Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
[
Giving prescriptions for just about every ailment under the sun is a big problem in today's society.

No one really knows the long term effects of many of these drugs. We're all guinea pigs.

Hmmm, It's a good bet Peacegirl isn't taking her med's, that would explain a lot.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (06-24-2011), Naru (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
So to recap - the doctor, being fed false information on purpose, prescribed a medication that, because his/her patient lied about her symptoms, was not required.

And this shows that the Doctor had not faith in the bodies natural healing powers because she didn't need the medicine?

But she went out of her way to mislead the doctor about her condition! What the hell is that supposed to prove? That doctors can be misled?
It was to show her son that when you call in a doctor, they will most likely give you medicine, even if they don't know what the source of the problem is, because that is what they have been trained to do, and that's how they earn a living.
I can see where he got his talent for drawing illogical conclusions from.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (06-24-2011), Stephen Maturin (06-25-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
My conscience wouldn't permit it.
You are hawking this book, and yet claiming to have a conscience, that is a complete contradiction.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Apart from that - are we now to entertain the notion that medicine is the cause for most disease?

No wonder you were so upset by my little firemen-are-a-condition-for-fires joke! It is actually pretty close to what you really believe!

Every time you think you have plumbed the depths of crazy it just gets a little better.
Giving prescriptions for just about every ailment under the sun is a big problem in today's society. This in no way relates to your example of firemen being a condition of fires. You'll have to do better next time Vivisectus, because your reasoning is way off.
These quotes go quite a bit further than that - they say that almost all disease is actually caused by medication! And as usual this is done by accepting the first theory that comes along and that you like the look of, without checking up on it or studying it in any depth.
No one really knows the long term effects of many of these drugs. We're all guinea pigs.
...and obviously this ignorance that you claim (accurately where you yourself are concerned) is a good reason to draw the conclusion "Therefor medicine is probably bad".

So you are saying that something that you claim no-one knows is good grounds for avoiding medicine, which does have benefits that we can measure? So the possibility of bad results on the basis of no knowledge should make you avoid something with proven benefits?

I can see how this book seems like a work of genius to you. I never thought it was possible, but your own ideas are actually even less well supported.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
These quotes were not published, and for the most part I gave everyone credit where I could. I admit that all of my sentences did not come from my originality. Now what? Do you throw out the book? Do you put me in prison for dishonesty? What would you like me to do to pay for my mistake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesse
If the quotes were not published, then how did you find them to include in the book?
They were published on the internet, but they weren't in a book that had a copyright signature next to it. So the person who would own the quotes would not be the authors of those quotes, but the webmaster.

Quote:
This is another example that supports you being ignorant, dishonest, and lacking in any credibility. Previously, people have told you ways that you could take steps to improve your presentation and understanding. You have always provided excuses why you will not. So, if it is any consolation, this conversation about plagiarism, libel, etc., is not harming your position with the posters here, as our opinions are likely already formed about you and the book.
I want to do what's right. If I copied and pasted what I didn't have a right to copy and paste, I will know for the future. I'm glad it was brought to my attention. But to conclude that this has anything to do with the validity of this discovery is ludicrous.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
:omgsign:- This is precious:
Quote:
I’ll never forget the time she had a doctor come to the house even
though she was perfectly well in order to teach me a lesson. She
pretended she was very sick and told the doctor she didn’t know what
was wrong
. After examining her the doctor prescribed some medicine
which she ordered right away. He instructed her to follow the
directions carefully so that the medicine would take immediate effect.
Otherwise she could get sicker, he warned. When the medicine came
she said, “Now watch son,” as she poured the entire bottle right down
the drain. “Why did you do that, mom, you wasted it?” She replied,
“The doctor and pharmacist have to earn a living and I helped them
in this respect but I certainly don’t have to follow their advice. I
wasn’t even sick but the doctor prescribed medicine anyway. The
difference between him and I is that he has more faith in the medicine
and I have more faith in my body’s natural healing power
.”
(emphasis mine)

No the difference is Lessans's mother lied to the doctor, and the doctor assumed she was telling the truth!

The lesson you should learn from that is that you can fool somebody if you lie to them.
That wasn't the point of this chapter at all. You are, once again, misinterpreting the reason he included this in the book. Yes, he could have written it without including this story, but hopefully you got the point. Why are you all doing this?

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
I heard someone say this one sentence on a t.v. show. Am I now supposed to credit this one sentence to this person who was talking about a completely different subject matter? That's nuts.
Please calm down. No one here expects anything approaching ethical behavior from the likes of you.

Quote:
No the difference is Lessans's mother lied to the doctor, and the doctor assumed she was telling the truth!

The lesson you should learn from that is that you can fool somebody if you lie to them.
Also that it's A-OK to abuse folks and waste resources in furtherance of making some sort of jackass point! Looks like the special brand of sociopathy on display in this here thread was inherited rather than learned.
I don't know if that story was true, or if he just put it in to make a point. I know his mother was into natural healing. None of this has anything to do with the validity of his discovery, which no one seems interested in.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
:omgsign:- This is precious:
Quote:
was wrong
. After examining her the doctor prescribed some medicine
which she ordered right away. He instructed her to follow the
directions carefully so that the medicine would take immediate effect.
Otherwise she could get sicker, he warned. When the medicine came
she said, “Now watch son,” as she poured the entire bottle right down
the drain. “Why did you do that, mom, you wasted it?” She replied,
“The doctor and pharmacist have to earn a living and I helped them
in this respect but I certainly don’t have to follow their advice. I
wasn’t even sick but the doctor prescribed medicine anyway. The
difference between him and I is that he has more faith in the medicine
and I have more faith in my body’s natural healing power
.”
(emphasis mine)

If you want to be Mr. Smarty Pants who never tells a lie, and blame others who do, then you would be put on the same pedestal as President Washington. But in actuality, we are justified in lying if we believe we are hurting others, or being hurt, by not lying.
For example, when a doctor, treating a patient who claims to be very sick but exhibits no discernible physical symptoms, suspects a psychological cause and prescribes a placebo, and instructs the patient to follow the directions carefully so that the "medicine" would take "immediate effect."

I do wonder, however, whether someone who was actually ill might have benefited more from the doctor's time. I guess we'll never know.
I believe that placebos can be powerful. So can a reassuring attitude from a doctor.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
His proof came from an undeniable observation. Do you remember what his observation was?
Pages 46-59. If you can't point out what his observations were, we can't move forward.

Where-in Lessans proves that man's will is not free, and that it is an 'undeniable law' that we move to greater satisfaction. His 'undeniable observations' all seem to be hypothetical situations and therefore very deniable since they are fiction. He starts his argument by attempting to prove 'determinism', because it is the opposite of 'free will'. Both these concepts are unprovable, since they are not concrete things but ideas subject to opinion, and that they are opposite is still being debated by those who know such things. He then goes on to state that it is an 'undeniable law' that man must move in the diredtion of greater satisfaction, by stating that any decision a man makes must have been for his 'greater satisfaction'. A bit of circular reasoning to prove another concept that is largely opinion, and not based on hard facts or provable data. His argument goes something like man has the choice of moving or dieing, to move must be toward 'greater satisfaction, and to 'not move' means to die. An extreme over simplification, there is also the possability to maintain the 'statis quo' and not move or do anything. The 'greater satisfaction' is unprovable but Lessans states it and expects his readers to accept it uncriticaly because he said so. Altogether a very week argument based entirely on his opinion.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Apart from that - are we now to entertain the notion that medicine is the cause for most disease?

No wonder you were so upset by my little firemen-are-a-condition-for-fires joke! It is actually pretty close to what you really believe!

Every time you think you have plumbed the depths of crazy it just gets a little better.
Giving prescriptions for just about every ailment under the sun is a big problem in today's society. This in no way relates to your example of firemen being a condition of fires. You'll have to do better next time Vivisectus, because your reasoning is way off.
These quotes go quite a bit further than that - they say that almost all disease is actually caused by medication! And as usual this is done by accepting the first theory that comes along and that you like the look of, without checking up on it or studying it in any depth.
...and obviously this ignorance that you claim (accurately where you yourself are concerned) is a good reason to draw the conclusion "Therefor medicine is probably bad".

So you are saying that something that you claim no-one knows is good grounds for avoiding medicine, which does have benefits that we can measure? So the possibility of bad results on the basis of no knowledge should make you avoid something with proven benefits?

I can see how this book seems like a work of genius to you. I never thought it was possible, but your own ideas are actually even less well supported.
You're missing the whole point of this chapter. Read it, and then get back to me. Don't read the first page and think you understand what it's about.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
You're missing the whole point of this chapter. Read it, and then get back to me. Don't read the first page and think you understand what it's about.
People have read it, you dishnoest, plagiarizing little hack. And it stinks. And we've told you exactly why it stinks, and proven why he is wrong.

:wave:
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
His proof came from an undeniable observation. Do you remember what his observation was?
Pages 46-59. If you can't point out what his observations were, we can't move forward.

Where-in Lessans proves that man's will is not free, and that it is an 'undeniable law' that we move to greater satisfaction. His 'undeniable observations' all seem to be hypothetical situations and therefore very deniable since they are fiction. He starts his argument by attempting to prove 'determinism', because it is the opposite of 'free will'. Both these concepts are unprovable, since they are not concrete things but ideas subject to opinion, and that they are opposite is still being debated by those who know such things. He then goes on to state that it is an 'undeniable law' that man must move in the diredtion of greater satisfaction, by stating that any decision a man makes must have been for his 'greater satisfaction'. A bit of circular reasoning to prove another concept that is largely opinion, and not based on hard facts or provable data. His argument goes something like man has the choice of moving or dieing, to move must be toward 'greater satisfaction, and to 'not move' means to die. An extreme over simplification, there is also the possability to maintain the 'statis quo' and not move or do anything. The 'greater satisfaction' is unprovable but Lessans states it and expects his readers to accept it uncriticaly because he said so. Altogether a very week argument based entirely on his opinion.
You're 100% wrong. I really don't know if you are capable of understanding his observations. The fact that you so easily dismiss them by saying "it goes something like this..." is unbelievable. I am not going to try to help you, or anyone else, understand these principles if you really don't want to. You are looking for flaws because you want there to be flaws. But that doesn't mean there are flaws.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Translation, - You don't agree, - you don't understand, - you didn't read the whole book,

I do understand that most people do not like to be told over and over again that they are not telling the truth. But I guess habitual liers expect this of others.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I heard someone say this one sentence on a t.v. show. Am I now supposed to credit this one sentence to this person who was talking about a completely different subject matter? That's nuts.
Please calm down. No one here expects anything approaching ethical behavior from the likes of you.

Quote:

Also that it's A-OK to abuse folks and waste resources in furtherance of making some sort of jackass point! Looks like the special brand of sociopathy on display in this here thread was inherited rather than learned.
I don't know if that story was true, or if he just put it in to make a point. I know his mother was into natural healing but I doubt if she actually called in a doctor to teach him a lesson. None of this has anything to do with the validity of his discovery, which no one seems interested in.
For the record, you originally wrote in your response that Lessans' mother didn't call the doctor just to teach a lesson but used the incident as a "teachable moment" when the doctor prescribed unnecessary medication.

In the spectacularly disingenuous edited version of that response you're claiming that, gee whillikers!! maybe it didn't even happen at all!!! Of course, we should keep in mind that Lessans clearly and unequivocally wrote:

Quote:
was wrong.
Sure sounds like it happened to me! If it didn't happen, ol' Seymour was lying through his goddamn teeth. Surprise surprise, eh?

Also, on the events as your father relayed them, his mother wasn't taking advantage of a "teaching moment" that just happened to arise. She purposely defrauded a doctor into making an unnecessary house call. When the doctor arrived she lied to him, as was her intent all along. When the doctor accepted her fraudulent claims in good faith, the fucked up hag was all like:

The "lesson" she gave was a breathtakingly idiotic non-sequitur. And she purposely wasted health care resources to provide that "lesson." What an abominable piece of shit she must have been.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
But (08-03-2015), davidm (06-25-2011), Goliath (06-25-2011), Naru (06-25-2011), SharonDee (06-26-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Spiffiest wanger

:lol: @ Maturin. Nice post, excellent choice of image and lballoon content. :yup:
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Spiffiest wanger

I think the real lesson to this story is that dishonesty and fraud run deep in the Lessans family, and this helps explain a lot about peacegirl. :yup:
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 AM

The rotten apple did not fall far from the tree.

--J.D.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

I really don't know if you are capable of understanding his observations. You are looking for flaws because you want there to be flaws. But that doesn't mean there are flaws.

It's possible that I do not understand bogus observations because they were fiction. It's also impossible not to find flaws because the book is full of them in the form of false assumptions, can't read a page without finding flaws, much like your posts.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You're 100% wrong. I really don't know if you are capable of understanding his observations. The fact that you so easily dismiss them by saying "it goes something like this..." is unbelievable. I am not going to try to help you, or anyone else, understand these principles if you really don't want to. You are looking for flaws because you want there to be flaws. But that doesn't mean there are flaws.
It seems that the closer someone gets to the truth, the more vitriolic are her responses. Her replies to Davidm are good examples.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I believe that placebos can be powerful. So can a reassuring attitude from a doctor.
I'm sure you've had plenty of experience with both, they are in common usage among Psychiatrists, or so I've heard.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Quote:
These quotes were not published, and for the most part I gave everyone credit where I could. I admit that all of my sentences did not come from my originality. Now what? Do you throw out the book? Do you put me in prison for dishonesty? What would you like me to do to pay for my mistake?
Quote:
If the quotes were not published, then how did you find them to include in the book?
They were published on the internet, but they weren't in a book that had a copyright signature next to it. So the person who would own the quotes would not be the authors of those quotes, but the webmaster.
Ok. I'm going to go right out and make a webpage on our server with the text of a bestseller so that now I am the owner of that material. Maybe I should use Lessans' book? I'm looking forward to my first cup of $46 coffee.

Quote:
Quote:
This is another example that supports you being ignorant, dishonest, and lacking in any credibility. Previously, people have told you ways that you could take steps to improve your presentation and understanding. You have always provided excuses why you will not. So, if it is any consolation, this conversation about plagiarism, libel, etc., is not harming your position with the posters here, as our opinions are likely already formed about you and the book.
I want to do what's right. If I copied and pasted what I didn't have a right to copy and paste, I will know for the future. I'm glad it was brought to my attention. But to conclude that this has anything to do with the validity of this discovery is ludicrous.
You still can't read.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-25-2011), davidm (06-25-2011), LadyShea (07-04-2014), Stephen Maturin (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:

Translation, - You don't agree, - you don't understand, - you didn't read the whole book,

I do understand that most people do not like to be told over and over again that they are not telling the truth. But I guess habitual liers expect this of others.
This thread is out of control, and I'm the one perpetuating it. I'm actually allowing this garbage to be thrown at me. I'm finished talking to you doc. You've gotten very nasty with nothing to say. Good bye.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if that story was true, or if he just put it in to make a point. I know his mother was into natural healing but I doubt if she actually called in a doctor to teach him a lesson. None of this has anything to do with the validity of his discovery, which no one seems interested in.
For the record, you originally wrote in your response that Lessans' mother didn't call the doctor just to teach a lesson but used the incident as a "teachable moment" when the doctor prescribed unnecessary medication.

In the spectacularly disingenuous edited version of that response you're claiming that, gee whillikers!! maybe it didn't even happen at all!!! Of course, we should keep in mind that Lessans clearly and unequivocally wrote:

Quote:
was wrong.
Sure sounds like it happened to me! If it didn't happen, ol' Seymour was lying through his goddamn teeth. Surprise surprise, eh?

Also, on the events as your father relayed them, his mother wasn't taking advantage of a "teaching moment" that just happened to arise. She purposely defrauded a doctor into making an unnecessary house call. When the doctor arrived she lied to him, as was her intent all along. When the doctor accepted her fraudulent claims in good faith, the fucked up hag was all like:

The "lesson" she gave was a breathtakingly idiotic non-sequitur. And she purposely wasted health care resources to provide that "lesson." What an abominable piece of shit she must have been.
You still win the prize for being the biggest son of a bitch I've ever encountered. Good bye. You're not worth discussing this book with. What was I thinking? :doh:
Old 06-25-2011, 02:20 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Whoever originally researched and compiled that list of quotes and put it on the Internet owns the copyright to that list of quotes. The order is theirs, as is any commentary or explanatory wording. Stealing the list is stealing their research and compilation.

The person who is attributed owns their own words, and if misquoted could make a case for libel.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
You still win the prize for being the biggest son of a bitch I've ever encountered. Good bye. You're not worth discussing this book with. What was I thinking? :doh:
:lol:

:catlady:

:lol:
Thanks, from:
But (08-03-2015), wildernesse (06-25-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy