorbs all but red photons) there are no red photons at the camera. They were previously all being absorbed by the ball, and are only now free to bounce off the ball and begin traveling towards the camera. So none of them can be at the camera yet. But the camera cannot produce a red image on film without any red photons there to chemically interact with the film. So the camera cannot produce a real-time image of the newly red ball, and real-time photgraphy and efferent vision are thereby disproved. QED.
Bump.

How do red photons get to be at the camera film when at the immediately preceding moment there were no red photons anywhere near the camera?
Bump.

Remember how you said that you are answering my questions and that you never weasel?
If the preceding red photons were being reflected at the time a photograph was taken, those red photons would be captured on film and be a mirror image of the object. You're separating the photons from the object. You can't do that in this model. If I saw a fire and it looked blue, then the blue photons would be striking my retina. If the flames started to spread out and become red, then the red photons would be striking my retina. But I would be seeing these changes in real time.
There are no "preceding red photons". What are you even talking about? Do you even know?

What do you mean when you say I am "separating the photons from the object"? All I've said is that the red photons have to be there when the photograph is taken, and they weren't there at the immediately preceding moment when the object was blue, so you need to explain where they came from and how they got there.

Why are you talking about retinas again? We are discussing photography.

All you are doing is repeating your assertion that the red photons will be there at the film because you need them to be there. I already know that. What you are not doing is answering my question, by telling me where they came from and how they got there.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
It's not absolutely necessary but it does take a pair of eyes to analyze the photograph.
That is completely irrelevant, as no eyes are necessary for the formation of the photograph, which is what you are being asked to explain. And yet you keep insanely referring to the eyes in your failed attempts to do so.

Quote:
I just did. The key to all of this is that the object must be in the field of view.
The object is in the cameras field of view at all times in my scenario, yet you still can't explain how the photons get to be at the film. Stating that the object must be in the field of view only sets a necessary condition. It does not explain how the nonabsorbed photons are actually getting from the object to the film. It does not provide any actual mechanism.
LadyShea (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Stop playing these semantic word games with me Spacemonkey. You know what I mean.
No, we don't. Our only guide to what you mean is what you say. And you keep appealing to an incorrect account of afferent vision which shows that you still don't understand it at all. Light does not carry images.
It doesn't carry anything, but it is believed to be traveling with the pattern of the object through space and time Spacemonkey.

Quote:
No, because you're missing the main part of all of this: the object. If the camera is aimed at the object, and if the light that is present at the film does not have to travel to Earth, then the photons that are showing up on film are not the red photons. They have joined with the other colors of the visual spectrum. The non-absorbed light that is at the film is blue because the camera is capturing the blue photons that the object has just reflected.
Quote:
The object is red. So if the photons at the film are blue then the image is not in real-time. Did you get that back to front? Again?
In the early part of this thread wasn't the object blue? I'm getting bored, sorry. :(

Quote:
The photons have not joined with the rest of the spectrum, because I have stipulated that the camera is inside the range at which this occurs. And if they had so joined up, then only white light would be hitting the film and no image of the object would be formed at all.
If the camera is inside the range, then the mirror image has to be red photons, therefore the blue must already be out of range.

Quote:
The camera cannot reach out and 'capture' photons just leaving the object. And the planet Earth was not even part of my scenario. All there is is a camera and an object. And if the photons can get from the object to the film instantly without traveling then they have teleported again.
I totally disagree with that. If the object can be seen through the lens, then the photons that are reflected when the snapshot is taken must also be instantly at the film IF THE PREMISE IS CORRECT THAT WE SEE IN REAL TIME.

Quote:
If a red photograph requires red photons hitting the film, then those photons have to get to the film, and the only way they can get to the film instantly is to teleport there. The only other option is for traveling photons of a different wavelength to change their wavelength as they arrive. Neither of these options are physically possible, as both contradict the laws of physics, yet your model requires one or the other to be the case.
Quote:
It really doesn't have to be one or the other. The only thing that changes is how we actually see. You are acting like real time vision isn't even plausible, but you're 100% wrong.
Quote:
We are talking about photography, not vision. And it does have to be one or the other (i.e. teleportation or wavelength-changing photons), as you haven't provided any alternative. There is no other alternative you could give.
I don't think you understand this model yet. It really boils down to whether light brings us the world through its properties, or whether it reflects the world through its properties. The verdict is yet to be determined, as far as I'm concerned. I guess you'll have to deal with the uncertainty, or just go back to your way of thinking. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If you're so sure he is wrong, it shouldn't be hard to forget about these claims when we are done communicating.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
It would just be light from the Sun which has no color.
Well this is simply wrong, Sunlight has all the colors. White light is a combination of all colors together, there is no such thing as 'white light' all photons have a frequency that corosponds to a color of the spectrum, and there is no white in the spectrum.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Oh, well, the thread was briefly derailed into a cool discussion of owls, with the potential to move on to other animals (see the link I provided) yet the silly shyster is back, and here you all are catering to her again. If you are seriouly worried about her mental health, stop posting to her.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
It doesn't carry anything, but it is believed to be traveling with the pattern of the object through space and time Spacemonkey.
No, it isn't. Light doesn't travel with anything at all.

Quote:
In the early part of this thread wasn't the object blue? I'm getting bored, sorry. :(
Pay attention. The object was blue. It changes to red. You need to be able to take a real-time RED photograph at the very moment it changes to red.

Quote:
It can't be outside of the range because the mirror image has to be blue photons, therefore the red is already out of range.
You are STILL getting it back to front. The object is RED when the photograph is taken, so you need RED photons at the film. Not blue. The camera is within range of the object, so any 'joining up' is irrelevant and can only happen beyond the camera.

How do these red photons get to the film? Where did they come from? Where were they at the immediately previous moment (when the object was still blue)?

Quote:
I totally disagree with that. If the object can be seen through the lens, then the photons that are reflected when the snapshot is taken must also be instantly at the film IF THE PREMISE IS CORRECT THAT OBJECTS MUST BE IN RANGE.
If you have nonabsorbed photons getting instantly from the object to the film, then you have them teleporting instead of traveling. Either that or you have them at two places at once (both just leaving the object and at the film).

Quote:
I don't think you understand this model yet...
What is clear is that you don't. If you understood what you were saying you wouldn't keep repeating the same ridiculous mistakes. You would instead be capable of answering simple questions about your own account. But you can't. You have no idea how any of this is meant to work with respect to light.
LadyShea (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, here's a very simple disproof of efferent vision and real-time photography. Both require a camera to be able to record the color change of a distant object in real-time. So when a distant ball changes from blue to red, a camera must be able to photograph it as red as soon as it has become red. But if the camera is inside the range where the traveling non-absorbed light has yet to return to 'white full-spectrum' light, then all that light will be blue before the color change. And at the very moment the ball changes to red (i.e. has turned into a ball that absorbs all but red photons) there are no red photons at the camera. They were previously all being absorbed by the ball, and are only now free to bounce off the ball and begin traveling towards the camera. So none of them can be at the camera yet. But the camera cannot produce a red image on film without any red photons there to chemically interact with the film. So the camera cannot produce a real-time image of the newly red ball, and real-time photgraphy and efferent vision are thereby disproved. QED.
Bump.

How do red photons get to be at the camera film when at the immediately preceding moment there were no red photons anywhere near the camera?
Bump.

Remember how you said that you are answering my questions and that you never weasel?
If the preceding red photons were being reflected at the time a photograph was taken, those red photons would be captured on film and be a mirror image of the object. You're separating the photons from the object. You can't do that in this model. If I saw a fire and it looked blue, then the blue photons would be striking my retina. If the flames started to spread out and become red, then the red photons would be striking my retina. But I would be seeing these changes in real time.
There are no "preceding red photons". What are you even talking about? Do you even know?

What do you mean when you say I am "separating the photons from the object"? All I've said is that the red photons have to be there when the photograph is taken, and they weren't there at the immediately preceding moment when the object was blue, so you need to explain where they came from and how they got there.

Why are you talking about retinas again? We are discussing photography.

All you are doing is repeating your assertion that the red photons will be there at the film because you need them to be there. I already know that. What you are not doing is answering my question, by telling me where they came from and how they got there.
How could a camera take a picture in real time if the light wasn't instantly at the film? This means that the very fact that the object can be seen through the lens in real time indicates that the light that is allowing the object to be seen in real time, must also be at the film in real time. Geeze! :doh:
Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Yeah Spacemonkey, you got your logic mixed in with peacegirls (P) logic. Cut it out. You are peacegirls only hope.
Peacegirl's only hope was intervention by her family members. Short of that, there is no hope for her, as she will never seek treatment herself. She is condemned by her condition to continue this tragic farce until she loses the capacity to operate a keyboard.
:lmao: :giggle: :laugh: :lmao:
This is not a joke, Peacegirl. It is not a laughing matter at all.

You seriously need help.
:rofl: :lmao: :laugh: :giggle: :rofl: :lmao:
I find it disturbing that you think your deteriorating mental health is something to joke about.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
All the two questions below are asking you for is the locations of these two sets of photons at the times concerned. You have agreed that both sets of photons exist at these times, and that they must have locations at these times. And that is all the questions presuppose. They say nothing at all about whether or not an object has to be present, what brains or lenses do, what else other than light may be necessary, changing distances, or instant mirror images. For the purposes of these two questions you can assume that your own answers concerning such matters are all accepted. All I'm asking for is the location of these photons at the times concerned according to your own model. That's it. Nothing else. You can take all the rest of your model as a given, and use it to provide the answers which you have agreed these two questions must have. No more excuses. Stop being such a big baby and just answer the questions already.

Quote:
Quote:
1) Where are the unabsorbed photons 0.0001sec after they have hit the object? [Insert answer here]
Are they about 30 meters away from the object and traveling away from it? [Yes or No]

Quote:
2) Where were the photons (which are at the film comprising the mirror image when the photograph is taken) 0.0001sec before the photograph was taken? [Insert answer here]
Are they about 30 meters away from the camera film and traveling towards it? [Yes or No]
Bump.

Bump.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
How could a camera take a picture in real time if the light wasn't instantly at the film? This means that the very fact that the object can be seen through the lens in real time indicates that the light that is allowing the object to be seen in real time, must also be at the film in real time. Geeze! :doh:
Yet AGAIN all you are doing is asserting that if your real-time account is correct then the necessary (red) photons must be at the film instantly.

No-one is disputing this obvious and trivial claim.

What we are asking you to explain is how this is possible - i.e. how red photons can be instantly at the film when at the immediately previous moment there were no red photons anywhere near the film - without positing either the teleportation or duplication of photons.

That your account requires certain photons to be instantly at the film DOES NOT EXPLAIN how this feat is to be achieved. You cannot just assume that something must be physically possible just because your account requires it.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No, it isn't. Light doesn't travel with anything at all.
No, it doesn't travel with anything but it is a particular wavelength and frequency.

Quote:
Quote:
Pay attention. The object was blue. It changes to red. You need to be able to take a real-time RED photograph at the very moment it changes to red.
If the object itself is not traveling, then, yes, we would be able to take a real time photograph of red, not blue, because the blue light would be out of range and joining the other colors of the spectrum.

Quote:
It can't be outside of the range because the mirror image has to be blue photons, therefore the red is already out of range.
Quote:
You are STILL getting it back to front. The object is RED when the photograph is taken, so you need RED photons at the film. Not blue. The camera is within range of the object, so any 'joining up' is irrelevant and can only happen beyond the camera.
But there is no way we would be getting blue if the camera was in visual range of the object.

Quote:
How do these red photons get to the film? Where did they come from? Where were they at the immediately previous moment (when the object was still blue)?
They were being absorbed by the blue object.

Quote:
I totally disagree with that. If the object can be seen through the lens, then the photons that are reflected when the snapshot is taken must also be instantly at the film IF THE PREMISE IS CORRECT THAT OBJECTS MUST BE IN RANGE.
Quote:
If you have nonabsorbed photons getting instantly from the object to the film, then you have them teleporting instead of traveling. Either that or you have them at two places at once (both just leaving the object and at the film).

Quote:
I don't think you understand this model yet...
What is clear is that you don't. If you understood what you were saying you wouldn't keep repeating the same ridiculous mistakes. You would instead be capable of answering simple questions about your own account. But you can't. You have no idea how any of this is meant to work with respect to light.
The whole debate rests on whether light can be at the film instantly, without teleporting, when the actual object is being photographed, for then light would necessarily be at the film. I do not believe we ever get a picture from light alone.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yet AGAIN all you are doing is asserting that if your real-time account is correct then the necessary (red) photons must be at the film instantly.

No-one is disputing this obvious and trivial claim.
Trivial? This whole debate rests on whether the lens is able to capture those photons and interact with the film even though that same light hasn't reached Earth.

Quote:
What we are asking you to explain is how this is possible - i.e. how red photons can be instantly at the film when at the immediately previous moment there were no red photons anywhere near the film - without positing either the teleportation or duplication of photons.

That your account requires certain photons to be instantly at the film DOES NOT EXPLAIN how this feat is to be achieved. You cannot just assume that something must be physically possible just because your account requires it.
I realize that Spacemonkey, but this feat, as you call it, would not violate the laws of physics in any way if we actually see in real time.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't travel with anything but it is a particular wavelength and frequency.
But you AGREE with that. The strawman claim you started with was meant to be what you think the afferent view wrongly assumes.

Quote:
If the object itself is not traveling, then, yes, we would be able to take a real time photograph of red, not blue, because the blue light would be out of range and joining the other colors of the spectrum.
How does all the blue light get to be out of range at this time? At the immediately preceding moment there were blue photons only just beginning to travel away from the surface of the object after not being absorbed. How do they get to be beyond the camera at the very next instant in time? Now you even have the light which is not being used to form the image teleporting!

Quote:
But there is no way we would be getting blue if the camera was in visual range of the object.
At the immediately preceding moment there were blue photons striking the film and other blue photons right behind them ready to replace them. Where do those next blue photons go at the next moment (when the object turns red and the photograph is taken)? Why don't they turn up at the film?

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. If they were previously absorbed by the object then they have been used up and no longer exist. The same photons cannot then later turn up at the camera film.

You have given me an answer for red photons in general rather than for the specific red photons I am referring to. At the previous moment the object was blue and all red photons hitting the object are getting absorbed. But those photons cease to exist, as they get absorbed and used up. So none of those photons can ever turn up at the film.

I am asking you about the specific red photons which are at the film when the photograph is taken. How do they get to the film? Where did they come from? Where were they at the immediately previous moment (when the object was still blue)?

Quote:
The whole debate rests on whether light can be at the film instantly, without teleporting, when the actual object is being photographed, for then light would necessarily be at the film.
No, the debate rests upon whether or not light with wavelengths representing the real-time nature of the object can be at the film instantly. And so far you have not been able to explain how this could be possible without either the teleportation or duplication of light.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 05-19-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Trivial?
Yes. It is utterly trivial that if your real-time account is correct then the needed photons must be instantly at the film. Again, no-one is challenging this conditional claim.

Quote:
This whole debate rests on whether the lens is able to capture those photons and interact with the film even though that same light hasn't reached Earth.
Then there is no debate. Because lenses are not magic and have no capacity for reaching out across space and interacting with light that is not traveling through them. All lenses do is bend the light that passes through them. That is optics - something you've said you are not challenging. If the lens is on Earth, then it can't do anything with light that has not reached Earth.

Quote:
I realize that Spacemonkey, but this feat, as you call it, would not violate the laws of physics in any way if we actually see in real time.
But it would. It would require either the teleportation or duplication of photons. You are utterly failing to show that this feat can be otherwise achieved.
Angakuk (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
I'm not angry at all. You'd like me to be, but at this point, I'm just really sad for you. Seriously, it's like listening to my Grandma tell me that my dead Grandpa's just stepped out for a while, but will be back soon.

My mother was like that toward the end. Also we could go in, in the morning and visit awhile, go for lunch, and when we came back she didn't remember and it was like another visit. It was a 3 hour drive and every 15 or 20 minutes her memory would reset and we would start over again.
If confronted with the fact that my Grandfather was dead, my Grandmother would retreat into severe confusion - another parallel between her and peacegirl.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not angry at all. You'd like me to be, but at this point, I'm just really sad for you. Seriously, it's like listening to my Grandma tell me that my dead Grandpa's just stepped out for a while, but will be back soon.

My mother was like that toward the end. Also we could go in, in the morning and visit awhile, go for lunch, and when we came back she didn't remember and it was like another visit. It was a 3 hour drive and every 15 or 20 minutes her memory would reset and we would start over again.
If confronted with the fact that my Grandfather was dead, my Grandmother would retreat into severe confusion - another parallel between her and peacegirl.
I don't think my mother was ever quite that bad, if she said something about Dad we would look at her and after asking her if she knew where Dad was, she would think for a second or 2 and then say "He's dead isn't he." and we would confirm it. Once she was at the doctors office for an exame and they were checking her mental awareness and asked her what year it was, she thought for a moment looking around and then told them the correct year. There was a calander on the wall that she had looked at to see the year, otherwise she would not have known, so in some ways she was still pretty sharp. Another thing she wanted to do when we showed up was to get us something to eat even though she was in a room and not a house with a kitchen. A few times she said she had gone to church with her Mom and Dad, even though they had been dead for many years. Even now I don't know how I was able to be so patient with her, I guess it was training for the grandchildren.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I do not believe we ever get a picture from light alone.
Perhaps not, however it is a known fact that the photochemical reaction that occurs during film photography requires the absorption of photons at the surface of the camera film. Photons that are not on physically touching the surface of the camera film cannot be absorbed.

In the efferent vision model, what is the physical mechanism by which photons come to be located at the surface of camera film?

Last edited by LadyShea; 05-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Please think of the box and the light being reflected from the object. Picture that your lens (whether it's an eye or a camera) is within that light.
If the lens is within the light then either the lens has traveled in order to enter the light or the light has traveled in order to encompass the lens. If the lens remains stationary and the light has not crossed the distance between the lens and the object then the lens is not yet within the light.
Angakuk, that's a good question. In efferent vision it is the brain that is looking out through the eyes, which allows the eyes to see the object, not the object to travel to the eyes. But that doesn't mean light isn't necessary. It's the essential link that connects the internal to the external world.
First off, I didn't ask a question. I made a statement of fact. That fact being that for the lens to be within the light the light and lens must be occupying the same space. Unless the light originated at the lens (and we know that is not the case) then there are only two options available. Either the lens moves to the location of the light or the light moves to the location of the lens. Which is it?

Secondly, your response to my post was not in any way germane to the subject of my post.

Quote:
I do not mean to be disrespectful to you Spacemonkey because I know you're trying very hard to get to the truth. You are very determined to prove him wrong (which is a problem) just because you want to be right at all costs.
Either Spacemonkey is trying very hard to get to the truth or he wants to be right at all costs. As they are mutually contradictory those statements cannot both be true.

Quote:
How could a camera take a picture in real time if the light wasn't instantly at the film?
It couldn't and it doesn't. That was easy. Go ahead and ask another one.

Last edited by Angakuk; 05-19-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Based upon which part(s) of the visual cortex light(s) up, you can tell where in the person's visual field (s)he is seeing something.
I am sorry TLR, but have obviously been misled. The statement above is not consistent with efferent vision. I think you need to go back to scientification school.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One of the mistakes that people frequently make when communicating with those suffering dementia is the attempt to compel them to accept such facts. The usual result is that the person simply experiences the grief over such a loss all over again, repeatedly. The emotional pain, while transient, is nonetheless quite real while it lasts. During the time I was working as a chaplain in a nursing home I observed this phenomenon on several occasions. Unfortunately, the desire to make the person accept and acknowledge facts about the present is almost irresistable to family members. I suspect that it is an expression of the family members' state of denial over the severity of the loved one's dementia.

Let me try to tie this into the discussion with peacegirl. Is it possible that our repeated attempts to force peacegirl to acknowledge the irrationality of her position are expressions of our unwillingness to believe that someone who is capable carrying on a discussion of this sort is really as demented as she appears to be?
specious_reasons (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Yeah Spacemonkey, you got your logic mixed in with peacegirls (P) logic. Cut it out. You are peacegirls only hope.
Peacegirl's only hope was intervention by her family members. Short of that, there is no hope for her, as she will never seek treatment herself. She is condemned by her condition to continue this tragic farce until she loses the capacity to operate a keyboard.
:lmao: :giggle: :laugh: :lmao:
This is not a joke, Peacegirl. It is not a laughing matter at all.

You seriously need help.
:rofl: :lmao: :laugh: :giggle: :rofl: :lmao:
I find it disturbing that you think your deteriorating mental health is something to joke about.
I think it's funny that you resort to my mental health when you can't get me to agree with you.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I think it's funny that you resort to my mental health when you can't get me to agree with you.
I direct your attention to your own mental illness when you post things that are clearly the product of a delusional mind.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope. If they were previously absorbed by the object then they have been used up and no longer exist. The same photons cannot then later turn up at the camera film.

You have given me an answer for red photons in general rather than for the specific red photons I am referring to. At the previous moment the object was blue and all red photons hitting the object are getting absorbed. But those photons cease to exist, as they get absorbed and used up. So none of those photons can ever turn up at the film.

I am asking you about the specific red photons which are at the film when the photograph is taken. How do they get to the film? Where did they come from? Where were they at the immediately previous moment (when the object was still blue)?
Bump.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy