Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I would like to know: how is it possible for Photons to interact with film from miles away without crossing the intervening space?
Oh my god, isn't that what the present theory says and why you believe it?
No, that is not what the present (afferent) theory says, that is the fiction made up by Lessans. And since we do not believe it there is no 'why'.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
You don't get to choose neither. There has to be actual photons actually at the film to produce an image. If the photons didn't pop into existence there, then they had to get there from somewhere else. And that means they either got there by traveling across the intervening distance, or they got there without traveling across the intervening distance. It's a case of either P or not-P, so you can't choose neither without contradiction. If you choose the former then you have either faster-than-light travel, or some non-zero travel time. If you choose the latter then you have teleportation.

So which do you pick? Travel, or teleportation? (Your only other option is more dishonest weaseling.)
No Spacemonkey, there is a third option.
Cough it up then. What is this third option. If there are photons at the film and interacting with it, which did not come into existence there, then how did they get there? One option is that they got there by traveling through the intervening space. Another option is that they somehow got there without traveling through the intervening space. What is your third option for how they got there?

Quote:
You don't seem to care one whit about the eyes and how they work.
I'm not asking you about eyes and how they work. I'm asking you about real-time photography, which you need to be able to explain without appealing to eyes and vision.

Quote:
If we see the way Lessans' claims, the requirement for real time seeing is being met because the actual substance of which the light is interacting is within visual range and therefore a mirror image is always present at the film/retina.
We don't see the way Lessans claimed, because the requirements for real-time seeing are contradictory. For example, what does the mirror image at the film/retina consist of (photons or something else?) and how did it get there?
LadyShea (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
A mirror image is light LadyShea. Why would you think this is magic? :doh:
And light consists of photons. So you have photons at the film when the photograph is taken. How did they get there? Did they exist, say, 10 seconds ago? Where were those photons then? How did they get from wherever they were 10 seconds ago to the film where they are now?
LadyShea (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I have given you the reasons, and you still are repeating the same thing over and over, which makes me realize that you're stuck in the record of what you've been taught.
No, that would be you, little miss projector.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

I will not leave this forum with you thinking you're right, because you're not. Just keep this in mind and continue to find the truth, because Lessans is being condemned without justification.
:lol:

Ignorant, self-important little narcissist. Of course, then you'll never leave the forum, because NO ONE here will ever think you are right; in fact we all know that you are wrong, and Lessans was wrong. Your father was an uneducated crackpot.

But look at the injustice you are doing him, hanging out at an Internet message board where everyone thinks you are nuts! You need to take these vital discoveries to the highest level of government, as soon as possible! Don't waste time here. Contact President Obama! Hurry!

And sue him when he brushes you off.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The physical reaction exists because the object is within the camera's field of view, which makes the light a mirror image
If the mirror image consists of photons, you have to explain how they got there. If it doesn't consist of photons, then there can't be a photochemical reaction with camera film and the mirror image
I just told you that the object, according to the eyes, isn't that far away because the object, now matter how large is within the field of view. Therefore, as you extend this understand you will see that the physical interaction is possible within this model. It is not possible within the afferent model. The question is: Who is right? :chin: I believe Lessans is, and further testing will validate his claims one day.
:weasel: :weasel:

Do you not understand the physical laws regarding location? Distance is distance, two separate locations

That is true, but you're missing half of the equation over and over again: how the eyes work. If the eyes are not a sense organ, everything we believed was true is turned on its head.
You still have too much magic in your model for it to possibly be true. You have light doing things it can't possibly do. Do you or do you not need to change all of physics for your model to be true?
There is no physics regarding light that needs to be corrected to make this model work. But...there IS changing the belief that afferent vision is correct. Strangely enough, this one shift in knowledge CHANGES EVERYTHING! I know this is hard to accept, but I am not budging because I believe Lessans was right, and until he is proven wrong, I will stand by him come hell or high water. You did not know him. I did. And he was not the kind of person that would ever espouse a theory just to make everything seem to fit the premise.
We all know him very well from his work. He was a self-aggrandizing uneducated buffoon with delusions of grandeur, an inferiority complex and a huge chip on his shoulder. Just like you. You're a chip off the old blockhead.

None of these unfortunate personal traits make what he wrote wrong, however. What he wrote was all wrong because it fails to comport with reality, and reality doesn't give a shit about him or you or any of us. It is what it is, and it isn't what Lessans said it was. So much the worse for him. :wave:
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisectus
I would like to know: how is it possible for Photons to interact with film from miles away without crossing the intervening space?
Quote:
Isn't what "what the present theory says"?

Optics does not say that photons can interact with film if they are separated by space. Did you mean something else?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I believe it was Davidm (among Others?) who stated a long time ago that Peacegirl was here for the attention more than to promote a book. But the attention she is seeking is not the healthy kind where a civil dialogue is the norm. If you note who she is resopnding to, it is those who are useing profanity, calling her names, and being hostile in general. Her own responses range from sympathetic condescending to ranting hostility with frequent threats to leave thrown in.
She claims to have me on ignore or 'pretend ignore' where she just doesn't respond to my posts. Yet I have rarely (If ever) used profanity in my posts to her, my namecalling is, in my opinion, more discriptive than provocative, and I have tried not to be hostile to her, (In these 2 threads only), though I sometimes respond out of frustration at her responses. Still inspite of threats to ignore she responds to almost everyone else but seems to ignore me. I would surmise from this that she is not seeking a healthy dialogue but may be a bit of a masochist and craves the abuse and the hostility. There are others who may suggest that this behaviour is part of her mental illness, and they may be correct. Just thought I'd make a note of this.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You don't get to choose neither. There has to be actual photons actually at the film to produce an image. If the photons didn't pop into existence there, then they had to get there from somewhere else. And that means they either got there by traveling across the intervening distance, or they got there without traveling across the intervening distance. It's a case of either P or not-P, so you can't choose neither without contradiction. If you choose the former then you have either faster-than-light travel, or some non-zero travel time. If you choose the latter then you have teleportation.

So which do you pick? Travel, or teleportation? (Your only other option is more dishonest weaseling.)
No Spacemonkey, there is a third option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Cough it up then. What is this third option. If there are photons at the film and interacting with it, which did not come into existence there, then how did they get there? One option is that they got there by traveling through the intervening space. Another option is that they somehow got there without traveling through the intervening space. What is your third option for how they got there?
I already did give you the third option.

Quote:
You don't seem to care one whit about the eyes and how they work.
Quote:
I'm not asking you about eyes and how they work. I'm asking you about real-time photography, which you need to be able to explain without appealing to eyes and vision.
Lenses work the same way, and I've explained it many times. You cannot take a photograph without the actual substance being in the field of view. That changes the phenomenon because it has been assumed that all that is needed to take a photograph is the detection of light.

Quote:
If we see the way Lessans' claims, the requirement for real time seeing is being met because the actual substance of which the light is interacting is within visual range and therefore a mirror image is always present at the film/retina.
Quote:
We don't see the way Lessans claimed, because the requirements for real-time seeing are contradictory. For example, what does the mirror image at the film/retina consist of (photons or something else?) and how did it get there?
Instead of telling me the requirements for real-time seeing are contradictory (which they aren't), and therefore you conclude that we don't see the way Lessans' claimed, why can't you ask more questions to see if maybe you are premature in your judgment? You come off too cock sure of yourself when you tell me Lessans has to be wrong before you really know.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
I believe it was Davidm (among Others?) who stated a long time ago that Peacegirl was here for the attention more than to promote a book. But the attention she is seeking is not the healthy kind where a civil dialogue is the norm. If you note who she is resopnding to, it is those who are useing profanity, calling her names, and being hostile in general. Her own responses range from sympathetic condescending to ranting hostility with frequent threats to leave thrown in.
She claims to have me on ignore or 'pretend ignore' where she just doesn't respond to my posts. Yet I have rarely (If ever) used profanity in my posts to her, my namecalling is, in my opinion, more discriptive than provocative, and I have tried not to be hostile to her, (In these 2 threads only), though I sometimes respond out of frustration at her responses. Still inspite of threats to ignore she responds to almost everyone else but seems to ignore me. I would surmise from this that she is not seeking a healthy dialogue but may be a bit of a masochist and craves the abuse and the hostility. There are others who may suggest that this behaviour is part of her mental illness, and they may be correct. Just thought I'd make a note of this.
Good post. I believe she is addicted to asserting her faith in her father's claims against strident opposition. It has nothing to do with rational discussion or the sharing or promotion of ideas.
thedoc (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I already did give you the third option.
No you didn't, weasel. You did not give me any third option for how the light got to the film.

How did the photons comprising the mirror image at the film get to the film, if they didn't travel there and didn't teleport there?

Quote:
Lenses work the same way, and I've explained it many times. You cannot take a photograph without the actual substance being in the field of view. That changes the phenomenon because it has been assumed that all that is needed to take a photograph is the detection of light.
How did the photons comprising the mirror image at the film get to the film, if they didn't travel there and didn't teleport there?

Quote:
Instead of telling me the requirements for real-time seeing are contradictory, and therefore don't see the way Lessans' claimed, why can't you ask more questions.
Are you fucking kidding me????????????????????????????

Ask more questions? I've done nothing but ask questions, and you've done nothing but weasel and openly refuse to answer them! Like this one:

Quote:
You come off too sure of yourself when you tell me Lessans has to be wrong before you know for sure.
But we do know for sure. Lessans was wrong. Your pathetic attempts to show that real-time vision is even possible have been contradictory and incoherent.
Angakuk (03-09-2012), LadyShea (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong. Maybe you don't, but I do see how efferent vision changes the very thing that is believed to be impossible.
No you don't. If you did then you'd be capable of telling us how it does so. But you can't.

Quote:
Quote:
The photons have to be there at the film or retina to interact with it. And you have given no explanation of how they get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there.
EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:facepalm: That's just a word. It is not an explanation. According to :derp: "EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :derp: how do the photons at the film get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there?

Quote:
Wrong again. I don't have to reject physics to maintain that these claims are valid. That I refuse to address those questions is because you're missing the most important aspect of all this --- efferent vision. All you're doing is following the afferent version of sight, which would be a problem because in this version time is a factor.
But I'm not following the afferent version of sight. I'm doing EXACTLY as you asked by starting with the assumption that vision is real-time and working backwards to see how that could be possible. You refuse to address my questions about this, showing that you do not know how much of physics will be compatible with it, and that you have no interest in finding out.

Quote:
But in efferent vision, there is no non-zero actual distance covered, so there is no travel time and, consequently, THERE IS NO TELEPORTATION.
Sorry, but your model doesn't get to change or deny the ACTUAL distance between the object and the eye or camera. If there is no such distance in your model, then your account is not modelling what it is meant to explain. In REALITY there is a real physical distance between objects and the camera/retina.
Bump.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Ask more questions you say...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As long as photons travel then I'm not discussing afferent vision by asking about them, am I?
Yes you are.
No, I'm not. You just told me that photons travel. So if there are traveling photons under BOTH models, then you can't claim that I am discussing one model rather than the other when I ask about traveling photons. When I ask about traveling photons, I am asking about them under YOUR model. (If there are no traveling photons under real-time vision, then either photons do not exist or they exist but are always stationary. Which is it?)

Quote:
Quote:
What does this instant mirror image at the film consist of?

Photons that traveled to get there?
No, in the efferent version there are no traveling photons. There is a mirror image with no travel between the object and the mirror image that is on the film/retina. This is obviously a different point of view than mirror images in the afferent version because, in this version, it is believed that light is still bringing the image through space, and therefore time, however quick it occurs.
What does the instant mirror image at the film consist of?

Quote:
Quote:
Photons that got there instantly from somewhere else (i.e. teleported)?
Do you see how you are constantly talking about photons, not the eye, which is what the claim is referring to?
Do you see how you are weaseling out of answering another question about YOUR claims?

Quote:
Quote:
Newly existing photons that popped into existence at the film? Something other than photons? What?
Why do you keep talking about photons popping into existence? You are creating a space in time that does not exist in efferent vision. The eyes are focusing on the object because of light, not the other way around. You are thinking reverse when you talk about photons needing to arrive, which is causing the conflict.
You haven't answered the fucking question. Weasel.

Quote:
Quote:
Are there traveling photons striking the object on your account, which do not get absorbed by the object? If so, where are they immediately after they hit the object? Are they traveling away from the surface of the object or not?

Are there photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken? Are they photons which were previously traveling towards the camera or not? If not, did they exist at all prior to the photograph being taken? If they did previously exist, then where were they immediately before the photograph was taken?

(Note how none of these questions presuppose anything about afferent vision or traveling photons.)
You are presupposing that the only way to see is for light to be traveling. This is the afferent position. You are failing to understand the difference between these two versions, which, once again, highlights where the problem is originating.
Lies. And you just weaselled again. Note the parts I just put in bold. I am not presupposing anything here about traveling photons. The questions specifically ask whether or not the photons concerned will be or were traveling. You just weaselled.

If you accept that there are photons hitting the ball, and that the absorptive properties of the object are relevant to what is seen or photographed, then I get to ask about these photons. If you accept that there are photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken to produce the photographic image, then I get to ask about these photons as well. So stop your dishonest weaselling and address the damn questions. Here they are again:

Are there traveling photons striking the object on your account, which do not get absorbed by the object? If so, where are they immediately after they hit the object? Are they traveling away from the surface of the object or not?

Are there photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken? Are they photons which were previously traveling towards the camera or not? If not, did they exist at all prior to the photograph being taken? If they did previously exist, then where were they immediately before the photograph was taken?

(Note how none of these questions presuppose anything about afferent vision or traveling photons.)
...so that you can ignore them like you ignored these ones?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Optics does not say that photons can interact with film if they are separated by space. Did you mean something else?
No, optics says that we focus the light, and nothing else. Lessans says we interact with light also, but we need the object in view. Of course, if the light has not traveled to Earth, we would not be able to see anything close by because there would be no light in which to see it. You may need to do more investigation on your own in order to understand why light does not have to travel to Earth for photons to interact with the eyes, even though the light has not traveled the intervening space which would allow us to see each other. The reason he brought this example up in the first place is to show that there is no time involved in efferent vision, therefore all we have is the present.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Instead of telling me the requirements for real-time seeing are contradictory (which they aren't), and therefore you conclude that we don't see the way Lessans' claimed, why can't you ask more questions to see if maybe you are premature in your judgment?
Holy shit. There's a question RIGHT THERE in the very part of my post you were here replying to, which you just IGNORED instead of answering... in order to tell me I should be asking more questions! Dafuq, Peacegirl? Are there truly no bounds to your ineptness?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, optics says that we focus the light, and nothing else.
Huh? How is that even related?

Optics and chemistry says that the light, whether reflected or emitted, must actually come into contact with the film, by physically touching it, to create a photographic image.

What are you talking about? Why are you weaseling again instead of answering the simple, reasonable question Vivisectus asked you? You like questions right? So answer

how is it possible for Photons to interact with film from miles away without crossing the intervening space?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not answer your dumb questions anymore ...
Quote:
...why can't you ask more questions...?
What on earth is going on inside that head of yours?
Angakuk (03-09-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM

You're not asking the right questions. The following are acceptable

"This is so wonderful, please tell me more!"

"How did Mr. Lessans get to be such a perfect and infallible genius? Where would you like the statue of him to reside?"

"Oh my I am confused because I was educated stupid, can you please explain about the non-magical totally physical-law-abiding mirror images again please?"
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-09-2012), Spacemonkey (03-08-2012), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
You're not asking the right questions. The following are acceptable

"This is so wonderful, please tell me more!"

"How did Mr. Lessans get to be such a perfect and infallible genius? Where would you like the statue of him to reside?"

"Oh my I am confused because I was educated stupid, can you please explain about the non-magical totally physical-law-abiding mirror images again please?"
Exactly. She says she wants me to ask questions to work out if I'm being premature in concluding that Lessans was wrong. But what she means is that she wants me to ask questions which do not challenge her ideas in any way. Yet only questions which challenge her and Lessans' claims are relevant to working out whether or not those claims are correct (or even possible), and she doesn't want people to ask those kinds of questions. She wants me rather to assume that I have been premature, so that she can continue pretending that her position might actually be plausible when it obviously is not.
Angakuk (03-09-2012), LadyShea (03-08-2012), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Hey, asshat? You want more questions? Here is one (among hundreds) you have not answered:

Well?

Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not answer your dumb questions anymore ...
Quote:
...why can't you ask more questions...?
What on earth is going on inside that head of yours?

The answer to that question would explain a lot. Of course it may not be something 'on Earth'.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM

[quote=Spacemonkey;1042367]
Quote:
Quote:
Wrong. Maybe you don't, but I do see how efferent vision changes the very thing that is believed to be impossible.
No you don't. If you did then you'd be capable of telling us how it does so. But you can't.

Quote:
Quote:
The photons have to be there at the film or retina to interact with it. And you have given no explanation of how they get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there.
EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:facepalm: That's just a word. It is not an explanation. According to :derp: "EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :derp: how do the photons at the film get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there?

Quote:
Wrong again. I don't have to reject physics to maintain that these claims are valid. That I refuse to address those questions is because you're missing the most important aspect of all this --- efferent vision. All you're doing is following the afferent version of sight, which would be a problem because in this version time is a factor.
But I'm not following the afferent version of sight. I'm doing EXACTLY as you asked by starting with the assumption that vision is real-time and working backwards to see how that could be possible. You refuse to address my questions about this, showing that you do not know how much of physics will be compatible with it, and that you have no interest in finding out.

Quote:
But in efferent vision, there is no non-zero actual distance covered, so there is no travel time and, consequently, THERE IS NO TELEPORTATION.
Sorry, but your model doesn't get to change or deny the ACTUAL distance between the object and the eye or camera. If there is no such distance in your model, then your account is not modelling what it is meant to explain. In REALITY there is a real physical distance between objects and the camera/retina.
I am not going to keep going in circles. You can reject this account if you believe it isn't possible. But your logic is imperfect. FYI, I never denied the ACTUAL distance between the object and the eye or camera, but this doesn't negate the fact that the lens is capturing a mirror image of the external world, even as light travels at a finite speed.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I am not going to keep going in circles. You can reject this account if you believe it isn't possible. But your logic is imperfect. FYI, I never denied the ACTUAL distance between the object and the eye or camera, but this doesn't negate the fact that the lens is capturing a mirror image of the external world, even as light travels at a finite speed.
:lol: what a little fool.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
How did the photons comprising that mirror image at the film get to the film, if they didn't travel there and didn't teleport there?

Why are you telling me to ask more questions when you refuse to answer any questions that I ask?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
:lol: what a little fool.

Ahh, you noticed. :yup:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy