I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
But I will bump it for you anyway, highlighting the most important section.
Get off your high horse Spacemonkey. You are not the god of deciding what is important.
You can lead my horse to pudding, but you can't make me get off it, because over that I have mathematical control. Future testing will prove me right. This is not about faith. You just have to accept everything I say until the evidence is available to support me. Who are you to decide for everybody who is or is not a God of deciding what is important? How many times do I have to say this?
I believe Angakuk is in a particularly good profession to decide who is or who is not God of anything, and he has the math book to prove it. One of the chapters is even titled "Numbers".
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I'm sorry that you are skeptical to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he is right.
I'm not. I can easily entertain the thought that he could be right. Unfortunately you have offered no reason at all to consider such thoughts to be correct. I am sorry you are dogmatic to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he was wrong.
There's one problem with this statement. I'm not being dogmatic.

dog·mat·ic (dôg-mtk, dg-)
adj.
1. Relating to, characteristic of, or resulting from dogma.
2. Characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion of unproved or unprovable principles

dogmatic - definition of dogmatic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Truth #1: Justification is necessary for human beings to gain at another's expense, and if the justification isn't there, they cannot do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Labeling it a truth does not make it one. I've asked you several times to support this alleged truth, and you've had nothing at all to offer.
I have, but it will never satisfy you or make you curious to learn more, or want to wait until more empirical evidence comes in to support his claims. These claims are falsifiable you know. You would rather go back to your comfort zone of compatibilism even if it is contradictory. It really is. The blameworthiness they attribute to certain actions is saying that someone' choice, other than the type of compulsion that gets an exception, is free and therefore deserving of blame and punishment. What they are saying is that he didn't have to do what he did because he could have chosen otherwise; nothing was stopping him from making the correct choice. That is the standard definition. All compatibilists are doing is excluding one type of behavior. This type of free will which they believe is deserving of blame does not mix with determinism (they are mutually exclusive positions) no matter how you frame the wording. Why would you give up on knowledge of this import if there was the slightest possibility that he was right? It's not like he's making a wild assertion and not backing it up by a detailed demonstration (even though it's not to your satisfaction). :glare:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:

adj.
2. Characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion of unproved or unprovable principles

dogmatic - definition of dogmatic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Truth #1: Justification is necessary for human beings to gain at another's expense, and if the justification isn't there, they cannot do it.
LOL! Your "Truth #1" looks like it might have been an example in the dictionary definition you just posted. What do you mean you're not dogmatic?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012), But (11-25-2012), Spacemonkey (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
What they are saying is that he didn't have to do what he did because he could have chosen otherwise; nothing was stopping him from making the correct choice.
Do and did are actions. A whole hell of a lot can go on in the mind before any action is performed.

Can one choose not to immediately act on a conscious decision, in order to contemplate or gather information, thereby changing the antecedent conditions, and then choose to perform a different action?

Can one consider an array of possible actions, weighing the possible consequences, comparing the actions and consequences to their personal values, morals, and beliefs and then only performing the action that seems "right"?

In my opinion all that is required for one to be considered a moral agent responsible for his/her actions is this ability to weigh, measure, and contemplate before acting...to choose different actions in one's imagination first...even if Lessans was right and the final decision rests on which of those imagined action>consequences sequences seems the most satisfactory. Someone without this ability to to weigh, measure, and contemplate before acting cannot be held responsible for their actions.

I do not call this free will, because all of this is caused, however the antecedent conditions can be consciously changed in myriad ways merely by thinking before acting.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

What is your response to this excellent post, peacegirl? It would be a shame if you had accidentally missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
An important non sequitur in Lessans "logic" leading to freeing the world of all evil:
"In order to hurt another, man must be able to derive some satisfaction from this,"(p78)

Wrong. Much of the hurt that is done to others is with complete ignorance that anyone in the world has feelings of importance. I'm not sure what Lessans did in his relationships with others but he seems to think that everyone who hurt him had taken the time to think about it first. His solution relies upon that. In reality, many assholes are completely oblivious to the concept that pursuing their ambitions is a)hurting anyone b)happening in a world in which other people even have feelings. There is the occasional person who acts maliciously because they get joy from seeing someone else turn red with rage but that is the minority of injustice.

Where do you think the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes from? People simply don't realize the harm they cause more often than not. In making that mistake Lessans has failed to even recognize the source of evil let alone provide any hints at its successful removal.
Let me guess. It goes like this:

Seemore: All swans are black.

Interlocutor: Actually, most of them are white.

peacegirl: Some of them are white, but this is really insignificant. The fact that some swans have this rare genetic disease doesn't mean all swans are white. This is ridiculous.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Get off your high horse Spacemonkey. You are not the god of deciding what is important.
You can lead my horse to pudding, but you can't make me get off it, because over that I have mathematical control. Future testing will prove me right. This is not about faith. You just have to accept everything I say until the evidence is available to support me. Who are you to decide for everybody who is or is not a God of deciding what is important? How many times do I have to say this?
I believe Angakuk is in a particularly good profession to decide who is or who is not God of anything, and he has the math book to prove it. One of the chapters is even titled "Numbers".
What are you talking about But? I don't get a shot at explaining this discovery because Lessans said the laws of our nature are God, and that Angakuk, because he is in the religous profession, gets to decide this? You are so out the door it amazes me that you don't see what you're saying. It's okay, you're not the only one. It's a common theme when people use one's stature to decide truth.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
What is your response to this excellent post, peacegirl? It would be a shame if you had accidentally missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
An important non sequitur in Lessans "logic" leading to freeing the world of all evil:
"In order to hurt another, man must be able to derive some satisfaction from this,"(p78)

Wrong. Much of the hurt that is done to others is with complete ignorance that anyone in the world has feelings of importance. I'm not sure what Lessans did in his relationships with others but he seems to think that everyone who hurt him had taken the time to think about it first. His solution relies upon that. In reality, many assholes are completely oblivious to the concept that pursuing their ambitions is a)hurting anyone b)happening in a world in which other people even have feelings. There is the occasional person who acts maliciously because they get joy from seeing someone else turn red with rage but that is the minority of injustice.

Where do you think the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes from? People simply don't realize the harm they cause more often than not. In making that mistake Lessans has failed to even recognize the source of evil let alone provide any hints at its successful removal.
Let me guess. It goes like this:

Seemore: All swans are black.

Interlocutor: Actually, most of them are white.

peacegirl: Some of them are white, but this is really insignificant. The fact that some swans have this rare genetic disease doesn't mean all swans are white. This is ridiculous.
We're too far gone in this discussion to go back to this elementary syllogism. And after all this time you couldn't even spell Lessans' name right? What's with you But?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

My But is fine.

Also, why do you call your dad "See-More" by his last name? That's unusual.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
My But is fine.

She thinks she is showing objectivity by separating Seymour Lessans, the author of the book, from Daddy
Thanks, from:
But (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

adj.
This is a very accurate definition of what Lessans and Peacegirl have said in the book and this thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:

adj.

Quote:
LOL! Your "Truth #1" looks like it might have been an example in the dictionary definition you just posted. What do you mean you're not dogmatic?
You know very well what I mean. This is not an arrogant assertion or an unprovable principle.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My But is fine.

She thinks she is showing objectivity by separating Seymour Lessans, the author of the book, from Daddy
Can't you see that LadyShea cannot separate the fact that he was my father from Lessans, the author? She thought that by scouring the internet to find out this revealing secret, that she was doing everyone a favor. Well she was not, and she is still using the fact that he was my father against me. And this is being objective?

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What they are saying is that he didn't have to do what he did because he could have chosen otherwise; nothing was stopping him from making the correct choice.
Do and did are actions. A whole hell of a lot can go on in the mind before any action is performed.

Can one choose not to immediately act on a conscious decision, in order to contemplate or gather information, thereby changing the antecedent conditions, and then choose to perform a different action?
Only if he has had enough experience in his life to know that collecting more information (if it's available) is a smart thing to do. Even so, you cannot blame someone if he only has a limited amount of information at his disposal and acts on that limited knowledge. Many times we learn from our experiences, and our mistakes teach us not to make rash decisions and to be more patient. But this doesn't change the fact that regardless of our options, or what we believe our options are, we base our decision on those options in the direction of greater satisfaction. Some people are extremely limited in options and have to base their choices on what is available at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Can one consider an array of possible actions, weighing the possible consequences, comparing the actions and consequences to their personal values, morals, and beliefs and then only performing the action that seems "right"?

In my opinion all that is required for one to be considered a moral agent responsible for his/her actions is this ability to weigh, measure, and contemplate before acting...to choose different actions in one's imagination first...even if Lessans was right and the final decision rests on which of those imagined action>consequences sequences seems the most satisfactory. Someone without this ability to to weigh, measure, and contemplate before acting cannot be held responsible for their actions.

I do not call this free will, because all of this is caused, however the antecedent conditions can be consciously changed in myriad ways merely by thinking before acting.
Of course it can be changed in myriad ways as long as one is still contemplating, but after the choice has been weighed, considered, analyzed, and chosen, it could not have been otherwise. What if someone weighs, measures, contemplates and ponders in his imagination first, and then chooses something that is good for him (such as stealing food from someone because he was hungry), but bad in the eyes of the law? Then what? Of course he is responsible for his actions because he performed the action, but to say he is morally responsible because he chose something that was wrong, and that he could have made a different choice that was right, is a false assertion. How could he have made a better choice when this choice was good in comparison to not stealing, which was bad, according to his circumstances?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are you talking about But? I don't get a shot at explaining this discovery because Lessans said the laws of our nature are God, and that Angakuk, because he is in the religous profession, gets to decide this? You are so out the door it amazes me that you don't see what you're saying. It's okay, you're not the only one. It's a common theme when people use one's stature to decide truth.

That whole exchange was meant as a joke, and But wasn't even involved in it.

Chill out, dude. You seem unable to even remotely comprehend what you read these days.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012), But (11-25-2012), Spacemonkey (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

adj.

Quote:
You know very well what I mean. This is not an arrogant assertion or an unprovable principle.
It is unproved, it is an assertion, and deeming it a "truth" is very arrogant.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012), Spacemonkey (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My But is fine.

Can't you see that LadyShea cannot separate the fact that he was my father from Lessans, the author? She thought that by scouring the internet to find out this revealing secret, that she was doing everyone a favor. Well she was not, and she is still using the fact that he was my father against me. And this is being objective?
The question was why do you refer to him as Lessans instead of "My father" or "My Dad"? You are the one that creates a separation in this way, and your purpose in doing that is to try to demonstrate your objectivity, correct?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Reality Adventurer

I think that peacegirl calls her dad Lessans to lend him more gravitas than he would have if he were just daddy. As crazy as peacegirl is, even she is not delusional enough to think that Lessans is respected by or even known by the rest of the world. Even though she is aware of this, she lacks the rational ability to understand that spending her time at FF will not improve Lessans exposure to the world much.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Only if he has had enough experience in his life to know that collecting more information (if it's available) is a smart thing to do.
The why and how and extent of it is irrelevant to the question.

Can someone refrain from acting on their first impulse or immediate impression or not?

Quote:
Even so, you cannot blame someone if he only has a limited amount of information at his disposal and acts on that limited knowledge.
The quantity and quality of information available can be a mitigating or aggravating factor in deciding to what level they are responsible for an action.

Again, the question is can someone refrain from acting on their first impulse or immediate impression or not? If so, they are responsible for the action, as they had the ability to have chosen a different action.

Quote:
Many times we learn from our experiences, and our mistakes teach us not to make rash decisions and to be more patient. But this doesn't change the fact that regardless of our options, or what we believe our options are, we base our decision on those options in the direction of greater satisfaction. Some people are extremely limited in options and have to base their choices on what is available at the moment.
So what? Do they or do they not have the capability of contemplating actions before performing them?

Quote:

Quote:
Of course it can be changed in myriad ways as long as one is still contemplating, but after the choice has been weighed, considered, analyzed, and chosen, it could not have been otherwise.
Yes, once an action has been performed, it cannot be unperformed, it becomes an actual truth that a specific action was performed.

Quote:
What if someone weighs, measures, contemplates and ponders in his imagination first, and then chooses something that is good for him (such as stealing food from someone because he was hungry), but bad in the eyes of the law? Then what?
He knew it was against the law, and did it anyway because he found the possible consequence of being held accountable by the authorities acceptable when weighing all the possible scenarios, and he is responsible for taking that action.

Quote:
Of course he is responsible for his actions because he performed the action, but to say he is morally responsible because he chose something that was wrong, and that he could have made a different choice that was right, is a false assertion.
I said nothing about judging an action right or wrong, I only discussed one being responsible for their actions because they could have not acted, or performed a different action after contemplating the factors.

Judging what is right or wrong for others is very subjective, based on the values system of the person making the judgment.

Quote:
How could he have made a better choice when this choice was good in comparison to not stealing, which was bad, according to his circumstances?
I said nothing about good or bad, I said only responsible for his action. It's not about whether he could make a "better" choice (better is subjective), it's about if he could have performed a different action.

If the person knew what the law stated, and the possible consequences of breaking the law, and chose to break the law instead of choosing a different action, he/she is responsible for breaking the law.

Again, judging what is good or bad for others is very subjective, based on the values system of the person making the judgment.

Last edited by LadyShea; 11-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:

adj.

Oh, but you are, Peacegirl. Your behaviour fits this definition perfectly. You are constantly dogmatically asserting and repeating unproven claims and principles - often the very claims and principles you have been asked to support - such as that compatibilism is wrong and contradictory, that one cannot harm another without justification under Lessans' changed conditions, that conscience has a natural state of perfection it is only prevented from reaching by our environment of blame, and that your claims are falsifiable. You are dogmatic on all of these points. They are unproven, and you just keep on arrogantly asserting them over and over again.

Quote:
I have, but it will never satisfy you or make you curious to learn more, or want to wait until more empirical evidence comes in to support his claims. These claims are falsifiable you know. You would rather go back to your comfort zone of compatibilism even if it is contradictory. It really is.
There's that dogmatism again. And no, you haven't given me ANY reason to believe that a justification will always be required. The closest you came was in asserting that it was just obvious.

Quote:
The blameworthiness they attribute to certain actions is saying that someone' choice, other than the type of compulsion that gets an exception, is free and therefore deserving of blame and punishment. What they are saying is that he didn't have to do what he did because he could have chosen otherwise; nothing was stopping him from making the correct choice. That is the standard definition.
No, that is not what compatibilists are saying. The compatibilist definition of freedom is NOT the same as the contra-causal/libertarian definition (which seems to be what you keep wrongly referring to as the 'standard definition'). And you are again conflating the two different senses of 'could have chosen otherwise' - which I have specifically corrected you on, and which you have specifically ignored yet again.

Quote:
All compatibilists are doing is excluding one type of behavior. This type of free will which they believe is deserving of blame does not mix with determinism (they are mutually exclusive positions) no matter how you frame the wording.
You are clearly either lying, or have not been paying any attention at all to the discussion we've been having for the last several days. Only contra-causal freedom is incompatible with determinism. The compatibilist type of freedom which I have defined for you is PERFECTLY CONSISTENT with determinism - causal determination and compatibilist freedom are not at all mutually exclusive positions. You are again just dogmatically asserting the things you would like to be true, instead of actually engaging with the points I have made. I have specifically explained to you the compatibilist definition of freedom, how it differs from the contra-causal variety, and how it is not incompatible with causal determination. But you just ignore all of my explanations, and revert back to claiming things you know are not true.

Quote:
Why would you give up on knowledge of this import if there was the slightest possibility that he was right? It's not like he's making a wild assertion and not backing it up by a detailed demonstration (even though it's not to your satisfaction). :glare:
That's exactly what you and your father have done. You both make wild assertions that you cannot back up with detailed demonstrations. What happened yesterday? I bumped my last reply on compatibilism for you, noting that it was very long and highlighting the important bit for you. What did you do? You tried to answer the whole thing, only got halfway through, and never even got to the important bit. This is ridiculous.
Angakuk (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
It's not an excuse Spacemonkey, and if you don't like the way he came about this discovery, or you can't even accept the possibility that his observations and reasoning were spot on, then go research other claims that you feel have greater substantive potential.
Of course it's an excuse. It's exactly what you say every time you are asked to support something you are unable to support.

Quote:
Quote:
Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?
I wouldn't believe you because jumping to the moon is unreasonable. Developing a stronger conscience is not.
I know you believe that. My question was why? Why do you believe that conscience has this innate level of potential perfection it would reach in the absence of blame? So far this is just a big fat assumption which neither you or Lessans have done anything to support.

Quote:
He demonstrates his observations regarding conscience in detail even though he didn't write the data down, and describes exactly why conscience does not work at full throttle in a free will environment, and why a no blame environment causes conscience to work more efficiently. Again, he is not saying to suddenly stop blaming, because this could make matters worse. He is trying to show you where a "no blame" environment will lead once determinism is established as a scientific fact.
You still aren't answering the question. What makes you think there is any natural full throttle state for conscience to reach? Consider again the jumping analogy. We have no natural full-throttle state for jumping that social practices prevent us from reaching. Our natural jumping ability is no greater than our past evolutionary circumstances have required it to be. Why is it not the same with conscience?

Quote:
Quote:
I'm asking you why you think a justification would always be necessary under those changed conditions.
And I've answered you. This was an inference that he made after years of careful observation. He didn't write the data down, but the data was in his head and it was significant. These conclusions did not come from a couple of samplings. It was a process of years and years of reading and analyzing which led him to seeing what kind of justifications people use in order to clear their conscience of any responsibility. Yes, there are mentally ill people whose consciences seems to have been severed due to childhood trauma, in which case they may kill without any apparent justification, but these extreme cases are rare and will disappear completely in time.
Sorry, but this is not answering me at all. Telling me he carefully observed things after years of reading and analyzing doesn't tell me jack shit about why a justification is allegedly always necessary. Nor does it help for you to repeatedly assert that the only exceptions are extreme cases of mental illness.

Quote:
Quote:
I most certainly can. It is perfectly fair and reasonable for me to ask why Lessans never anticipated that the complete absence of any support for his fundamental premises regarding conscience would lead to so many people failing to be convinced of or impressed by his argument. If he was as perceptive and insightful as you claim, then he should have anticipated such an obvious problem. Anyone who has voraciously read and studied history and human behavior should have known that rational people will have a problem with claims that lack any supporting evidence.
I am going to repeat one last time that he didn't plan on making a discovery. It happened after years of reading and studying. He was very insightful and perceptive which allowed these truths to be revealed to him even though he didn't plan on making a discovery through the scientific method. That does not mean that his discovery is unscientific. Once this discovery is confirmed valid, how he uncovered this discovery will be less important than the fact that he did, and for you to condemn him even while making a major discovery is unfair and undeserving.
Yet again, your response does not address the point. Why did he not anticipate such an obvious problem? Why did he not anticipate the need for him to provide evidential support for his own claims about conscience? And I'm afraid not using the scientific method certainly does make his non-discovery unscientific. If you don't use the scientific method then you are not doing science.
Bump.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly thedoc. Lessans also seemed to think that eliminating words would somehow eliminate the concepts those words represent.

It's not like someone simply decided one day to make up a concept that does not have a associated existence in reality, and assign a word to it.

Beautiful describes a subjective set of feelings...those feelings exist whether the word beautiful exists or doesn't.
That is exactly what has happened LadyShea. There is no corresponding accuracy that these words represent
The concept of aesthetically pleasing is real. The concept that any individual will find various examples of things more or less aesthetically pleasing when compared to each other is real. Beautiful is simply a descriptor used to denote that the individual finds something highly aesthetically pleasing compared to other examples.

What was it you were fond of saying about your continued use of the phrase "traveling images"? A Shortcut.

The word beautiful is a shortcut to describing a real concept.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, so all of us are totally abnormal in the degree to which personality influences our relationships?
It's not abnormal given the environment we have all been brought up in. It's no surprise that people find men or women who have certain talents as sexy.
Again, talents is just one aspect of personality. People fall in love with people, not just their bodies, not just a single talent...a whole person, with sex organs, AND lots of aspects and thoughts and opinions and traits.
People can love other people for many different reasons and be enamoured, but marriage is a separate issue that is related to procreation and sexual desire in order to achieve that end. You cannot tell me that marriage and sex are unrelated, or just a peripheral aspect.
It is not a separate issue. Marriage and sex may or may not be related, depending on the people in the marriage.

Quote:
Quote:
You missed his whole point. It is correct to say that no matter what turns someone on, sex becomes central if romantic love is what a person is looking for.
Quote:
It's not correct to say that, if you are applying it to all people. Sex may be central, or may be periphery...a wonderful bonus if you will.
Quote:
No LadyShea, sex is not a wonderful bonus. It is of major importance in all species because sex is what brings new life. You cannot tell me in all honesty that this is just icing on the cake.
It is icing on the cake for some people. It is central to other people. It exists on a large scale of importance and any individual or couple may fall anywhere on that scale.

Quote:
Quote:
By definition, that's what romantic (erotic) love is.
Quote:
By who's definition? Why do you think erotic and romantic are synonyms?
Quote:
That's why I clarified "romantic". It is the eros kind of love that involves sexual desire.
Romantic and erotic are not synonyms.

Quote:
Love is simply a deep affection (caring and tenderness). That may or may not include an erotic component and may or may not include a romantic element. (Romance comes from a type of story involving chivalry and heroism and mystery elements and is tied to those traits)
Quote:
Mystery elements? I think you're reading too many Harlequin novels.
You do not know the definition or origin of the word Romance/Romantic apparently

Click this link for a discussion of the word's origin- The Mavens' Word of the Day
Definition of ROMANTIC
: consisting of or resembling a romance
: having no basis in fact : imaginary
: impractical in conception or plan : visionary
a : marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized
b often capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of romanticism
c : of or relating to music of the 19th century characterized by an emphasis on subjective emotional qualities and freedom of form; also : of or relating to a composer of this music
a : having an inclination for romance : responsive to the appeal of what is idealized, heroic, or adventurous
b : marked by expressions of love or affection
c : conducive to or suitable for lovemaking
: of, relating to, or constituting the part of the hero especially in a light comedy
Quote:
Love is a deep affection, that is true. I love my family more than anything in this world. I love my animals and my friends very much also, but I'm talking about male/female love, or homosexual love that brings two people together because you connect on a sexual level as well as other levels.
Sexual attraction may or may not accompany love.

If it does accompany deep affection, then sexual attraction is absolutely not the only meaning of love and marriage as Lessans repeatedly asserted.

Quote:
Quote:
Neither you nor Lessans get to define other people's feelings or how they are prioritized in their own lives and relationships.
Quote:
Lessans made an accurate observation. I am not prioritizing people's relationships but if you look carefully you will see that what draws two people together for the purpose of marriage is not personality alone. It's sexual attraction.
It is not sexual attraction alone, as Lessans asserted, either.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012), Spacemonkey (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chill out, dude. You seem unable to even remotely comprehend what you read these days.
How can I take anything as a joke in here?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, so all of us are totally abnormal in the degree to which personality influences our relationships?
Quote:
It's not abnormal given the environment we have all been brought up in. It's no surprise that people find men or women who have certain talents as sexy.
Quote:
Again, talents is just one aspect of personality. People fall in love with people, not just their bodies, not just a single talent...a whole person, with sex organs, AND lots of aspects and thoughts and opinions and traits.
Yes, people fall in love with people, but in the new world a person will grow to love their partner after marriage, not before, as long as this aspect of their relationship remains strong. I'm talking about young love; people who never had a sexual relationship yet. If someone wants a person with a particular talent, they will look for that as well, but I will say again that without sexual attraction at its base, it's not a marriage in the way marriage is typically defined. Most people would not get married to a person without this attraction unless there was some kind of monetary benefit or other motive. In the new world, sex and marriage are one and the same.

Quote:
People can love other people for many different reasons and be enamoured, but marriage is a separate issue that is related to procreation and sexual desire in order to achieve that end. You cannot tell me that marriage and sex are unrelated, or just a peripheral aspect.
Quote:
It is not a separate issue. Marriage and sex may or may not be related, depending on the people in the marriage.
I have never heard of a true marriage being one that is not consummated.

Quote:
You missed his whole point. It is correct to say that no matter what turns someone on, sex becomes central if romantic love is what a person is looking for.
Quote:
It's not correct to say that, if you are applying it to all people. Sex may be central, or may be periphery...a wonderful bonus if you will.
Quote:
No LadyShea, sex is not a wonderful bonus. It is of major importance in all species because sex is what brings new life. You cannot tell me in all honesty that this is just icing on the cake.
Quote:
It is icing on the cake for some people. It is central to other people. It exists on a large scale of importance and any individual or couple may fall anywhere on that scale.
I never saw two young people excited to get married and have little sexual appeal for each other. If sex is not central to their relationship, that is not the kind of love most young people are looking for in marriage because they want to raise a family together, and that involves sex.

Quote:
By definition, that's what romantic (erotic) love is.
Quote:
By who's definition? Why do you think erotic and romantic are synonyms?
Quote:
That's why I clarified "romantic". It is the eros kind of love that involves sexual desire.
Quote:
Romantic and erotic are not synonyms.
Sexual desire is essential to romantic attraction and relationship

Sexual desire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Love is simply a deep affection (caring and tenderness). That may or may not include an erotic component and may or may not include a romantic element. (Romance comes from a type of story involving chivalry and heroism and mystery elements and is tied to those traits)
Quote:
Mystery elements? I think you're reading too many Harlequin novels.
Quote:
You do not know the definition or origin of the word Romance/Romantic apparently
In terms of a relationship, romance is the appetizer that leads up to the main entree.

Marriages that don’t maintain their sexual vitality are very much at risk. Plan together to protect and promote your sex life.

Married Sexuality - Marriage & Sex

Quote:
Click this link for a discussion of the word's origin- The Mavens' Word of the Day
Definition of ROMANTIC
: consisting of or resembling a romance
: having no basis in fact : imaginary
: impractical in conception or plan : visionary
a : marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized
b often capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of romanticism
c : of or relating to music of the 19th century characterized by an emphasis on subjective emotional qualities and freedom of form; also : of or relating to a composer of this music
a : having an inclination for romance : responsive to the appeal of what is idealized, heroic, or adventurous
b : marked by expressions of love or affection
c : conducive to or suitable for lovemaking
: of, relating to, or constituting the part of the hero especially in a light comedy
5c is the closest to how I'm using the word: conducive to or suitable for lovemaking

Quote:
Love is a deep affection, that is true. I love my family more than anything in this world. I love my animals and my friends very much also, but I'm talking about male/female love, or homosexual love that brings two people together because you connect on a sexual level as well as other levels.
Quote:
Sexual attraction may or may not accompany love.
In our society, that's true. You can have sex without love, but that does not change the fact that in order to be "in love", sexual desire plays a major role and you can't separate the two. I have never heard someone say how in love they are without the possibility of a sexual relationship, or being in a sexual relationship.

Quote:
If it does accompany deep affection, then sexual attraction is absolutely not the only meaning of love and marriage as Lessans repeatedly asserted.
You can have deep affection for someone, but if it's not romantic in the sense of a desire to possess someone in the ultimate act or to have the possibility of engaging in the ultimate act of lovemaking, then it's not the kind of love that Lessans was describing as being as important in an intimite relationship.
Quote:
Neither you nor Lessans get to define other people's feelings or how they are prioritized in their own lives and relationships.
Quote:
Lessans made an accurate observation. I am not prioritizing people's relationships but if you look carefully you will see that what draws two people together for the purpose of marriage is not personality alone. It's sexual attraction.
Quote:
It is not sexual attraction alone, as Lessans asserted, either.
If everyone has a good personality (I'm not sure how you define a good personality), this will not be the main criterion in finding a mate. It will be sexual attraction first and foremost because that will be the glue that keeps the marital bond healthy.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-25-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How can I take anything as a joke in here?
How can this thread, the book, and your posts, be taken as anything but a joke?

Those who don't 'get' the joke, soon become the 'butt' of it.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-26-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy