Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The retina is a location and the Sun is a location. If the Sun is newly turned on at noon, and the photons are on the retina at noon as well as being emitted by the Sun at noon, that means light is in two places at the same time.
Quote:
No it does not. It means the photons are at the retina
Are the photons also at the Sun or en route to Earth?

If yes, then you have the same photons at two locations
If no then you have photons teleporting to retinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Then why did you say "No it does not" when my point absolutely stands?
Quote:
No it does not stand. Light energy is constantly traveling so how can photons be at two places at the same time?
Because you have stated they are located at the retina and also at the Sun at noon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
I did not say "no it does not" when the conditions are favorable. What are you talking about LadyShea, and why are you trying, as koan does, to implicate me on things that have no bearing on this discussion?
Quote:
What are you talking about with favorable conditions? We are using Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, and being able to see the Sun at noon when no photons, at all, are on Earth..again according to his very own scenario. These "conditions" are very clearly stated in the quoted posts above.

You have stated that photons will physically interact with retinas and camera film under these conditions at noon.
Only if the Sun is so bright that we are able to see this star when it's first turned on.
According to Lessans scenario, this is the case. He sated we will see the Sun at noon.

Where all are photons located at noon in that scenario?

Quote:
Quote:
That means you have photons located 1. on the Sun, and 2. on camera film or retinas, at noon. That's two different locations (count them) at the same time(noon).
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. Unless you are not saying photons are on the retina, or you are not saying that photons are not beginning to be emitted by the Sun at noon
Quote:
You are looking at the photons traveling to Earth before we can see the Sun (the afferent perspective)
No I am not talking about seeing at all.

I am only asking you to clarify where photons are physically located, at noon, in Lessans scenario. Which you know what I am asking and are choosing to act dense as a way to weasel.
You are so confused as to what efferent vision allows that you think you are right in your condemnation. But you are not right, and for you to act as if you do is a total sham LadyShea. Just admit that you aren't sure, and that would be a great leap toward deciphering what is actually true from what is THOUGHT to be true.
I am sure you are copping out with your weaseling. Answer the questions, that will help decipher the efferent account, which you currently have as something from Wonderland.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time.

Are there photons located on retinas at 12:00:00? If yes, where did they come from? How did they get there?
Are there photons located on the Sun just being emitted at 12:00:00?
I didn't come back to get into this again. Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model. When we see an object, that indicates the photons are already at the retina. If the Sun was turned on, we would see it instantly but we would not see each other for 8 minutes. Anything that is seen in the external world indicates that the object is already within our optical range, but this does not mean that this wavelength/frequency bounces and travels. Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form. I told you that this explanation is no worse than the explanation given by scientists that try to explain the afferent model.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

And she's back already. That didn't take long, and was predicted by everyone.

Quote:
I couldn't help from coming back because you're so utterly mistaken koan.
No, that is not the reason.

Quote:
You are so confused as to what efferent vision allows that you think you are right in your condemnation. But you are not right, and for you to act as if you do is a total sham LadyShea. Just admit that you aren't sure, and that would be a great leap toward deciphering what is actually true from what is THOUGHT to be true.
She's not as confused about efferent vision as you are. Have you worked out whether or not your instant mirror image photons came from the Sun yet? Will you admit that YOU are not sure about efferent vision and how it is supposed to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Those questions again:-

Regarding the photons present at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited, did they come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

Were they ever located at the Sun? [Yes or No]

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

If not, where did they come from? [State a physical object or location]
Quote:
I will bet anything you care to name that you are not done at all, and that you will be back here posting again regularly. These questions will still be here waiting for you when you come back.
Bump.
koan (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The retina is a location and the Sun is a location. If the Sun is newly turned on at noon, and the photons are on the retina at noon as well as being emitted by the Sun at noon, that means light is in two places at the same time.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
No it does not stand. Light energy is constantly traveling so how can photons be at two places at the same time?
Because you have stated they are located at the retina and also at the Sun at noon

Quote:
Quote:
I did not say "no it does not" when the conditions are favorable. What are you talking about LadyShea, and why are you trying, as koan does, to implicate me on things that have no bearing on this discussion?
Quote:
What are you talking about with favorable conditions? We are using Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, and being able to see the Sun at noon when no photons, at all, are on Earth..again according to his very own scenario. These "conditions" are very clearly stated in the quoted posts above.

You have stated that photons will physically interact with retinas and camera film under these conditions at noon.
Only if the Sun is so bright that we are able to see this star when it's first turned on.
According to Lessans scenario, this is the case. He sated we will see the Sun at noon.

Quote:
Quote:
That means you have photons located 1. on the Sun, and 2. on camera film or retinas, at noon. That's two different locations (count them) at the same time(noon).
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. Unless you are not saying photons are on the retina, or you are not saying that photons are not beginning to be emitted by the Sun at noon
Quote:
You are looking at the photons traveling to Earth before we can see the Sun (the afferent perspective)

I am only asking you to clarify where photons are physically located, at noon, in Lessans scenario. Which you know what I am asking and are choosing to act dense as a way to weasel.
I am sure you are copping out with your weaseling. Answer the questions, that will help decipher the efferent account, which you currently have as something from Wonderland.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time.

Are there photons located on retinas at 12:00:00? If yes, where did they come from? How did they get there?
I didn't come back to get into this again. Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model.
Then light has completely different properties in the efferent model. Why do you keep denying that this is the case?

Quote:
Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form.
In this scenario the object is the Sun, and it is present.

And light does travel through space and time. That is a known and empirically observable property of light.

So, please admit that for efferent vision to be true, light must have completely different properties than it is known and observed to have.

Also, you ignored the question:

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't come back to get into this again.
Bad luck. So long as you are here you will be expected to answer questions about your claims. As long as you keep trying to defend efferent vision you will be expected to answer our questions about it.

Quote:
Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model.
And yet the light does have to be there at the retina, so if it didn't travel there then where did it come from and how did it get there?

Quote:
When we see an object, that indicates the photons are already at the retina.
Sure, but where did those photons come from and how did they get to the retina?

Quote:
If the Sun was turned on, we would see it instantly but we would not see each other for 8 minutes.
Yes, that's what Lessans said, even though you spent the last few days disagreeing with him by suggesting that the newly ignited Sun might not be bright enough to be seen.

Quote:
Anything that is seen in the external world indicates that the object is already within our optical range, but this does not mean that this wavelength/frequency bounces and travels.
Wavelength/frequency is a property of all light. Light bounces off objects that it hits and travels away from them. Light cannot go anywhere without its wavelength/frequency.

Quote:
Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form.
So if the object is there, and light hits it and bounces off to begin traveling away from it, what happens to that traveling light when the object disappears? Does the traveling light just wink out of existence at the same time as the object?

Quote:
I told you that this explanation is no worse than the explanation given by scientists that try to explain the afferent model.
Yes, you've claimed this, but unfortunately it is obviously not true. Efferent vision is nowhere near as plausible. For starters, afferent vision can explain all of the evidence we've raised against efferent vision, and for which your best response has been that something else must be going on there but you don't know what. And the afferent account does not posit light anywhere without being able to explain where it came from or how it got there.

Regarding the photons present at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited, did they come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

Angakuk (02-05-2013), LadyShea (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I told you that this explanation is no worse than the explanation given by scientists that try to explain the afferent model.
Um, it's much much worse because you have no empirical observations indicating efferent vision is at work, you can't explain existing empirical observations, and you have offered no plausible or possible mechanisms.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
You just don't see it LadyShea, and there's nothing I can do to change that. I said that the pattern does not get reflected. I never said that light can be in two places at once. Yes, I said that cameras, telescopes, and miscroscopes will only pick up photons when the object is present in some form. I'm not weaseling, but I know this whole thread is a lost cause.
Take a simple magnifying glass and place it between a light and a flat surface. Most likely, you'll start out by seeing a blurry spot of light. If you move the magnifying glass back and forth, you'll see the spot of light changes from being blurry to being a reversed image of the light source.

Could you explain to me, in terms of "efferent vision", what it is I'm seeing on that flat surface? In the "efferent vision" model, why is the image sometimes blurry, sometimes a reversed image in the light source? In the "efferent model" why is the image reversed? In the "efferent model" is the magnifying glass doing anything other than bending light?

I'd be curious is you can even explain this phenomenon, because in the scientific model of vision, this is explained perfectly.
Have you given any thought about how Lessans's ideas apply here? No one will take you seriously until phenomena like this are readily explainable in Lessan's model, because this is explained perfectly by the scientific model of vision.
Thanks, from:
koan (01-31-2013), LadyShea (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model. When we see an object, that indicates the photons are already at the retina. If the Sun was turned on, we would see it instantly but we would not see each other for 8 minutes. Anything that is seen in the external world indicates that the object is already within our optical range, but this does not mean that this wavelength/frequency bounces and travels. Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form.

Then you need to explain how the retina and the photons at the sun, when newley ignited, can be in close proximity over 93 million miles.

Actually all the emperical evidence now demonstrates that light does travel through space and time, even if the object no longer exists. Astronomy can clearly demonstrate this.

The explination of efferent vision is totally lacking when compaired with the emperical evidence gathered from many years of observation and experimentation. Afferent vision is in complete accord with this evidence and observations of the real world.

Contrary to your's and Lessans opinion of scientists, any scientist worth his salt, would jump at the chance to demonstrate that information could be transmited faster than the speed of light. This has been a major goal of many scientists for many years and they are still trying. Efferent vision would be just the thing to make a scientist world famous, a celebrety, and guarentee a Nobel prize. If there were any chance that it were true, the whole scientific comunity would be putting all their effort into proving it possible, but so far every test and experiment points to afferent vision being true.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

This is complete and total 'Bullshit'. The afferent vision model works perfectly, and the efferent model doesn't work at all.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Spacemonkey, you are not a diagnostician. I came online and saw what koan wrote. She's so mistaken that I felt I had to correct her. I am not staying that long. Oh my gosh, do you sit around waiting for me all day? You seem to follow my every move. :glare:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
She's not as confused about efferent vision as you are. Have you worked out whether or not your instant mirror image photons came from the Sun yet? Will you admit that YOU are not sure about efferent vision and how it is supposed to work?

Quote:

Quote:
I will bet anything you care to name that you are not done at all, and that you will be back here posting again regularly. These questions will still be here waiting for you when you come back.
Bump.
I told you that when the eyes are looking outward, the space between the object (which is large enough to be seen, and bright enough to be seen), is not millions of miles. All you're doing is thinking about traveling photons that have to cross this great distance, and I'm telling you that, although light energy travels, the mirror image shows up because of how efferent vision works. You keep thinking that the blue frequency travels before the red and, therefore, according to physical laws, the blue photons will strike the eye first, but you're reasoning is inaccurate. What more can I say Spacemonkey? Anyway, I'm not here just for you. :wave:

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Um, it's much much worse because you have no empirical observations indicating efferent vision is at work, you can't explain existing empirical observations, and you have offered no plausible or possible mechanisms.
I have observed that dogs cannot recognize their owners from a picture or a video for that matter. This can easily be empirically tested, not that this is absolute proof that the eyes are not a sense organ, but it is a beginning. This bickering back and forth is not going to change anything LadyShea. You believe that the deep Hubble proves that we see the past, and I don't. More testing has to be done. End of sentence.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You just don't see it LadyShea, and there's nothing I can do to change that. I said that the pattern does not get reflected. I never said that light can be in two places at once. Yes, I said that cameras, telescopes, and miscroscopes will only pick up photons when the object is present in some form. I'm not weaseling, but I know this whole thread is a lost cause.
Take a simple magnifying glass and place it between a light and a flat surface. Most likely, you'll start out by seeing a blurry spot of light. If you move the magnifying glass back and forth, you'll see the spot of light changes from being blurry to being a reversed image of the light source.

Could you explain to me, in terms of "efferent vision", what it is I'm seeing on that flat surface? In the "efferent vision" model, why is the image sometimes blurry, sometimes a reversed image in the light source? In the "efferent model" why is the image reversed? In the "efferent model" is the magnifying glass doing anything other than bending light?

I'd be curious is you can even explain this phenomenon, because in the scientific model of vision, this is explained perfectly.
Have you given any thought about how Lessans's ideas apply here? No one will take you seriously until phenomena like this are readily explainable in Lessan's model, because this is explained perfectly by the scientific model of vision.
I have never given much thought to this because the physics of light doesn't change just because of the direction we see. It seems to me that this phenomenon has to do with the focal point or focal length but how light works using mirrors or magnifying glasses has no bearing on the validity of this model.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Spacemonkey, you are not a diagnostician. I came online and saw what koan wrote. She's so mistaken that I felt I had to correct her. I am not staying that long. Oh my gosh, do you sit around waiting for me all day? You seem to follow my every move. :glare:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Bump.
I told you that when the eyes are looking outward, the space between the object (which is large enough to be seen, and bright enough to be seen), is not millions of miles.
But it is millions of miles. Those miles exist and can be measured. You have them being magically removed.

Quote:
All you're doing is thinking about traveling photons that have to cross this great distance, and I'm telling you that, although light energy travels, the mirror image shows up because of how efferent vision works.
How does it work? How are these millions of miles negated? You've never explained it at all, only asserted that it is so.

Also, you are still ignoring the questions.

Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have observed that dogs cannot recognize their owners from a picture or a video for that matter.
Even if that is absolutely true, it is just as easily explained by the standard model of vision as it much more likely related to cognitive processing differences.

Quote:
This can easily be empirically tested, not that this is absolute proof that the eyes are not a sense organ, but it is a beginning.
There is no reason to think it has nothing to do with the eyes at all. You think it does because Lessans thought it did. There is nothing about that observation that brings the standard model into question.

Quote:
You believe that the deep Hubble proves that we see the past, and I don't. More testing has to be done. End of sentence.
You believe things on faith alone, and I don't, so why are you still trying to convince me to take Lessans word for anything when he had no evidence?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I told you that when the eyes are looking outward, the space between the object (which is large enough to be seen, and bright enough to be seen), is not millions of miles.
The space between the object and what is not millions of miles? The retina is on Earth, 93 million miles away from the Sun.

Quote:
All you're doing is thinking about traveling photons that have to cross this great distance...
No, I'm asking you where the photons came from and how they got to the retina if they didn't travel across the intervening distance.

Quote:
...and I'm telling you that, although light energy travels, the mirror image shows up because of how efferent vision works.
'How efferent vision works' is not an explanation. You don't know how efferent vision works. How it works is precisely what we are asking you about.

Quote:
You keep thinking that the blue frequency travels before the red and, therefore, according to physical laws, the blue photons will strike the eye first, but you're reasoning is inaccurate.
I'm not saying anything about blue and red photons or which would arrive first. I'm simply asking you where your mirror image photons came from and how they got to the retina.

Quote:
What more can I say Spacemonkey?
You could answer my questions. Here they are again:-

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I have observed that dogs cannot recognize their owners from a picture or a video for that matter.

Then describe, in detail, how these observations were conducted. What were the controls in place, and how was the experiment conducted. what was the nature of the photograph, and how was it presented to the dog in the experiment. If these were random, uncontroled, events, then they are meaningless in a scientific setting. Without proper controls, no useful information can be gained from them.

More likely you are just lying again to cover your ass.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Quote:

I didn't come back to get into this again. Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model.
Then light has completely different properties in the efferent model. Why do you keep denying that this is the case?
Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model. Light energy travels; photons travel. The only thing that has changed is the direction we see. If it is true that the brain looks through the eyes, as a window to the world, that is what allows light to be at the retina even though light hasn't reached Earth yet. That's the crux of the problem; demonstrating that these photons are able to provide a mirror image at the retina, even though light travels at 186,000 miles a second. You have to bear in mind that, according to this version of sight, the distance between the eye and the object is not as significant as the conditions that are required for us to see any substance in the external world.

Quote:
Quote:

And light does travel through space and time. That is a known and empirically observable property of light.

So, please admit that for efferent vision to be true, light must have completely different properties than it is known and observed to have.
No, I won't admit that because light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever.

Quote:

Just like seeing a Supernova, if the Sun is large enough and bright enough when it first turned on (again, if it is not bright enough it will take time for us to see it; but this is not the same thing as seeing the Sun after the photons reach Earth) we will see it in real time because the conditions that are required for sight have been met, although the light being emitted from the Sun won't reach Earth for 8 minutes during which time we will be able to see each other.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model.
But it must, for you are positing light at a location that is not a light source and which the light has not traveled to.

Quote:
If it is true that the brain looks through the eyes, as a window to the world, that is what allows light to be at the retina even though light hasn't reached Earth yet.
The only way anything can be at X without reaching X is if it starts at X. Are you suggesting that the mirror image photons are newly existing photons that came into existence at the retina?

Quote:
That's the crux of the problem; demonstrating that these photons are able to provide a mirror image at the retina, even though light travels at 186,000 miles a second.
Yes, that is the problem you are refusing to address.

Quote:
Just like seeing a Supernova, if the Sun is large enough and bright enough when it first turned on [...] we will see it in real time [...] although the light being emitted from the Sun won't reach Earth for 8 minutes during which time we will be able to see each other.
So the photons instantly at the retina were not emitted from the Sun? If the light emitted from the Sun won't be there until 8 minutes later, then the light which is already there cannot have been emitted from the Sun. So where did it come from?

And you didn't answer LadyShea's question, which was for you to name the locations of light at noon. Also:-

LadyShea (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Quote:

Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model. Light energy travels; photons travel. The only thing that has changed is the direction we see.
Then why did you say " Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model"?

The ability to physically interact with matter at a physical distance is not a property that light has.

Quote:
If it is true that the brain looks through the eyes, as a window to the world, that is what allows light to be at the retina even though light hasn't reached Earth yet.
Interacting with matter at a physical distance is an unknown property of light. Sorry that's just a fact. If you can explain how this occurs without positing new properties of light or impossibilities, then do so, if you are just going to keep making assertions you can't support, what's the point of your "coming back"?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No, I won't admit that because light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever.
This statement contradicts previous statements. So you are contradicting yourself.

Light travels through space and time unless/until it is absorbed by matter it encounters. The emitting or reflecting object has nothing to do with this property of light.

Quote:
Quote:

Just like seeing a Supernova, if the Sun is large enough and bright enough when it first turned on (again, if it is not bright enough it will take time for us to see it; but this is not the same thing as seeing the Sun after the photons reach Earth) we will see it in real time because the conditions that are required for sight have been met, although the light being emitted from the Sun won't reach Earth for 8 minutes during which time we will be able to see each other.
You ignored the question again.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The space between the object and what is not millions of miles? The retina is on Earth, 93 million miles away from the Sun.
You are not understanding why the conditions do not require photons to travel to Earth for the light to be at the retina in the efferent account. The whole demonstration is the opposite of the position you are coming from, and they will never meet. I said this before. All you're doing is repeating yourself.

Quote:
All you're doing is thinking about traveling photons that have to cross this great distance...
Quote:
No, I'm asking you where the photons came from and how they got to the retina if they didn't travel across the intervening distance.
You have to think in terms of the requirements of efferent sight, which allow us to see in real time. As I said before, distance is not the requirement. The requirement is brightness and size and it does not matter how far away something is. If it meets these requirements, we will be in optical range. The farther the object is, the less photons will be at the retina. The closer, more photons will be at the retina. Same exact thing as afferent vision except that there is no time involved because the non-absorbed photons are not traveling through space/time. Only the full spectrum is traveling through space/time.

Quote:
...and I'm telling you that, although light energy travels, the mirror image shows up because of how efferent vision works.
Quote:
'How efferent vision works' is not an explanation. You don't know how efferent vision works. How it works is precisely what we are asking you about.
And I'm trying to explain to you precisely how it works without it looking like teleportation or magic.

Quote:
You keep thinking that the blue frequency travels before the red and, therefore, according to physical laws, the blue photons will strike the eye first, but you're reasoning is inaccurate.
Quote:
I'm not saying anything about blue and red photons or which would arrive first. I'm simply asking you where your mirror image photons came from and how they got to the retina.
What do you mean "where did the photons come from"? They came from the Sun. If I see an object, that MEANS the photons (or the mirror image which does not mean photons in two places at the same time) are already at the retina because there's no time lapse.

Quote:
What more can I say Spacemonkey?
Quote:
You could answer my questions. Here they are again:-

YES, but again the Sun won't be seen the very moment it is turned on unless it is so bright that would be within our visual range. If not, it would take time for this substance to be seen, but this has nothing to do with this same light having to travel to Earth first.

YES

12:00

Doesn't apply.

Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:

YES, but again the Sun won't be seen the very moment it is turned on unless it is so bright that would be within our visual range. If not, it would take time for this substance to be seen, but this has nothing to do with this same light having to travel to Earth first.

YES

You are back to photons being two places at once. On the Sun and on the retina both at noon.

Those are two different locations no matter what direction we see.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Quote:

Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model. Light energy travels; photons travel. The only thing that has changed is the direction we see.
Then why did you say " Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model"?

The ability to physically interact with matter at a physical distance is not a property that light has.

Quote:
Interacting with matter at a physical distance is an unknown property of light. Sorry that's just a fact. If you can explain how this occurs without positing new properties of light or impossibilities, then do so, if you are just going to keep making assertions you can't support, what's the point of your "coming back"?
There is no physical distance in this account. It's not like shaking hands across the internet. That's what I'm trying to tell you. But you can't see this because you are thinking in terms of light instead of the eyes.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
This statement contradicts previous statements. So you are contradicting yourself.
The only difference is that non-absorbed light, as opposed to absorbed light, does not get reflected and travel through space time. The physics of light remains the same.

Quote:
Light travels through space and time unless/until it is absorbed by matter it encounters. The emitting or reflecting object has nothing to do with this property of light.
Yes it does. It provides the light at the retina which allows us to see said object. :doh: The only difference is the misunderstanding that this non-absorbed light travels in this wavelength/frequency until it strikes another object.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You ignored the question again.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time
I already answered this. The photons would be at the eye when the Sun is just turned on at noon if there was a strong ignition. If it was ignited but grew in size, then we would not see it instantly. Lessans was trying to make a distinction between seeing the sun according to the requirements of efferent vision, and seeing the Sun only after the photons traveled for 8 minutes and reached Earth.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
If it meets these requirements, we will be in optical range. The farther the object is, the less photons will be at the retina. The closer, more photons will be at the retina. Same exact thing as afferent vision except that there is no time involved because the non-absorbed photons are not traveling through space/time. Only the full spectrum is traveling through space/time.
You seem to be describing some kind of bubble of non-absorbed photons surrounding the object and not traveling, just sitting there like an atmosphere around the object, and when you enter this "atmosphere" you can see the object and if you are not in the bubble there is only white light outside of it and you can't see what is in the bubble.

Is that an accurate description of what you think is the case?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
What do you mean "where did the photons come from"? They came from the Sun. If I see an object, that MEANS the photons (or the mirror image which does not mean photons in two places at the same time) are already at the retina because there's no time lapse.

YES

Thank you for finally answering my questions. You are now saying that at 12:00 when the newly ignited Sun is first ignited, there will be photons present at the retina on Earth which came from the Sun, and were located at the Sun at the exact same time of 12:00. That means you have these photons at two places at once. At 12:00 they are located both at the retina and at the Sun. That is what you have just told me. Yet this directly contradicts your above claim that photons will not be in two places at the same time. Can you resolve this contradiction?
LadyShea (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

YES

You are back to photons being two places at once. On the Sun and on the retina both at noon.

Those are two different locations no matter what direction we see.
No, they are not the same photons. They are traveling, but as they strike the object some get absorbed and some don't. So I don't know where you are imagining that I am saying that the photons are in two different places at the same time. What allows the mirror image to occur is the fact that when we look out at the world, we see the object as the photons are in motion. We are not waiting for the photons to travel and strike the retina.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
the non-absorbed photons are not traveling through space/time
BTW, non traveling light = very different property of light. You contradicted yourself again.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy