Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Ladyshea, please don't start taking on Spacemonkey's mannerisms by repeating the same thing over and over again in the same exact way.
It's not a mannerism. It's simply what you can expect to happen when you repeatedly evade and ignore the questions you are actually asked.

Quote:
I just told you that white light travels and is constantly taking the place of old photons. When light strikes an object some gets absorbed which allows the object to be seen, but it's a misconception to think that non-absorbed light travels. Only the full spectrum of light travels.
Once more you've regressed to a position you had previously acknowledged to be wrong. What happens to this non-absorbed light that has just hit an object if it is incapable of traveling? What does it do instead? Does it float there stationary at the surface of the object? Does it instantaneously teleport to some other location? Does it cease to exist? What does it do if it still exists but doesn't stay there and doesn't go anywhere else?
Angakuk (06-17-2012), LadyShea (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You missed the entire point I was making. No one knows what could have been if one had not gone a particular route. What I am saying is that the route he took allowed him to make a discovery that he otherwise might not have. So it turns out that the direction he took was a good thing. Making a discovery does not require one to go to college. It could actually put a lid on what one desires to learn because a person could be satisfied with what he was taught, and never think outside of the box. On the other hand, going to college doesn't preclude someone from making a discovery. How one achieves knowledge is not dependent on any one method. In other words, it's not how something is achieved; it's what is achieved that matters. It just so happened that Lessans took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.
If your father had actually made any discoveries then you might nearly have a point. But he didn't.

Where were those red photons at the film just a moment before the object turned red and the photograph was taken?

Where did Lessans support his listed presuppositions about conscience?

And are you presently in institutional care of any sort, or have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental health related condition?

:weasel: in 3... 2... 1...
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that light travels, has a wavelength, and is absorbed, but I don't agree that non-absorbed light bounces off of objects and the photons strike the retina or film after traversing a certain distance.
So then what do you think happens to the photons that hit an object and are not absorbed?

I ask because you have previously agreed that they bounce off and travel away from the object. So long as they do this, then nothing is stopping them from hitting a film or retina placed in their path.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree with number five. You are assuming that the non-absorbed light is reflected.
What happens to it if it is not reflected? (To say that it is reflected means only that it bounces off and travels away. This is something you have agreed with.)

Quote:
Yes, light is light, and photons are always being replaced, so there's no violation here...
Where did the photons go that got replaced?

Quote:
...but there is an assumption that this pattern of light gets reflected and travels, which is a fallacy if Lessans is right.
You've also previously agreed that a pattern of light gets reflected and travels. What prevents red photons from bouncing off and traveling away from the red parts of an object while blue photons bounce off and travel away from the blue parts of the object?

Quote:
White light travels and we see objects because of light, but light doesn't travel and bring the pattern or image or non-absorbed wavelength light to us.
"Pattern", "image", "light", and "wavelength" are NOT synonyms.

Only light travels. The wavelength is a property of the light. The light can travel in a pattern. That pattern is not an image. The pattern is not anything over and above or distinct from the light itself.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Speaking of sports, just think: One more page, and this retarded thread will number as many home runs as Hank Aaron hit. :yup:

Is there a 'Hall of Fame' for that, or is it the 'Hall of Shame' in this case?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Because blowing up cities for one's gain is not a means to an end that most people would find conscionable.

But think of all those people in the weapons industry that you are putting out of work.

And the people in the bombed cities that you are putting out of work, (and life, if that matters to anyone).
Old 06-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But it doesn't change properties (snipped irrelevant points)
You are saying non-absorbed light has different properties than light or white light in your model. That is a change in the properties of light according to physics, specifically optics. That means your model requires a change in the properties of light.

You are saying non-absorbed light with it's different properties doesn't get reflected, which all light has the same properties and can therefore be reflected according to the laws of physics. That is a violation of the laws of physics, specifically the laws of reflection. That means your model requires a change in the laws of physics.

Since this is the case:

Question 1: Why do you keep insisting your model does not violate physics?

Question 2: Why do you keep asserting your model does not require a change in the properties of light?
Ladyshea, please don't start taking on Spacemonkey's mannerisms by repeating the same thing over and over again in the same exact way.

I just told you that white light travels and is constantly taking the place of old photons. When light strikes an object some gets absorbed which allows the object to be seen, but it's a misconception to think that non-absorbed light travels. Only the full spectrum of light travels.
Quit not answering the questions you are asked and I won't repeat my questions

Question 1: Why do you keep insisting your model does not violate physics when it clearly does?

Question 2: Why do you keep asserting your model does not require a change in the properties of light when it clearly does?
I answered them. Light is reflected, but images are not. You know what I mean by this, so call it a strawman all you want. Nothing is violated.
I don't know what you mean because you are not saying what you mean in a way that makes sense as an answer to my questions

Your statements:
1. Light is reflected
2. Non-absorbed light is not reflected
3. Light travels
4. Non-absorbed light does not travel

Non-absorbed light has different properties than light in your model. Non-absorbed light in your model does not follow the laws of physics that light follows.

There is no such differentiation between light and non-absorbed light in optics, therefore this differentiation in your model requires a change in the properties of light and violates the laws of physics as found within optics

So, since you are still not answering the questions at all

Question 1: Why do you keep insisting your model does not violate physics when it clearly does?

Question 2: Why do you keep asserting your model does not require a change in the properties of light when it clearly does?
Thanks, from:
But (06-17-2012), Spacemonkey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Really, like no-one else was out of line telling her she was crazy, practicing medicine without a degree? I've said all along she's in it for the money, if that isn't whoreing what is it?
It's misogynistic and therefore crosses a line, for me. Would you call a man who was "in it for the money" a whore?

You can say whatever you want and I can call you on it.
In the consulting industry, those that do it for the money are often called "hoews" and and those that manage them "pmps".
Oh really? I thought that those who were making money from their own sweat and brawn were helping to get the economy going. You are in a world of your own making.
In a world of automation and mechanization, people who make their living by physical labor do not make much money unless they are performers of some kind. But I don't think paying professional athletes multi-million dollar salaries for their ability to score points in a game a good way to help the economy.
Regardless of whether you think it's a fair distribution of money for labor, the fact remains that spectator sports keeps a lot of people working.
Well why stop there? Let's build bombs and blow up cities. It removes the competition, reduces the population, so more global resources for us, and it employs people.
Because blowing up cities for one's gain is not a means to an end that most people would find conscionable.
So paying billions to athletes to play a game that most would play for free is a better way to stimulate the economy and a good use of the money? If you really want to get the economy going by spending money stupidly, there is nothing like a full out war. And unlike athletics, you can count on some of it being spent to fund science for super weapons that will also happen to advance science that can help people after the idiocy has ended.
This discovery is about peace, not war, so I'm not interested in how war can stimulate the economy.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are saying non-absorbed light has different properties than light or white light in your model. That is a change in the properties of light according to physics, specifically optics. That means your model requires a change in the properties of light.

You are saying non-absorbed light with it's different properties doesn't get reflected, which all light has the same properties and can therefore be reflected according to the laws of physics. That is a violation of the laws of physics, specifically the laws of reflection. That means your model requires a change in the laws of physics.

Since this is the case:

Question 2: Why do you keep asserting your model does not require a change in the properties of light?

I answered them. Light is reflected, but images are not. You know what I mean by this, so call it a strawman all you want. Nothing is violated.
I don't know what you mean because you are not saying what you mean in a way that makes sense as an answer to my questions

Your statements:
1. Light is reflected
3. Light travels

Non-absorbed light has different properties than light in your model. Non-absorbed light in your model does not follow the laws of physics that light follows.

There is no such differentiation between light and non-absorbed light in optics, therefore this differentiation in your model requires a change in the properties of light and violates the laws of physics as found within optics

I told you the only change is that light does not bring us the image without the object being present because that's not how we see. WE DON'T INTERPRET THE IMAGE FROM LIGHT. WE SEE OBJECTS BECAUSE OF LIGHT. If this is true then you're starting out with a false premise. So no matter how many times you ask me this question, you're not going to be happy with the answer. Therefore, you'll just have to wait until more empirical testing is done.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Really, like no-one else was out of line telling her she was crazy, practicing medicine without a degree? I've said all along she's in it for the money, if that isn't whoreing what is it?
It's misogynistic and therefore crosses a line, for me. Would you call a man who was "in it for the money" a whore?

In the consulting industry, those that do it for the money are often called "hoews" and and those that manage them "pmps".
Oh really? I thought that those who were making money from their own sweat and brawn were helping to get the economy going. You are in a world of your own making.
In a world of automation and mechanization, people who make their living by physical labor do not make much money unless they are performers of some kind. But I don't think paying professional athletes multi-million dollar salaries for their ability to score points in a game a good way to help the economy.
Regardless of whether you think it's a fair distribution of money for labor, the fact remains that spectator sports keeps a lot of people working.
Well why stop there? Let's build bombs and blow up cities. It removes the competition, reduces the population, so more global resources for us, and it employs people.
So paying billions to athletes to play a game that most would play for free is a better way to stimulate the economy and a good use of the money? If you really want to get the economy going by spending money stupidly, there is nothing like a full out war. And unlike athletics, you can count on some of it being spent to fund science for super weapons that will also happen to advance science that can help people after the idiocy has ended.
This discovery is about peace, not war, so I'm not interested in how war can stimulate the economy.
So you think paying athletes to play games like football which deliberately creates rivalries many of which has resulted in fan violence not to mention the violence inherent in the game is okay?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
I told you the only change is that light does not bring us the image without the object being present because that's not how we see.
Suppose that we accept that claim. Will you now deign to tell us what you think happens to the unabsorbed portion of the light that strikes an object after it has struck the object?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I told you the only change is that light does not bring us the image without the object being present because that's not how we see. WE DON'T INTERPRET THE IMAGE FROM LIGHT. WE SEE OBJECTS BECAUSE OF LIGHT. If this is true then you're starting out with a false premise. So no matter how many times you ask me this question, you're not going to be happy with the answer. Therefore, you'll just have to wait until more empirical testing is done.
You clearly don't have the faintest idea what you're claiming anymore. You're obviously just making it up as you go along, as it keeps changing with every post. Is non-absorbed light reflected or not? What happens to it if it isn't? Where was the light at the film just before the photograph was taken? You don't know, do you? You can't answer any of these questions.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So you think paying athletes to play games like football which deliberately creates rivalries many of which has resulted in fan violence not to mention the violence inherent in the game is okay?
Fan violence isn't okay if it causes disruption or hurts others, but if people want to participate in a game of sports knowing the inherent risks (and hopefully taking the proper precautions), then that's a completely different situation.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You clearly don't have the faintest idea what you're claiming anymore. You're obviously just making it up as you go along, as it keeps changing with every post. Is non-absorbed light reflected or not? What happens to it if it isn't? Where was the light at the film just before the photograph was taken? You don't know, do you? You can't answer any of these questions.
If that's what you think, then let this discussion go. I'm not invested in proving anything to you. I don't need your permission to believe what I want to believe, and you can call it fundamentalism all you want. You are just frustrated because you don't see how this model is plausible based on your logistics, so you want answers. But whether or not you recognize its plausibility, doesn't change the reality that we see in real time if Lessans turns out to be right.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
I told you the only change is that light does not bring us the image without the object being present because that's not how we see.
Suppose that we accept that claim. Will you now deign to tell us what you think happens to the unabsorbed portion of the light that strikes an object after it has struck the object?
I told you that white light travels, so when the non-absorbed light fades out due to the dispersion of photons (the inverse square law), this non-absorbed light does not travel on forever. White light continues on through space and time which comprises the non-absorbed part of the visual spectrum.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If that's what you think, then let this discussion go. I'm not invested in proving anything to you. I don't need your permission to believe what I want to believe, and you can call it fundamentalism all you want. You are just frustrated because you don't see how this model is plausible based on your logistics, so you want answers. But whether or not you recognize its plausibility, doesn't change the reality that we see in real time if Lessans turns out to be right.
Why do you keep throwing a hissy fit whenever you are asked simple questions about your own claims?

Simple questions from the above post which YOU JUST WEASELED out of answering:

Is non-absorbed light reflected or not? What happens to it if it isn't? Where was the light at the film just before the photograph was taken?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I told you that white light travels, so when the non-absorbed light fades out due to the dispersion of photons (the inverse square law), this non-absorbed light does not travel on forever. White light continues on through space and time which comprises the non-absorbed part of the visual spectrum.
Non-absorbed light cannot fade out or disperse unless it gets reflected and travels away from the object. So are you admitting once more that non-absorbed light gets reflected and travels away from the object?

And neither dispersion nor the inverse square law says that the non-absorbed light doesn't travel on forever. If you are claiming that it only travels for some finite distance after being reflected, then YOU are making a change to optics and the basic physics of light. Do you acknowledge this?
Angakuk (06-18-2012), LadyShea (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Non-absorbed light cannot fade out or disperse unless it gets reflected and travels away from the object. So are you admitting once more that non-absorbed light gets reflected and travels away from the object?
How many times do I have to say that I agree with that? And that non-absorbed light that is at the retina is constantly being replaced by new light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
And neither dispersion nor the inverse square law says that the non-absorbed light doesn't travel on forever. If you are claiming that it only travels for some finite distance after being reflected, then YOU are making a change to optics and the basic physics of light. Do you acknowledge this?
But that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we're not going to get an image from that dispersed light as it goes beyond the point where it can be resolved. That's all I'm saying.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
How many times do I have to say that I agree with that? And that non-absorbed light that is at the retina is constantly being replaced by new light.
It doesn't matter how many times you say it, when 5 minutes later you start denying it again. When this new light replaces the old light at the retina, how did it get there? Did it travel there at light speed? Where was it 0.0001sec before it replaces the old light at the retina?

Quote:
But that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we're not going to get an image from that dispersed light as it goes beyond the point where it can be resolved. That's all I'm saying.
Flip flop flip flop. So now you agree that that the nonabsorbed light does get reflected, does travel away, and does continue traveling away indefinitely? So then why do you keep denying these things?

Do you also agree that this nonabsorbed light travels away from the object in a pattern with red light traveling away from the red parts of the object, and blue light traveling away from the blue parts of the object?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Since this is the case:

Your statements:
1. Light is reflected
3. Light travels

All I am asking is why you keep insisting your model is compatible with physics and optics when it is clearly not. You keep answering some other questions I have not asked.

Why won't you answer the questions asked? Do you feel dishonesty and weaseling puts Lessans in a good light?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why do you keep throwing a hissy fit whenever you are asked simple questions about your own claims?

Simple questions from the above post which YOU JUST WEASELED out of answering:

Is non-absorbed light reflected or not? What happens to it if it isn't? Where was the light at the film just before the photograph was taken?
No, it's not reflected. White light is reflected.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Since this is the case:

Your statements:
1. Light is reflected
3. Light travels

All I am asking is why you keep insisting your model is compatible with physics and optics when it is clearly not. You keep answering some other questions I have not asked.

Why won't you answer the questions asked? Do you feel dishonesty and weaseling puts Lessans in a good light?
I answer every question, but because it doesn't fit into your logic, you say I didn't answer the question. Talk about circular reasoning. :chin:
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 PM

I asked you quite clearly why you keep making specific statement. You have not answered the question. You have not stated your reasoning as to why you've made those statement repeatedly.

Explaining your model does not answer the questions asked.

Your model has substantial disagreement with optics and physics, specifically in the ways I've pointed out. Why won't you acknowledge this disagreement instead of stating it doesn't exist?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I asked you quite clearly why you keep making specific statement. You have not answered the question. You have not stated your reasoning as to why you've made those statement repeatedly.

Explaining your model does not answer the questions asked.

Your model has substantial disagreement with optics and physics, specifically in the ways I've pointed out. Why won't you acknowledge this disagreement instead of stating it doesn't exist?
Of course there is disagreement or there wouldn't be any controversy. I told you that light travels, but light itself will not resolve an image unless the object is present, so if we can't see the object with our very eyes, light will not produce an image. Sorry LadyShea, but you're wrong. I have a feeling that you are here to be the winner. I know this because if I leave here, you would never be interested in buying the book (on kindle) or the mp3 which would cost pennies. I really want to know the truth, because it will help me to know how to proceed. Thank you for your help in this matter.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Look, if I was insisting rhesus monkeys are canines, and at the same time denying that my classification violated current taxonomy standards, wouldn't you wonder why I was denying that very clear fact?

Whatever I think about rhesus monkeys, even if I am correct, does not change the absolute fact that they are not classified as canines by science currently. I would be stupid to say that my categorization as a canine would not require a change in currently understood taxonomy

Whatever you think about non-absorbed light, even if it is correct, does not change the absolute fact that it does not match the currently accepted properties of light and laws of physics. You are stupid to say that your model does not require a change in currently understood physics.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-18-2012), But (06-17-2012), Spacemonkey (06-17-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy