Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quantum Photons - Quantum Entanglement,

Quantum entanglement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When photons leave the Sun or any other source of light, their qhantum states are aligned and when one encounters a physical object and interacts with it and the corosponding other photons are at an eye or camera, then due to quantum entanglement the other photons will reveal the object to the eye or camera. All very simple really and voilates no known laws of physics, and because there is a constant stream of Quantumly Entangled photons arriving from the Sun.

Ooops, that still doesn't explain how we see the Sun before the photons arrive from a newly turned on Sun. Oh well, back to the book.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
1. The Sun newly ignited at noon
2. Camera film on Earth at noon
3. No photons of light on Earth until 12:08 ACCORDING TO LESSANS HIMSELF
4. No light on Earth means no photons for the camera film to physically touch which is required for absorption and photochemical reaction.

How do photons come to be in contact with camera film on Earth, 93 million miles away, at noon if the photons have neither traveled to Earth, nor teleported to the camera film?

If you can't describe a mechanism that doesn't break the laws of physics (which bar photochemical reactions at a physical distance), then your claims regarding cameras taking photographs in real time are proven false.
This all boils down to whether the conditions that would allow this phenomenon of real time seeing to occur are in violation with physical laws or not. I don't believe they are. I am not saying that there is a photochemical reaction at a physical distance because that would violate the laws of physics. But if the lens of the eye or camera are aimed at substance, that means the light is at the film/retina instantly.
Instantly 93 million miles away breaks the laws of physics.

Quote:
There is no teleporting at all, because there is no travel time at all where photons have to traverse a long distance.
Something appearing a long distance away without taking time traversing the distance is the definition of teleportation.

We know what the physical laws are that cause photographic images to appear on film. Photons have to come into physical contact with the film....which means they must occupy the same physical location. To do that, they have to come to be in the same physical location.

Travel, or teleportation? Which do you pick?
Neither.
Then how do photons come to be in the same physical location as camera film? Remember the marble and the envelope across the room from each other? It is the exact same type of physics to get a photon to camera film.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm Deplorable.

OK I've got it now we just extend Quantum Entanglement to all subatomic particles everywhere so not the eye can see everything instantly because the particles in the eye are interacting with every other particle in the universe. Einstein didn't like this "Spooky Actions at a Distance" but thats OK he wouldn't have liked Efferent Vision so it's out with Einstein. Well I'm glad I could settle that.

Ooops, now why cant we see everything in the universe all at the same time, Hmmm.

Ahh, "Selective Quantum Entanglement", now all I need to do is to get a bunch of respected scientists to endorse it. Maybe the 'Woo' crowd can help?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quick side-note that may have already been covered: how does efferent sight account for the fact that light itself is actually invisible?

If you take a big oblong box with a vacuum inside, and then project a beam of light through it along it's length, then an observer who is facing the box from the side cannot see that beam of light, even if you put a nice black background to it. That observer can only see it if it is projected directly at him.

This is because when we see a beam of light, what we are really seeing are tiny bits of dust, smoke, or other bits of matter that reflect bits of that beam towards us. If there is nothing to reflect the light towards us, we simply cannot see it.

That seems to me a pretty good empirical test of efferent vision, done here on earth, that proves efferent vision is not correct.
I would disagree that it proves efferent vision is not correct. If we're looking sideways there is no substance from which to see the image. It's very clear to me. I hope it will become clear to you eventually. The fact that substance reflects (P) light (which involves no time since it is an exact replica or mirror image) is what allows the eyes to see in the present, not the past. Without the substance that the light is shining on (so to speak), we get no image. That is exactly why looking sideways would not give us an image of anything.
Ah so it is not teleportation, but replication! Fabulous. How does it work? If we can mimic the mechanism by which it works, we could potentially solve all resource- and energy shortages.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1. The Sun newly ignited at noon
2. Camera film on Earth at noon
3. No photons of light on Earth until 12:08 ACCORDING TO LESSANS HIMSELF
4. No light on Earth means no photons for the camera film to physically touch which is required for absorption and photochemical reaction.

How do photons come to be in contact with camera film on Earth, 93 million miles away, at noon if the photons have neither traveled to Earth, nor teleported to the camera film?

If you can't describe a mechanism that doesn't break the laws of physics (which bar photochemical reactions at a physical distance), then your claims regarding cameras taking photographs in real time are proven false.
This all boils down to whether the conditions that would allow this phenomenon of real time seeing to occur are in violation with physical laws or not. I don't believe they are. I am not saying that there is a photochemical reaction at a physical distance because that would violate the laws of physics. But if the lens of the eye or camera are aimed at substance, that means the light is at the film/retina instantly.
Instantly 93 million miles away breaks the laws of physics.

Quote:
There is no teleporting at all, because there is no travel time at all where photons have to traverse a long distance.
Something appearing a long distance away without taking time traversing the distance is the definition of teleportation.

We know what the physical laws are that cause photographic images to appear on film. Photons have to come into physical contact with the film....which means they must occupy the same physical location. To do that, they have to come to be in the same physical location.

Travel, or teleportation? Which do you pick?
Neither.
Then how do photons come to be in the same physical location as camera film? Remember the marble and the envelope across the room from each other? It is the exact same type of physics to get a photon to camera film.
You need to remember that the lens of a camera works the same way as the eye, therefore the object or substance must be in view for the light, which is present at the film, to be an exact mirror image. If all that was needed was light to be detected, the lens would not have to be focused on the object or substance at all. We would just need to focus light and we would get an image of a past event. But this is not the case.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quick side-note that may have already been covered: how does efferent sight account for the fact that light itself is actually invisible?

If you take a big oblong box with a vacuum inside, and then project a beam of light through it along it's length, then an observer who is facing the box from the side cannot see that beam of light, even if you put a nice black background to it. That observer can only see it if it is projected directly at him.

This is because when we see a beam of light, what we are really seeing are tiny bits of dust, smoke, or other bits of matter that reflect bits of that beam towards us. If there is nothing to reflect the light towards us, we simply cannot see it.

That seems to me a pretty good empirical test of efferent vision, done here on earth, that proves efferent vision is not correct.
I would disagree that it proves efferent vision is not correct. If we're looking sideways there is no substance from which to see the image. It's very clear to me. I hope it will become clear to you eventually. The fact that substance reflects (P) light (which involves no time since it is an exact replica or mirror image) is what allows the eyes to see in the present, not the past. Without the substance that the light is shining on (so to speak), we get no image. That is exactly why looking sideways would not give us an image of anything.
Ah so it is not teleportation, but replication! Fabulous. How does it work? If we can mimic the mechanism by which it works, we could potentially solve all resource- and energy shortages.
So now you think I'm talking about images replicating themselves? I didn't think we could get more off track than we already have, but I take that back.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You need to remember that the lens of a camera works the same way as the eye, therefore the object or substance must be in view for the light, which is present at the film, to be an exact mirror image.
But camera film or the CCD require photons to be physically on the surface of the film or CCD to be absorbed. Is the mirror image made of photons?

Your explanation still fails to address the physical requirements of photography.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
If all that was needed was light to be detected, the lens would not have to be focused on the object or substance at all. We would just need to focus light and we would get an image of a past event. But this is not the case.

HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Hubble's Deepest View of the Universe Unveils Bewildering Galaxies across Billions of Years (01/15/1996) - Release Images
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The fact that substance reflects (P) light (which involves no time since it is an exact replica or mirror image) is what allows the eyes to see in the present, not the past. Without the substance that the light is shining on (so to speak), we get no image. That is exactly why looking sideways would not give us an image of anything.
Quote:
Quote:
So now you think I'm talking about images replicating themselves? I didn't think we could get more off track than we already have, but I take that back.
You said....since it is an exact replica
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
If all that was needed was light to be detected, the lens would not have to be focused on the object or substance at all. We would just need to focus light and we would get an image of a past event. But this is not the case.
Actually this is the case in the real world, Lenses focus light, they do not focus on anything, there is nothing in optics that focuses on an object. A person when studying or engaging in some mental activity will focus their attention on something but this has nothing to do with vision or optics. Again Lessans misunderstood a psychological process and tried to describe it in physiological terms. A person can focus their attention on an object or activity but this is not a visual process but a mental process, easy for an uneducated person to confuse, by not understanding when a word is figurative and not literal.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
You need to remember that the lens of a camera works the same way as the eye, therefore the object or substance must be in view for the light, which is present at the film, to be an exact mirror image. If all that was needed was light to be detected, the lens would not have to be focused on the object or substance at all. We would just need to focus light and we would get an image of a past event. But this is not the case.
Lenses do nothing but bend the path of light. That is all lenses do. You're ascribing magic properties to lenses that do not exist.

The science of vision is well established, and has been since well before Lessans made his ideas public. Lessans is wrong and remains wrong.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-07-2012), Spacemonkey (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, photons. Because according to you, when you look at something, the same light is both at the object and at the eyes. Or is it teleported in stead - but then why use the word "replicate", or speak of mirror images?

You see, this is one of those examples where you do not even understand what you are actually writing.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Quote:
You need to remember that the lens of a camera works the same way as the eye, therefore the object or substance must be in view for the light, which is present at the film, to be an exact mirror image.
But camera film or the CCD require photons to be physically on the surface of the film or CCD to be absorbed. Is the mirror image made of photons?

Your explanation still fails to address the physical requirements of photography.
Before we talk about cameras (which involves the same light), you need to understand why efferent vision does not violate the laws of physics. As long as you keep discussing light only, and not the eyes, you're going to miss the reason why real time seeing is a viable model.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, photons. Because according to you, when you look at something, the same light is both at the object and at the eyes. Or is it teleported in stead - but then why use the word "replicate", or speak of mirror images?

You see, this is one of those examples where you do not even understand what you are actually writing.
No, if the eyes are efferent, the light is at the film/retina, as you look at the object or substance. The light is not at two places at once.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
You need to remember that the lens of a camera works the same way as the eye, therefore the object or substance must be in view for the light, which is present at the film, to be an exact mirror image. If all that was needed was light to be detected, the lens would not have to be aimed at the object or substance at all. We would just need to focus light and we would get an image of a past event. But this is not the case.
Lenses do nothing but bend the path of light. That is all lenses do. You're ascribing magic properties to lenses that do not exist.

The science of vision is well established, and has been since well before Lessans made his ideas public. Lessans is wrong and remains wrong.
You're right, the lens doesn't focus the object, it focuses the light, but it must be aimed at the object for the light to be focused. That's what I meant to say.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The fact that substance reflects (P) light (which involves no time since it is an exact replica or mirror image) is what allows the eyes to see in the present, not the past. Without the substance that the light is shining on (so to speak), we get no image. That is exactly why looking sideways would not give us an image of anything.
Quote:
Quote:
You said....since it is an exact replica
Wrong word. Thanks for correcting me. :glare:
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, if the eyes are efferent, the light is at the film/retina, as you look at the object or substance. The light is not at two places at once.
Ah, so it is teleportation then, not replication. Still impossible though.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You're right, the lens doesn't focus the object, it focuses the light, but it must be aimed at the object for the light to be focused. That's what I meant to say.
From Peacegirls discription of vision it would probably be advisable for her to have an eye examination, it sounds like she is suffering from 'Tunnel Vision'. She discribes looking directly at an object as the only way to see anything and every where else is a blurr of white as if she has no peripheral vision, but not as if there is nothing there but just a white fog. She has, in the past, stated that you need to be looking directly at the object and all else is just white light.

define tunnel vision - Bing DICTIONARY

Actually both definitiions could apply to Peacegirl.

Bump please.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Ah so it is not teleportation, but replication! Fabulous. How does it work?
Relax, it doesn't, we're back to plane old afferent vision, how boreing.
It all comes from eye problems Peacegirl probably inherited it from her father.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Hubble's Deepest View of the Universe Unveils Bewildering Galaxies across Billions of Years (01/15/1996) - Release Images
All I can say in defense is that what appears to be clear-cut may not be what it seems.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the photons are not in two places at once without traversing the distance, it is not teleportation. Now you're just grasping at anything that will make it appear that real time seeing is an impossibility.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Wrong. Maybe you don't, but I do see how efferent vision changes the very thing that is believed to be impossible.
No you don't. If you did then you'd be capable of telling us how it does so. But you can't.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
The photons have to be there at the film or retina to interact with it. And you have given no explanation of how they get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there.
EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:facepalm: That's just a word. It is not an explanation. According to :derp: "EFFERENT VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :derp: how do the photons at the film get there if they do not either travel there or teleport there?

Quote:
Wrong again. I don't have to reject physics to maintain that these claims are valid. That I refuse to address those questions is because you're missing the most important aspect of all this --- efferent vision. All you're doing is following the afferent version of sight, which would be a problem because in this version time is a factor.
But I'm not following the afferent version of sight. I'm doing EXACTLY as you asked by starting with the assumption that vision is real-time and working backwards to see how that could be possible. You refuse to address my questions about this, showing that you do not know how much of physics will be compatible with it, and that you have no interest in finding out.

Quote:
But in efferent vision, there is no non-zero actual distance covered, so there is no travel time and, consequently, THERE IS NO TELEPORTATION.
Sorry, but your model doesn't get to change or deny the ACTUAL distance between the object and the eye or camera. If there is no such distance in your model, then your account is not modelling what it is meant to explain. In REALITY there is a real physical distance between objects and the camera/retina.
LadyShea (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If the photons are not in two places at once without traversing the distance, it is not teleportation. Now you're just grasping at anything that will make it appear that real time seeing is an impossibility.
Wrong. Teleportation does not require the photons to ever be two places at once. You've made that mistake before. You've been corrected on it before.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, that is not the case. If the photon is in one place one minute, and in a different place the next without crossing the intervening space (a process which takes time), then what we have there is teleportation.

It would be great if it was possible, because it would open up possibilities for time travel or FTL space travel. But as far as we know, it is not possible.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
As long as photons travel then I'm not discussing afferent vision by asking about them, am I?
Yes you are.
No, I'm not. You just told me that photons travel. So if there are traveling photons under BOTH models, then you can't claim that I am discussing one model rather than the other when I ask about traveling photons. When I ask about traveling photons, I am asking about them under YOUR model. (If there are no traveling photons under real-time vision, then either photons do not exist or they exist but are always stationary. Which is it?)

Quote:
Quote:
What does this instant mirror image at the film consist of?

Photons that traveled to get there?
No, in the efferent version there are no traveling photons. There is a mirror image with no travel between the object and the mirror image that is on the film/retina. This is obviously a different point of view than mirror images in the afferent version because, in this version, it is believed that light is still bringing the image through space, and therefore time, however quick it occurs.
What does the instant mirror image at the film consist of?

Quote:
Quote:
Photons that got there instantly from somewhere else (i.e. teleported)?
Do you see how you are constantly talking about photons, not the eye, which is what the claim is referring to?
Do you see how you are weaseling out of answering another question about YOUR claims?

Quote:
Quote:
Newly existing photons that popped into existence at the film? Something other than photons? What?
Why do you keep talking about photons popping into existence? You are creating a space in time that does not exist in efferent vision. The eyes are focusing on the object because of light, not the other way around. You are thinking reverse when you talk about photons needing to arrive, which is causing the conflict.
You haven't answered the fucking question. Weasel.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Are there traveling photons striking the object on your account, which do not get absorbed by the object? If so, where are they immediately after they hit the object? Are they traveling away from the surface of the object or not?

Are there photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken? Are they photons which were previously traveling towards the camera or not? If not, did they exist at all prior to the photograph being taken? If they did previously exist, then where were they immediately before the photograph was taken?

(Note how none of these questions presuppose anything about afferent vision or traveling photons.)
You are presupposing that the only way to see is for light to be traveling. This is the afferent position. You are failing to understand the difference between these two versions, which, once again, highlights where the problem is originating.
Lies. And you just weaselled again. Note the parts I just put in bold. I am not presupposing anything here about traveling photons. The questions specifically ask whether or not the photons concerned will be or were traveling. You just weaselled.

If you accept that there are photons hitting the ball, and that the absorptive properties of the object are relevant to what is seen or photographed, then I get to ask about these photons. If you accept that there are photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken to produce the photographic image, then I get to ask about these photons as well. So stop your dishonest weaselling and address the damn questions. Here they are again:

Are there traveling photons striking the object on your account, which do not get absorbed by the object? If so, where are they immediately after they hit the object? Are they traveling away from the surface of the object or not?

Are there photons at the film and interacting with it when the photograph is taken? Are they photons which were previously traveling towards the camera or not? If not, did they exist at all prior to the photograph being taken? If they did previously exist, then where were they immediately before the photograph was taken?

(Note how none of these questions presuppose anything about afferent vision or traveling photons.)
LadyShea (03-07-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy