Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Question Mark Postcount in the "Reported Posts" Forum

As you may have noticed, there's a Reported Posts forum at the bottom of the index. Any post report automatically generates a thread that can only be viewed and posted to by the reporting member and the Admins.

The way it's currently set, posts in that forum do not increase your postcount. As I told Godot when we were testing it yesterday, I didn't actually remember setting it that way, but I imagine my rationale was that it's basically a forum version of a PM exchange between staff and member.

On the other hand, they are posts so why not count them? I can't really say I care either way. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: Postcount in the "Reported Posts" Forum

I wonder, could knowing a member's post count somehow allow a curious person, whether with evil intent or not, to search for a specific post, somehow circumventing the invisibility of the Reported Posts forum? Why include posts there in the post count anyway? What is the big deal with post count totals anyway?

Warren
Old 07-20-2004, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
I wonder, could knowing a member's post count somehow allow a curious person, whether with evil intent or not, to search for a specific post, somehow circumventing the invisibility of the Reported Posts forum?
No sir. Any such search would turn up only the publically visible posts.

Quote:
Why include posts there in the post count anyway?
Just cause they're posts, I guess. I don't have a compelling reason. My vague thought when choosing to make them not count was that it's basically correspondence, but other than that, I have no opinion.

Quote:
What is the big deal with post count totals anyway?
Well, some people like using them as watermarks of their participation. I know when I hit 3000 at IIDB it was a pretty big deal to me (of course, it also took 3 years). On other sites, postcount ties into points and shop systems, so people with x number of posts get x number of points and with y number can by a custom title or make their handle pink with sparkles, that sort of thing.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:22 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Well, some people like using them as watermarks of their participation. I know when I hit 3000 at IIDB it was a pretty big deal to me (of course, it also took 3 years). On other sites, postcount ties into points and shop systems, so people with x number of posts get x number of points and with y number can by a custom title or make their handle pink with sparkles, that sort of thing.

I once made my handle orange with sparkles...I later figured out it was from eating cheetos while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Petty Moralist Censor

I only pointed this discrepancy out to liv in the first place because it jumped out at me. At the end of the day, I don't really care either way whether or not they are counted. I would be more inclined to have them count though as they are posts and not PM's. :shrug:
Old 07-20-2004, 06:18 PM

Ugh. That's buy a custom title, dammit. I'd even have given Ronin a lmao smilie if he hadn't quoted that lame typo.

Oh well... I'm fine with the a post is a post principle. I'll go ahead and flip the switch now. Thanks for noticing, Godot, and thank you warrenly for chiming in.

And it's done. :)
Old 07-24-2004, 06:31 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Ugh. That's buy a custom title, dammit. I'd even have given Ronin a lmao smilie if he hadn't quoted that lame typo.
Like I would EVER find the brass ones to openly edit your work!

Chaw...right.

[Rock <Ronin> Hard Place]

Trust me, I'd rather be heartlessly denied my due Miss Assless Smilie than the alternative.

<shudder>

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration