--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (07-15-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned for death threats

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You're all so sure of yourselves that he is wrong and you are right that there's no point anymore. I've given it my best but I cannot continue to read the horrible comments about him and myself. This mob attack will only continue to get worse. This is not the venue that I can discuss this discovery in any serious way. Once people go on the attack, the tidal wave of resentment, vitriol, and downright hatred doesn't stop until I'm beaten to a pulp. And you actually think this is not group think at its worst? I'm not going to be the butt of your jokes anymore.
Have you ever thought that he might be wrong and they might be right?

If the answer is no you need to step away from the strangely charismatic "David" figure and refrain from taking almondy flavoured drinks.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
You're all so sure of yourselves that he is wrong and you are right that there's no point anymore. .

It might have been different if you had actually tried to discuss the book and the ideas rather than just waving it around saying here it is isn't it wonderful, and if you don't agree you didn't read it.
The antagonism was too great. I never had a shot in hell.
Hmmm, and only at 8382 posts have you finally figured this out. If you had just taken a little time to look at what passes for a discussion you would have not bothered and just moved on. But if you think they gave you a hard time just disparage their precious philosophy and see what happens. A very insecure bunch in what they "believe" in.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're all so sure of yourselves that he is wrong and you are right that there's no point anymore. .

It might have been different if you had actually tried to discuss the book and the ideas rather than just waving it around saying here it is isn't it wonderful, and if you don't agree you didn't read it.
Hmmm, and only at 8382 posts have you finally figured this out. If you had just taken a little time to look at what passes for a discussion you would have not bothered and just moved on.
Ah, yes, the real reason peacegirl didn't have a shot at convincing us that we see in real time and that sight is efferent and that we see the reflected light of the moon immediately after the sun is turned on but not the reflected light of our neighbor until eight and a half minutes later is because we are all a bunch of bad discussers. :lol:

Hey, N.A., I thought you liked science!

:foocl:
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm, and only at 8382 posts have you finally figured this out. If you had just taken a little time to look at what passes for a discussion you would have not bothered and just moved on.
Ah, yes, the real reason peacegirl didn't have a shot at convincing us that we see in real time and that sight is efferent and that we see the reflected light of the moon immediately after the sun is turned on but not the reflected light of our neighbor until eight and a half minutes later is because we are all a bunch of bad discussers. :lol:

The science is what it is and peacegirl doesn't seem to understand it. But what is the point of this thread other than simply beating her up about it?

Ohhh, yes I forgot, you live for precisely that kind of thing.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The science is what it is and peacegirl doesn't seem to understand it. But what is the point of this thread other than simply beating her up about it?

:awesome:

No, that "beat up" feeling you get when I or others refute your silliness is just the feeling of being wrong. :wave:
Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:awesome:

No, that "beat up" feeling you get when I or others refute your silliness is just the feeling of being wrong. :wave:
No, beat up when you don't stick to the facts in a discussion and instead attack the person. But then I guess philosophers think that is an important part of a discussion.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
He is a masochist, then.

--J.D.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right they do, it kinda beats getting shit faced and talking shit, well sometimes anyway. You can't apologise for that it is a free thought forum, they are free to think. Let them do so. Freethought is about expressing an opinion peacegirl can and they can, it's all gravy. It only becomes pointless when you are not allowed to because some dick says so. :)

Ferk just say what you feel, I have nothing against you being right or wrong, as long as you have an opinion. Is that bad? the only crime is when you are not allowed to be wrong or right, there is the sin against freedom. Sadly a lot of people don't like people to have an opinion, it irks them, they are worthless though. Fuck 'em you can say whatever you like, it's what makes it worth posting. Conformists are idiots.

Of course that said joining a cult is a bad idea, very bad, anyone who claims to have a truth statement is a philosophical moron. No one does. Truth is not objective. David Koresh was a mad man, never follow anyone who is sure of everything, the truly intelligent always doubt everything, it is what makes them clever.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”

Bertrand Russell.

It's never been a sin to just be plain wrong, it's the only way we learn well. Trite but true.

Last edited by Sidhe; 07-16-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

This thread must be dying, the vultures are descending to pick at the carcass.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm, and only at 8382 posts have you finally figured this out. If you had just taken a little time to look at what passes for a discussion you would have not bothered and just moved on. But if you think they gave you a hard time just disparage their precious philosophy and see what happens. A very insecure bunch in what they "believe" in.
Thanks naturalist.atheist. I really did go through the ringer in here.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

peacegirl, you don't pull a drama exit flail then come back :facepalm:

And it's wringer.
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-18-2011), Angakuk (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Sure she does. Did you anticipate otherwise?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post

And it's wringer.
Unless she's in the belfry with the other bats.

My mother used to have a wringer on her washing machine, and did you know in some places it was called a mangle?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You're all so sure of yourselves.

I'm not going to be the butt of your jokes anymore.
:yup:

L.O.L. too late L.O.L.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post

And it's wringer.
I wanted to thank natural.atheist. Don't I have the right to do that? He and Henry were the only ones in this entire thread who stood up for me, even a little bit. Actually, the link to the book at the colorado philosophy website is disconnected. Just the thought of how people took so many parts of the book out of context and made it unrecognizable makes me sorry I ever shared it in the first place.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 AM

:butthurt:

--J.D.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Lessans was like the man who built a boat in his basement. One can admire the dedication and effort that went into building the boat while decrying the waste represented by such a project. The waste is even greater when one considers that the man's craftmanship was poor and the boat was badly made. For years now peacegirl has been trying to get her father's boat out of the basement, to no avail. If, by some strange chance, she were to get the boat out of the basement and into the water it would do no good. This boat will not float.
specious_reasons (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Lessans was like the man who built a boat in his basement. One can admire the dedication and effort that went into building the boat while decrying the waste represented by such a project. The waste is even greater when one considers that the man's craftmanship was poor and the boat was badly made. For years now peacegirl has been trying to get her father's boat out of the basement, to no avail. If, by some strange chance, she were to get the boat out of the basement and into the water it would do no good. This boat will not float.
Indeed, the boat may never float. But I'll say this much for Lessans as opposed to the likes of you. He had a daughter that cared for him very much.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 AM

LOL, I have no daughter at all. However, had I a daughter she would doubtlessly care very much for Lessans.

Oh, wait, was that an attack upon my virility? Are you saying that because Lessans sired a daughter and I have not that I am less of a man than was Lessans?

You wound me, sir. To the quick you wound me. You, sir, are a hound and a cad and no gentleman.

Last edited by Angakuk; 07-17-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-18-2011), livius drusus (07-18-2011), SharonDee (07-18-2011), Stephen Maturin (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You are so completely mistaken Angakuk, but it's too late. One day, you may desire to read the book on your own. If you do, you may have a change of heart especially when there is no mob mentality to distract you.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, the boat may never float. But I'll say this much for Lessans as opposed to the likes of you. He had a daughter that cared for him very much.
I did love my father very much because he loved me unconditionally. He didn't have a judgmental bone in his body.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
LOL, I have no daughter at all. However, had I a daughter she would doubtlessly care very much for Lessans.

Oh, wait, was that an attack upon my virility? Are you saying that because Lessans sired a daughter and I have not that I am less of a man than was Lessans?

You wound me, sir. To the quick you wound me. You, sir, are a hound and a cad and no gentleman.
He's more of a gentleman than all of you put together. :yup:
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM

--J.D.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy