Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
doc, I would do this but at this point in the discussion, I am not going to take a chance that it could somehow get on the internet. But I would definitely tell you if it was correct. I'll tell you this. From A to 0, his proof had 105 combinations, 7 on each line and 15 lines.

Originally Posted by Seymour Lessans
I recently gave a math problem to a student of mathematics. I asked
this person if it was possible to arrange 105 alphabetical squares
divided equally between A and O into groups of 3 so that each of the
15 different letters on a line and in all 35 groups would never be twice
with any other letter.

Do you know what you are saying? Lessans said 105 lettered square, now you are saying 105 combinations, Is a combination a group of 3, do you even know? And what the hell difference would it make if it did get on the internet? If his proof was right it would prove at least that that part of his book was correct. YOU DON'T HAVE A PROOF, this is just more of you stalling, because you have nothing at all to offer. I'm begining to think this is just another one of your made up fictions to fool people.
No, if people could care less about this book, they aren't going to care if he is right about the math problem. I don't think they are interested at all. He was talking about the PROOF of the math problem. The proof had 105 combinations. He went down the list from A to O vertical, and next to each letter he wrote 7 combinations. That's how he found his answer.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
doc, I would do this but at this point in the discussion, I am not going to take a chance that it could somehow get on the internet. But I would definitely tell you if it was correct. I'll tell you this. From A to 0, his proof had 105 combinations, 7 on each line and 15 lines.

with any other letter.

Do you know what you are saying? Lessans said 105 lettered square, now you are saying 105 combinations, Is a combination a group of 3, do you even know? And what the hell difference would it make if it did get on the internet? If his proof was right it would prove at least that that part of his book was correct. YOU DON'T HAVE A PROOF, this is just more of you stalling, because you have nothing at all to offer. I'm begining to think this is just another one of your made up fictions to fool people.
No, if people think he is a crackpot, being right about the math problem isn't going to change their opinion. He was talking about the PROOF of the math problem. The proof had 105 combinations. He went down the list from A to O vertically, and next to each letter he had 7 combinations on each line. Here's an example.

A -- BC - DG -- JM -- EK -- HN -- IL -- FO
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
The Lone Ranger is a biologist, but I don't think you've explained Lessans model of how sight works well enough for him to even begin to map it out.

He already mentioned way back that one of the nerves in question is one way only to the brain, rather than away from it. So that may be pertinent, depending on exactly what Lessan's model is and what it states.
Quote:
A nerve (such as the optic nerve, for example) that contains only afferent fibers can only conduct impulses toward the brain, not away from it.
And I said that this knowledge has to be included in Lessans' mapping. If the optic nerve is afferent, we're not going to change the fact that the fibers are afferent. But there are other ways to map what could be going on using all of the components of the eye. I would like to talk to him or someone else who has expertise in this area to see how efferent vision could actually be a workable model.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

with any other letter.

No, if people think he is a crackpot, being right about the math problem isn't going to change their opinion. He was talking about the PROOF of the math problem. The proof had 105 combinations. He went down the list from A to O vertically, and next to each letter he had 7 combinations on each line. Here's an example.

B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

Lessans instructions said groups of 3, you are showing groups of 2, which is it. Can you even comprehend that it is different? In a previous post you said the first 5 combinations were ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO, now you are changing your story again.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I think this means

ABC ADG AJM AEK AHN AIL AFO
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Perhaps you could describe how these 105 blocks are to be arranged more clearly, peacegirl?
There are 35 sets, 3 in each set. You have to figure out the arrangement such that each of the 15 different letters on a line and in all 35 groups would never be twice with any other letter. It's easier said than done. I wouldn't even attempt it. The top line begins:

ABC DEF GHI JKL MNO

There are 6 more lines to go.

There is your post, now you are not only contradicting reality you are contridicting yourself.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
I think this means

ABC ADG AJM AEK AHN AIL AFO

Still doesn't work, there are only 29 combinations of 3 letters with 15 different letters useing each letter in a group with another letter only once. However there are 455 if you can use letter combinations more than once.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Always keep cool.

Quote:
It does seem that the standard of what is beautiful is becoming more and more universal.
Beauty on the outside means totally nothing, dead eyes only works for playfull dolls.

Quote:
Everyone is trying to live up to Western standards.
Western standards: (M)a back like an ironing board with full of hair,
(F)a face with too many corners, and no lips to kiss.

Quote:
Children don't know what's going on, so when they are not called beautiful, they are hurt.
Yeah , eleven year olds buying make-up with their mother
My daughter plays "Panfu" and has tremendous grades.

Quote:
They grow up believing they are not as pretty as the next one, and it is confirmed by what they see in the mirror.
Try an honest smile instead of looking like a zombie.

Quote:
This has serious ramifications, as if you didn't know. We all see how girls grow up to hate their bodies and their faces.
What you like, what you are good at, what you love, what your hobbies are what you are disgusted with, what your qualities are, how you are with people, what your concerns are, what your convictions are etc........
and what you look like

Quote:
We can tell our children until the cows come home that they are beautiful inside, if not on the outside. That doesn't always help because people who are considered more beautiful get the guys, get the jobs, and get the respect.
From enduring or suffering comes wisdom.

Quote:
The source of the problem comes from the words themselves, and is not easy an easy problem to solve unless we recognize what we're doing and stop using these words in reference to people's physical characteristics.
You sound like a commercial Peace girl.
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!

Last edited by Awareness; 04-28-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: ironing board
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-28-2011), livius drusus (04-28-2011), Sock Puppet (04-28-2011), Stormlight (04-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awareness View Post
Western standards: (M)a back like an ironing bord with full of hair,
(F)a face with too many corners, and no lips to kiss.
:lovey:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (04-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Last edited by Awareness; Today at 06:13 PM. Reason: ironing board
:giggle:
Thanks, from:
Adam (04-28-2011), livius drusus (04-28-2011), Sock Puppet (04-28-2011), Stormlight (04-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
A child might like a certain food but feel pressured to go along with his friends. That's called peer pressure.
When I was in elementary and middle school, and we brought lunches to school, sometimes I would get liverwurst (Braunschweiger) and cucumber sandwiches. Liver and cucumber is a popular combination in Sweden.

The other kids thought it was gross. But that only made me like it more.

Also just post your damn proof. What bad thing is going to happen if we find out your dad was actually right about something?

You're hiding this like it's the recipe for Coca-Cola or something.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
A child might like a certain food but feel pressured to go along with his friends. That's called peer pressure.
When I was in elementary and middle school, and we brought lunches to school, sometimes I would get liverwurst (Braunschweiger) and cucumber sandwiches. Liver and cucumber is a popular combination in Sweden.

The other kids thought it was gross. But that only made me like it more.

Also just post your damn proof. What bad thing is going to happen if we find out your dad was actually right about something?

You're hiding this like it's the recipe for Coca-Cola or something.
She's hiding it because she doesn't know and can't figure out if its correct or not, either that or she doesn't have a proof at all and is just stringing everyone along. Many years ago I did a quiz for a prize, I won. When I collected the prize the author of the quiz admidted that the one question was just 'fishing' for the answer, which I got correct, but no-one else knew the answer, not even the author of the quiz. Peacegirl is just fishing for the answer, which she will than claim was Lessans answer, congratulate the one who discovered it, and then claim that this goes to validate the rest of the book and Lessans theory. Big fishing trip, she's dangeling the bait, and we are the suckers.
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:

B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
I'm seeing a problem here, though. As you go down the list, you run out of letters to make 7 combinations. Even just considering the first and last lines of your example, the A line and the O line:
A -- BC -- DG -- JM -- EK -- HN -- IL -- FO
O -- BC -- DG -- JM -- EK -- HN -- IL -- FA
See the problem? O has already been paired with F, in the set with A. So you can't get 7 sets with O like you could with A, there aren't enough letters to go around. Even scrambling the letters of the O line into some other order, like:
O -- GM -- JI -- KL -- EB -- CH -- DA -- NF
we still have the problem of F, as well as A, which O has already been in a set with. This problem is present in all the lines after the first. How does Lessans address this problem in his solution?

As I said I'm not very good with puzzles. Could you post your dad's solution at some point? Perhaps I am missing something, or perhaps your dad didn't really find a solution.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
I'm seeing a problem here, though. As you go down the list, you run out of letters to make 7 combinations. Even just considering the first and last lines of your example, the A line and the O line:
A -- BC -- DG -- JM -- EK -- HN -- IL -- FO
O -- BC -- DG -- JM -- EK -- HN -- IL -- FA
See the problem? O has already been paired with F, in the set with A. So you can't get 7 sets with O like you could with A, there aren't enough letters to go around. Even scrambling the letters of the O line into some other order, like:
O -- GM -- JI -- KL -- EB -- CH -- DA -- NF
we still have the problem of F, as well as A, which O has already been in a set with. This problem is present in all the lines after the first. How does Lessans address this problem in his solution?

As I said I'm not very good with puzzles. Could you post your dad's solution at some point? Perhaps I am missing something, or perhaps your dad didn't really find a solution.

You have also paired B with C twice, which is not allowed, as well as the next 5 pairs are all repetes which is not allowed. As I said before She is fishing for a solution, so she can go to the next forum with this much proof of anything Lessans wrote, to launch a thread with 'proof'.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Peacegirl is just fishing for the answer, which she will than claim was Lessans answer, congratulate the one who discovered it, and then claim that this goes to validate the rest of the book and Lessans theory. Big fishing trip, she's dangeling the bait, and we are the suckers.
DING!DING!DING!DING!

Or she will just keep telling everyone they are "wrong" by changing the rules of the puzzle as she has done HERE.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
As I said before She is fishing for a solution, so she can go to the next forum with this much proof of anything Lessans wrote, to launch a thread with 'proof'.
:yup:

And, even if he WAS right about this, it would not make the eye an efferent organ.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Doctor X, have you tried to solve the puzzle? or are you smart enough to not bother? Some of us are actually dumb enough to try, and this after reading a good part of the book, that was another really dumb thing to do.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:
As I said before She is fishing for a solution, so she can go to the next forum with this much proof of anything Lessans wrote, to launch a thread with 'proof'.

And, even if he WAS right about this, it would not make the eye an efferent organ.

--J.D.

Yes but she could use this as 'guilt by associaton', if one thing can be shown as true then other things could also be true. Daddy was right about the puzzle, why can't you accept that he was right about 'free will' 'Eyes' etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
or are you smart enough to not bother?
That. :rich:

--J.D.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:

Yes but she could use this as 'guilt by associaton', if one thing can be shown as true then other things could also be true. Daddy was right about the puzzle, why can't you accept that he was right about 'free will' 'Eyes' etc.
No, I tried that on Nicole Kidman. Her bodyguards poured A1 SauceŠ on me then used me to exercise the fucking guard dogs. I HATE FUCKING GUARD DOGS!

--J.D.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
From a peer reviewed scientific journal

Quote:
Dogs, but not cats, can readily recognize the face of their handler
Shortly after weaning, twelve pure-breed beagles and twelve domestic cats were each assigned a different human handler who worked with the animal for two hours each day for six months. The animals were trained to work in a two-alternative forced choice testing apparatus and mastered many different types of pattern and object discriminations. At about 9 months of age, each animal was tested on four different visual discriminations (for 50 trials each), with both stimuli in each pair being rewarded on all trials. Stimulus pairs and results: 1) The face of the handler versus an unfamiliar face. Dogs chose the face of their handler at 88.2%, while the cats chose their handler at 54.5%. 2) The face of an animal that lived with them in the colony versus an unfamiliar animal. Dogs chose the face of the familiar dog at 85.1% and the cats chose the face of the familiar cat at 90.7%. 3) A previously learned natural scene versus and unfamiliar scene. The dogs chose the familiar scene at 89.0% and the cats chose the familiar scene at 85.8%. 4) An unfamiliar natural scene versus an unfamiliar natural scene. The dogs chose one scene at 49.8% and the cats chose one scene at 51.7%. Overall, the only significant difference between the performance of the dogs and cats was in the recognition of the face of their handlers. Neither dogs nor cats had any difficulty recognizing other animals they lived with or a previously-viewed scene. As expected, neither dogs nor do cats have any preference for two scenes that they had not previously seen. Therefore, dogs are able to discriminate their handler from another human based solely upon face recognition.
These are interesting results. I believe there are cues a dog can use to identify certain scenes or faces. For example, they are being rewarded for picking the right face. That is definitely a type of training that would influence the dog. I don't think that his choosing the face that he is being rewarded for choosing is proof that he really would really recognize his master in a situation where it is not contrived. I am not discounting this test at all, but I would like to do a number of different tests such as the one I suggested.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Because this discovery is valid and sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Unsupported assertion.
Absolutely incorrect. I think the problem goes back to epistemology, and how knowledge is acquired. If you believe that the only way we can get proof of the real world is through empiricism, then it would be an assertion. But his observations were absolutely accurate, whether you see this yet or not.
Quote:
It's not some off the wall theory that has no basis in reality.
Quote:
Unsupported assertion
I'm sorry if that's what you think. I can try to confirm his observations through empirical testing to back his claims up, but that doesn't mean they are mere assertions. It took him years of reading and very careful observations of human nature to come to these conclusions. He did not merely state an assertion. It's ridiculous what you are saying.
Quote:
The evidence comes from his observations and his reasoning.
Quote:
His observations and reasoning are not very good evidence. More is needed.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating LadyShea. If it doesn't work, obviously it would be wrong. But this knowledge does work in all cases. That's why it is a psychological law. If you don't believe it yet, don't give up, because that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And this would be very unfortunate.

Quote:
That was proof, but if you don't see it, then there needs to be more empirical evidence, which I believe will be in his favor.
Quote:
Then provide it.
I'm doing my best.
Quote:
Some things cannot be proved empirically, but that doesn't mean they are any less valid, such as his discovery on death.
Quote:
That doesn't mean they're valid either. Without empirical evidence they are just notions.
You are so wrong. I'm sorry but pure reason wins the day when it comes to Chapter Ten. Thank goodness because it's a very comforting chapter, and it's undeniable.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Peacegirl, If you have Lessans notes on his 'observations' posting them would be helpful to validate his claims. If his observations were accurate and valid there should be no problem, and others could try to repete them for further validation. As it is you claim there were observations but do not specify what they were, only the conclusions on which they were based. If Lessans was any kind of a mathetician or scientist he would have kept notes, no scientist worth anything works just from his memory in his head.
I will repeat: Lessans was not an empiricist. But his observations hold up to scientific scrutiny. He asks each person to become his own guinea pig. Test this knowledge on yourself first. If you see that under these new conditions, you could never strike a first blow, then that's a beginning. What everyone seems to be doing is looking at what he is saying is true and comparing it to how people act in a free will environment. You can't do that. It's impossible because how people react today is based on so much hurt that when he says murderers and rapists won't act that way in the new world, it's hard to believe. But before they will stop doing what they are doing, all of the hurt to them and others must first be removed. Then and only then will there be no justification to strike a first blow to anyone under any circumstance.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
You mentioned his discovery about death, but that chapter is only available in the book form so we don't know what it is. However, his introduction mentions "trillions and trillions" of babies having been born. If he meant human babies, he is incredibly wrong with that number.
Where does he say that?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
This is not the same as with smells, tastes, tactile sensations and sounds because there is direct input to the brain, so it is purely person even if most people like the taste of sweet over bitter. And yes, I was aware that odor is a very strong memory trigger. It also is being used as a healing modality, or a stress reliever.
None of these senses feature direct input to the brain. And the sense of hearing least of all. The process by which sound waves are transduced into neural impulses is considerably more convoluted than the process by which photons are transduced into neural impulses.
The exact mechanism of the other senses, even if it's convoluted, still starts at point A and ends up at point B based on input from the external world. The eyes, if Lessans is correct, goes from point B (the brain) which uses the eyes (with light which as a necessary condition), and ends up at point A (seeing the external world in real time).

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy