Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 09-05-2023, 11:43 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: How Twitter?

Musk could be the world’s richest man if it wasn’t for the jewish world order keeping him down.
At $6.7Billion per George Soros, Musk spent 6.5 George Soroses on twitter.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-06-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-06-2023), Pan Narrans (09-06-2023), viscousmemories (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Forum gadfly

Isn't Soros a jew?

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-07-2023, 02:31 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

It’s the Telegraph: Elon Musk reveals Twitter takeover driven by 'woke mind virus' that infected his trans daughter

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 03:48 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Musk Secretly Used Starlink to Foil Ukrainian Drone Attack on Russian Ships: Report

Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-07-2023), viscousmemories (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:51 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

“Let them sue.” - Musk
Musk appears to be following the Trump school of narcissistic rich baby men by refusing to pay for services rendered. I can’t wait till Twitter files for bankruptcy in an attempt to get out of debt.

Musk stiffed Twitter vendors and dared them to sue—dozens did just that | Ars Technica
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-11-2023), Ensign Steve (09-07-2023), JoeP (09-07-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-07-2023), lisarea (09-08-2023), Pan Narrans (09-08-2023), Pyrrho (09-10-2023), slimshady2357 (09-08-2023), Sock Puppet (09-07-2023), viscousmemories (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 07:06 PM
California Sober

:popcorn:
Old 09-10-2023, 02:54 AM

One of the reasons Elon was booted from PayPal was because he wanted paypal to become www.x.com and obviously the other executives understood that was insane and idiotic. I feel like the guy has been butthurt about that for 23 years so now we have twitter renamed to X except nobody is calling it X, it's still twitter.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-11-2023), JoeP (09-10-2023), Sock Puppet (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:15 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Elon is the kind of guy who takes a shot at someone who made fun of him on Twitter, blocks them, them comes back three years later, unblocks, takes another shot at the same tweet, and blocks them again.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-11-2023), JoeP (09-10-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:19 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:54 AM
here to bore you with pictures

That recent pig kidney transplant that made the news? That was a braindead patient on supportive care.

I mean, yes the tweet is unintentionally ironic, but this is a case where Neuralink is (probably) following generally accepted practices.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-11-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-11-2023), slimshady2357 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:03 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Nah, Elon is lying. There is no regulatory basis for using a decedent model as submission-enabling pre-clinical research - it is essentially basic research that is exceptionally useful in xenotransplantation, where substantial differences in human vs. non-human primate immune response may make a non-human primate model less useful in early discovery. At present, that kind of data cannot be used to enable systematic human clinical investigations. Non-human primate work is still required.

For an investigational device like Neuralink, you need high quality animal model data (most likely non-human primate at some point) to obtain an investigational device exemption and advance to human clinical trials. Using moribund animals is a serious experimental confound. There is no such thing as compassionate use or phase 1b study - where you would study the device in persons with a particular disease state alongside the standard of care - for animals. I would also be very surprised if any IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee that has oversight of animal studies) would sign off on such research. Research animals with terminal illnesses are euthanized. Maintaining research animals that are "terminal" is likely unethical.

So, if this were true (it is not), it would likely either (1) tank the utility, such as it was, of the referenced non-human primate pre-clinical work using the "terminal" animals or (2) get the responsible IACUC and investigators inspected and audited by USDA, because it reads like a violation of the Animal Welfare Act.

This is just another thing he made up.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-11-2023), beyelzu (09-11-2023), Crumb (09-11-2023), Ensign Steve (09-11-2023), JoeP (09-11-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-11-2023), slimshady2357 (09-11-2023), Sock Puppet (09-11-2023), specious_reasons (09-11-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-11-2023), viscousmemories (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:22 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
xenotransplantation
:alienglomp:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-11-2023), Crumb (09-11-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 09:53 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

"terminal moneys" ???
Old 09-12-2023, 01:50 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

This is from a new biography coming out.

Quote:
Musk turned to his security guard and asked to borrow his pocket knife. Using it, he was able to lift one of the air vents in the floor, which allowed him to pry open the floor panels. He then crawled under the server floor himself, used the knife to jimmy open an electrical cabinet, pulled the server plugs, and waited to see what happened. Nothing exploded. The server was ready to be moved.
Because servers can explode if you disconnect them wrong.

Quote:
The next day — Christmas Eve — Musk called in reinforcements. Ross Nordeen, who worked with his friend James at Tesla, drove from San Francisco. He stopped at the Apple Store in Union Square and spent $2,000 to buy out the entire stock of AirTags so the servers could be tracked on their journey, and then stopped at Home Depot, where he spent $2,500 on wrenches, bolt-cutters, headlamps, and the tools needed to unscrew the seismic bolts.

Steve Davis, a loyal Musk lieutenant, got someone to procure a semi truck and line up moving vans. Other enlistees arrived from SpaceX. The server racks were on wheels, so the team was able to disconnect four of them and roll them to the waiting truck. This showed that all fifty-two hundred or so could probably be moved within days. “The guys are kicking ass!” Musk exulted.
So they got 4 racks moved in I guess about a day or day and a half so that showed Musk that 5200 could be done in a couple of days.

Also he saved money by getting a moving company that was shady and had no expertise in moving servers.

Musk is a fucking dipshit.

I used to think Musk was a little smart and bombastic, but now I’m leaning towards all bombast and privilege.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/11/elon...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

Musk thinks himself a genius innovator because he figured out how to cut corners and waste his time personally moving servers as ceo of a company and of course ruin lots of his employees off time and Xmas in this case.

I think it’s because that’s about the level of problem he can solve.

Btw

Quote:
Despite the area being pummeled by rain, they moved more than 700 of the racks in three days. The previous record at that facility had been moving 30 in a month.
There are 5200, musk said it would take a few days and they did a seventh of them in 3 days.

Also they didn’t wipe the servers like they were supposed to do that definitely saved time.

SMH.

Quote:
For the next two months, X was destabilized. The lack of servers caused meltdowns, including when Musk hosted a Twitter Spaces for presidential candidate Ron DeSantis. “In retrospect, the whole Sacramento shutdown was a mistake,” Musk would admit in March 2023. “I was told we had redundancy across our data centers. What I wasn’t told was that we had 70,000 hard-coded references to Sacramento. And there’s still shit that’s broken because of it.”
Lol
Ari (09-12-2023), ChuckF (09-12-2023), Crumb (09-12-2023), Ensign Steve (09-12-2023), JoeP (09-12-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-12-2023), slimshady2357 (09-12-2023), Sock Puppet (09-12-2023), viscousmemories (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:14 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Musk thinks himself a genius innovator because he figured out how to cut corners and waste his time personally moving servers as ceo of a company and of course ruin lots of his employees off time and Xmas in this case.
There is an indirect benefit to Tesla shareholders and SpaceX in general, because there are finite minutes in a day. Each minute he spends fucking up Twitter and generally being a dipshit at Twitter is a minute not spent doing the same thing elsewhere. In that respect, I may argue that some level of self-dealing between Tesla and Elon (loans against his equity, etc.) may actually fulfill a duty to shareholders, rather than neglecting it. Basically anything that makes him spend time somewhere else.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-12-2023), beyelzu (09-12-2023), Crumb (09-12-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-12-2023), Sock Puppet (09-12-2023), viscousmemories (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:19 AM
Pontificating Old Fart

There are two humans on the planet that are absorbing far more thought energy than they will ever prove to be worth.

Just sayin'
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 04:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-12-2023), ChuckF (09-12-2023), JoeP (09-12-2023), Sock Puppet (09-12-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2023), viscousmemories (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
For the next two months, X was destabilized. The lack of servers caused meltdowns, including when Musk hosted a Twitter Spaces for presidential candidate Ron DeSantis. “In retrospect, the whole Sacramento shutdown was a mistake,” Musk would admit in March 2023. “I was told we had redundancy across our data centers. What I wasn’t told was that we had 70,000 hard-coded references to Sacramento. And there’s still shit that’s broken because of it.”
This is a common problem in toxic IT environments. I've been there. What happens is the person above you gets angry when:
- something goes wrong
- they offer an explanation for something, and if you try to gently correct them, they push back and tell you you're wrong
- something costs more money than they expect, and when you try to explain to the boss that the cheaper alternative has many downsides to the point where it's not really an option, they just say they don't care and won't be problem, or they tell you to you scrap it
- they try to do it themselves even though they have no idea what the fuck they're doing or what they're talking about, it sorta kinda works, but then 1, 2, 3 years later, it becomes an issue, then they get mad at employees for this thing being broken

This leads to compounding issues down the road, and then the boss wonders why everything in their company keeps going wrong and the website keeps breaking and the contractors hate them and overcharge them for everything or fire them as a customer.

In this environment, employees respond by telling the boss white lies so they don't get angry, lie by omission, blame other employees for problems, and have mental breakdowns and up their anti-depressant prescription. Then the boss wonders why communication is bad, nobody has confidence and is constantly re-asking how to do common things and pushing tasks to different people and departments instead of handling it themselves.

Quote:
I was told we had redundancy across our data centers. What I wasn’t told was that we had 70,000 hard-coded references to Sacramento. And there’s still shit that’s broken because of it.
I bet he asked a question like, "Do we have backups for this data?" and some engineer said yes, but did not elaborate and explain that that's kind of an irrelevant question because there's a deeper architectural problem that will not make this operation viable because the engineer didn't want Elon to get angry and fire him. Or the engineer did try to explain it, but Elon shut his brain off as soon as he got the answer he wanted and ignored the engineer.

There's a story about a lead engineer being fired because Elon was bitching about his tweets not getting enough engagement and there must be something wrong with Twitter. The lead engineer suggested maybe people just don't want to look at his tweets, so Elon fired him. When management acts like this, it creates a scenario where nobody wants to do or say anything, but they do pretend-work and just lie to everyone because they start focusing on keeping up appearances and making the boss happy instead of actually solving problems and engaging with the company's overall mission.

My PTSD is triggered and I'm talking about my own experiences here.

Quote:
There is an indirect benefit to Tesla shareholders and SpaceX in general, because there are finite minutes in a day. Each minute he spends fucking up Twitter and generally being a dipshit at Twitter is a minute not spent doing the same thing elsewhere. In that respect, I may argue that some level of self-dealing between Tesla and Elon (loans against his equity, etc.) may actually fulfill a duty to shareholders, rather than neglecting it. Basically anything that makes him spend time somewhere else.
There's literally teams at Tesla and SpaceX that "manage up" and distract Elon and shield him from critical things so he doesn't fuck things up. A dog would be a better CEO than Elon Musk. It would at least brighten up the workplace a bit.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-12-2023), beyelzu (09-12-2023), ChuckF (09-12-2023), Crumb (09-12-2023), JoeP (09-13-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-12-2023), slimshady2357 (09-12-2023), Sock Puppet (09-12-2023), specious_reasons (09-13-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2023), viscousmemories (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:28 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Buckle up, Ukrainians. Vlad is rubbing Apartheid Karen's nips and calling him a good boy again.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-13-2023), Sock Puppet (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:34 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Uncle Vlad's really good at manipulating manbabies. :yes:

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (09-14-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

:yup:

It's his life's work, though not especially difficult work in this instance.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-14-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-13-2023), slimshady2357 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 06:46 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-14-2023), Crumb (09-15-2023), JoeP (09-15-2023), Pan Narrans (09-15-2023), Sock Puppet (09-14-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-14-2023), viscousmemories (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

The much-ballyhooed blue checkmark is essentially just an emoji at this point, but the UAW temporarily lost its emoji after the union hit Ford, GM and Stellantis with a strike this morning. Of course, that had nothing whatsoever to do with Apartheid Karen's totally non-illegal, 100% pro-collective bargaining activities such as precluding workers from talking about unionizing and/or how much money they make.

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-15-2023), beyelzu (09-15-2023), ChuckF (09-16-2023), Crumb (09-15-2023), Ensign Steve (09-15-2023), JoeP (09-15-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-15-2023), slimshady2357 (09-16-2023), Sock Puppet (09-18-2023), viscousmemories (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:04 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I don't understand how Twitter works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I know everything about how Twitter works and everything wrong with it is Elon Musks fault.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-16-2023, 12:13 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
I'm an enormous douche.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology