Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
He would have criticized you for ruining his book, failing to sell a single copy, and turning him into a complete laughing stock all across the internet. He would not have been impressed with your blatant lying either.
He would have been so proud of me for carrying the ball. He knew how difficult it would be to break through the stubborn resistance that he himself experienced firsthand so long ago.
What's to be proud of? You haven't achieved anything other than to corrupt his text, sell zero books, and make him a laughing stock all across the internet while discrediting yourself with your constant lies and evasion. What kind of father would be proud of that?
Because he knew what I was up against, and he would have given me credit for making such a difficult attempt. Many people wouldn't have even tried.
So you think you deserve credit for trying yet failing, and then resorting to lies and evasion?
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. :yup:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Quote:
So you think you deserve credit for trying yet failing, and then resorting to lies and evasion?
Which you have corrupted to:

:catlady:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First of all, you have the wrong book.
peacegirl, why do you believe I have the wrong book?
Because this was Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought.
peacegirl, why do you believe I have the wrong book?

Quote:
I did remove homosexual because it would be used against him like you're doing right now, but I did not replace it with adultery.
peacegirl, how have I "used it against him"? I just asked what the factual basis for that conclusion was - you indicated that there is none. Ok.
He didn't make this a claim. He believed this to be true based on the times he was living in. Now we know there is often a genetic basis for our preferences.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
peacegirl, did you corrupt the tape, beginning around 16:20?
I just told you I took out that one word. Why do you keep repeating the same question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
peacegirl, you took out more than one word. Why do you keep lying?
A sentence or a couple of sentences, whatever. :rolleyes: I took out nothing else. Stop calling me a liar. I didn't want anything to get in the way of people studying these principles. I was right to take it out. Maybe it backfired but at the very least the book is being discussed which is better than nothing.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), ChuckF (08-10-2016), Vivisectus (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which you have corrupted to:

:catlady:
So funny I forgot to laugh. :rolleyes:

Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Quote:
So when the Authentic Text states that "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" what this means is that 98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence because of..."people not being able to find someone of their own sex?" Do you mean people not being able to find someone of the opposite sex?

peacegirl, from what data set is this conclusion derived? What facts support this conclusion?
This was not a claim where he needed a data set.
peacegirl, how do you know he did not "need" a data set to make this claim? How did you determine that, peacegirl? Where did 98% come from - what was the basis of claiming that "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" rather than, say, 97%, or 63%?

peacegirl, what kinds of claims need data to support them?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), But (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016), Vivisectus (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:21 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
A sentence or a couple of sentences, whatever. :rolleyes: I took out nothing else.
:giggle: The Corrupted Text that you hawk online is corrupt.
Quote:
Stop calling me a liar.
peacegirl, why do you keep saying things that are demonstrably untrue?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), Dragar (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Stop calling me a liar.
Stop lying.
Angakuk (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

First it was just one word.
Then it was just one sentence.
Then it was just a couple of sentences.

When will this nightmare end?

The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
So according to you the book contains assumptions that are presented as claims? And you just decide which is which?
Quote:
These were not claims. You cannot use this as a reason to dismiss his entire discovery.
I suppose you are right: they are presented as facts, complete with a percentage even. And look! It is not 99%, but a precise 98%.

But it turns out this is a mere assumption?

So what else is presented as fact, but turns out to be just an assumption?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), But (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So when the Authentic Text states that "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" what this means is that 98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence because of..."people not being able to find someone of their own sex?" Do you mean people not being able to find someone of the opposite sex?

peacegirl, from what data set is this conclusion derived? What facts support this conclusion?
This was not a claim where he needed a data set.
peacegirl, how do you know he did not "need" a data set to make this claim?
It wasn't a claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
How did you determine that, peacegirl? Where did 98% come from - what was the basis of claiming that "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" rather than, say, 97%, or 63%?
I don't think he meant 98% to be taken literally. He could have said the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
peacegirl, what kinds of claims need data to support them?
Proof of his claim would be if it works under real life conditions. Testing his claims using the scientific method wouldn't work.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
First it was just one word.
Then it was just one sentence.
Then it was just a couple of sentences.

When will this nightmare end?

What difference, at this point, does it make?
:giggle: It was a small group of sentences at the end of the chapter that mentioned homosexuality. That's all I took out for the reasons given. I may actually put it back in.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
So according to you the book contains assumptions that are presented as claims? And you just decide which is which?
Quote:
These were not claims. You cannot use this as a reason to dismiss his entire discovery.
I suppose you are right: they are presented as facts, complete with a percentage even. And look! It is not 99%, but a precise 98%.

If you choose to believe that his discoveries are nothing more than assumptions because he used 98% to mean "the majority" (he didn't mean 98% to be taken literally which would have to be backed up by data sets), then do what you must do.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:20 PM
puzzler

Quote:
...rather than, say, 97%, or 63%?
Lessans seems to like percentages as a way of making his opinions appear more like facts. In partcular the 98% figure is his way of saying, 'almost everyone', or 'virtually all'. It crops up many times in his works:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Beyond the Framework p14
...yet because it lies hidden behind a theory that 98% of mankind are compelled to believe true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall Foreword
...psychological law that was hermetically sealed behind a logical theory that 98% of mankind holds true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p22
...that a theory exists regarding man's nature that is accepted as true by 98% of mankind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p25
This law of our nature is not a premise, not an assumption, not a theory, but when 98% of the world believes otherwise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p215
If 98% of the government eventually gets displaced because there is no further need for their services...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p329
God, or the force that controls our movement in the direction of greater satisfaction, is forcing us to rely on our body to take care of 98% of all its problems...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p591
...when 98% of mankind believe that man's will is free, and when this belief hermetically seals a door behind which is the discovery that will bring about this Great Transition.
But I only found two occurrences of 99%:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p328
...99% of what now disturbs the body will be warded off because of the perfect condition of the mind and a great many illnesses will be wiped from the face of the earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans Decline and Fall p282
...to do so would be a sign of selfishness and would not reveal their love, replies in 99% of the cases, "No thank you" which means the question will never be asked.
There is a section about interest rates that mention 4%, (10%, 15, 20, 25, 30%).

In other passages about taxes and finances I also found occurrences of 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 8%, 10%, 19%, 20%, 25%, 32%, 36%, 70%, 75%, 80%, 90%.

There are also lots of instances of 100% which is just a Lessans synonym for 'certain'.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
There are also lots of instances of 100% which is just a Lessans synonym for 'certain'.
Mathematical?
Thanks, from:
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
If you choose to believe that his discoveries are nothing more than assumptions because he used 98% to mean "the majority" (he didn't mean 98% to be taken literally which would have to be backed up by data sets), then do what you must do.
Ok, so when he wrote "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" he really meant "the majority of of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love."

peacegirl, what facts support that conclusion? Is there any reason at all to believe that "the majority of of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love"?
Thanks, from:
Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so when he wrote "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" he really meant "the majority of of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love."

peacegirl, what facts support that conclusion? Is there any reason at all to believe that "the majority of of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love"?
I answered you already. You have a habit of repeating yourself. To repeat: He believed that the environment had an influence, but we now know there is a huge genetic component. Regardless, people of all sexual persuasions will be treated with utmost respect. Stop misconstruing what he meant by this statement. Now that this is out of the way (hopefully), and the chapter on sex is over (hopefully), can we now get down to brass tacks to see why his discoveries are true, or are you going to pick on other trivialities just so you can create doubt in the mind of the reader?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
He didn't make this a claim.
Predictably false. Your father wrote, "You will discover that 98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love.' That's a claim, breh. The fact that the statement is laughably false doesn't make it any less a claim.

Quote:
A sentence or a couple of sentences, whatever. :rolleyes: I took out nothing else.
:laugh:

You've removed lots more by your admission. Who do you think you're fooling with these transparent falsehoods?

Quote:
Stop calling me a liar.
That'd require you to stop telling lies, and that just ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
I was right to take it out.
You were right to brutalize the Authentic Text written by the author and published during his lifetime? You have some peculiar ideas about what qualifies as "right."

Quote:
Maybe it backfired ...
Ain't no maybe about it, Cochise.

See, you're not just a liar; you're an extraordinarily poor liar. You were caught in lie after lie after lie for years before Chuck got his hands on the Authentic Text. Going forward, you have zero chance of prevaricating successfully.

Quote:
... but at the very least the book is being discussed which is better than nothing.
It's not so much "the book" that's being discuss as your inept and ham-handed butchery of the Authentic Text.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), But (08-10-2016), ChuckF (08-10-2016), Spacemonkey (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegirl
He believed that the environment had an influence, but we now know there is a huge genetic component.
A huge genetic component you say? How huge? So big that the statement "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" can be considered wrong?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), But (08-10-2016), ChuckF (08-10-2016), Dragar (08-10-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not just the majority, a vast majority. 98 out of every 100.

The problem is that we are supposed to believe that this guy was able to "astutely observe" things that we are then expected to believe. Here we have him making outlandish claims about homosexuality, and trying to make them seem like facts by expressing his opinions by means of a fake percentage.

You seem to agree he was actually wrong about this: you said "we now know there is a huge genetic component".

But on the other hand, we are expected to believe his claims about how conscience works... because according to you they are "astute observations".

It seems your corrupted text is once again dishonestly presented: since neither he nor you present any evidence, we have to make an estimation of his ability to make accurate claims. But claims that he made during his lifetime and that turned out to be wrong are removed.

I wonder if he would approve of such underhanded tactics.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), But (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
He believed that the environment had an influence, but we now know there is a huge genetic component.
A huge genetic component you say? How huge? So big that the statement "98% of homo-sexual intercourse comes into existence only because boys and girls are denied the opportunity to indulge with the opposite sex and fall in love" can be considered wrong?
Why are you harping on this? This was not his claim. It didn't require data because that was not what he was trying to prove. I would have talked about how this could be used against him and maybe he would have changed his wording, but you have to realize that this had nothing to do with his claims which came from observation. Observation is one aspect of scientific methodology.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Lessans seems to like percentages as a way of making his opinions appear more like facts. In partcular the 98% figure is his way of saying, 'almost everyone', or 'virtually all'. It crops up many times in his works:

Quote:
...yet because it lies hidden behind a theory that 98% of mankind are compelled to believe true...
Quote:
...psychological law that was hermetically sealed behind a logical theory that 98% of mankind holds true...
Quote:
...that a theory exists regarding man's nature that is accepted as true by 98% of mankind
Quote:
This law of our nature is not a premise, not an assumption, not a theory, but when 98% of the world believes otherwise...
Quote:
If 98% of the government eventually gets displaced because there is no further need for their services...
Quote:
God, or the force that controls our movement in the direction of greater satisfaction, is forcing us to rely on our body to take care of 98% of all its problems...
Quote:
...when 98% of mankind believe that man's will is free, and when this belief hermetically seals a door behind which is the discovery that will bring about this Great Transition.

Quote:
...99% of what now disturbs the body will be warded off because of the perfect condition of the mind and a great many illnesses will be wiped from the face of the earth.
Quote:
...to do so would be a sign of selfishness and would not reveal their love, replies in 99% of the cases, "No thank you" which means the question will never be asked.
There is a section about interest rates that mention 4%, (10%, 15, 20, 25, 30%).

In other passages about taxes and finances I also found occurrences of 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 8%, 10%, 19%, 20%, 25%, 32%, 36%, 70%, 75%, 80%, 90%.

98% of Lessans' statistics were made up bullshit.

(The other 2% were editorial insertions from the corrupter of authentic texts.)
Angakuk (08-10-2016), Dragar (08-10-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I already told you that this was not his claim. He was making a generalization. I believe he would have changed that sentence if he had known the grief it was going to cause.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

98% of Lessans' statistics were made up bullshit.

(The other 2% were editorial insertions from the corrupter of authentic texts.)
What the hell are you talking about now Spacemonkey? You're all washed up. He did not make up numbers. You just can't follow the math in the economic chapter. Don't blame him for that.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Hm. That's interesting. How did we figure out that there is a "huge genetic component?" Sounds awfully science-y.
Quote:
Stop misconstruing what he meant by this statement.
peacegirl, you are the only one construing this statement at all.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-10-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

:loud:
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (08-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-10-2016), The Man (08-10-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy