Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The role of light is different than what science claims, if efferent vision is true.
Science doesn't talk about light having a "role", science has determined that light has properties and what those properties are.

Are you stating that science is wrong about the properties of light? If so, then you are indeed positing new laws of physics. Why not just admit it instead of asserting that there are no violations in your model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Light does not travel independently of the object.
This is positing new properties of light and therefore new laws of physics.
I can't worry about what science says. Scientists are made up of human beings, and they are fallible. The only thing that proves that something is true are not the scientists; it is the facts that back something up. Science doesn't have a monopoly on truth just because they say something is right. You give more credit to the scientists than to the facts, even though you are blind to this.

You have asserted dozens of times that your model does not violate laws of physics, you have stated your model does not require a change in the properties of light, you have stated your model is consistent with optics.

Why do you keep making these statements when clearly your model does violate laws of physics, does require a change in the properties of light, and is inconsistent with optics?
No it does not violate the laws of physics when coming from the inside out, not the outside in, which I've said before. You are the one not understanding why this account doesn't violate anything. Furthermore, this model is consistent with optics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Why are you now saying it doesn't matter what science thinks when you have been trying to keep within the realm of the possible and within known scientific parameters all this time? You say you want facts, well physics deals with facts and your model seems to require different facts than those that are empirically observed and tested.
It doesn't matter what science thinks if science has it wrong. I said that scientists are human beings and can make mistakes. Yes, physics deals with facts, or at least tries to. That's why I'm appealing to scientists, but it's going to be a hard road ahead. I can see that. Just remember, empirical observations can be misleading.

Quote:
Again, why not just admit that your model requires changes in all of these fields instead of asserting that there are no violations or inconsistencies with observed reality in your model?
I don't see any inconsistencies because the speed of light doesn't change one iota. Optics doesn't change one iota. The only thing that changes is the direction in which we see.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
I don't see any inconsistencies because the speed of light doesn't change one iota. Optics doesn't change one iota. The only thing that changes is the direction in which we see.
How about the location and behavior of photons? Does that change by a few iotas?
LadyShea (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm doing my best, but it might be good enough for you to get it. That still doesn't mean this model is wrong.
Try harder, answer my questions. Is this really your best? Avoiding direct questions and moving the goalposts and saying crazy things like "There is no fraction of a second ago"?
I didn't say there is no fraction of a second ago. I said this fraction of time doesn't come into play in efferent vision.
liar
Quote:
Quote:
LOL peacegirl. So what did this statement mean?

Quote:
There is no fraction of a second before
Exactly what I said.
Quote:
Quote:
I am asking you about the locations of photons that must exist for a photographic image to be created on camera film.
In efferent vision the photons are at the eye even though the light hasn't traveled to Earth. .
Weasel. I am talking about camera film. Photons must exist and must be located on the surface of camera film for a photographic image to be created.

Are you saying the photons that are on the surface of camera film, which is on Earth, are not actually on Earth?

Quote:
This is because of the conditions that allow this to occur.
This is meaningless as it can be used for anything, including nonsense, and explains absolutely nothing as the conditions are not specified.

"Hurricanes happen because of the conditions that allow it to occur" well great, and true, but do we know anything about the conditions that allow hurricanes to occur from this statement?

"Unicorns can exist in our world undetected because of the conditions that allow this to occur" Really? And what are those conditions? Is this likely to be a true statement? It can't be refuted without the conditions being spelled out, so it might be true! More testing needs to be done!

Quote:
You are not understanding why this model does not violate physics
That's because you keep making statements about your model that violate physics.

For a recent example just above, it would be a huge violation of physics for photons that haven't come to be on Earth by any physical mechanism to be located on the surface of Earth-bound camera film.

Quote:
Quote:
They must be located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photograph is taken.
They are.
Great! So next question, how do they get there?
Quote:
Quote:
In your model, what was the location of those specific photons a fraction of a second prior to them being located on the surface of the camera film?
Quote:
There is no before because these photons are not traveling from point A to point B.
They had to have a prior location unless they came into spontaneous existence on the surface of the camera film.

Remember, photons are quanta of electromagnetic energy. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed so spontaneously poofing into existence on the surface of camera film is eliminated unless you violate physics.

1. What was the prior location of the photons that are located on the surface of camera film a fraction of a second before a photograph was taken.

2. How does the light get to the surface of the camera film from its prior location if it hasn't traveled there and hasn't spontaneously poofed into existence at that location?

Quote:
Quote:
They have to be somewhere just before they are on the surface of camera film. Where is it?[/B]
They are at the film, but this image is not traveling to the film, or the eye.
I am not asking about an image I am asking about the photons located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photo is taken and their prior location.

You seem to be saying they have always and forever been located on the surface of the camera film.

Yeah, that would be a violation of physics
Since you don't think your model violates physics, please respond to this post. I highlighted and bolded the pertinent points most in need of response.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Lessans was just showing that in reality there is no such thing as the past. We live and die in the present. This is an observation that allowed him to show why there is absolutely nothing to fear in death, although it will always be painful to lose a loved one.
Well since I, and I am willing to bet most others here at :ff:, already knew there was nothing to fear in death I didn't need Lessans Germinal Substance and confused drivel about the word "past" for that.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
How about the location and behavior of photons? Does that change by a few iotas?
Nope, not at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Lessans was just showing that in reality there is no such thing as the past. We live and die in the present. This is an observation that allowed him to show why there is absolutely nothing to fear in death, although it will always be painful to lose a loved one.
Well since I, and I am willing to bet most others here at :ff:, already knew there was nothing to fear in death I didn't need Lessans Germinal Substance and confused drivel about the word "past" for that.
Well then don't read his work LadyShea. You are so resentful that he made an actual discovery, you just can't believe that it's true.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm doing my best, but it might be good enough for you to get it. That still doesn't mean this model is wrong.
Try harder, answer my questions. Is this really your best? Avoiding direct questions and moving the goalposts and saying crazy things like "There is no fraction of a second ago"?
I didn't say there is no fraction of a second ago. I said this fraction of time doesn't come into play in efferent vision.
liar
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Exactly what I said.
Quote:
Quote:
I am asking you about the locations of photons that must exist for a photographic image to be created on camera film.
In efferent vision the photons are at the eye even though the light hasn't traveled to Earth. .
Weasel. I am talking about camera film. Photons must exist and must be located on the surface of camera film for a photographic image to be created.

Are you saying the photons that are on the surface of camera film, which is on Earth, are not actually on Earth?

Quote:
This is meaningless as it can be used for anything, including nonsense, and explains absolutely nothing as the conditions are not specified.

"Hurricanes happen because of the conditions that allow it to occur" well great, and true, but do we know anything about the conditions that allow hurricanes to occur from this statement?

"Unicorns can exist in our world undetected because of the conditions that allow this to occur" Really? And what are those conditions? Is this likely to be a true statement? It can't be refuted without the conditions being spelled out, so it might be true! More testing needs to be done!

Quote:
That's because you keep making statements about your model that violate physics.

For a recent example just above, it would be a huge violation of physics for photons that haven't come to be on Earth by any physical mechanism to be located on the surface of Earth-bound camera film.

Quote:
Quote:
They must be located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photograph is taken.
They are.
Quote:
Quote:
In your model, what was the location of those specific photons a fraction of a second prior to them being located on the surface of the camera film?
Quote:
There is no before because these photons are not traveling from point A to point B.
They had to have a prior location unless they came into spontaneous existence on the surface of the camera film.

Remember, photons are quanta of electromagnetic energy. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed so spontaneously poofing into existence on the surface of camera film is eliminated unless you violate physics.

1. What was the prior location of the photons that are located on the surface of camera film a fraction of a second before a photograph was taken.

2. How does the light get to the surface of the camera film from its prior location if it hasn't traveled there and hasn't spontaneously poofed into existence at that location?

Quote:
Quote:
They have to be somewhere just before they are on the surface of camera film. Where is it?[/B]
I am not asking about an image I am asking about the photons located on the surface of camera film at the moment a photo is taken and their prior location.

You seem to be saying they have always and forever been located on the surface of the camera film.

Since you don't think your model violates physics, please respond to this post. I highlighted and bolded the pertinent points most in need of response.
You're coming from the position that Spacemonkey is coming from, and you will win using your logic. You are missing the entire model by what you're doing, and I'm not spending any more time explaining it. You will never be able to accept this model until someone else confirms it. Then you will say, "Oh, I can see that now." But not until then. And where do you come off telling me that his discovery on death is drivel just because you're not afraid of death? What does this have to do with the authenticity of his findings? Where in the world do you come off being so vindictive? :eek:
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, not at all.
Ah, it doesn't change at all! So on your model, the photons at the film which determine the color of the photograph traveled to get there, did they? And they were 0.0001sec previously at a position 30m from the film and traveling towards it, were they?
LadyShea (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
You're coming from the position that Spacemonkey is coming from...
That's odd, because I'm coming from YOUR position (according to which the photons at the film previously existed and had some other location).
LadyShea (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The role of light is different than what science claims, if efferent vision is true. You are trying to get me to admit that light travels and therefore if the non-absorbed light is red, we will get a red image on the film/retina before blue. That is the afferent position, and I don't agree that this is how it works.

Light does not travel independently of the object in efferent vision, which is what you are trying to get me to admit by thinking in terms of your logic. I do not subscribe to your logic.

Has nothing to do with the efferent account. Sorry about your frustration, but I can't answer you in a way that you want because it doesn't apply.

Answering your questions will continue to confound you as long as you keep thinking that the light travels to the film or eyes bringing the image through space/time (even though there is space between the eye and object; the inverse square law). This doesn't occur in the efferent account because there is no time involved when the eyes are a window to the world.
Alright. Let's start again, and I won't assume anything you don't agree to, okay? We'll discuss ONLY your account and how you say it works.

First questions:

1) On YOUR account, do photons exist?

2) On YOUR account, is (or was) there such a thing as the past?

3) On YOUR account, do cameras take photographs in real time?
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, in real-time photography, in a scenario involving only an object, a camera, and light (and no eyes, brains, or vision)...

1) You agree that some of the light which hits the object is not absorbed, still exists 0.0001sec after hitting the object, and must have a location at that time. So what is the location of these nonabsorbed photons 0.0001sec after they have hit the object? Are they about 30 meters from the object and traveling away from it at light speed? Yes or No? If no, then where are they located at this time?

2) You agree that there are photons at the camera film (interacting with it to determine the color of the resulting image) when the photograph is taken, that this light also existed 0.0001sec before the photograph was taken, and that it must have had a location at this time. So what is the location of these photons 0.0001sec before they are at the camera film (i.e. 0.0001sec before the photograph is taken)? Were they about 30 meters away from the camera film and traveling towards it at light speed? Yes or No? If no, then were were they located at this time?
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
1) Do you accept that you have significant memory impairment?

2) Are you presently in institutional care of any sort?

3) Have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental health related condition?

I'm still after an answer to these questions. Answer them once, honestly, and they will go away.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well then don't read his work LadyShea.
You won't let us read that chapter, and no, I am not buying the book just for that.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
liar
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Exactly what I said.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
They are.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You're coming from the position that Spacemonkey is coming from, and you will win using your logic. You are missing the entire model by what you're doing, and I'm not spending any more time explaining it.

It isn't "my logic" it's laws of physics, the properties of light, and optics. You are weaseling because you can't offer a model that is consistent with these things.

You have asserted dozens of times that your model does not violate laws of physics, you have stated your model does not require a change in the properties of light, you have stated your model is consistent with optics.

Why do you keep making these statements when clearly your model does violate laws of physics, does require a change in the properties of light, and is inconsistent with optics?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
You will never be able to accept this model until someone else confirms it. Then you will say, "Oh, I can see that now."
I don't need confirmation from someone else. If someone simply explains your model in a way that does not violate laws of physics, does not require a change in the properties of light, and is consistent with optics and is able to answer questions and remain consistent in those answers, then I will be happy to concede that the model is possible.

It would be great if you are that someone, but clearly you're not.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
You're coming from the position that Spacemonkey is coming from...
That's odd, because I'm coming from YOUR position (according to which the photons at the film previously existed and had some other location).
Unless you are schizophrenic you are not coming from peacegirls position.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
No it does not violate the laws of physics when coming from the inside out, not the outside in
The laws of physics would not change if our brains look out. The requirements for film photography would not change if our brains look out. The need for photons to have locations and physical mechanisms for coming to be at those locations would not change if our brains look out.

You need to account for the location of light photons in photography- including where exactly they were located previously and how they get to the surface of the camera film- to be consistent with the laws of physics and the known properties of light.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
No it does not violate the laws of physics when coming from the inside out, not the outside in
The laws of physics would not change if our brains look out.
This is probably the most basic mistake that Lessans has made. Information/energy must be flowing into the brain if it is to perceive anything from the outside. Both radar and sonar send out a signal but in order to work a reflected signal must return afferently. Light, velocity, nerve endings and brains aside, this is a fundamental flaw in Lessans scheme.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The laws of physics would not change if our brains look out.
This is probably the most basic mistake that Lessans has made. Information/energy must be flowing into the brain if it is to perceive anything from the outside. Both radar and sonar send out a signal but in order to work a reflected signal must return afferently. Light, velocity, nerve endings and brains aside, this is a fundamental flaw in Lessans scheme.
As was passing any of this on to his daughter.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 AM

Lessans seemed to think seeing was somehow a direct experience, not an incidence of perceiving.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Reality Adventurer

Even if it is a "direct" experience the information is afferent. The brain doesn't know what it's trying to find out, so information has to arrive/move to the brain. Fundamentally it must be afferent. The rest is working out the details.

But pointing any of this out to peacegirl is a waste of time. Repeat it as much as you like but her schizophrenia will always prevail with it's version of reality.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
This could be the source of Lessans confusion, Both of these sending out a signal (efferent) but sonar with an obvious delay and radar at a speed that seems instantaneous. For an uneducated person it would seem reasonable that hearing involved a delay and must be afferent, but vision seemed to be instant so must be efferent. 'Ignorance is bliss', and Lessans must have been very happy with his discoveries.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, not at all.
Ah, it doesn't change at all! So on your model, the photons at the film which determine the color of the photograph traveled to get there, did they? And they were 0.0001sec previously at a position 30m from the film and traveling towards it, were they?
What is wrong with your comprehension? In efferent vision, there is no time involved? Do you even understand what that means Spacemonkey? THERE IS NO TRAVEL TIME INVOLVED WHICH IS WHY WE ARE ABLE TO SEE IN REAL TIME. :doh:
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Lessans seemed to think seeing was somehow a direct experience, not an incidence of perceiving.
No LadyShea. Perceiving is another aspect altogether. Perception has to do with all of our experiences that help us make sense out of what we are seeing, even if that perception is inaccurate. Seeing in real time just means that we are seeing the external world without a time delay due to light.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, not at all.
What is wrong with your comprehension? In efferent vision, there is no time involved? Do you even understand what that means Spacemonkey? THERE IS NO TRAVEL TIME INVOLVED WHICH IS WHY WE ARE ABLE TO SEE IN REAL TIME. :doh:
What's wrong with your comprehension? You said that on your model the location and behavior of photons doesn't change from the afferent account. That's what YOU said. Did you again say something you didn't actually mean? Does the location and behavior of photons change on your account or not?
LadyShea (06-07-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy