Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Additionally, there is no reason to think they should be able to in the first place.
I beg to disagree. The definition of "sense" is a recognition of what comes in. You can try to alter the definition to make it fit, so that you don't have to think about this, but I think it's an important clue, as I've said before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
That may be Lessans definition, but as usual it is not based on real science. A sense organ is some structure in the body that receives external stimuli, converts it into impulses that are transfered to the brain. Once in the brain those impulses are intrepreted as information, and this is a seperate issue from sense.
That is not Lessans' definition. That is in every dictionary that's out there. How quickly you want to condemn Lessans, which makes anything you say suspect.
Find any dictionary that uses the word recognize in the definition of sense organs
I am aware of what the definitions are in the dictionary. That being said, I want accuracy, that's all. Maybe there is no word that states "recognize" in the definition. That in itself does not make Lessans wrong.
You are correct, it does not, in itself, make Lessans wrong. However, it does make your claim that this definition "is in every dictionary that's out there" false. If you are going to appeal to dictionary definitions of terms then you ought to first make sure that dictionaries do indeed define the terms in the way you claim that they do. In this particular case you need to show that not just one dictionary but "every dictionary that's out there" defines the term the way you claim they do.
LadyShea (08-31-2012), Spacemonkey (09-01-2012), Stephen Maturin (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Did you know 3 weeks before the Titanic sunk there was another ship in Australia that sunk due to a cyclone? The ships were built very much alike, and both were thought to be unsinkable.

Fateful voyage of Australian 'Titanic' remains a riddle
You might find this website interesting.

http://lostliners.com/content/
I read the article about the Koombana and I could not find where it stated that the Koombana and Titanic were built very much the same. Nor could I find where it stated that the Koombana was thought to be unsinkable. The only comparison I could find was in regard to the similar degree of luxury offered by both ships. Did you have some other source in mind for your claims or are you just making stuff up?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Additionally, there is no reason to think they should be able to in the first place.
I beg to disagree. The definition of "sense"is a recognition of what comes in. You can try to alter the definition to make it fit, so that you don't have to think about this, but I think it's an important clue, as I've said before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
That may be Lessans definition, but as usual it is not based on real science. A sense organ is some structure in the body that receives external stimuli, converts it into impulses that are transfered to the brain. Once in the brain those impulses are intrepreted as information, and this is a seperate issue from sense.
That is not Lessans' definition. That is in every dictionary that's out there. How quickly you want to condemn Lessans, which makes anything you say suspect.
Find any dictionary that uses the word recognize in the definition of sense organs
I am aware of what the definitions are in the dictionary. That being said, I want accuracy, that's all. Maybe there is no word that states "recognize" in the definition. That in itself does not make Lessans wrong. You're grasping at straws LadyShea, and you can't stand that Lessans may actually be right after all. :sadcheer:
I am grasping at straws? I am not the one that made the ridiculously erroneous claim about definitions, you are. Can you read your own words? I bolded them for you.

I didn't say Lessans was wrong, I said YOU are wrong.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-01-2012), Spacemonkey (09-01-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Did you know 3 weeks before the Titanic sunk there was another ship in Australia that sunk due to a cyclone? The ships were built very much alike, and both were thought to be unsinkable.

Fateful voyage of Australian 'Titanic' remains a riddle
You might find this website interesting.

http://lostliners.com/content/
I read the article about the Koombana and I could not find where it stated that the Koombana and Titanic were built very much the same. Nor could I find where it stated that the Koombana was thought to be unsinkable. The only comparison I could find was in regard to the similar degree of luxury offered by both ships. Did you have some other source in mind for your claims or are you just making stuff up?
Perhaps I can be of assistance here with a bit of translating. The Kombana and the Titanic were built very much the same in that they both floated in sea water, and they had sufficient water tight intregrety so as to not sink when placed in afore mentioned sea water. This is of course as opposed to ships that are only unsinkable when not placed in sea water or any other kind of water, with the possible exception of 'very hard water'. The Wasa is one very well known example of a ship that was definitely not unsinkable, though possible more due to mishandeling than design.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-01-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Even in a court of law they won't accept one, or even two, pieces of evidence because they know it could still end up leading to a wrong conclusion.
:laugh:

Do tell! Exactly how many "pieces of evidence" are legally required in a "court of law" in order for "accept[ance]"?
There's no magic number.
Really? So "one, or even two, pieces of evidence" might be sufficient after all? :faint:
I didn't say that. I said there is no magic number. One piece of evidence could be strong enough to indict, or it could be a number of pieces of circumstantial evidence that leads to a guilty verdict.

See, this is what happens when folks hold forth extemporaneously regarding subjects on which they are bereft of knowledge.

First we learned that a mere one or two "pieces of evidence" is unacceptable in any court of law. Then we learned that there's "no magic number" of evidence pieces. When we made the obvious suggestion that the absence of a magic number suggests that one or two "pieces of evidence" might indeed be sufficient, we encountered a blizzard of authentic Lessantonian gibberish about how one piece of evidence "could be strong enough to indict, or it could be a number of pieces of circumstantial evidence that leads to a guilty verdict."

So now that we've achieved perfect clarity on these matters, it's time for a quiz.

The defendant in a criminal proceeding is charged with rape. A jury is impaneled and trial begins. The state, which bears the burdens of production and persuasion, presents its case first. The prosecutor calls the alleged victim to the stand, who testifies that she was raped and that the defendant was the rapist. After being questioned from both sides on direct, cross, redirect and recross examination, the witness is excused and the prosecutor rests the state's case. The state has presented just one "piece of evidence," namely the alleged victim's testimony.

Defense counsel stands up and moves for a judgment of acquittal, arguing that the prosecution's case is insufficient as a matter of law to support a verdict of guilty.

Is the defendant entitled to a judgment of acquittal?

(NOTE: There is a right answer, and unlike so much other law-related nonsense, the answer is not "it depends.")

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Dragar (08-31-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
I am gullible because I trust people and what they say.
Especially when it comes to your father. It is astounding that you cannot recognize this as a problem.
I knew someone was going to take what I said and refer it back to my father. Not surprised that it was you Spacemonkey. Having a trusting attitude toward people in general is not the same thing as studying knowledge that has been given to me and coming to my own independent conclusions.
Your self-admitted gullible and trusting attitude is very much a problem, especially when it comes to your fathers unsubstantiated claims. Your approach is the polar opposite of rational skepticism.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have people backing me up as we speak, and these individuals are not gullible, easily impressed people. Do you think I'm going to divulge who these people are? No way. I will wait for them to divulge their identify when the time is right. In fact, in many circles they are very well known, so don't be too quick to throw this discovery out now that others are getting involved.
Don't lie to us, Peacegirl. It makes you look silly. You know as well as we do that you have yet to convince a single person anywhere that Lessans' ideas have any validity or value.
You're wrong Spacemonkey.
No, I'm not.
I know your being wrong is difficult for you to accept, but I can't break it to you any easier. #1: Regardless of how many people have acknowledged this discovery, this proves nothing regarding its validity (I'm surprised that you would use this as proof), and #2 this is not a matter of convincing. Either you have the ability to grasp these principles or you don't. Unfortunately for you, you don't. :(
Why should I accept your claim that I am wrong, when you do nothing more than assert that this is so? And where did I uses this as proof of the invalidity of Lessans' ideas? I didn't. I simply pointed out that you know as well as we do that you are lying to us about your imaginary supporters. They do not exist, and you know it. You have yet to convince a single person anywhere that Lessans' ideas have any validity or value.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As per usual, your (loaded) question has been repeatedly answered, but you've paid no attention at all to the responses. Remember prosopagnosia? Do you understand our point in bringing it up?
Not really. Obviously, the brain has to interpret what it is seeing, and if something is wrong in the brain, there will be a deficit. It would be the same if we were talking about the sense of smell, taste, touch, or hearing. That part of the brain must be working for any type of recognition to occur.
Prosopagnosia shows that there is a part of the human brain responsible for facial recognition which when damaged can prevent a subject from recognizing faces even when the subject can see perfectly well. So if the canine brain had never evolved or developed this part of the brain, then dogs would be unable to recognize faces even if their eyes were afferent sense organs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
The sense of sight isn't different from the other senses in the way that you seem to think. There is no discrepancy to explain.
That's your opinion.
The difference is that my opinion is supported by facts and evidence, while yours is supported only by your own fundamentalist faith.
Don't go there again Spacemonkey. You're looking very foolish. I can't help that you don't see the relations involved, but that does not make Lessans wrong. I can see your angst because you believe if you don't get it, it can't be right. You're thinking too highly of yourself in that regard, I'm sorry to say. I'm not trying to put you down, but you're forcing my hand.
Apparently I'm forcing your hand by making you resort to non sequitur ad hominem responses by presenting points that you cannot address. Once more:

"Prosopagnosia shows that there is a part of the human brain responsible for facial recognition which when damaged can prevent a subject from recognizing faces even when the subject can see perfectly well. So if the canine brain had never evolved or developed this part of the brain, then dogs would be unable to recognize faces even if their eyes were afferent sense organs."
Dragar (09-01-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm Deplorable.

FYI, Peacegirl is logged on at Dissadent Philosophy where she had posted before coming here. Perhaps she is trolling her old forums looking for someone to talk to, but Dissadent Philosophy is Closed for now.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
He stated his position, but he did not explain it by giving reasons for thinking it to be true. He never explained why he thought that if the eyes are a sense organ, a dog should be able to recognize his master from a picture. If you think otherwise, then quote his explanation.

Don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension. You've already been shown the experiments. You reject them all as inconclusive because they do not support your father's completely unevidenced claim. Conclusive or not, ALL the experimental evidence supports the notion that dogs CAN recognize their masters from a photograph. There is no evidence at all showing that they can't. The preponderance of evidence is quite clear.

I'm not backpedalling. I'm showing you that you are wrong on both counts - both factually and as a matter of logic. You are factually wrong to claim that dogs cannot recognize their masters from a photograph, and you are further wrong as a matter of logic in thinking that if they couldn't do so that this would be evidence supporting efferent vision. It is not.

So then it could be the lack of a capacity for language, rather than the efferent/afferent nature of vision which could potentially be responsible for dogs' (alleged) inability to recognize their masters from a photograph. If language is what enables us humans to recognize faces despite (allegedly) having efferent vision, then dogs' lack of language rather than efferent vision could explain your (alleged but unsupported) 'fact' that dogs cannot recognize their masters from a photograph.
The capacity for language goes hand in hand with efferent vision, which is why a dog cannot recognize his master in a picture.
No, it doesn't. Not even according to you! You say that humans have efferent vision and the capacity for language, while dogs have efferent vision without the capacity for language. So why on Earth would you say that the two go hand in hand?

And why have you not addressed any other of my above points?

Quote:
There is no connection in his brain between the object and the word, and there is no pattern or image traveling from the external world to his brain. Humans have this capacity of language, dogs don't.
So why doesn't the dog just look out through his eyes as windows to see the pattern of his master's face which is there to be seen? If the dog can recognize his master's smell without words, why can't he recognize his face efferently without words?

Quote:
I really don't know why I'm doing this, but I'm going to give you the following excerpt again, not that it will make one bit of difference.
That's something you should work on - working out why you keep compulsively copypasting your father's words. The rest of us know why you do it.

Quote:
p. 126 Not knowing what the brain
was able to do, we were convinced that one group of similarities that
were seen with our very eyes contained a lesser value than the opposite
similarities. We were unaware that the brain had reversed the process
by which these negatives were developed and then projected onto the
screen of undeniable differences a value that existed only in our head.
It would not be long before this child would be conditioned to desire
associating with the one type while avoiding the other, and as he would
get older you would not be able to convince him that an ugly or
beautiful person did not exist as a definite part of the real world,
because he has witnessed these differences with his eyes. The confusion
between what is real and what is not comes from the fact that these
words not only describe real differences that exist in the world, but they
also create external values when there are no such things. I will give you
an example of this by using a movie projector.

Here is a smooth white wall in a dark room with nothing on it. I
am dropping a negative plate or slide into the projector, flipping the
switch, and just take a look — there is a picture of a girl on the wall.
But go up and touch her. All you feel is the wall itself because the girl
is not there. We have been doing the same thing with our brain
regarding values. The differences in substance were not only divided
up by the use of words like man, woman, child, etc., but became a
screen upon which we were able to project this value. Drop a negative
plate or word slide in your brain projector and flip the switch. Well
just take a look, there is now a beautiful girl, a homely man, an ugly
duckling! Turn off the switch (remove the negative plate or word
slide) and all you see are the differences in substance because the
projected values have been removed.

Since we were taught that the
eyes receive and transmit sense experience on the waves of light it was
impossible to deny that this beautiful girl actually existed and was a
part of the real world; and when we changed the standard hidden in
the word, all we did was change the screen. By saying that this person
may not be beautiful physically but has a beautiful soul, we were
allowed to see ugly souls as if they, too, existed externally. Scientists,
believing that the eyes were a sense organ, unconsciously confirmed
what man saw with them because they were unaware that it was
possible to project a fallacious relation realistically. Consequently
everything in the external world will be distorted if the words through
which man looks at what he calls reality are inaccurate symbols or if
the relation which is photographed becomes, as in the five senses, an
inaccurate negative which is then projected realistically upon
undeniable substance.

The word ‘beautiful’ has absolutely no external
reality and yet because it is learned in association with a particular
physiognomy a beautiful girl is created, when no such person exists.
Obviously there is a difference between the shape and features of
individuals but to label one beautiful and another ugly only reveals
that you are conscious of a fallacious difference that is projected
through your eyes upon substance that cannot be denied — which
makes the projection appear real.

By having the words beautiful, ugly,
gorgeous, etc. as slides in a movie projector through which the brain
will look at the external world, a fallacious value is placed upon certain
specific differences only because of the words which is then confirmed
as a part of the real world since man will swear that he sees beautiful
women with his eyes, but in actual reality all he sees are different
shapes and different features. This so-called beautiful girl is not
striking his optic nerve which then allows him to see her beauty but
instead he projects the word onto these differences and then
photographs a fallacious relation. The brain records all relations,
whether true or false, and since it was considered an indisputable fact
that man had five senses which were connected in some way with the
external world and since four of these were accurately described as
sense organs, that is, they receive and transmit external stimuli, it was
very easy for Aristotle to get confused and put a closure on further
investigation by including the eyes in the definition, which he did only
because he never understood their true function.
You were right. That was not at all useful. All this shows is that neither you nor Lessans have understood that the projection of values is a psychological rather than a physiological process.
Angakuk (09-01-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're just going back to the afferent model, which is the very thing that is under debate. The brain in a mammal would still have to interpret what it is seeing, even if the eyes were efferent, but this involves language. That is why a dog cannot identify his master from a picture. The light from the picture is not striking his retina and being interpreted in his brain, for if this were the case he would immediately recognize his master.
You still aren't explaining how efferent vision in dogs is meant to explain their alleged inability to recognize faces. If the photograph is there in the dog's visual range, then why can't the dog just look out through his eyes as a window to see and recognize it? Where does language come into it? My memory of my mother's face is not stored linguistically via any kind of representation using language. If I were to describe her face I would have to stop and think about it, by recalling a mental image and trying to describe that. So facial recognition obviously does not rely upon words.
But it does.
No, it doesn't. What evidence do you have that our memory for and mental representation of faces is linguistically-based? This is quite obviously false. Facial recognition is based on mental imagery, not words, and once again your only grounds for thinking otherwise is 'My daddy said so!'. How ridiculous is that?
LadyShea (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
This is a necessary truth. It is not a contingent truth. If it was, it would not be a universal law, and I would not be struggling to bring this knowledge to light.
Wrong again. Gravity is a universal law, but it is still a contingent rather than a necessary truth. Obviously you still don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about when it comes to these terms.
Angakuk (09-01-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
[There are many reasons why you might not have typed this on the computer, but the fact is... YOU DID, and if you understood the first thing about Lessans' demonstration, you would know that once the choice was made, it could never have been otherwise. Before it could be, but not after.
You have no idea how stupid you sound. You do not even understand that you are contradicting yourself.

1. "Before it could be [different], but not after."

2. "It could never have been otherwise."

:lol:

In case you didn't notice, these are mutually contradictory claims.

Also, you contend that a propositional truth changes its modal status from contingent to necessary, which, as has been explained to you, is not possible. So sorry, wrong again! :wave:
No, I'm not wrong. Once we make a choice, it could not have been otherwise because we can only go in one direction each and every moment of time, but that does not mean we can't contemplate which choice is more preferable after weighing the pros and cons, before making a decision. You have a block toward this knowledge, and it can't be penetrated. :(
:lol: That is not what you said. You are now changing your tune. You originally said that before a choice is made, it could be different from what it will be. It could go either way. See? Let's look again at what your wrote:

Quote:
1. "Before it could be [different], but not after."

2. "It could never have been otherwise."
Before it could be different! But after the fact, it could not have been different, before the fact! These are mutally contradictory claims. They cannot both be correct.

Now, in your latest post, the one to which I am currently responding, you are changing your tune. You are saying it's possible to contemplate making a different choice before the fact, not actually make a different choice, from what you will in fact make.

Of course, this claim has no evidence whatsoever to support it. And no, Lessans did not present a coherent argument to demonstrate it.

And if you continue to insist that an act can be contingent before the fact but becomes necessary after the fact, you continue to commit the modal fallacy, in particular violating the principle of modal fixity. So sorry!
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-01-2012), But (09-03-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have people backing me up as we speak, and these individuals are not gullible, easily impressed people. Do you think I'm going to divulge who these people are? No way. I will wait for them to divulge their identify when the time is right. In fact, in many circles they are very well known, so don't be too quick to throw this discovery out now that others are getting involved.
Don't lie to us, Peacegirl. It makes you look silly. You know as well as we do that you have yet to convince a single person anywhere that Lessans' ideas have any validity or value.
You're wrong Spacemonkey.
No, I'm not.
I know your being wrong is difficult for you to accept, but I can't break it to you any easier. #1: Regardless of how many people have acknowledged this discovery, this proves nothing regarding its validity (I'm surprised that you would use this as proof), and #2 this is not a matter of convincing. Either you have the ability to grasp these principles or you don't. Unfortunately for you, you don't. :(
Why should I accept your claim that I am wrong, when you do nothing more than assert that this is so? And where did I uses this as proof of the invalidity of Lessans' ideas? I didn't. I simply pointed out that you know as well as we do that you are lying to us about your imaginary supporters. They do not exist, and you know it. You have yet to convince a single person anywhere that Lessans' ideas have any validity or value.
I'm not staying for long because I am having a hard time stomaching the unnecessary comments people make. They think that because it's a free-for-all forum, that anything goes even if it ruins a productive conversation. I can't control what people say, but it will prevent me from desiring to continue. Even you Spacemonkey say things that are unnecessary, like his non-discovery. What's your point in saying this, when you don't really know, other than trying to make him wrong, before you even know whether this discovery is valid?

You are trying to use the fact that no one has embraced this book as some kind of proof that this knowledge is inaccurate. There is no other reason for bringing it up. I know you will try to weazel your way out of this (you always do; you never take any responsibility for anything), but the truth is you want him to be wrong. You and David can't stand that science may have made a mistake. And, btw, I have repeatedly said that very few people (except on these forums) even know this book exists. I did not lie when I said there is someone in academia who is very interested in this book. How can you judge who will be interested when very few people know about it, and the ones who do have not even read the book in its entirety, and have their own agenda? You are so convinced that Lessans is wrong that you are trying desperately to get others to not be interested. But it won't happen because the principles are spot on, and people will see intuitively that these principles work.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 09-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As per usual, your (loaded) question has been repeatedly answered, but you've paid no attention at all to the responses. Remember prosopagnosia? Do you understand our point in bringing it up?
Not really. Obviously, the brain has to interpret what it is seeing, and if something is wrong in the brain, there will be a deficit. It would be the same if we were talking about the sense of smell, taste, touch, or hearing. That part of the brain must be working for any type of recognition to occur.
Prosopagnosia shows that there is a part of the human brain responsible for facial recognition which when damaged can prevent a subject from recognizing faces even when the subject can see perfectly well. So if the canine brain had never evolved or developed this part of the brain, then dogs would be unable to recognize faces even if their eyes were afferent sense organs.

Quote:
Quote:
The sense of sight isn't different from the other senses in the way that you seem to think. There is no discrepancy to explain.
That's your opinion.
The difference is that my opinion is supported by facts and evidence, while yours is supported only by your own fundamentalist faith.
Don't go there again Spacemonkey. You're looking very foolish. I can't help that you don't see the relations involved, but that does not make Lessans wrong. I can see your angst because you believe if you don't get it, it can't be right. You're thinking too highly of yourself in that regard, I'm sorry to say. I'm not trying to put you down, but you're forcing my hand.
Apparently I'm forcing your hand by making you resort to non sequitur ad hominem responses by presenting points that you cannot address. Once more:

"Prosopagnosia shows that there is a part of the human brain responsible for facial recognition which when damaged can prevent a subject from recognizing faces even when the subject can see perfectly well. So if the canine brain had never evolved or developed this part of the brain, then dogs would be unable to recognize faces even if their eyes were afferent sense organs."
That's a reasonable sounding theory, just like it's a reasonable sounding theory that the ciliary muscle is undeveloped in infants, which is the reason their eyes can't focus well. I'm sorry if you resent him for coming to the conclusions he did based on his astute observations (not mere assertions); just because they are different from yours. This inself does not make him wrong.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You are trying to use the fact that no one has embraced this book as some kind of proof that this knowledge is inaccurate. There is no other reason for bringing it up.
Nope, it proves only that neither the book nor your defense of it is convincing to people.

Quote:
people will see intuitively that these principles work.
This hasn't happened to date, why not? "Very few people" is still dozens across many different forums over a number of years.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's your opinion.

That's a reasonable sounding theory, just like it's a reasonable sounding theory that the ciliary muscle is undeveloped in infants, which is the reason their eyes can't focus well. I'm sorry if you resent him for coming to the conclusions he did based on his astute observations (not mere assertions); just because they are different from yours. This inself does not make him wrong.
He never empirically observed the eyes or brain and simply asserted that science had it wrong and that he had it right.

That doesn't make him wrong, no, the fact that all evidence is against his ideas indicates he was wrong.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Was Lessans a dog expert? Are you? Then perhaps neither of you are in a position to determine what facial recognition in dogs might look like
Kujala MV, Kujala J, Carlson S, Hari R (2012) Dog Experts' Brains Distinguish Socially Relevant Body Postures Similarly in Dogs and Humans. PLoS ONE 7(6): e39145. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039145

Humans with autism are often face blind (Prosopagnosia), even with a working fusiform gyrus. If there is variable facial recognition abilities amongst humans, why should one expect dogs to recognize faces?
Jim Tanaka - Centre for Biomedical Research
Quote:
Tanaka's collaborator, Dr. Bob Schultz, formerly of Yale Child Study Centre and now at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, showed that when kids with autism see a face, the fusiform gyrus is not activated. But that doesn't mean their fusiform gyri aren't working. In fact, kids with autism seem to be inordinately good at distinguishing ordinary objects, like washing machine brands or obscure trading cards. Moreover, when they see an object of obsession, the fusiform gyrus is activated. "This is important because it is not some organic dysfunction of the fusiform gyrus; it is just that faces don't engage the fusiform gyrus. So maybe we can engage the fusiform gyrus by training up their face recognition skills," reasoned Tanaka.
Hmm, looks like facial recognition is one step in a process, and that determining whether that face is alive is a secondary process.
Quote:
Here, we show that only responses in the inferior occipital gyrus are organized by global facial form alone (human vs dog) while animacy becomes an additional organizational priority in later face-processing regions: the lateral fusiform gyri (latFG) and right superior temporal sulcus. Additionally, patterns evoked by human faces were maximally distinct from all other face categories in the latFG and parts of the extended face perception system. These results suggest that once a face configuration is perceived, faces are further scrutinized for whether the face is alive and worthy of social cognitive resources. Multivoxel patterns in face-sensitive temporal regions reveal an encoding schema based on detecting life in a face
So upon seeing a photograph, a dog's brain may determine that it is not alive and therefore not worthy of social cognitive resources (meaning not worthy of responding to). After all if it's not a threat, nor is it food, nor is it something that can be interacted with, why waste the energy required (and the brain uses TONS of energy) to respond to it?

In fact, back in February seebs then I even offered the view that a dog may not respond to a photograph any more than a human might strike up a conversation with one. That the dog's brain determines photographs are not worthy of additional brain resources in the social response arena, and therefore even if they do recognize the face they wouldn't respond to it in any way, is a good possible answer for your question from back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Even if dogs see more clearly at 75 feet, it would be easy to set up an experiment where a huge billboard with their master's features are displayed. What would be the reason for these dogs not to be able to identify their masters features?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-01-2012), Spacemonkey (09-01-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You are trying to use the fact that no one has embraced this book as some kind of proof that this knowledge is inaccurate. There is no other reason for bringing it up.
Nope, it proves only that neither the book nor your defense of it is convincing to people.
Because they are using this as a some kind of proof that he is wrong without attempting to read the book. People are following the many threads, and coming to very weird conclusions. It just shows how dangerous it can be to follow the crowd.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
This hasn't happened to date, why not? "Very few people" is still dozens across many different forums over a number of years.
There you go again, using what has happened to me through the years (which has nothing to do with the veracity of this knowledge), against me. You are one of the followers, and you don't even see it.

I used the word intuitively for a reason. Please look the definition up.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's your opinion.

He never empirically observed the eyes or brain and simply asserted that science had it wrong and that he had it right.

That doesn't make him wrong, no, the fact that all evidence is against his ideas indicates he was wrong.
That's not how he came to these conclusions. I've said this umpteen times, but you fail to recognize this because YOU DON'T WANT HIM TO BE RIGHT. It's really as simple as that.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
In both cases (whether by picture or in real life), the image of the master would be traveling to the dog's eyes (an afferent experience) and being interpreted in the dog's brain, which is what science believes is occurring.
Also, this old statement of yours is addressed by this research

Quote:
These results suggest that once a face configuration is perceived, faces are further scrutinized for whether the face is alive and worthy of social cognitive resources. Multivoxel patterns in face-sensitive temporal regions reveal an encoding schema based on detecting life in a face
If the dog's brain interprets the photograph as "not alive", then that would indicate a different response (or even non response) to a photograph than to a real person.

If the dog doesn't respond, or responds differently to the person than to the photograph, how could a human researcher know whether it is due to not recognizing the face (as you claim), or due to recognizing the face and also recognizing that it is not its master but an inanimate object not worth interacting with?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-01-2012), But (09-03-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's your opinion.

That's not how he came to these conclusions. I've said this umpteen times, but you fail to recognize this because YOU DON'T WANT HIM TO BE RIGHT. It's really as simple as that.
He came to his conclusions in a way that provides no evidence. I recognize that...and that is what I was pointing out

Evidence wins with me as it does with most critical thinkers, as I've said umpteen times.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because they are using this as a some kind of proof that he is wrong without attempting to read the book. .
I just said that it is not proof he was wrong. That was my exact statement. Nobody else thinks its proof that he was wrong.

He could have been 100% right, but his ideas are not convincing and neither are yours. As I said

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There you go again, using what has happened to me through the years (which has nothing to do with the veracity of this knowledge), against me. You are one of the followers, and you don't even see it.

I know what intuitively means. Are we (those you've interacted over the years) not people? If we are people, and we have not seen intuitively that these principles work, then your statement seems to be disproven.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
FYI, Peacegirl is logged on at Dissadent Philosophy where she had posted before coming here. Perhaps she is trolling her old forums looking for someone to talk to, but Dissadent Philosophy is Closed for now.
Wrong again doc, as usual. The reason I logged in to this forum is because I got an email telling me there was a private message. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because they are using this as a some kind of proof that he is wrong without attempting to read the book. .
I just said that it is not proof he was wrong. That was my exact statement. Nobody else thinks its proof that he was wrong.

He could have been 100% right, but his ideas are not convincing and neither are yours. As I said

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what intuitively means. Are we (those you've interacted over the years) not people? If we are people, and we have not seen intuitively that these principles work, then your statement seems to be disproven.
Not at all. It means that you never read the book to see how these principles work, and how war can actually be prevented. You could care less because you are more interested in being right at all costs, even at the cost of peace.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy