Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:

Definitions mean absolutely nothing where reality is
concerned. Regardless of what words I use to describe the sun;
regardless of how much there is I don’t know about this ball of fire
does not negate the fact that it is a part of the real world.
:lol: The Sun is not a ball of fire.
There you go nitpicking again. Saying the Sun is a ball of fire was perfectly fine in the context of that paragraph. He didn't have to get into detail; that wasn't the purpose. He was trying to help people see that it doesn't matter what word we use to describe an object; what matters is that the word is describing something real. These answers are close enough for me and would have been close enough for him. You will continue to criticize me because that's why you're here. It gives you great satisfaction to call me a liar and join in with everyone else.

Is the Sun really a ball of fire?

Answer A: Yes the sun is constantly "on fire" Though actually, the word "fire" does not do it justice. The sun is in a state of Plasma. The 4th state of matter. At extreme pressures and temperature matter becomes plasma. Extreme nuclear reactions are happening. Many of the complex elements on the periodic table are created within the burning center of a star, such as Uranium and other hvy matter.
Fire as we know it needs oxygen to burn, but in this situation oxygen is not needed. The extreme temperatures and pressures, Hydrogen nuclear reactions fuel a star, the byproducts being the heavier elements.

Answer B: The sun is very massive and very hot. Its mass comes from the hydrogen of which it is mostly composed, and the heat comes from the fusion of hydrogen into helium. As it was mentioned before, there are some metals in the sun, resulting from the fusion of hydrogen and helium into heavier elements.

To more directly answer your question, the sun is a ball of fire, but the fire does not come from the kind of combustion reactions that we are used to on earth. Normal combustion involves a flammable substance combining with oxygen, producing carbon dioxide, water, and heat. This heat excites the particles in the air to the point that their electrons separate from their nuclei, forming a plasma. In the sun, the plasma forms from the heat that comes from the sun's nuclear fusion.
It's not "nitpicking" to point out that the Sun is not a ball of fire. You're just upset because -- once again -- it has been pointed out that Lessans didn't know what he was talking about.

And your source is "Yahoo Answers"? :lol: :lol: :lol: And even your source points out that the Sun is "burning" only if you use inaccurate and incorrect definitions of the words "fire" and "burning."

Burning is a chemical reaction; the Sun is powered by nuclear fusion and is "burning" only if you define "burning" to mean something entirely different from its actual meaning.

Not that making up new definitions to avoid admitting error is anything new to either your or your father.

Calling the Sun a "ball of fire" just makes Lessans sound ignorant.
You are looking for something to criticize, which is your goal (and people will listen to an authority figure due to their position in academia) that has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with the essence of this revolutionary discovery. You're doing this in an effort to discredit my father with the stupidest of reasons. Admit it TLR, because that is exactly what you're doing. If you can't bring him down directly, you will pick on his writing style to try to get people to discount any value in his content. The unsuspecting individual will take what you say at face value and give up on this knowledge. How sad!

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-09-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Re: no understanding at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB View Post
Quote:
Definitions can be useful to serve one's purpose but that does not mean the definition itself reflects reality in any way.
The purpose of definitions is to assure that we are talking about the same thing. Your 'we have no free will, whatever the definition' shows you have not even understood this simple fact.

Quote:
Definitions mean absolutely nothing where reality is
concerned. Regardless of what words I use to describe the sun;
regardless of how much there is I don’t know about this ball of fire
does not negate the fact that it is a part of the real world.
Your mindset is set in the stone of your oracle.
You are in oblivion. Definitions mean nothing if they don't reflect what is real. REALITY!! We have no free will regardless of what definitions you are trying to prove this fact wrong. You are in such denial there's no use carrying on a productive conversation, so let's end it.

Quote:
You won't know who is right if you don't hear the explanation. How can you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB
You won't understand anything as long as you do not see what the function of definitions is, and how they relate to reality. Your father's remark 'Definitions mean absolutely nothing where reality is concerned.' is BS. Yes, definitions are not reality, but they have a relationship with reality. How else could we ever talk about reality??
You're wrong and you're defensive to the point where there IS no chance of a meaningful conversation. You refuse to temporarily give up the notion that we have free will of the compatibilist kind or any kind in order for me to move forward. Being able to choose between alternatives does not mean our choices are FREE, not even when there is no external pressure; not even when there is no obsessive compulsive component in making that choice; and not even when there is reasoning involved. But you won't let me continue, so we're done GdB. Go back to your faulty thought system and be happy.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
...not even when there is no obsessive compulsive component in making that choice...
Is there an obsessive compulsive component in your repeatedly choosing to lie when refusing to answer my questions?
Angakuk (07-12-2016), The Man (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
...not even when there is no obsessive compulsive component in making that choice...
Is there an obsessive compulsive component in your repeatedly choosing to lie when refusing to answer my questions?
No, but there is a definite obsessive compulsive component when you can't stop harrassing me. :D

Old 07-09-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, but there is a definite obsessive compulsive component when you can't stop harrassing me. :D
How is it harassment to point out your lies? And why do you choose to lie when refusing to answer my questions?
Old 07-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You are in oblivion. Definitions mean nothing if they don't reflect what is real. REALITY!! We have no free will regardless of what definitions you are trying to prove this fact wrong. You are in such denial there's no use carrying on a productive conversation, so let's end it.
:wave:

Quote:
Go back to your faulty thought system and be happy.
:yup:

And you, live the unhappy life of the daughter of the unrecognised genius. Unrecognised, for ever. We all know why.

But, you, you understand nothing, Peacegirl.
Thanks, from:
Old 07-09-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Go back to your faulty thought system and be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB
:yup:
You're very vindictive. I should hold you accountable for not choosing a better option than this silliness. You could have chosen differently given your free options. :giggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB
And you, live the unhappy life of the daughter of the unrecognised genius. Unrecognised, for ever. We all know why.

But, you, you understand nothing, Peacegirl.
You seem to be convinced that he has nothing of importance to offer. How much sense does that make when you can't even identify what his discovery is? Even though I see your ignorance, I can't blame you for it since you don't know any better and could not have chosen another alternative than the one you chose. :chin:

Old 07-09-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How is it harassment to point out your lies? And why do you choose to lie when refusing to answer my questions?
If you know Lessans has nothing of value to offer, then your constant harrassment is just another form of obsessive compulsive disorder. :laugh:

Old 07-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you know Lessans has nothing of value to offer, then your constant harrassment is just another form of obsessive compulsive disorder. :laugh:
Again, what harassment? How does any of this explain your constant lying?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Refusing to answer the same questions is not lying Spacemonkey. Read the definition.

lie
noun

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
Synonyms: prevarication, falsification.
Antonyms: truth.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Refusing to answer the same questions is not lying Spacemonkey. Read the definition.
I didn't say that was lying. However, dishonestly claiming to have already answered them when you haven't, as an excuse for refusing to answer them, is LYING. And you've been caught doing exactly that countless times already. So what explains your constant lying?
The Man (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say that was lying. However, dishonestly claiming to have already answered them when you haven't, as an excuse for refusing to answer them, is LYING. And you've been caught doing exactly that countless times already. So what explains your constant lying?
BS Spacemonkey. You know you're the one lying. Stop projecting. I have answered your question over the course of many weeks. You're just not happy with my answers and you want to pin me down. I'm sure the conversation can be found using keywords. You are on a different wavelength than I am (no pun intended :laugh:). There is no way in hell you will be able to make sense of this claim given your present beliefs.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
False Spacemonkey and you know you're the one lying. Stop projecting. I have answered your questions many times over. You are on a different wavelength than me (no pun intended :laugh) and there is no way you will be able to make sense of this claim given your present ideas.
I am not lying at all. YOU ARE. You have never once answered the five questions I have been posting, and you damn well know it. Every time you've been called out on this LIE and challenged to quote a post where you have allegedly answered these questions you have weaseled out and refused to even try. You know it's a LIE, so why do you repeat it?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
False Spacemonkey and you know you're the one lying. Stop projecting. I have answered your questions many times over. You are on a different wavelength than me (no pun intended :laugh) and there is no way you will be able to make sense of this claim given your present ideas.
I am not lying at all. YOU ARE. You have never once answered the five questions I have been posting, and you damn well know it. Every time you've been called out on this LIE and challenged to quote a post where you have allegedly answered these questions you have weaseled out and refused to even try. You know it's a LIE, so why do you repeat it?
I HAVE ANSWERED YOU. You don't like my answer, is all. You want to force some kind of concession out of me and that's not going to happen. :sadcheer:

Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I HAVE ANSWERED YOU. You don't like my answer, is all. You want to force some kind of concession out of me and that's not going to happen. :sadcheer:
There's that LIE again. You have NEVER answered these questions, so why do you keep claiming you have? It is a bald-faced LIE and everyone here knows it. You still won't even try to show us where you think you've answered them, so who do you think you're fooling? Why repeat a LIE like this that everyone here knows to be completely false? Have you actually repeated the LIE so many times now that it has become part of your delusional psychosis?

If you've answered them before, then in which post did you answer them?

If I didn't like your answers, then what were these answers that I allegedly don't like?

If you weren't LYING, you'd have answers to these two questions.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the conversation can be found using keywords.
What a crock of shit. Besides, of what value are these mythical past answers of yours if YOU CAN'T FIND THEM, and neither of us even KNOW WHAT THEY WERE???

That alone is enough reason for you to spend the 30 seconds it would take to actually answer them now instead of continuing to lie and evade.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I HAVE ANSWERED YOU.
:lolfruits:

Who do you think you're fooling with this bullshit? Every single person here who has interacted with you knows you have NEVER answered the questions that :monkey: has repeatedly posted, and everyone here knows why: You CAN"T answer them because no matter what answer you give, it destroys your claims!

So who do you think you're fooling? No one here. Why don't you just fuck off? :wave:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-12-2016), But (07-09-2016), Spacemonkey (07-09-2016), The Man (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's that LIE again. You have NEVER answered these questions, so why do you keep claiming you have? It is a bald-faced LIE and everyone here knows it. You still won't even try to show us where you think you've answered them, so who do you think you're fooling? Why repeat a LIE like this that everyone here knows to be completely false? Have you actually repeated the LIE so many times now that it has become part of your delusional psychosis?

If you've answered them before, then in which post did you answer them?

If I didn't like your answers, then what were these answers that I allegedly don't like?

If you weren't LYING, you'd have answers to these two questions.
I have spoken to you for 5 years. I know what you're going to say. Light bounces off of objects and the information is reflected over large distances until it reaches the eye or film. This is all in delayed time. There is no other way of looking at it. Case closed.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I have spoken to you for 5 years. I know what you're going to say. Light bounces off of objects and the information is reflected over large distances until it reaches the eye or film. This is all in delayed time. There is no other way of looking at it. Case closed.
You are dodging the issue again.

WHY. DO. YOU. KEEP. LYING. ABOUT. HAVING. ANSWERED. THESE. QUESTIONS???

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:
Old 07-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Either ANSWER these questions, or quote me your alleged previous answers.

You need photons at the camera film or retina when the Sun is first ignited.
Are they traveling photons?
Did they come from the Sun?
Did they get to the film/retina by traveling?
Did they travel at the speed of light?
Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?
Old 07-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
I HAVE ANSWERED YOU.
:lolfruits:

Who do you think you're fooling with this bullshit? Every single person here who has interacted with you knows you have NEVER answered the questions that :monkey: has repeatedly posted, and everyone here knows why: You CAN"T answer them because no matter what answer you give, it destroys your claims!

So who do you think you're fooling? No one here. Why don't you just fuck off? :wave:
I can't talk to people who believe in wormholes, time machines and free will. :biglaugh:

Old 07-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I answered these already. I will answer one more time and that's it. Your logic will always tell you it's impossible to see in real time based on your questions. But your questions are problematic.

Yes, the light is traveling.

Light is at the film but not due to travel time. You know this already.

Light travels at the speed of light. That was never disputed.

Light cannot leave the Sun before it is ignited.

Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I answered these already. I will answer one more time and that's it. Your logic will always tell you it's impossible to see in real time based on your questions. But your questions are problematic.

Yes, the light is traveling.

Light is at the film but not due to travel time. You know this already.

Light travels at the speed of light. That was never disputed.

Light cannot leave the Sun before it is ignited.
You still haven't answered the questions I asked. Crucially, you appear to have completely skipped the second question. You need to put a Yes or a No after each question, and answer specifically about the photons I am asking about. I will number the questions so you can number your responses to make it clear which answers go with which questions.

1. Are they traveling photons?
2. Did they come from the Sun?
3. Did they get to the film/retina by traveling?
4. Did they travel at the speed of light?
5. Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

Don't answer about different photons, and don't answer about photons in general. Answer (at least) Yes or No to the (five!) questions actually asked!
Old 07-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

I can't talk to people who believe in wormholes, time machines and free will. :biglaugh:
Says the ignorant hag who doesn't know anything about standard science no matter how many times we have educated you; who still doesn't understand the difference between libertarian and compatibilist free will, no matter how many times we have educated you; and who thinks that NASA is poisoning the minds of children by posting a page explaining time dilation to them (which topic you still don't grasp, either, no matter how many times we have educated you.)

How many followers have you won over during your 15 years on the Internet, hmm? :chin:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-12-2016), But (07-09-2016), The Man (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Sorry, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

I think my explanation was pretty clear. Read it again and tell me what part you don't understand.

Quote:
You're looking at the Sun. Light travels in a straight line, so along that straight line there must be a position where the Sun was at some point in the past. Let's say you're right and the Sun isn't where you see it. But light is hitting you from that direction. It must have traveled in a straight line. Draw that line. In your mind or in a a diagram where you look at the solar system from above. The line misses the Sun. But the Sun was never on that line, not 8 minutes ago, not a hundred years ago. Contradiction.
Hmmm - we could work out an earth-centric universe where light curves, and the curvature gets more pronounced the further away from earth things are.

That way, you look at a star that is far away, and the light coming in from that star has actually traveled a curved path.

But I am thinking those lines might get pretty squiggly if you remember that the earth both moves and spins.
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-09-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy