Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 AM
moonbat!

Default Re: Censorship by mob rule

I use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says that my serial commas are just fine. :hmph:

Nice to know that my posts are up to snuff, otherwise. :hyper:
Thanks, from:
democracy (08-06-2011)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Well, well, it looks like Little Miss Angakuk is the teacher's pet. Frickin' apple polisher.

Just you wait, Ang. Me and the rest of the grammatically challenged are gonna kick your ass after school.
Bring it on dude. Bring it on! I'll tell you right now that I have been worked over by people who were much more ignorant than you can ever hope to be.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Fishy mokey

But not quite as adept at ass kicking!

Hah!

HAH! I say!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by democracy View Post
Any of you who have read the original discussion multiple times may have noticed one obvious problem: Grammar.
For this installment I will try on the "Grammarian's Hat" and see what's what.
Ah, so that's the problem. The hat doesn't fit. Try pulling the brim upward. Then you might see more clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democracy
I have been writing and proofing the Grammarrians Report since January 1, (3 months).
I sincerely hope you didn't spend much of that time on this introduction. You should never put a comma directly before a parenthesis.

Quote:
I used various online dictionaries to check spelling.
But not your own, apparently, Mr. GrammaRRian.

Quote:
You may even find mistakes of my own in this report, that is likely. We all make mistakes. Please do not come flinging them back into my face.
You asked politely enough, but because your grammatical assessment of others is so egregiously faulty, I feel obliged to point out a few of your own errors. Such as your use of a comma rather than a semicolon in your first sentence, above.

Quote:
Quote:
certain types of threads/posts creates an environment
I don't know about this. You may be right but it sure sounds wrong. We don't have that kind of usage in English. Even though "types" and "threads/posts" are in the plural, we don't always put the verb in the plural if the noun is plural. I don't know if there is a solid grammatical rule or if it is only customary. Maybe another member can help here?
:hero: Of course there's a solid grammatical rule regarding verb-subject agreement. However, you have quoted only a fragment of the original sentence, so it's impossible to tell from this excerpt whether you've even captured the subject. My guess is that you haven't.

Quote:
Quote:
Furthermore, a series of "me too" and "yeah!" posts supporting such generalizations only make things worse.
What about this? "Make" or "makes"? Plural or singular? You can squeeze by with this usage. I don't see a big problem with it. Most people will not notice this. I certainly wouldn't but for the fact that I am wearing the "Grammarians Hat" for this moment. I am asking the group if anyone knows. If it is a misusage it is slight.
Now, this is just sad. The subject of the sentence is "series," not the plural noun "posts," which is part of the prepositional phrase that modifies the subject. I appreciate that you admitted you didn't know the rule, but this sort of grammatical confusion is pervasive in your entire report. Have you ever heard the following riddle?

What do you need to teach an old dog new tricks?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
I spent a couple years on message boards with heavy moderation
Correction: "couple of years"
Sigh. It's an idiomatic usage, perhaps technically incorrect, but entirely within the realm of acceptable and perfectly understandable usage.

Quote:
"to respond, in kind, to anything" requires an extra comma.
No, "to respond in kind" is a verb phrase with an adverbial component. It should be treated as a single verb phrase in this context.

Quote:
I am inclined to think that your parenthetical statements should be enclosed with parentheses.
That's a stylistic choice, not a grammatical concern. I often use appositives rather than parentheses for "parenthetical" statements, because I like it when my parentheticals can peer over the commas to see what they're commenting upon. The parentheses are too high for the shorter letters to see over.

Quote:
Quote:
I have my own rules of engagement, and believe it or not, I do exercise restraint.
The first comma is misplaced. It should come after the word "and" since the "and" is needed to carry us over the parentheses and connect us to the word "I". You could then get away with using commas instead of parentheses.
Hogwash. The "and" connects two independent clauses, making the comma before it appropriate. Your variation works as well, but is not required.

Quote:
Most of your commas do not degrade the sense. I can understand you but you tend to be slightly on the sloppy side. I wonder if it isn't because you are hurrying your posting in this thread? You seem to be very intelligent and probably a master of the language.
I appreciate the compliment. I have studied English grammar so intensively, in fact, that I am capable of confusing anyone. However, I believe your lack of understanding of stylistic variations is what leads you to deem my posting style "sloppy."

Quote:
Quote:
However, my rules obviously differ from others'
The possessive is "other's". The apostrophe is misplaced.
Wrong. I was using a plural possessive. You have heard of such a thing, I hope?

Quote:
Quote:
I realize our disagreement is one of fundamental principle, and I wouldn't ask you to change your principles. But you seem to be arguing a principle of treating everyone with respect and courtesy regardless of how they behave, whereas my principle is more along the lines of, "I favor the just and curse the rotten." Those principles are in conflict, but I strive to be as consistent with my principles as you do with yours. Thus I bristle a bit at the suggestion that to be courteous is an exercise in integrity, whereas acting otherwise is not.
ETA: For example, I treat you with courtesy and respect because you deserve it, maddog.
Sock Puppet, I feel that you lend a conversational tone to your online thoughts through the use of commas. For the most part I would excuse you on those grounds. I mean, it is the Internet. But I think you do stretch it a bit here:

Quote:
whereas my principle is more along the lines of, "I favor the just and curse the rotten."
Is it necessary to use a comma and quotations? I seem to vaguely recall the rule and think you might be correct.
Yes, I am correct (as usual).

Quote:
Your structure is good for the most part. But what about these next 2 sentences?:

Quote:
Those principles are in conflict, but I strive to be as consistent with my principles as you do with yours.
I am sure that the comma is not needed.

Here too:
Quote:
Thus I bristle a bit at the suggestion that to be courteous is an exercise in integrity, whereas acting otherwise is not.
Connective words used with with [sic] commas? I have a doubt about this usage.
Again, perhaps you should consult a style manual, or take a course somewhere. Your doubts are completely unfounded.

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't call my principle a "Rusty Iron Rule," as that does not take into account the kindness I extend to the deserving. Perhaps I'd call it a Velvet and Brass Knuckles Rule.
Sock Puppet makes a nice play on words and I like this way of introducing a humorous touch. You are spicing the exposition without threatening it. :thumbsup:
Thank you. I’m all about the spicing, and am only occasionally threatening.

Quote:
This post is also free of any errors. :thumbsup:

Oops! I was wrong. This post is not free of any errors. The comma is placed before the quotation mark rather than after it.
Actually, you were right the first time. The little punctuation marks (commas and periods) always go before the unquote, whether they are part of the quoted passage or not. The larger punctuation marks (question marks, colons, etc.) go before the unquote if they are part of the quoted passage and after it if they are extraneous to the quote.

Quote:
Quote:
I am fairly sure that the "Golden Rule" has started many wars around the globe. Because what one culture thinks is very acceptable is the contrary to another.
Here I use a period with a connective and I want to tell myself that it's OK because it feels right to me. Now I wonder if that usage annoys anyone else because technically it is incorrect?
I think you’re the only one here who has a problem with conversational variations on standard usage.

Quote:
Quote:
since the points raised in rest of your post have already been completely hashed out on this thread.
There are no less than 3 errors in this post. I think it should be "since the points raised in the rest of your posts have already been completely hashed out in this thread".
No, there’s just one error: the omission of "the." I was referring to the points you raised in ONE post, not all of them. As for "in" vs. "on," it depends on the way one views the text – the text is written on the thread, as well as in it.

Quote:
This is actually kind of ironic. Sock Puppet is telling me to read the thread. And s/he is correct. I hadn't read the thread. Do you know how I entered the discussion? I said to myself "Oh good, I know all about this. So I skimmed over a few pages to "double check" and then began posting.
After 5 readings I noticed the error here. This post is the perfect example of spellchecking without proofreading. We need to read our own posts. Really read them to make sure that they say what we mean. And I'm not just getting up on a soapbox to get even with Sock Puppet for reminding me to read in the previous post. The reminder is appropriate. I give you a thumbs up for that: :thumbsup:
Actually, I never spellcheck. In addition, sentences tend to spring from my keyboard Athena-like, i.e., fully formed. As a former proofreader, I rarely make errors. When I do, they tend to be single word omissions, like the one you found above.

At any rate, thanks for the thumbs up; however, I would prefer that you actually follow the advice rather than merely voice your approval of it. You still have not demonstrated the slightest understanding of the content of this discussion. Given how poor you are at correcting grammar, perhaps you should give reading comprehension a whirl. You might find you have a talent for it if you ever actually attempt it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet bear View Post
Oh, and maddog said asshat.
We have a future Grammarian in the house! :thumbsup:
I realize you’re just trying to be cute here, but it’s utterly ridiculous for you to assess someone’s potential for becoming something at which you have failed miserably.

In conclusion, please don’t take my harsh words too personally. I’m just feeling a bit slighted that you gave such kudos to other posters’ use of grandiloquent expressions, yet gave me no props whatsoever for either “What the furry, flying fuck” or “mad as a golind at rutting time.” I should’ve gotten at least half a gold star for each of those.

:sockpuppet:...........

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 04-04-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: changed "parenthetical" to "parenthesis" to avoid compounding demo's confusion.
Thanks, from:
democracy (04-06-2007)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Tellifying

Oh, why the hell not. Sock's post was infinitely more entertaining and infinitely shorter than democracy's.

Take a whole bunch of stars, man!

:seestars:
Old 04-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Distinguished Guest

Excellent! We have another Grammarian in the house.

We will need someone to assess the punctuation, spelling and usage of pages 6-10 (most of which is my own posting and even worse because it came before I had this experience of evaluating the grammar for this thread and thereby improving my own). You also may want to add a Proofreader for the final report.

You may want to wait until I have produced the report on Rhetoric and Logic. If anyone would like to join the Evaluation Team, I could use the help.

And whoever does the Grammar for pages 6-10, I suggest that you make a Grammar Team and split the duties up between Punctuation, Spelling and Usage. This will offer a responsibility to each of three members. You can give punctuation to a newcomer. This responsibility will be the opportunity for each member of the Evaluation Team to verify that they have read, what they have read and how they have read it.

This will take the extraneous posters out of the main discussion, place them in a significant responsibility and allow us to focus upon the main presenters.

27 posters is way over the top!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Tellifying

:lolwat:

Well, I have to admit that I didn't see that one coming.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Or alternatively, we could sort of, y'know, actually discuss something.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Tellifying

I can't even remember what we were discussing in the first place.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:unwhat:

Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Distinguished Guest

I have read the original discussion (pages 1-5) 7 times. The Grammar Report made me do it. The great thing is that I became very familiar with the sense that is being conveyed through a careful inspection of the grammar. I am going to continue with the evaluation of the Rhetoric and Logic of pages 1-5.

The outline I used for the Grammar was Punctuation, Spelling, Usage and Awards. I did them in that order though I meshed them in the report.

Here is a possible outline for Rhetoric:
Modes of Speech: Deliberative Forensic Epideictic
Modes of Speech: Expository Narrative Dramatic
Figures of Speech
Discussion Leader
Overall Form

I've begun the work on each of the above items. If anyone has a clue about how to approach the logic, please contact me.

To insure objectivity, volunteers for Evaluator roles should not be main posters in the original discussion. Evaluators will need to read pages 1-5 approximately 5 times.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
I think it was something about censorship by mobs.

It looks as though we've carried the thread on to "censorship by clueless niggling prigs."

Does anybody else get the feeling that the best part of this thread is not democracy?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Quote:
I think it was something about censorship by mobs.

It looks as though we've carried the thread on to "censorship by clueless niggling prigs."

Does anybody else get the feeling that the best part of this thread is not democracy?
Democracy is certainly the most creative troll I have ever seen :giggle: :popcorn:
democracy (08-06-2011)
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 AM
ŧiggermonkey

I don't think that democracy is a troll. I do think he's being sincere.
democracy (08-06-2011)
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

I believe he is sincere. Misguided, but sincere.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Done

I don't think he is sincere and definitely guided. Definitely.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Please forgive me if I awake this sleeping beauty of a thread.

Clutch Munny said
Put me down as one who finds that dogpiles tend to result from insulting posts …
I think we need to be careful how we distinguish between insults and criticism if we are to prevent this becoming a way of justifying mob suppression of all criticism of the mob.

Mick
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Uthgar the Brazen

:homer:
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Sock Puppet said;
Generally, most cases of so-called dogpiling have involved outrageous statements, or at very least, posts that were actively antagonistic to begin with.
I think we must take care to distinguish between antagonism and criticism if we are to avoid justifying mob suppression of all criticism of the mob.
democracy (08-06-2011)
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Sock Puppet said;
Generally, most cases of so-called dogpiling have involved outrageous statements, or at very least, posts that were actively antagonistic to begin with.
I think we must take care to distinguish between antagonism and criticism if we are to avoid justifying mob suppression of all criticism of the mob.
This, along with your previous post, suggests that you think it is possible, on an internet discussion board, to censor by mob rule. Am I reading you correctly?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM
you're next

oops
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Sock Puppet said;
Thanks for quoting this, Ang; I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I think we must also take care to distinguish between criticism and disingenuous, greased-weasel horseshit if we are to avoid justifying that which mick emits as "criticism of the mob."

This thread just keeps on giving. I love it to pieces.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks Angakuk

… you think it is possible, on an internet discussion board, to censor by mob rule.
No, I wouldn't call it censorship, but I do think the mob suppresses unpopular ideas and opinions.

Mick
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Which definition of suppress would you say is the closest to your meaning, mick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
1 : to put down by authority or force : SUBDUE
2 : to keep from public knowledge: as a : to keep secret b : to stop or prohibit the publication or revelation of
3 a : to exclude from consciousness b : to keep from giving vent to : CHECK
4 obsolete : to press down
5 a : to restrain from a usual course or action b : to inhibit the growth or development of
6 : to inhibit the genetic expression of
Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Help! Help! I'm bein' suppressed!

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium