Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Admin

Default Re: do you juice?

5 medium-sized carrots + 1 baseball-sized fennel anise bulb = yummy licorice flavored carrot juice.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM

I am very late to this party, but in a search of old threads, this one on "juicing", which is a bit newer than the present thread, cross-referenced back to this thread as " :ff: 's definitive juicing thread." Plus, it was started by my old friend Pescifish, and I could use a dose of Pesci.

So.

A friend was telling me about a movie/video called something like "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," and how it's kind of the reverse of the movie "Supersize Me." In "Supersize Me," as I understand it, a guy ate all the stuff on McDonald's menu for a month, and in that time he gained X amount of weight and had all sorts of other health consequences. This one is the opposite. Our protagonist starts out already morbidly obese, with diabetes and other complications, and finally decides to get his life together, so he decides to get a juicer and do nothing but juice for 60 days. And he loses all this weight, and his cholesterol gets better, and his diabetes goes away. Plus, he helps this other guy do the same thing. So my friend is all onto this juicing kick now. She is a little bit subject to woo, and I doubt I would ever go on a total juice fast, but I mentioned the conversation to another friend, and he just happened to have a little juicer he doesn't use. So he just gave it to me. Interestingly, it is the same kind (Juiceman Jr.) that Pesci talked about in the OP. I have used it a couple of times now, and I like it. :)

The other day I had a LOT of extra tomatoes, so I made a juice with:

about 6-7 tomatoes,
a wad of kale,
2 carrots,
1/4 red bell pepper,
1 orange,
1 apple,
1 lemon,
2 stalks celery,
and a couple of thin slices from a quartered pineapple.

It made an awful lot of juice, more than I could drink (about 1/2 gallon). But it worked quickly, amazingly so. The juice didn't taste like anything in particular, but it was pleasant enough.

Today I made more of a fruit juice with:
2 carrots
1 orange
2 lemons
1 Asian pear
1 sm box raspberries
and almost 1/4 pineapple

This made just over 2 cups of juice, which was a LOT to drink for me, but I thought it would be best to drink it while it was freshest. The most taste was lemon, but it was sweet enough with the carrots and other fruit.

So far I am liking it a lot.

Thanks, from:
Fencesitter (08-26-2011), Kyuss Apollo (08-27-2011), livius drusus (08-27-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
The cat that will listen

FYI, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, may still be available on Netflix streaming.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

It is still on netflix, or at least it still was 3-4 weeks ago. Me and Mrs. KA both did a 10 day juice fast, and I have replaced 1-2 meals a day with juice since. So far I lost 15 pounds and also quit coffee, well, mostly. I've only had 2 small coffees this past week and half; so far so good. The amount of coffee I need to "feel" the jolt is about 1/10 what it was lol.

Some of my favorite recipes (each makes 2 large juices):

Green Juice 1:
two cups spinach
three green apples
three pears
1-2 spears of celery
1 green pepper
1/2 lime
4 carrots
1" piece of ginger
Optional: 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Green Juice #2 replaces pears w/honeydew melon
Green Juice #3 replaces pears w/cucumbers
Also, if no peppers, can be replaced by more celery or more apple, and if no spinach, then 2 cups kale, or 1 romaine lettuce

Orange Juice 1:
4-5 oranges
1-2 cups strawberries
1/2 cantaloupe
6 carrots
1/2 lemon

Red Juice
2 cups spinach
2-4 tomatoes (depending on size)
6 carrots
1-2 cups strawberries
1 beet
1/2 lemon

Finding that ginger, lemon, lime and pepper are indispensable in making a juice that isn't "flat" or "ugh" tasting (especially with experimental new juice combos that aren't on the above list), though Mrs. KA can't take the cayenne, and too much lime squinches the old cheekbones up around the eyeballs like a gin tonic that's half Roses. Blueberries unfortunately don't yield a lot of juice for the price of them, but if they are on sale we get a ton cuz the kids like to snack on them and if they aren't eaten up first I'll juice them into a green drink before letting them go bad.

Also, 1-2 cups of black seedless grapes make a good start for any of these.

Thanks, from:
Fencesitter (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Thank you for bumping this thread, maddog. It was great to remember pesci's adventurous juicing (and her generous sharing of the juicer wealth). Also shout out to LadyShea's beat juice! I had totally forgotten about that because I wasn't into beets at that time.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 AM

You're welcome livius. :cool: I forgot that there was a gigantic home grown cuke in the tomato concoction, and was responsible for a goodly proportion of the juice. KA how much juice do your recipes make?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

A lot. 35-40+ oz. Enough for me and Mrs. KA to have a big glass each for breakfast and some left over for me to have the rest for dinner, or for the kids to have some too. If you are just making enough for one meal split my recipes at least in half, since these are for 2-4 servings.

Thanks, from:
maddog (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Today I juiced:

4 tomatoes
1 apple
1/4 pineapple
2 carrots
handful spinach
handful kale
1/4 red bell pepper
3 stalks celery

again, this made a lot of juice, enough for 2 big glasses right away and I have some for later at the office. I have too much pre-prepped food all ready-to-go to use the pulp for anything at the moment (I think it would probably be good in soup or sauces) but I'm composting it at least.

Thanks, from:
Kyuss Apollo (09-03-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink