Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 01-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Clown Laureate

Default Suck on this

Anybody here smoke cigars? I have a mate who's gotten a bit serious with it all and he's slowly drawing me in, no pun intended. Tonight we had a couple of Cremosa Cubanas. I think I enjoyed them most out of all the different ones we've tried (and, yes, I've had a montecristo - #1 & #2).

I get the feeling I'll be shopping for a humidor sometime soon. Anyone else with an oral fixation out there (hush, scarletpeaches)?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Default Re: Suck on this

I know next to nothing about these things, and - despite having opportunity - have never even tried one.

What are the health risks surrounding cigars? Are they addictive like their smaller cousins?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Clown Laureate

I have no idea, but I bet the answer's yes. And I'm sure they're really bad for you.

Regardless, if you get the opportunity again, I can heartily recommend trying them. The smell alone tonight was enough to die for.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Now in six dimensions!

What's the appeal? Is it a taste/smell/texture most people like, or is it something you really have to aquire a taste for (like coffee)? Or it just the fun of having a big fat, warm, long cylinder in your mouth?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 PM
ne'er-do-well

I average about 2-3 cigars a year. I do enjoy smoking them, I just don't get the opportunity a lot.

As for a humidor, I decided last year to pick up one of these. I have a Tupperware container for the cigars, and just put that thing in there with them. Works well for me, and it's a cheap solution.

Only serious smokers really need a fancy humidor. Cheap bastards like me can get by with a plastic container, that Drymistat, and if you're feeling saucy, some of those wood chips to maintain a good aroma in the box.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:41 PM
ne'er-do-well

Re: health effects. Cigars do not contain nicotine, which is what makes cigarettes so damn addictive. In addition, cigars generally do not contain the other harmful chemicals in cigarettes. Also, you're not supposed to inhale the smoke into your lungs. You smoke a cigar for flavor, so the smoke only needs to go as far as your mouth.

That said, it's not like a cigar is packed with Vitamin C. Regular cigar smokers increase their risk of developing of mouth and throat cancer. I'm not sure if there are any long-term dental effects, but there may be (problems with gums, stained teeth, etc.)

The appeal is the smell and taste, but I'm not denying that there may be an oral fixation factor at work here as well. It's best to start with a mild, good quality cigar. The ones they sell in the 7-Eleven are horrible, and if that's your only cigar experience, you'll get the wrong impression of them.

I prefer to buy from a mail order / online catalog. The per-cigar cost is a lot less than a retail store, and if you're not sure what kinds of cigars you like, the sampler packs are a great bet.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

:unlemon:
Old 01-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waluigi
Cigars do not contain nicotine
Numerous web pages deny this. Alice says "Smoking five cigars a day, and inhaling moderately, produces the same lung cancer risk as for a pack-a-day cigarette smoker. Since cigars are much larger than cigarettes, each one packs more punch. Some large cigars contain as much tobacco (and nicotine) as an entire pack of cigarettes." The relative health benefit comes from not inhaling, and from smoking cigars only occasionally. Rather like spitting out wine after tasting it ...

Quote:
Unlike cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products, cigars are not required to carry health-warning labels, which may contribute to the perception that they are safer than cigarettes (especially if people don't inhale). Also, while the Federal Trade Commission oversees a testing program reporting the amount of tar, nicotine, and carbon monoxide in most brands of cigarettes, cigars are not included in this testing, and cigar manufacturers don't have to report any such data to any federal agency. Thus, little consistent data exists about the harmful chemicals contained in cigars.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 01-14-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivale Ed
...Anyone else with an oral fixation out there (hush, scarletpeaches)?...
Fag!

I resemble the implication! :glare:
Old 01-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Clown Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
What's the appeal? Is it a taste/smell/texture most people like, or is it something you really have to aquire a taste for (like coffee)? Or it just the fun of having a big fat, warm, long cylinder in your mouth?
I'm a smoker anyway, but it's the smell of a nice cigar that really gets me. Once lit, I'm constantly holding them under my nose and letting the smoke drift up. Heaven. I also have to echo Waluigi's comment - don't buy cheap cigars from a 7/11 or whatever. Up until this year, they were my only experience with cigars and I hated them. I'm guessing it's like the difference between a nice wine and two-buck-chuck.

Oh, and I won't deny the possibility that I just enjoy the affectation of it all. The humidor, the cutter, the flamethrower-type lighter that you need. Pretty toys for grown-up boys :).
Old 01-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Clown Laureate

Quote:
I average about 2-3 cigars a year. I do enjoy smoking them, I just don't get the opportunity a lot.
If I get into it, I figure this'll be about my rate, maybe a couple more. I think it works best for me as a sort of infrequent treat.

Quote:
As for a humidor, I decided last year to pick up one of these. I have a Tupperware container for the cigars, and just put that thing in there with them. Works well for me, and it's a cheap solution.
Cool alternative, didn't realise you could do it that way. But ...

Quote:
Only serious smokers really need a fancy humidor. Cheap bastards like me can get by with a plastic container, that Drymistat, and if you're feeling saucy, some of those wood chips to maintain a good aroma in the box.
Well, I'm probably not a serious smoker, but I'm definitely going to need the humidor (not sure how fancy). I'm as much a fan of the paraphernalia as I am the cigars themselves. Woodchips, though, that's genius :). Got a recommendation on what type, or should the wood change with the type of cigar?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Clown Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches
Fag!
I just typed the phrase, 'Pretty toys for grown-up boys.' Of course I'm a fag :)
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Bad Wolf

I enjoy cigars, but I already enjoy expensive beer and expensive weed, so for fiscal reasons I decided not to add another expensive vice at this point in my life.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Re: health effects. Cigars do not contain nicotine
:dielaugh: Are you on crack as well as ridiculous amounts of nicotine, boy? No really, are you shitting me? You totally are, aren't you? Nobody could be this stupid. Nobody! *denies*

Quote:
In addition, cigars generally do not contain the other harmful chemicals in cigarettes.

There are no words or smileys suitable to express the scope of my reaction to this statement. Once again, teh intarweb has failed me. Woe.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM
ne'er-do-well

Alright, so I was wrong. I have an idea... why don't you berate me, since you're obviously vastly superior in intellect?

Fucktard.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Alright, so I was wrong. I have an idea... why don't you berate me, since you're obviously vastly superior in intellect?
Because it's one of those things where information is so easily available, where simple logic using your own brain could have told you otherwise, and where you can't affrord to be wrong. THe US NIH has found regular sigar smokers (like yourself) have higher rates of lung cancer than cigarette-smokers because of the higher levels of carbon monoxide your body absorbs through the mouth and lungs. You can't afford to be so fuckoff ignorant when you're killing yourself like that. Then again, if you are, maybe you should keep puffing away. Natural selection at work, and all that.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
ne'er-do-well

Regular smoker = 2-3 times a year? You've got an odd definition of "regular".

The long-term health effects of my decidedly occasional vice are basically negligible, or a low enough risk that I don't care about them, anyway.

I maintain there's no need for the hostility. If you hate me that much, just put me on ignore. If you don't, then you're just an asshole, and we're done here.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Bad Wolf

Nicotine is a naturally occuring chemical in tobacco. However, cigarette companies have been known to add extra nicotine to cigarettes (as well as ammonia and other nasties). The tobacco in cigars is a little less processed than cigarette tobacco. Still bad for you, of course. Many cigar smokers don't inhale - but I do. Not on every puff, but once in a while.

Someone told me to smoke a good cigar after eating food with a lot of curry; apparently there's a synergistic effect.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Regular smoker = 2-3 times a year? You've got an odd definition of "regular".
Okay, I do apologise for that one. For some reason I thought it was "2-3 times a day". For the record, your honour, I would like to show that I actually do need to get my glasses prescription checked soon. Not an excuse, just an explanation. Sorry Waluigi. I get hostile around stupid regular smokers.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Clown Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
I get hostile around stupid regular smokers.
:scared2:
Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Clown Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Dave
I enjoy cigars, but I already enjoy expensive beer and expensive weed, so for fiscal reasons I decided not to add another expensive vice at this point in my life.
I figure once I get the humidor out of the way, it won't be too pricey. Like I said, I only plan on smoking evry couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Dave
Many cigar smokers don't inhale - but I do. Not on every puff, but once in a while.
Me too, depending on the cigar. Some have the right taste to draw right back, others don't. I definitely prefer the former.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
I get hostile
Pretty much sums it up.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle