Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
This is the second thread. The first one is even longer.

The IIDB threads (4 or 5?) were really long, but they closed them. Other forums have closed her threads too. We don't close threads here...so indefinite lifespan.
Well it's not going to last much longer. I've been voted off! :(

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

As I already told you, what you do with the stats from the poll is up to you
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Given that Bodhisattva is a term from Buddhism, that's a good first clue that the forum member may be Buddhist. Buddhists are generally open to hearing other worldviews.
I figured that he was from India, but that's not the point LadyShea. I cannot believe what some people say having not asked a question or participated at all. To say that this thread is pointless is pure ignorance.

Are you so dim that you think that all Buddhists live in India? This has got to be up with all the other stupid things you have posted.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never heard that a law of nature (which is by definition true in all circumstances; no one's will is free) cannot be proven or falsified.
Bzzzt. A law of nature is true in all actual but not all logically possible counterfactual circumstances. A tautology or logical truth is true in both. We've explained this to you before.
I am using the term "law of nature" in actual circumstances which can be proven.
Which means there must be nonactual but possible counterfactual circumstances where it would be false. So in what possible circumstances would Lessans' claims about satisfaction and free will have been false?
None that I know of. If determinism is true (which it is), free will is false in every possible circumstance. I don't see where there could be possible counterfactual circumstances where it could be anything but true.
And his satisfaction principle? Are there any nonactual but possible counterfactual circumstances where it would be false, or is this also a tautology?
Bump.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know Spacemonkey. This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested.
Claiming it has empirical content and can be falsified is just another empty faith claim until you can specify the nonactual but possible counterfactual circumstances in which it would be false. If you don't know what those circumstances are, then you don't know that it is falsifiable. And if it's not falsifiable then it is a tautology.
So if I can't prove a possible counterfactual circumstance that would make it false, it can still be proven true by creating a no blame environment on a smaller scale. Therefore it can be empirically tested for its truth value.
Nope, sorry. Something for which there are no possible counterfactual circumstances that would make it false is a proposition with no empirical content, and so cannot be proven either true or false. It cannot be tested at all. You cannot test something until you know what potential results would show it to be wrong.
If the changed environmental conditions that Lessans claims would prevent someone from striking a first blow did not work in the way he proposed, it would prove that man can choose to hurt others in a no blame society, and this would be evidence that he was wrong.
That would show his reasoning as a whole to be flawed, but not necessarily his satisfaction principle. It could be any number of other aspects of his reasoning responsible for the failure, such as his assumptions about conscience for instance. I am asking you what possible counterfactual circumstances would specifically show his satisfaction principle to be false. Can you state such circumstances, or is this principle an unfalsifiable tautology?
Angakuk (12-07-2012), LadyShea (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested.
Since a law claim is universal in scope (in simplest form, "All As everywhere and everywhen are Bs"), it cannot possibly be verified: there are always actual or potential instances beyond those so far observed. Yet a universal claim can be falsified by a single negative instance.
http://science.jrank.org/pages/9302/...fiability.html

What is a possible "negative instance" regarding the greater satisfaction principle?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know Spacemonkey. This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested.
Claiming it has empirical content and can be falsified is just another empty faith claim until you can specify the nonactual but possible counterfactual circumstances in which it would be false. If you don't know what those circumstances are, then you don't know that it is falsifiable. And if it's not falsifiable then it is a tautology.
So if I can't prove a possible counterfactual circumstance that would make it false, it can still be proven true by creating a no blame environment on a smaller scale. Therefore it can be empirically tested for its truth value.
Nope, sorry. Something for which there are no possible counterfactual circumstances that would make it false is a proposition with no empirical content, and so cannot be proven either true or false. It cannot be tested at all. You cannot test something until you know what potential results would show it to be wrong.
If the changed environmental conditions that Lessans claims would prevent someone from striking a first blow did not work in the way he proposed, it would prove that man can choose to hurt others in a no blame society, and this would be evidence that he was wrong.
That would show his reasoning as a whole to be flawed, but not necessarily his satisfaction principle. It could be any number of other aspects of his reasoning responsible for the failure, such as his assumptions about conscience for instance. I am asking you what possible counterfactual circumstances would specifically show his satisfaction principle to be false. Can you state such circumstances, or is this principle an unfalsifiable tautology?
It doesn't matter whether the principle of "greater satisfaction" is proved true by setting up a counterfactual example where it could be falsified. What is key here is whether these principles work in the real world. Isn't that the point Spacemonkey or are you losing sight of what this discovery is all about? If the conditions were such that conscience became stronger and no one could move in the direction of hurting others, I think that would be proof enough.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
It doesn't matter whether the principle of "greater satisfaction" is proved true by setting up a counterfactual example where it could be falsified.
Then you retract your statement "This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested."?

Quote:
Isn't that the point Spacemonkey or are you losing sight of what this discovery is all about? If the conditions were such that conscience became stronger and no one could move in the direction of hurting others, I think that would be proof enough.
You are appealing to proof from a future that could only come to pass if the whole world accepts the principles now with no current evidence at all.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-07-2012), Crumb (12-06-2012), koan (12-07-2012), Spacemonkey (12-06-2012), thedoc (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested.
Since a law claim is universal in scope (in simplest form, "All As everywhere and everywhen are Bs"), it cannot possibly be verified: there are always actual or potential instances beyond those so far observed. Yet a universal claim can be falsified by a single negative instance.
http://science.jrank.org/pages/9302/...fiability.html

What is a possible "negative instance" regarding the greater satisfaction principle?
There are no "negative instances" regarding the greater satisfaction principle. That is why it's a universal law. He demonstrated that even if someone should decide to kill himself, he is not moving in the direction of dissatisfaction, but is choosing the lesser of two evils when living under his present circumstances appears to him to be the worst possible choice in comparison.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Then the greater satisfaction principle cannot possibly be verified: there will always actual or potential instances beyond those so far observed

Hmm, seems to me that you recently threw a fit at me because I said the principle was not possible to prove because it was not testable at all.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the principle of "greater satisfaction" is proved true by setting up a counterfactual example where it could be falsified.
Then you retract your statement "This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested."?
It came from seeing a pattern which was inferred from observing many people throughout history.

Quote:
Isn't that the point Spacemonkey or are you losing sight of what this discovery is all about? If the conditions were such that conscience became stronger and no one could move in the direction of hurting others, I think that would be proof enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You are appealing to proof from a future that could only come to pass if the whole world accepts the principles now with no current evidence at all.
Regardless of how you judge this work and how you can't entertain the possibility that he could be right, this comment doesn't mean it won't come to pass or that the world won't accept these principles once it is accepted by science. Realizing that the kind of world that is now possible is so much better than what we have now, I don't think the majority of mankind would hesitate becoming a citizen of this coming Golden Age. I don't think anyone in his right mind would want to risk becoming a victim of war, crime, poverty, or any of the other evils plaguing our lives, if it can be avoided.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
It certainly does matter. Because without these possible counterfactual falsifying circumstances, it is not falsifiable. And if it is not falsifiable then it is a tautology. Do you agree that his satisfaction principle is a tautology?
Angakuk (12-07-2012), LadyShea (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, this is an appeal to proof from a future that could easily come to pass when this knowledge is recognized by science. Who in his right mind would want to remain in a world of poverty, physical and mental illness, war, accidents, murder, heinous crimes that threats of punishment have not eliminated, and hatred of such magnitude that we could end up in World War III? You think there is no evidence but those who understand these principles will know that this knowledge is valid. Some will just have to wait until the new world gets here.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is an appeal to proof from a future that could easily come to pass when this knowledge is recognized by science.
Do you think it is rational to believe something on the basis of non-existent future evidence?

Quote:
You think there is no evidence but those who understand these principles will know that this knowledge is valid.
If that were true then you wouldn't need to keep appealing to non-existent future evidence.
Angakuk (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Do you retract your statement "This knowledge has empirical content because it came from observation. It can be falsified because it can be empirically tested."?

Do you retract your repeated statements that Lessans claim was not tautological?

How can science go about recognizing something that cannot be scientifically verified?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-07-2012), Spacemonkey (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM

Also, Pascal's Wager, still failing after 400 years
Thanks, from:
But (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Then the greater satisfaction principle cannot possibly be verified: there will always actual or potential instances beyond those so far observed

Hmm, seems to me that you recently threw a fit at me because I said the principle was not possible to prove because it was not testable at all.
You can't see someone moving in the direction of greater satisfaction, but you can test it indirectly, which I already mentioned. If under the changed conditions we cannot desire hurting another as a preferable choice when it is more preferable not to hurt them, then this is proof enough that will is not free because if it was free we could choose to hurt others in spite of the changed antecedent conditions, which is impossible.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Pascal's Wager because the truth of our ultimate nature is now known. This is not probability theory.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
You can't see someone moving in the direction of greater satisfaction, but you can test it indirectly, which I already mentioned.
No, you can't test it indirectly. Because if it fails your test there is no way of knowing if this is due to the satisfaction principle or some other part of his reasoning. This was already explained to you before. Until you provide falsification criteria specifically for his satisfaction principle, that principle remains an unfalsifiable tautology.
Angakuk (12-07-2012), But (12-07-2012), LadyShea (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
There are no "negative instances" regarding the greater satisfaction principle. That is why it's a universal law. He demonstrated that even if someone should decide to kill himself, he is not moving in the direction of dissatisfaction, but is choosing the lesser of two evils when living under his present circumstances appears to him to be the worst possible choice in comparison.
Real knowledge is always limited by reality, but stupidity knows no bounds.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-07-2012), Spacemonkey (12-07-2012), Stephen Maturin (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
It came from seeing a pattern which was inferred from observing many people throughout history.

Really! Lessans had some kind of 'Time Machine' that allowed him to observe these people directly, or was he relying on written accounts that are biased by the writers opinions?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-07-2012), LadyShea (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, this is an appeal to proof from a future that could easily come to pass when this knowledge is recognized by science. Who in his right mind would want to remain in a world of poverty, physical and mental illness, war, accidents, murder, heinous crimes that threats of punishment have not eliminated, and hatred of such magnitude that we could end up in World War III? You think there is no evidence but those who understand these principles will know that this knowledge is valid. Some will just have to wait until the new world gets here.
Freedom is always better than slavery.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

You can't see someone moving in the direction of greater satisfaction, but you can test it indirectly, which I already mentioned. If under the changed conditions we cannot desire hurting another as a preferable choice when it is more preferable not to hurt them, then this is proof enough that will is not free because if it was free we could choose to hurt others in spite of the changed antecedent conditions, which is impossible.
There are some people I could choose to hurt, no matter what the conditions.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

But in order to get that future evidence you believe will exist, the whole world must first assume the proposition as true without any evidence at all. That's faith.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
This has nothing to do with Pascal's Wager because the truth of our ultimate nature is now known. This is not probability theory.
It is not known, it is believed by exactly one person, YOU, based on faith.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (12-07-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy