Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So you have no evidence.
The evidence is obvious but you don’t want to accept it. Show me a counter example that proves him wrong. You haven’t done that because you can’t. The burden of proof is on him and he described very carefully why dogs cannot recognize through sight and why humans can. You don’t seem interested as to why he used dogs are incapable of sight recognition without other cues such as gait. You didn’t read anything so there’s no point if all you keep saying is he has no evidence. How do astronauts learn about space? Through their powerful telescopes and observation.
You just admitted in your post above this one that there was no evidence. You need to present actual evidence or stop saying there is evidence. Otherwise you are lying.

I did read every use of the word dog in what you linked and saw no evidence. You can tell me what page/paragraph it is presented on if you still want to claim it is there.
I don't believe you read the chapter. You expect a certain kind of evidence, which already proves to me that you were not open to his observations. Show me a dog that can recognize his master from a picture. He should be able to if the light is carrying the image to his eye. Show me that a dog can recognize his master from a computer screen. The light should easily reach his eye in order for recognition to occur. Why then can't he? Dogs can identify certain objects because they have formed a relationship between the object/behavior and the sound or command, but when recognition becomes more difficult, such as identifying facial characteristics, they don't have the ability to distinguish between one face and another. This could easily be demonstrated using an experiment. Line up ten people who have a similar shape. Then without the ability to get a whiff of his master (which would be a giveaway and ruin the experiment), see what happens. If the light from his master in a lineup is traveling to his eye, he should immediately give some indication that recognition has taken place whether it's turning toward his master, running up to him without his sense of smell kicking in, or some other indication. But this never happens. Dogs need their sense of smell or sound (to a lesser degree) as confirmation. Even my own dog would slowly come up to me not knowing if it was actually me when I walked in the house until he recognized me by smell. I don't know about you, but observation gives us a clear indication that this is true. Can't you see how convinced people are that the eyes are a sense organ because science says it's been settled? You don't think this influences people to poke jabs at this author? Of course it does. If you are sincerely interested, then read Chapter Two. It's spelled out for you. If you're not interested, please don't keep asking me for evidence. Thanking you in advance.

Adobe Acrobat

403 Forbidden
Blah blah blah.

As noted, we’ve already given you links to science studies showing that dogs can recognize their human partners from photos and videos alone, by sight alone, and more recently, studies showing dogs can converse with us using soundboards and understand what we and they are saying.
I saw the flawed experiment with levers. I have never seen a photo or video alone that indicated dogs can recognize their masters. None. Send them to me if you can find them. Where did soundboards enter into this? We are talking about sight, not sound. Why are you conflating the two?

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
-FX- (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 07:36 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you have no evidence.
The evidence is obvious but you don’t want to accept it. Show me a counter example that proves him wrong. You haven’t done that because you can’t. The burden of proof is on him and he described very carefully why dogs cannot recognize through sight and why humans can. You don’t seem interested as to why he used dogs are incapable of sight recognition without other cues such as gait. You didn’t read anything so there’s no point if all you keep saying is he has no evidence. How do astronauts learn about space? Through their powerful telescopes and observation.
You just admitted in your post above this one that there was no evidence. You need to present actual evidence or stop saying there is evidence. Otherwise you are lying.

I did read every use of the word dog in what you linked and saw no evidence. You can tell me what page/paragraph it is presented on if you still want to claim it is there.
I don't believe you read the chapter. You expect a certain kind of evidence, which already proves to me that you were not open to his observations. Show me a dog that can recognize his master from a picture. He should be able to if the light is carrying the image to his eye. Show me that a dog can recognize his master from a computer screen. The light should easily reach his eye in order for recognition to occur. Why then can't he? Dogs can identify certain objects because they have formed a relationship between the object/behavior and the sound or command, but when recognition becomes more difficult, such as identifying facial characteristics, they don't have the ability to distinguish between one face and another. This could easily be demonstrated using an experiment. Line up ten people who have a similar shape. Then without the ability to get a whiff of his master (which would be a giveaway and ruin the experiment), see what happens. If the light from his master in a lineup is traveling to his eye, he should immediately give some indication that recognition has taken place whether it's turning toward his master, running up to him without his sense of smell kicking in, or some other indication. But this never happens. Dogs need their sense of smell or sound (to a lesser degree) as confirmation. Even my own dog would slowly come up to me not knowing if it was actually me when I walked in the house until he recognized me by smell. I don't know about you, but observation gives us a clear indication that this is true. Can't you see how convinced people are that the eyes are a sense organ because science says it's been settled? You don't think this influences people to poke jabs at this author? Of course it does. If you are sincerely interested, then read Chapter Two. It's spelled out for you. If you're not interested, please don't keep asking me for evidence. Thanking you in advance.

Adobe Acrobat

403 Forbidden
Blah blah blah.

As noted, we’ve already given you links to science studies showing that dogs can recognize their human partners from photos and videos alone, by sight alone, and more recently, studies showing dogs can converse with us using soundboards and understand what we and they are saying.
I saw the flawed experiment with levers. I have never seen a photo or video alone that indicated dogs can recognize their masters. None. Send them to me if you can find them. Where did soundboards enter into this? We are talking about sight, not sound. Why are you conflating the two?

I already did, years ago, and I’m not going to do it again. Do your own research. The soundboard links is higher in this thread. Do you not even read?
Old 09-12-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you have no evidence.

Adobe Acrobat

403 Forbidden
Blah blah blah.

I already did, years ago, and I’m not going to do it again. Do your own research. The soundboard links is higher in this thread. Do you not even read?
Why the snarkiness? Are you going to start that all over again? I've looked and have found nothing that show dogs recognize their masters from a computer screen or a picture without the use of sound or movement (gait), even with AI. Dogs can be conditioned to give certain responses (like the lever example), but this does not prove the claim that dogs can recognize by sight due to light waves traveling to their eyes and brain. They would recognize their master immediately if this were true, but this doesn't happen. You will continue to disregard his very astute observation probably because of cognitive/dissonance. You can't handle it. Anyway, if you are so sure he's wrong, why are you wasting your time here?

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 09-12-2024, 08:22 PM

David, you wrote this: As noted, we’ve already given you links to science studies showing that dogs can recognize their human partners from photos and videos alone, by sight alone, and more recently, studies showing dogs can converse with us using soundboards and understand what we and they are saying.

Peacegirl: What does this have to do with sight? You are doing this because you have nothing else.

MSN.

Old 09-12-2024, 08:33 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
David, you wrote this: As noted, we’ve already given you links to science studies showing that dogs can recognize their human partners from photos and videos alone, by sight alone, and more recently, studies showing dogs can converse with us using soundboards and understand what we and they are saying.

Peacegirl: What does this have to do with sight? You are doing this because you have nothing else.

MSN.
Peacegirl, nobody here is going down the rabbit hole with you again. We are here purely for this lulz.
Old 09-12-2024, 08:47 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Why don’t you try your hand at the revived iidb? Maybe you’ll have better luck this time. :yup: They have pretty brisk participation. .
Old 09-12-2024, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Why don’t you try your hand at the revived iidb? Maybe you’ll have better luck this time. :yup: They have pretty brisk participation. .
Speak for yourself David. You just can't understand purposely or not that this is not compatibilist free will. I explained it to you, but you ignore me. You cannot bring yourself to agree with anything because you've committed yourself to disagree at all costs. I don't like these forums because of the arrogance, and I won't spend much time at any. I came back here because I happened to find another video where a dog smelled his owner in a store after months of not seeing her and started wagging his tail with such excitement. There are no videos like this where sight is concerned. There are videos where they condition dogs to do certain things for a treat. This is not the same thing!!! :doh:

Old 09-12-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for refreshing my memory. I just went there. I must have been deleted when they changed names, so it's starting over again. I may join just to fill in the time while I'm trying to market. I have to reach people who are familiar with the free will/determinism debate otherwise it will be a waste of time.

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-12-2024 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:06 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean "revived?"
It was gone for a long time, then it came back under new management. Try it! :yup: You might like it. Lots of people are posting there, most of whom have never heard of the book.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-12-2024), Crumb (09-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 10:51 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Gosh, maybe they also need to hear from me, as I am the True Steward of the Authentic Text? So they can do their own research - free of charge, of course - and not waste money on some hack hawking a Corrupted Text for lucre.
Thanks, from:
davidm (09-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 11:05 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Yes, peacegirl, I strongly suggest you start a new Revolution in Thought thread at iidb. :yup:
Old 09-13-2024, 02:37 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

If that happens someone must link me to it.
Old 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Try it! :yup:
By all means! Surely it would go much differently than the last time.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
davidm (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was gone for a long time, then it came back under new management. Try it! :yup: You might like it. Lots of people are posting there, most of whom have never heard of the book.
Thanks David. I just joined but I'm hesitant to open this can of worms again, although I feel compelled to do whatever I can to bring this discovery to light. Before my time is up on this earth, I will keep trying. I just hope there is decent moderation there because I will not tolerate the bad-mouthing that I experienced here.

Old 09-13-2024, 01:55 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks David. I just joined but I'm hesitant to open this can of worms again, although I feel compelled to do whatever I can to bring this discovery to light. Before my time is up on this earth, I will keep trying. I just hope there is decent moderation there because I will not tolerate the bad-mouthing that I experienced here.
Yes, it is moderated, no insults or ad homs, no name-calling, etc, so you should do just fine, and it’s under new management. Go for it! :yup:
Old 09-13-2024, 02:28 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Just a word to the wise, peacegirl, iidb puts the first few posts or so of a new member into a moderation queue (see? moderation!) to evaluate whether the new poster is a troll or maybe batshit insane. So, take it easy at first, maybe just write a bland post introducing yourself and how happy you are to be there. Stuff like that. :yup:
Thanks, from:
peacegirl (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 05:27 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
BTW, I am the true steward of this work.
That is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
So they can do their own research - free of charge, of course - and not waste money on some hack hawking a Corrupted Text for lucre.
As always, true stewardship is a labor of love!

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
davidm (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Just a word to the wise, peacegirl, iidb puts the first few posts or so of a new member into a moderation queue (see? moderation!) to evaluate whether the new poster is a troll or maybe batshit insane. So, take it easy at first, maybe just write a bland post introducing yourself and how happy you are to be there. Stuff like that. :yup:
I really do appreciate the tip! It's all about first impressions, I suppose. The thing is, I know broaching these subjects (determinism, the eyes, and death) are going to bring up a lot of resistance, which is okay, as long as the conversation stays productive and there are no attacks. I also want to give some credit to this place. Maturin taught me about vetting my sources which has gone a long way to my being a legitimate source of information. In the end, I overcame the insults, the lulz, the bad-mouthing, the false accusations, the outright lies, the jokes at my expense, the ad hominems, the exploitation, etc. Chuck came into this thread like a bull on steroids. He tried to ruin it for me altogether, but he didn't. Thanks to all the narcissists here for giving me a thick skin. For this I am forever grateful! :prayer:

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-13-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2024, 06:18 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
I really do appreciate the tip! It's all about first impressions, I suppose. The thing is, I know broaching these subjects (determinism, the eyes, and death) are going to bring up a lot of resistance, which is okay, as long as the conversation stays productive and there are no attacks. I also want to give some credit to this place. Maturin taught me about vetting my sources which has gone a long way to my being a legitimate source of information. In the end, I overcame the insults, the lulz, the bad-mouthing, the false accusations, the outright lies, the jokes at my expense, the ad hominems, the exploitation, etc. Chuck came into this thread like a bull on steroids. He tried to ruin it for me altogether, but he didn't. Thanks to all the narcissists here for giving me a thick skin. For this I am forever grateful! :prayer:
On behalf of all the narcissists here, particularly ChuckF, the liar in wolf’s clothing, bull on steroids, and True Steward of the Authentic Text, you are welcome. :yup:

I’d suggesting starting slowly, with a thread such as “A new look at determinism and free will,” and avoid, at least in the first few posts, all the stuff about a revolution in thought that will mean the end of all evil.
Old 09-13-2024, 06:49 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Maturin taught me about vetting my sources which has gone a long way to my being a legitimate source of information.
To your credit, you learned that lesson very well, as evidenced by the quality of the sources cited in that vaccines thread. Your persistence is remarkable, peacegirl; I don't think anyone here would deny that.

Quote:
bull on steroids
If that had been something like "bull in a China pudding steroid shop," a custom user title change might have been in order. As it is, though, "liar in wolf's clothing" is still better.

Thanks, from:
davidm (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On behalf of all the narcissists here, particularly ChuckF, the liar in wolf’s clothing, bull on steroids, and True Steward of the Authentic Text, you are welcome. :yup:

I’d suggesting starting slowly, with a thread such as “A new look at determinism and free will,” and avoid, at least in the first few posts, all the stuff about a revolution in thought that will mean the end of all evil.
How about this? Revolution in Thought -- A New Look at determinism and free will.

Old 09-13-2024, 07:21 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about this? Revolution in Thought -- A New Look at determinism and free will.
That sounds fine. Just don’t overpromise in the first post — avoid in the first post talk about ending all evil, etc. It will immediately set everyone on edge. Ease into it slowly.
Old 09-13-2024, 07:23 PM
Spiffiest wanger

I’d also suggest before starting the thread, make a nice intro post. I think they have an “introduce yourself” thread or somr such in the Lounge.
Old 09-13-2024, 07:25 PM
Spiffiest wanger

It’s right here.
Old 09-13-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds fine. Just don’t overpromise in the first post — avoid in the first post talk about ending all evil, etc. It will immediately set everyone on edge. Ease into it slowly.
Thanks for your input! Eventually though I'm going to have to mention his claims because that's why I signed up.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy