Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
if your choices and actions are considered free, as is defined by the standard definition, then your choices and actions cannot be caused
I didn't say choices and actions are caused. Read more carefully.

1. Our desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are caused
2. Our choices in how and whether to act on them are free

You are arguing with the strawman you have constructed, not with what I am actually communicating to you
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are doing exactly what Spacemonkey does. You are coming from the afferent position (which you don't even realize) that focuses on photons traveling, rather than the eyes seeing.
You're lying again. You have moving photons in your account. Therefore asking about the motion and behavior of those photons in your account is not to adopt the afferent position.
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I already did LadyShea. For you to ask me where the contradiction is when I have been over this with a fine tooth comb, and explained it as carefully as possible, indicates that the problem is not with me.
That you think you've shown a contradiction in compatibilism when all you've ever done is assert that it is there and tell us to find it for ourselves shows that the problem is very much with you.
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You cannot separate your desires, opinions, beliefs and motives and say they are caused in one breath, and then say you have free will in the next breath.
Yes, we can. We can say exactly that.

Quote:
Just because nothing is coercing you to choose one way or another does not mean your will is free.
It means we have the compatibilist kind of freedom that I explained to you before.

Quote:
If you examine this carefully you will see that the compatibilist definition has been a way to resolve this irreconcilable issue since to make someone morally blameworthy, the people doing the blaming must believe that this person had the "freedom" to choose otherwise. But how could one choose otherwise if his desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are pushing or causing him to act a certain way? Can't you see the contradiction? Don't you see that if someone has the freedom to choose a different alternative than the one that was chosen, then his actions would not be determined.
Compatibilist freedom is not the freedom to have been able to choose otherwise in exactly the same causal conditions. It is rather the freedom to have been able to choose differently under slightly different antecedent conditions, and to have been able to act in accordance with one's decision given whatever choice one is actually caused to make.

This is a form of freedom which we undeniably have, and which is also sufficient for moral responsibility, blame, and punishment. And there is no contradiction involved at all, regardless of your faith-claims and assertions to the contrary.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 PM

[quote=peacegirl;1096450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Different dictionaries define differently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster
Free will - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
: voluntary choice or decision
: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention
As I explained, I think it's perfectly consistent to say our underlying desires and motives are caused but our choices in acting are free.
That is an outright contradiction, and something you want to hold onto because it satisfies both sides of this position. But if you carefully analyze this, you will see for yourself that it's a contradiction, and there's no way out of it except to either accept determinism or accept free will. Since both sides are not satisfactory, compatibilism came into existence to make everyone happy. The only problem is IT'S WRONG.

LOL, you think I want to hold onto this? What makes you think this has anything at all to do with my personal opinions?

Asserting that it's an either/or question does not make it so. Show the contradiction.
I already did LadyShea. For you to ask me where the contradiction is when I have been over this with a fine tooth comb, and explained it as carefully as possible, indicates that the problem is not with me.
You've not shown anything, you've simply said it is contradictory, and asserted that it is obvious, and told me to analyze it myself to see this contradiction...all because you do not agree that various different concepts of the term free will are valid.

You are the one playing semantics because you hold that your definition of the terms used are the only correct ones. That is simply not the case.
I did not say the various concepts of free will are not defined correctly. As to whether these concepts are valid in the sense that they are compatible with a deterministic worldview is another ballgame altogether.
There are various concepts of determinism too, though. There are definitions of both terms that are not contradictory.

For example what I've said several times is not contradictory at all: Our desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are caused,and our choices in how and whether to act on them are free. Where is the logical contradiction in this statement?
Quote:
You cannot separate your desires, opinions, beliefs and motives and say they are caused in one breath, and then say you have free will in the next breath.
Sure I can. Desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are not in one's conscious control (the will), the choices in whether and how to act are within one's conscious control, therefore free.

For example I cannot control feeling angry, I don't have free will to choose emotions. I can control whether I punch someone in the face based on that anger. My actions are freely chosen.

Quote:
Just because nothing is coercing you to choose one way or another does not mean your will is free.
Maybe not according to your concept of free will, but according to other versions of free will, it means the will is free.

Quote:
If you examine this carefully you will see that the compatibilist definition has been a way to resolve this irreconcilable issue since to make someone morally blameworthy, the people doing the blaming must believe that this person had the "freedom" to choose otherwise.
If people can freely choose how to act, then they could be considered moral agents and held responsible for those actions.

Quote:
But how could one choose otherwise if his desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are pushing or causing him to act a certain way?
One can choose not to act, or choose from amongst multiple actions in response to those things.

Bob is angry at the outcome of the election. He cannot choose to not feel angry. He can choose whether and how to act on that anger, however. Maybe he writes a letter to the editor, maybe he complains on Facebook, maybe he builds a bomb, maybe he gets drunk. His actions are freely chosen.
Quote:
Can't you see the contradiction? Don't you see that if someone has the freedom to choose a different alternative than the one that was chosen, then his actions would not be determined.
I never said actions are determined, did I?

BTW, I am not a compatibilist either...I have no emotional ties to this discussion. I am trying to show you that your binary thinking is not proof of anything because others understand and use terms differently than you do.

Last edited by LadyShea; 11-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
I'm trying to show you where there are flaws in your reasoning, but you are being resistant because you won't allow yourself to admit that you may have flaws in your reasoning.
But you aren't showing me any flaws in my reasoning. All you're doing is asserting that they are there.

Quote:
I have yet to understand the compatibilist's view of free will that allows them to keep this position and keep determinism as well, without it being contradictory. The kind of free will you expressed compatibilism holds is no different from the standard definition. You can't have both, sorry.
I carefully explained the difference the compatibilist kind of freedom and the libertarian/contra-causal kind of freedom in the very post you just replied to. I said:

The above definition of compatibilist free will differs from libertarian or contra-causal free will in that it allows for a person's choices and actions to be fully determined by previous causes. Being caused does not involve any compulsion or coercion, and the ability to act in accordance with one's choice allows for that choice to have been causally determined.

And you still haven't told me what "outright lies" you were speaking of.

Quote:
Oh, if the above definition renders will free, IT CAN'T BE UNFREE. DANG!!! I thought compatibilism meant that free will was COMPATIBLE with determinism. You have not shown me a special free will that allows this compatibility to be possible.
Yes, I have. I defined it for you and carefully explained how it differs from libertarian/contra-causal freedom. The definition does render the will free. It does not render it unfree, nor is it meant to. It renders free will compatible with determinism.

Quote:
I am telling you that it is the standard definition, and I'm calling it a total contradiction because there is no special compatibilist free will (the kind you defined) that allows two opposing positions to come together without it being fundamentally flawed.
Then you are wrong. The definition I gave you is not the same as that for libertarian/contra-causal free will, and I explained to you the difference. It is not at all contradictory, and you have not even tried to identify any contradiction in the definition I gave you.

Quote:
Read this again and see if you can point out the contradiction.
There isn't one. If you think otherwise then stop weaseling and tell me what you think it is.

Quote:
It's amazing to me that you can't see where this reasoning is flawed as logical as you are.
Again, if you think there is a flaw then point it out.

Quote:
But determinism doesn't just mean coersion. It means not having a free choice, which renders free will an impossibility.
Determinism doesn't involve coercion at all. And it does not mean not having a free choice either. You are simply presupposing incompatibilism once again without identifying any flaw in compatibilism.

Quote:
No Spacemonkey, that's totally illogical. You cannot tell me that a person is caused to do what he does, and yet is blameworthy because his choices are not coerced. That deserves a big duh! :doh::doh::doh:
I can and do tell you exactly that. And apparently all you can do in response is stamp your feet and shake your head. If you think you have a rational response then please provide it.

Quote:
I never said I had a working model that I can describe in detail, and if I did I recanted it.
You said you had a plausible model. That is not true. You don't have any kind of model at all.

Quote:
But the distance that you're talking about is nil if Lessans is right. Remember, it doesn't matter how far something is. It's whether the object is in the camera's field of view that matters, just as it's whether the object is in the retina's visual range that matters.
No, the distance is not nil if Lessans is right. The actual distance does not change under Lessans account. So the light still cannot be impinging on a retina on Earth if light has not arrived at the Earth. If the light is ever there without having traveled there, then it either came into existence at the retina or teleported there.

Quote:
You are going back to the afferent version where light has to travel a long distance. Remember, if Lessans is right then all it takes is for the object to have light around it. That's why I said you could have a candle in a dark room or the moon in a dark sky, and get the same result on film.
No, I am not going back to the afferent account. I am quite specifically asking you about the light at the film/retina on YOUR EFFERENT ACCOUNT. And you are again WEASELING instead of actually answering. Once again: You say that light being at the retina on Earth without having traveled to Earth is exactly what is happening. So then did this light come into existence at the retina without ever having previously existed? If not, i.e. if this light did also previously exist, then where was it at the immediately preceding moment?

Quote:
I'm trying my best Spacemonkey.
You may be trying your best to maintain your faith-based position, but you are not doing your best to actually answer my questions. You are not trying to do that at all.

Quote:
Think 180 degree turnaround with the efferent model. That's a start. It is a strange concept to grasp at first, but that's only because it's a different way of thinking about sight. That in and of itself doesn't make it automatically wrong.
More weaseling. Still no answers. Stating there must be a "180 degree turnaround" doesn't help me or answer what I asked in any way. Again: You are saying that there is light at the retina which never traveled to get there. So you have to explain its presence there. Was it always there? Did it come into existence there? Did it teleport there? Where was this light at the immediately preceding moment? You won't answer this question because all you can do is weasel.

Quote:
There is a definite contradiction in compatibilism...
Really? What is it? Why do you keep claiming there to be a contradiction without ever being able to identify it? Is this another faith-claim from you?

Quote:
I still am dumbfounded why you wouldn't take my offer to get the book for free. It astounds me. One day you will want the book.
What are you talking about??? I did take you up on your offer!!! Are you reneging?
Bump.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM
cold, heartless bitch

What do dogs and lightning have to do with this?
That's Lessans style science. He uses these things as "proof"

Lessans claims his book is complete and contains everything we need to know to see his brilliance and agree with his conclusions. If you need to come up with explanations that aren't contained in the book then he failed. His book was God's will he didn't have a choice but to write the book. If his book failed, his God failed. Perhaps if you see it that way you can let go. It's not your dad's failure, it's God that messed up.

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-14-2012), But (11-14-2012), Kael (11-15-2012), thedoc (11-15-2012), Vivisectus (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have explained how light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth. You hand wave it away because you dont' believe it's physically possible. And I said that it is possible because efferent vision is the exact opposite of afferent vision
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Light cannot be in two places at once. It is a physical impossibility.
No one said that light has to be at two places at once.

You did. You said "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth". That statement puts the same light in two locations

Location 1: On the retina, on Earth
Location 2: Someplace other than on Earth, so it can't be on the retina since the retina is on Earth
But you're missing why a mirror image can be at the retina in the efferent account, even though light hasn't reached Earth, so this analysis is not accurate, although it is logical.
Quote:
That's what you're missing. When the eyes look in the opposite direction, it follows that light is not bringing the image into the brain. Light is a necessary condition for the eyes to see. When the eyes look at the real object (not the image), it follows that what is at the retina is a mirror image which does not travel, even though light is constantly replacing old photons with new photons.
Quote:
If the "same light" is located at the retina (required to be "impinging" on it), it cannot also be located someplace other than the retina, especially not on the Sun 93 million miles away or the stars light years away.

Vision being opposite doesn't change the laws of physics.
Quote:
Of course it doesn't LadyShea. I never said it did. But it does change how we see the world. Just because the eyes work differently than once believed does not mean that light works any differently, but it does change an important fact; namely, our relationship to the external world.
If we see an object no matter how far away it is, it is due to the fact that the image is capable of being resolved. The only difference is that in the efferent account, the object must be present, which seems to have been forgotten. That is what allows this phenomenon to occur even though light hasn't traveled to Earth.

Quote:
The eyes working differently cannot make light impinge on the retina if there is no light located at the retina. Your exact words were "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth."
Quote:
Light CAN IMPINGE ON THE RETINA, no one is debating this.
Quote:
Light that is not physically located on Earth and on the retina is not light that is impinging on the retina.
Not true if you think of "mirror image" and what the eye is capturing.

Quote:
But if the eyes work differently than what originally believed, the interpretation of what is actually going on changes dramatically.
Quote:
Gibber jabber blargle snarph. You are weaseling through word salad
No I'm not talking word salad. If the eyes work differently than what was once thought, it becomes a game changer and our understanding of what is going on has to be adjusted accordingly.

Quote:
Once again, it is true that light lands on the retina
Quote:
Location of light = on the retina, on Earth
Yes, from an afferent position, but if the eyes are efferent light does not have to reach earth for the eyes to utilize the light. The farther away a person moves from the object, the less photons are going to be at the retina until the object is so far away that no photons are at the retina and the object can no longer be seen. Our entire visual landscape works in the same way whether the object is far away or very close. This has nothing to do with the speed of light which travels at 186,000 miles a second. It only means that the eye is capable of seeing objects in real time due to light being a necessary condition.
Quote:
As we were discussing Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, so the light hasn't yet arrived on Earth, how does the light come to be located on the retina if there is no light on Earth?
You have to try really hard (because this is not an easy concept) to understand the difference between the efferent view and the afferent. This does not change physics; but it does allow this mirror image to show up, or be captured, on the retina or film instantly, even though photons are constantly being replaced by the Sun's light. The mirror image that is on the retina is everything that is in our field of view, not just one object. If you look at the retina you will see an upside down version of everything that is seen, just like you get in any mirror image. There is no travel time whatsoever.

Reflections Photos, Reflections Pictures, Reflections Wallpaper — National Geographic

Quote:
You're not getting that if the eyes are efferent they are capturing the external world as it exists instantly on the retina. There is no time involved whatsoever. Distance is not the issue here. It is size and intensity of light that matters. This is what you're not getting because you keep thinking in terms of light traveling from the object to the eye. But this is the afferent account, not the efferent.
Quote:
If there are no light photons in the same physical location of the retina, those same light photons cannot impinge on the retina.

Remember the thought experiment with the marble across the room? It still applies.
Quote:
No, it doesn't apply LadyShea. We're talking the eyes, not light or marbles.
Quote:
You said "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth". This is the same as saying "the marble can be on the table even if that same marble has not reached the table from the chair across the room."

You made a claim about light, and I am asking you to defend that claim.
This is not analogous. As I just said, we're talking about the eyes, not about the physical properties of light or marbles.

Quote:
So again, you can somehow account for the laws of physics and known properties of light in your model, or your model is disproved.
Quote:
This claim is so far from being disproved, it's a real joke. You will realize in time that there is no contradiction with physics and the fact that light travels.
Quote:
I won't realize any such thing because there is a huge contradiction with your claims that you can't explain.
I know this is a difficult concept, but I'll keep trying as long as you keep trying.

Quote:
the fact that the object must be in view, allows for light to impinge on the retina.
Quote:
Brains looking out through the eyes at things in view does not negate physical distance. Impinging requires physical proximity. Physically get the photons to the retina or you are gibbering nonsense.
But there is physical proximity if the object is within visual range. It may be a distant object, but that is not as important as whether that object is large enough and bright enough. If it meets those requirements, it can be seen regardless of how far away it is. By the same token, if something is tiny, it won't be seen even if it's right in front of you because the requirements for sight have not been met.

Quote:
It actually does LadyShea, not because this observation changes physics, but because the eyes can get a mirror image on the retina due to the direction the eyes are viewing reality. You keep arguing with me as if this changes light's physical properties, which it does not, and Lessans never disputed.
Quote:
Impinging requires physical proximity. Physically get the photons to the retina or you are gibbering nonsense.
Quote:
You are doing exactly what Spacemonkey does. You are coming from the afferent position (which you don't even realize) that focuses on photons traveling, rather than the eyes seeing.
Quote:
I am only coming from the position of the laws of physics as they apply to light and asking you to defend your claims about light.

You are weaseling. Respond to my points. I bolded them above for your convenience.
I am not disputing anything about light. I am disputing how the eyes work, and until you get the difference, you will continue to ask the same questions because you are still basing your understanding on the afferent account, not the efferent.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-14-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
It's your style Spacemonkey. I've said this before. You don't have to come off like an interrogator for me to hear what you have to say and to try to respond to your questions. I feel defensive when you come off like this, and it does not help the discussion. I also told you I am trying to answer all questions, but it makes it more difficult than it already is when you call this a non-discovery and tell me I'm batshit insane. If you can't be nice, just soften your edges a little bit, and we'll get along.
If you want me to soften my style, then stop lying to me, avoiding my questions, and accusing me of lies and contradictions without being able to support those charges. Those things don't really help the conversation either.

Quote:
How many times do I have repeat myself that this was an astute observation that cannot be tested directly. This is how conscience works or we wouldn't have one. Yes, there are things that can get in the way of conscience working at full throttle, but that also means we can change the environment in such a way that we can get conscience to work at full throttle.
You can repeat yourself about his claims being astute observations all you like. It doesn't help you one bit. That isn't supporting his claims, but is rather only your excuse for not being able to do so. Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?

Quote:
Stop telling me I'm not supporting these claims. I'm explaining what conditions in the environment have to be met (which you don't know yet because you never got that far) for a person not to have any justification to hurt another.
Why should I stop telling you that you are not supporting his claims? YOU AREN'T. You are not providing any support for them at all. I'm not asking you to tell me what conditions you think have to be met to remove all justifications. I'm asking you why you think a justification would always be necessary under those changed conditions.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you can't tell someone in hindsight that has offered a valuable discovery, how he should have done it, or how he should have anticipated certain things, or what he should have written. I know he did the best he could and it took him years to put this discovery into words that people would be able to digest and comprehend. And what do you do? Complain. You just can't do that in all fairness.
I most certainly can. It is perfectly fair and reasonable for me to ask why Lessans never anticipated that the complete absence of any support for his fundamental premises regarding conscience would lead to so many people failing to be convinced of or impressed by his argument. If he was as perceptive and insightful as you claim, then he should have anticipated such an obvious problem. Anyone who has voraciously read and studied history and human behavior should have known that rational people will have a problem with claims that lack any supporting evidence.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Then pay attention. This is not a difficult point. You said that the point of contention differentiating efferent from afferent vision is the direction in which the brain is looking. But 'looking' is not something the brain itself can do in relation to the eyes. It is only something that the brain-eye system as a whole can possibly do. And in that sense, EVERYONE already agrees that the brain-eye system looks outwards in the direction of objects. No-one has ever thought otherwise. (The difference is in how we explain this outwards looking, which is something you cannot do at all - it is a primitive notion in your account, and yet it is also the very thing you are meant to be giving an account of.)
Why is it primitive? Explain yourself.
'Primitive' is a semi-technical notion here, which just means that 'looking' as you use it remains an unexplained an unreduced aspect of your account. There is no explanation of what this 'looking' is or how it is done. However, this was in parentheses for a reason. The important point here is that 'looking' cannot be done by the brain through the eyes. It is rather what the brain and eyes do together as a single system. And everyone agrees that the brain-eye system looks outwards at objects. The difference lies in how this is explained. For us it is explained in terms of the inwards transmission of light and information. For you and efferent vision it is not explained at all.

Quote:
It isn't looking that is the key component here. It is this focusing, and this focusing takes place as babies when the other senses stimulate the brain to desire to look and see what it is feeling and experiencing.
You're hopeless. You've tried to say that 'looking' is not the important component here, and gone on to speak of the brain looking and seeing things again.

Quote:
It doesn't invalidate anything Spacemonkey. It might not be a perfect analogy, but the brain is looking through the eyes as one unit. A person looking through a window is not one unit. It's a close enough analogy. To repeat: Just because it's not perfect does not invalidate the claim in any way, shape, or form.
I'm afraid the analogy is absolutely worthless. Not only does it fail in the way I explained, but the only sense in which it holds is that in which it is trivially true and agreed with by everyone. Obviously people look out at things with their eyes. But there is no sense in which people (or their brains) look out at things through there eyes as a window that distinguishes efferent from afferent vision. And if the analogy is not identifying something the brain does in efferent vision that it does not do in afferent vision, then the analogy fails to make any useful or relevant point.
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
But you're missing why a mirror image can be at the retina in the efferent account, even though light hasn't reached Earth, so this analysis is not accurate, although it is logical.
Is this mirror image at the retina composed of light? Yes, or No?
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

Lessans claims his book is complete and contains everything we need to know to see his brilliance and agree with his conclusions. If you need to come up with explanations that aren't contained in the book then he failed. His book was God's will he didn't have a choice but to write the book. If his book failed, his God failed. Perhaps if you see it that way you can let go. It's not your dad's failure, it's God that messed up.
Now what you just said is word salad. My father didn't fail. And what do you mean by his God? This is a psychological law of man's nature. It is not his personal God. This book contains a blueprint and, as such, it is complete. Blueprints are general outlines. Do you even know what his discovery is about? You seem to think you know a lot more than you actually do. You're too busy nitpicking.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I am not disputing anything about light.
Yes, you are. You are claiming light can be somewhere without having traveled there. And that contradicts the known properties of light.

Quote:
I am disputing how the eyes work...
You have absolutely no idea how the eyes are meant to work on your account.
Angakuk (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, and please don't start telling me that the photons haven't reached the eye, which is right back to the afferent account (even though you don't see it). I don't want to get into this again after that long post from LadyShea. :sadcheer:

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, and please don't start telling me that the photons haven't reached the eye, which is right back to the afferent account (even though you don't see it). I don't want to get into this again after that long post from LadyShea. :sadcheer:
So then why are you contradicting yourself? How can photons be at the retina on Earth if no photons have yet reached the Earth? If photons are at the retina on Earth in the form of a mirror image, then obviously they have reached the Earth somehow. So how did they get there?
Angakuk (11-14-2012), LadyShea (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I still am dumbfounded why you wouldn't take my offer to get the book for free. It astounds me. One day you will want the book.
Peacegirl, please clarify what you were talking about here. Because I am pretty sure I did take you up on your offer.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No one said that light has to be at two places at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshea
You did. You said "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth". That statement puts the same light in two locations

Location 2: Someplace other than on Earth, so it can't be on the retina since the retina is on Earth
Quote:
But you're missing why a mirror image can be at the retina in the efferent account, even though light hasn't reached Earth
What have I missed? You've never explained how or why this works, you've only asserted that it is so.

You are being asked to support that statement. So, how does light impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth?

That statement puts the same light in two locations

Quote:
Quote:
If the "same light" is located at the retina (required to be "impinging" on it), it cannot also be located someplace other than the retina, especially not on the Sun 93 million miles away or the stars light years away.

Vision being opposite doesn't change the laws of physics.
Quote:
Of course it doesn't LadyShea. I never said it did. But it does change how we see the world. Just because the eyes work differently than once believed does not mean that light works any differently, but it does change an important fact; namely, our relationship to the external world.
Quote:
If we see an object no matter how far away it is, it is due to the fact that the image is capable of being resolved.

The only difference is that in the efferent account, the object must be present, which seems to have been forgotten.

That is what allows this phenomenon to occur even though light hasn't traveled to Earth.
You've not explained how light can be impinging on the retina if there is no light located at the retina.

All you said was we can see things that can be seen. That's not the topic under discussion

Quote:
Quote:
The eyes working differently cannot make light impinge on the retina if there is no light located at the retina. Your exact words were "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth."
Quote:
Light CAN IMPINGE ON THE RETINA, no one is debating this.
Quote:
Light that is not physically located on Earth and on the retina is not light that is impinging on the retina.
Quote:
Not true if you think of "mirror image" and what the eye is capturing.
You are now back to light existing in two locations simultaneously. If the mirror image consists of light, and the mirror image is at the retina, then at noon, when the Sun is turned on, light is located at the retina as well as on the Sun 93 million miles away.

That's not physically possible, nor have you offered any physical mechanism to make it physically possible. Light physically exists, it obeys physical laws and has measurable, observable, immutable properties. Bi-location is not one of those properties.

How did the light at the retina come to be located at the retina if there is no light on Earth?

Quote:
Once again, it is true that light lands on the retina
Quote:
Location of light = on the retina, on Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by peqcegirl
Yes, from an afferent position, but if the eyes are efferent light does not have to reach earth for the eyes to utilize the light.
You've moved the goal posts from light "impinging on the retina" to the eyes merely "utilizing" light. If light is located on the retina and the retina is located on Earth, then the light is located on Earth.

You said "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth". Defend that statement, or retract it.

Quote:
Quote:
As we were discussing Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, so the light hasn't yet arrived on Earth, how does the light come to be located on the retina if there is no light on Earth?
Quote:
The mirror image that is on the retina is everything that is in our field of view, not just one object.
Is the mirror image made of light? Is the retina located on Earth? How does the light come to be located on the retina (in the form of a mirror image) if there is no light on Earth since the light is located on the Sun in Lessans scenario?

Quote:
Quote:
If there are no light photons in the same physical location of the retina, those same light photons cannot impinge on the retina.

Remember the thought experiment with the marble across the room? It still applies.
Quote:
No, it doesn't apply LadyShea. We're talking the eyes, not light or marbles.
Quote:
You said "light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth". This is the same as saying "the marble can be on the table even if that same marble has not reached the table from the chair across the room."

You made a claim about light, and I am asking you to defend that claim.
Quote:
This is not analogous. As I just said, we're talking about the eyes, not about the physical properties of light or marbles.
As I said you made a claim about light, and I am asking you to defend that claim. Your claim was, yet again weasel:light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth

Impinge means direct physical contact, requiring that the light and retina be in the same physical location, as the marble and table must be in the same physical location for the marble to be on the table.

If the light is on the Sun, and therefore has not yet reached the retina on Earth, the light can't occupy the same physical location as the retina, just as the marble cannot occupy the same location as the table if the marble is still across the room on a chair.

The analogy is apt.
Quote:
I am not disputing anything about light.
Yes, you are when you said:light can impinge on the retina even if that same light has not reached Earth

You can retract that statement, or defend it. Anything you say in response to this post that is irrelevant to defending or retracting this statement as quoted will be ignored as it was in this response.

Last edited by LadyShea; 11-14-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
How many times do I have repeat myself that this was an astute observation that cannot be tested directly. This is how conscience works or we wouldn't have one.
You have given us no reason believe any of this other than "Lessans said so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
b) Trial by dog. A dog can smell his owner but, Lessans claims, won't know his owner just by sight (give a dog a photo and he'll look at you like 'so what?') He doesn't perform trial by cat, though. Give a cat a laser light to chase around and though they can't smell it or have any other indication the light spot is dancing on the wall... they will go insane chasing it around.

No point talking about how sound and light are both vibrations. It's not as conclusive as trial by dog.
Dogs will chase a laser light, too.
True, but they learned to do that from watching the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
(Did you know we can see lignting strikes before we see them too?)
I think you better read that again, Dragar. It's not only wrong, it's peacegirl wrong.

Quote:
If I had any doubt that this was as true discovery, I would never be this confident.
Your lack of doubt is at the very core of your problem.

Quote:
You can be ignorant of one thing and enlightened by another.
Or you can be like peacegirl and be ignorant of everything.

Quote:
You are arguing with the strawman you have constructed, not with what I am actually communicating fruitlessly attempting to communicate to you
Quote:
Yes, from an afferent position, but if the eyes are efferent light does not have to reach earth for the eyes to utilize the light. The farther away a person moves from the object, the less photons are going to be at the retina until the object is so far away that no photons are at the retina and the object can no longer be seen.
If the photons don't have to travel to reach the retina, why would the distance between the retina and the object matter?

Quote:
You have to try really hard (because this is not an easy concept) to understand the difference between the efferent view and the afferent.
Yes, Lady Shea, you have to try much harder. The ability to understand meaningless nonsense can only be acquired after a great deal of diligent effort. Listen to peacegirl. She knows whereof she speaks. She has mastered the skill of understanding nonsense.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So then why are you contradicting yourself? How can photons be at the retina on Earth if no photons have yet reached the Earth? If photons are at the retina on Earth in the form of a mirror image, then obviously they have reached the Earth somehow. So how did they get there?
She asked you not to tell her that. She even said please. You are a very rude boy, Spacemonkey!
But (11-15-2012), ceptimus (11-14-2012), Dragar (11-15-2012), Kael (11-15-2012), Spacemonkey (11-14-2012), Vivisectus (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
:lolhog:

Do explain how this is possible?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012), thedoc (11-15-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

He was a genius who could observe human nature without fail! He saw patterns in human behaviour that no-one else could fathom, and divined the true working of the soul. He unlocked the secrets of the universal human conscience, and prophesied Gods Plan for all of us.

It is just that he had this enormous blind spot where writing a convincing account is concerned. And that he did not know what "proof" means. Or "Science". And that despite being blessed with penetrating insight into what makes people tick he seems to have been completely unable to predict that people would need some reason to believe he was correct. And that his extensive reading seems to somehow not have included, say, biology 101. Or high-school grade science. A basic course in creative writing would have saved the world some bleeding eyeballs too.

But apart from his general ignorance, complete inability to express a clear point, and an obsession with calling his own ideas The Most Important Discovery Ever, he was a humble genius.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012), Spacemonkey (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we can. We can say exactly that.
If you think people should be held morally responsible and therefore blamed and punished for their wrongdoing, even if those actions were caused by previous desires, opinions, beliefs and motives, go right ahead and blame. I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You aren't asking any questions; you are telling me Lessans is wrong on all counts. If that's what you believe, then we can part ways. All this is is an interrogation on your part because you will not allow yourself to even hear the extension of these principles. It's amazing that we never got past the first chapter and just a small portion of chapter two. I'm not going to sit in the interrogating room anymore and take your verbal accusations.

Quote:
Quote:
It means we have the compatibilist kind of freedom that I explained to you before.
A compatibilist kind of freedom says zilch.

Quote:
If you examine this carefully you will see that the compatibilist definition has been a way to resolve this irreconcilable issue since to make someone morally blameworthy, the people doing the blaming must believe that this person had the "freedom" to choose otherwise. But how could one choose otherwise if his desires, opinions, beliefs and motives are pushing or causing him to act a certain way? Can't you see the contradiction? Don't you see that if someone has the freedom to choose a different alternative than the one that was chosen, then his actions would not be determined.
Quote:
Compatibilist freedom is not the freedom to have been able to choose otherwise in exactly the same causal conditions. It is rather the freedom to have been able to choose differently under slightly different antecedent conditions, and to have been able to act in accordance with one's decision given whatever choice one is actually caused to make.
But how could they choose differently under slightly different antecedent conditions, if those conditions met with the same consequences that they didn't want and therefore were compelled or caused not to choose? I have no idea what freedom you're talking about except to make it sound like it's a special kind that is unique to compatibilism, which it is not. It's the same old definition of free will and it fails the test.

Quote:
This is a form of freedom which we undeniably have, and which is also sufficient for moral responsibility, blame, and punishment. And there is no contradiction involved at all, regardless of your faith-claims and assertions to the contrary.
Then, like I said, go ahead and keep believing in this kind of free will environment, and we will continue to get the same results with the possiblity of a nuclear war. I am not going to sit here and argue with you as you continue to tell me that these are faith claims. I'm sick of it.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
If you think people should be held morally responsible and therefore blamed and punished for their wrongdoing, even if those actions were caused by previous desires, opinions, beliefs and motives, go right ahead and blame.
Okay, I will. If you can't give me any reason to reject compatibilism then I won't reject it.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You aren't asking any questions; you are telling me Lessans is wrong on all counts.
That's another lie. I have been asking you plenty of questions on this topic. They're just not ones you're capable of answering.

Quote:
A compatibilist kind of freedom says zilch.
It says exactly what I said it says. You asked me to explain it to you. Apparently you can't even understand it, never mind refute it.

Quote:
Quote:
But how could they choose differently under slightly different antecedent conditions, if those conditions met with the same consequences that they didn't want and therefore were compelled or caused not to choose? I have no idea what freedom you're talking about except to make it sound like it's a special kind that is unique to compatibilism, which it is not. It's the same old definition of free will and it fails the test.
It is not the same definition. I have repeatedly explained the difference, and you just keep on ignoring it. They could have chosen differently if the antecedent conditions had been such that they wanted to choose differently, i.e. if they had had different values or desires.

Quote:
Then, like I said, go ahead and keep believing in this kind of free will environment, and we will continue to get the same results with the possiblity of a nuclear war. I am not going to sit here and argue with you as you continue to tell me that these are faith claims. I'm sick of it.
Stop making faith claims about alleged contradictions you cannot identify, and I'll stop saying you are making faith claims. If you stop claiming that compatibilism is false, then I'll stop asking you to prove it. But if you can't show compatibilism to be false, then you have failed to show that Lessans proved we have no free will of any kind.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
How many times do I have repeat myself that this was an astute observation that cannot be tested directly. This is how conscience works or we wouldn't have one.
You have given us no reason believe any of this other than "Lessans said so".
That is not true Angakuk. I can't move forward if you can't take at face value that conscience functions in a predictable way. It's true that we can't predict the psychological underpinnings of each human being if they have already been hurt in life. Their underlying anger or rage can take many forms, but I'm talking about a complete change in the environment where this hurt to others will no longer occur. Therefore, those who may have been genetically predisposed to manifesting their anger in certain ways, will not show up because there will be no hurt done to them where it will ever get to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
b) Trial by dog. A dog can smell his owner but, Lessans claims, won't know his owner just by sight (give a dog a photo and he'll look at you like 'so what?') He doesn't perform trial by cat, though. Give a cat a laser light to chase around and though they can't smell it or have any other indication the light spot is dancing on the wall... they will go insane chasing it around.

No point talking about how sound and light are both vibrations. It's not as conclusive as trial by dog.
Dogs will chase a laser light, too.
Quote:
You are arguing with the strawman you have constructed, not with what I am actually communicating fruitlessly attempting to communicate to you
Quote:
Yes, from an afferent position, but if the eyes are efferent light does not have to reach earth for the eyes to utilize the light. The farther away a person moves from the object, the less photons are going to be at the retina until the object is so far away that no photons are at the retina and the object can no longer be seen.
Quote:
If the photons don't have to travel to reach the retina, why would the distance between the retina and the object matter?
I never said photons don't travel. In fact, I said the exact opposite.

Quote:
You have to try really hard (because this is not an easy concept) to understand the difference between the efferent view and the afferent.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Quote:
Think efferent, that's all I can say. If the eye can see the object in real time (not the image from light), then the light has to be at the eye. I understand people don't get it and they think it's not physically possible because light hasn't traveled to earth where the retina is located, but it doesn't have to in the efferent account.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 PM

The question is how does one define free will.

If we define it as the ability to choose actions according to our desires, which is the general definition, then yes we do have it.

You can then say "But you cannot choose your desires"!

But is that the point? Does "free will" mean "complete self-determination"? It seems to me that the discussion goes off-topic a bit there. It seems more like "free will" means an ability to decide everything about yourself. And it would not stop there: you would also require full control over everything you experience, or else the outside world would still be able to determine some of what happens to you.

That does not seem like "free will" to me. The question seems more "Are we able to determine who we are".

The question is then - how do we determine what we want to be?

And how do we determine what we want to want to be?
And want to want to want to be?

We seem to have hit an infinite regression.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012), LadyShea (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Think efferent, that's all I can say. If the eye can see the object in real time (not the image from light), then the light has to be at the eye. I understand people don't get it and they think it's not physically possible because light hasn't traveled to earth where the retina is located, but it doesn't have to in the efferent account.
If you want us to "think efferent" then you have to stop contradicting yourself and start making sense. How can this light be at the retina without traveling there? How does it get there in efferent vision? Where was this same light one moment beforehand?
Angakuk (11-15-2012), LadyShea (11-14-2012), Vivisectus (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Think efferent, that's all I can say. If the eye can see the object in real time (not the image from light), then the light has to be at the eye.
The first rule of the tautology club is the first rule of the tautology club.

Is there any information in that sentence about the tautology club? Why no, there is not. Nor is there any in your sentence. You just say "If efferent vision is true, then it is true."

You might as well say nothing at all.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-15-2012), thedoc (11-15-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy