Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
If the photons don't have to travel to reach the retina, why would the distance between the retina and the object matter?
I never said photons don't travel. In fact, I said the exact opposite.
Did the light at the retina on Earth (composing the mirror image, and which is supposedly there before any light has arrived on Earth) travel to get there? Yes, or No?
You are trying to make it seem as if this violates physics. It does not.
Of course it does. Instantaneous causal interactions over any distance completely violates known physics, wrecking causality. Your description of how light behaves completely violates known physics, wrecking our understanding of how light (and by extension most of particle physics, cosmology and astronomy, etc.). You've been told this point repeatedly, and never defended yourself beyond mere assertion.
Noooooo Dragar, how clear can I get? This DOES NOT violate physics in any sense of the word.
Earlier I wrote:

"You've been told this point repeatedly, and never defended yourself beyond mere assertion."

I like how you've demonstrated this clearly to everyone.
Angakuk (11-15-2012), LadyShea (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Question 1.

If light is located on the retina, either impinging on it, or in the form of a mirror image, you must account for how the light came to be located there...what is the mechanism? How did it get there?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Question 1.

If light is located on the retina, either impinging on it, or in the form of a mirror image, you must account for how the light came to be located there...what is the mechanism? How did it get there?
It didn't get anywhere that physics did not allow. The difference, once again, is how the eyes work, which you are failing to understand. That is why you think there is a violation of physics, which there is not.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the photons don't have to travel to reach the retina, why would the distance between the retina and the object matter?
Did the light at the retina on Earth (composing the mirror image, and which is supposedly there before any light has arrived on Earth) travel to get there? Yes, or No?
Of course it does. Instantaneous causal interactions over any distance completely violates known physics, wrecking causality. Your description of how light behaves completely violates known physics, wrecking our understanding of how light (and by extension most of particle physics, cosmology and astronomy, etc.). You've been told this point repeatedly, and never defended yourself beyond mere assertion.
Noooooo Dragar, how clear can I get? This DOES NOT violate physics in any sense of the word.
Earlier I wrote:

"You've been told this point repeatedly, and never defended yourself beyond mere assertion."

I can only do what I can do Dragar. I am trying to show you that there is something wrong in the mistaken notion that light has to travel to Earth for the eyes to use that light in order to see said object. I can't help if you resist what I'm saying, or consider it a mere assertion. Why do you think I am asking people to delay their judgment and wait until further testing is done?

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Earlier I wrote:

I can only do what I can do Dragar. I am trying to show you that there is something wrong in the mistaken notion that light has to travel to Earth for the eyes to use that light in order to see said object. I can't help if you resist what I'm saying, or consider it a mere assertion. Why do you think I am asking people to delay their judgment and wait until further testing is done?
We consider it mere assertion because that's all it is. Assertion.

I think you're asking for delayed judgement because you know full well every shred of evidence we have says Lessans is wrong, and there's no reason to believe a word you say.

I think you are asking people to delay their judgement because you know you have no case, but have too much emotionally invested in this project of yours to show a shred of honesty and back down from your grandiose claims.
Angakuk (11-15-2012), But (11-16-2012), LadyShea (11-15-2012), Spacemonkey (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Now in six dimensions!

:dddp:
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Question 1.

It didn't get anywhere that physics did not allow. The difference, once again, is how the eyes work, which you are failing to understand. That is why you think there is a violation of physics, which there is not.
Hey peacegirl, the eyes work according to physics. The way you describe the eyes work is flat contradiction to physics.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Question 1.

Physics requires that the light either

1. Traveled to that location
2. Came into existence at that location (which requires light emitting processes)

There are no other mechanisms allowed by physics by which light comes to be at a specific physical location. Teleportation is also a possible mechanism, however that is not allowed by physics that I am aware of

How the eyes work does not have any effect on the mechanism involved in light coming to be located somewhere

Which of these mechanisms is at work in the efferent account?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Earlier I wrote:

We consider it mere assertion because that's all it is. Assertion.

I think you're asking for delayed judgement because you know full well every shred of evidence we have says Lessans is wrong, and there's no reason to believe a word you say.

I think you are asking people to delay their judgement because you know you have no case, but have too much emotionally invested in this project of yours to show a shred of honesty and back down from your grandiose claims.
People can do whatever they want. I would hope that they would delay judgment, but I can't force them to. No matter what people say; no matter how wrong they think he is, or how emotionally invested they think I am, I am not going to back down from these claims because I believe he was right. Time will be his vindicator.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
puzzler

It doesn't matter how you claim you see - whether it's by mirror images or light impinging or any other non-explanation. If you claim you can see distant objects as they are 'now', without the delay that is caused by the time it takes light to travel from that distant object to your eye, then your claim is counter to the theory of relativity.

Relativity states that there is NO WAY of gaining any information about distant objects in less time than light takes to travel from those objects - by claiming you can see distant objects more quickly than that, you destroy the theory of relativity.
Thanks, from:
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Question 1.

Physics requires that the light either

1. Traveled to that location
2. Came into existence at that location (which requires light emitting processes)

There are no other mechanisms allowed by physics by which light comes to be at a specific physical location. Teleportation is also a possible mechanism, however that is not allowed by physics that I am aware of

How the eyes work does not have any effect on the mechanism involved in light coming to be located somewhere

Which of these mechanisms is at work in the efferent account?
I'm trying to tell you that light is not required to travel to Earth for a mirror image to show up on the retina if the eyes are efferent. If the eyes are afferent, this wouldn't make sense because there would be nothing that allows this phenomenon to occur. For me to continue arguing with you is a waste of time. Do you think we're going to make progress? No, we're not. I don't know how to convince you or get you to see that efferent vision, which allows a mirror image to show up on the retina because this has more to do with the properties of the eye and brain than with light, does not violate the laws of physics. Light continues to travel at 186,000 miles per second.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It doesn't matter how you claim you see - whether it's by mirror images or light impinging or any other non-explanation. If you claim you can see distant objects as they are 'now', without the delay that is caused by the time it takes light to travel from that distant object to your eye, then your claim is counter to the theory of relativity.

Relativity states that there is NO WAY of gaining any information about distant objects in less time than light takes to travel from those objects - by claiming you can see distant objects more quickly than that, you destroy the theory of relativity.
I can only be concerned with Lessans claim. If it contradicts some other theory, then that needs to be reevaluated as well. To say Lessans is wrong because relativity is right, is not how science works. This has nothing to do with travel, because what is seen is instant. This is also not about seeing a distant object faster than the speed of light because that still involves time, and there is no time delay in efferent vision.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
To say Lessans is wrong because relativity is right, is not how science works.
This is, in effect, a lie. You have demonstrated over and over and over again that you have no idea at all how science works. So you're being disingenuous at best. (Hint: It's dishonest to pretend you understand something that you clearly do not.)

In any event, you're now back to arguing that Einstein was wrong. And more importantly, all the experiments over the past century verifying Relativity Theory are also wrong.

Which is weird, since the technologies which depend on Relativity Theory being correct actually work.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
You have demonstrated over and over and over again that you have no idea at all how science works.
Indeed. She thinks "scientific" is a synonym for "undeniable."

:catlady: = :larry:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012), The Lone Ranger (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
You have demonstrated over and over and over again that you have no idea at all how science works.

Indeed. "Undeniable" is almost exactly the opposite of what "scientific" means.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are trying to make it seem as if this violates physics. It does not. I'm not answering your question because you are not using the efferent account which does not require photons to travel to earth for a mirror image to be present at the retina. You are basing your reasoning on the afferent account, which will make the efferent account look wrong.
I am not basing my reasoning on the afferent account. That is a lie. I am simply trying to understand the efferent account, yet you keep refusing to help me. You say there is a mirror image composed of light at the retina. Either that light traveled to get there or it didn't. So which is it?
Angakuk (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The problem here is that there is a lack of understanding how this is physically possible in the efferent account.
Yes. The problem is YOUR lack of understanding of how this could be physically possible.

Quote:
The physical mechanism involves the eye's ability to see the physical world in real time.
That's an ability, not a mechanism.

Quote:
Light plays a completely different role if this claim is true (which I believe it is), but you're not seeing it because you don't understand how this mirror image is able to be created on the retina in this model.
You don't understand how this mirror image gets created on the retina either. Every time we ask you about it you weasel. Nor do you understand the role played by light in your account.

Quote:
You are still coming from the afferent point of view which doesn't involve the object at all.
Your favorite transparent weasel. Every time someone asks you an awkward question that you don't know how to answer, you just accuse them of coming from the afferent position. Someone points out how you've contradicted either physics or yourself? No problem! It's just because they are coming from the afferent position. Weasel weasel weasel! No problem here!

Quote:
An object being present in one's field of view creates the mechanism by which the eye can create a mirror image, regardless of how far away that object is.
And what is the mechanism thus created?

Quote:
You said this doesn't matter, but it does matter only if the brain is using the eyes as a window.
Seriously? You agreed the brain doesn't do this. We just went over at length why this analogy is hopelessly flawed.

There is no disagreement over the direction in which the brain-eye system looks - it looks outwards in whichever direction the eyes are pointing. But for us this 'looking outwards' is explained in terms of light and information traveling inwards. On your account it is not explained at all, and you have no idea what your outwards component even is. Saying that the brain looks outwards through the eyes like a window is flat out wrong and impossible if it is taken as something the brain (distinct from the eyes) is meant to do in relation to the eyes. And taken as something done by the brain-eye system as a whole it is trivially true and accepted by both the afferent and efferent accounts.

Quote:
Somewhere along the line you are not getting it, and you're certainly not understanding that this does not violate physics. Until you do, you will continue to tell me that this is magic because you don't see how this can occur when light hasn't reached Earth yet.
You don't see how this can occur either. And you aren't explaining it in a way that does not violate physics.
Angakuk (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I cannot go through this entire post and make this thread revolve around your confusion. Give me one question at a time and I will answer. That's all I have to say.
Bullshit. You are lying to us. I just did give you one question at a time, and you flat out refused to answer. Stop lying and stop weaseling. Every time you do, you further discredit both yourself and your father.
LadyShea (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Think efferent, that's all I can say. If the eye can see the object in real time (not the image from light), then the light has to be at the eye. I understand people don't get it and they think it's not physically possible because light hasn't traveled to earth where the retina is located, but it doesn't have to in the efferent account.
If you want us to "think efferent" then you have to stop contradicting yourself and start making sense. How can this light be at the retina without traveling there? How does it get there in efferent vision? Where was this same light one moment beforehand?
Bump.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I still am dumbfounded why you wouldn't take my offer to get the book for free. It astounds me. One day you will want the book.
Peacegirl, please clarify what you were talking about here. Because I am pretty sure I did take you up on your offer.
Bump!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Stop weaseling. Your response has nothing to do with my question. I asked you a simple Yes or No question, and you haven't answered it.

Bump.

Quote:
Stop weaseling for one moment, and answer this simple question:

If the light at the retina didn't get there by traveling there, then how did it get there?
Bump.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:

Indeed. "Undeniable" is almost exactly the opposite of what "scientific" means.
peacegirl has well demonstrated that her brain lost most of its ability to learn some time ago. It is probably part of her mental illness. In any case it should be very clear by now that to peacegirl, all matters of "fact" are merely matters of opinion and her opinion is the only one that counts. One would expect this stance from a person who clearly has no command whatsoever of the facts, reason or reality.

It is also interesting to note that this stance extends to her command of the facts of Lessans book. But as the "Editor" she is able to make Lessans correspond to her version of the facts. Not that they differ to great extent since she was probably brain washed by the "great man" as a child, if not abused in many other ways.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
To say Lessans is wrong because relativity is right, is not how science works.
This is, in effect, a lie. You have demonstrated over and over and over again that you have no idea at all how science works. So you're being disingenuous at best. (Hint: It's dishonest to pretend you understand something that you clearly do not.)

In any event, you're now back to arguing that Einstein was wrong. And more importantly, all the experiments over the past century verifying Relativity Theory are also wrong.
That is not what I said. I said that science doesn't work that way. If there is factual proof that something works a certain way, that's a different story, not because of someone's fame. I did not say relativity theory is wrong. I said this claim of seeing in real time is not negated because of an apparent conflict with relativity theory. It doesn't even relate because efferent vision has nothing to do with the speed of light or time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
Which is weird, since the technologies which depend on Relativity Theory being correct actually work.
I never said relativity didn't work, I said that this claim doesn't even relate to Lessans' claim. We had this conversation a long time ago and I still don't think there's a conflict.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Also, I did not say relativity theory is wrong. This claim doesn't even relate to this because it has nothing to do with the speed of light, or time.
Like I said, to her "facts" are just opinion and her opinion is the only one that counts. If she weren't so mentally ill, this statement would be drop down, roll on the floor funny. But in her case it is just the human tragedy of a mental person posturing in the public square.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I still am dumbfounded why you wouldn't take my offer to get the book for free. It astounds me. One day you will want the book.
Peacegirl, please clarify what you were talking about here. Because I am pretty sure I did take you up on your offer.
Bump!
No you did not. You said you were not interested but you would give me an address to some university that might be.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy