Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I'm not religious, but you may take it this way. Just know that if man's will is not free, we are forgiven. Think about it; we don't have to feel guilty because our choices were compelled.
Why would I need to be forgiven anyway?

I don't nor would feel guilty if I was a slave to my desires, that's the point.
Quote:
Who's talking about being a slave to your desires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
You are by using the term that is what is most satisfactory?

Hang on are you even reading what people say?
I am reading what people are saying. Just because something is the most satisfactory doesn't mean we are a slave to our desires? Where did you get that idea?

Quote:
if that is the case then I can do nothing but what my nature tells me; a psychopath is born that way, it is a mental disorder, if he feels no guilt or shame it is because that is the way nature has made him, in some ways he is the archetype of a slave, but in others he is the only person who understands how to be free, or should I say what being free is.
Quote:
Why is that? And who is talking about being born a psychopath? :sadcheer:
Quote:
It was an example to make an argument. I was making a studied point. A case for the person who is controlled by his condition, in this case being a psychopath but one could just as easily substitute zombie or anything really.
But don't you see what you're doing? You're envisioning a world based on a free will environment, and then concluding that people will be zombies and psychopaths, the only difference being that they won't be blamed for their faulty programming.

Quote:
The argument of feeling guilt would only arise if I could chose to do otherwise than my nature programmes me to. If I have free will then it follows I could of done differently in any given situation: then and only then does the moral question arise.
No, the moral question still arises which paradoxically plays a huge role in the new world.

Quote:
But it's impossible to do other than your nature dictates. That's what you are failing to understand.
Quote:
Prove it then.
That's what I've been trying to do, but you have to meet me halfway.

Quote:
I can't tell you the freedom I have felt from these words.
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
I hope you feel the same because it's not made up to make you feel better. It's the truth. :)
Quote:
There is no truth there is merely objective knowledge and objective doubt and some evidence.
Quote:
But the evidence bears out.
Quote:
What evidence?
Maybe if you would stop being so defensive you would get a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

Quote:
And please for god sake don't say you have not read the book, show me the money or shut the fuck up.
Look, I've given up on that. I took the book offline for that very reason.

Quote:
The onus is on you to prove a contention not on us to disprove it, you must then show something to make your argument.
I have done that, but you have not even come close to understanding why man's will is not free. You are too stuck on your idea of free will, so no matter what I say to prove to you that man's will is not free, you will tell me I didn't prove anything. :(

Quote:
Just saying "but it is just true!" Is no substitute for actual evidence.
Obviously.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not religious, but you may take it this way. Just know that if man's will is not free, we are forgiven. Think about it; we don't have to feel guilty because our choices were compelled.

Quote:

Hang on are you even reading what people say?[/qutoe]

I am reading what people are saying. Just because something is the msot satisfactory doesn't mean we are a slave to our desires? Where did you get that idea?

Quote:
if that is the case then I can do nothing but what my nature tells me; a psychopath is born that way, it is a mental disorder, if he feels no guilt or shame it is because that is the way nature has made him, in some ways he is the archetype of a slave, but in others he is the only person who understands how to be free, or should I say what being free is.
Quote:
Quote:
It was an example to make an argument. I was making a studied point. A case for the person who is controlled by his condition, in this case being a psychopath but one could just as easily substitute zombie or anything really.
But don't you see what you're doing? You're envisioning a world based on a free will environment, and then concluding that people will be zombies and psychopaths, the only difference being that they won't be blamed for their faulty programming.

Quote:
The argument of feeling guilt would only arise if I could chose to do otherwise than my nature programmes me to. If I have free will then it follows I could of done differently in any given situation: then and only then does the moral question arise.
No, the moral question still arises which paradoxically plays a huge role in the new world.

Quote:
But it's impossible to do other than your nature dictates. That's what you are failing to understand.
Quote:
Prove it then.

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
I hope you feel the same because it's not made up to make you feel better. It's the truth. :)
Quote:
There is no truth there is merely objective knowledge and objective doubt and some evidence.
Quote:
Quote:
What evidence?
Maybe if you would stop being so defensive you would get a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

And please for god sake don't say you have not read the book, show me the money or shut the fuck up.

The onus is on you to prove a contention not on us to disprove it, you must then show something to make your argument.

I'm not being defensive I am asking questions.

Take that as you will.

:fixed: your quote chop though, I Know its a pain when multiquoting quotes so don't take that the wrong way. I just wanted to make it easier for you to relate your ideas.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
I am reading what people are saying. Just because something is the msot satisfactory doesn't mean we are a slave to our desires? Where did you get that idea?
Most satisfactory is akin to saying that which is most satisfactory to our desires.

The rest of the non sequitur fest therefore is redundant.

If something is most satisfactory then it is something that we desire more than something else or in fact it is what we desire the most. Get it? If we therefore always move towards it we are moving towards that which is analogous to that which we most desire.

This is simple logic here. There's no reason to over indulge in semantics, but I feel your problem is that you have to have everything explained so deeply, even the most obvious point.

Not that I mind doing that in fact I kinda like the word play, but it would behove you to understand the basics of etymology and etiology.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM

[quote=Sidhe;972899]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Prove it then.

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What evidence?

Quote:
You are defending free will with a vengence. Of course, I would too if I understood determinism to be a program that turns you into a zombie.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Most satisfactory is akin to saying that which is most satisfactory to our desires.

If something is most satisfactory then it is something that we desire more than something else or in fact it is what we desire the most. Get it? If we therefore always move towards it we are moving towards that which is analogous to that which we most desire.

This is simple logic here. There's no reason to over indulge in semantics, but I feel your problem is that you have to have everything explained so deeply, even the most obvious point.

Not that I mind doing that in fact I kinda like the word play, but it would behove you to understand the basics of etymology and etiology.
I am not sure where this reasoning is a non sequitur or where I'm indulging in semantics. Nevertheless, as long as you understand what is meant by "greater satisfaction", then at least we are on the same page and can move forward.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure where this reasoning is a non sequitur or where I'm indulging in semantics. Nevertheless, as long as you understand what is meant by "greater satisfaction", then at least we are on the same page and can move forward.
you didn't answer my questions. Peacegirl evasion is not very flattering to your argument.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned for death threats

[quote=peacegirl;972907]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Prove it then.

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What evidence?

Quote:
You are defending free will with a vengence. Of course, I would too if I understood determinism to be a program that turns you into a zombie.
I am a free will nihilist so that makes no sense. ;)

I am asking questions only.

Clearly that is an issue. :P

Look if you are a troll you're a piss poor one so lets dispense with the bs. Get to the fucking point or make one. :D

Don't make me quote the irony cunt thread: it will not end well.

:lol:

Like I said to the other troll cunts: you my wife now Dave. You cannot just post and expect that puts a square peg in a round hole Even if you are Jerome the Gnome. :lol:

Last edited by Sidhe; 08-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you didn't answer my questions. Peacegirl evasion is not very flattering to your argument.
What questions Sidhe? You have none.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Too easy too fucking easy.

You... My... Wife... Now... Dave!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're just too funny. But now it's time to get with the program. :D You keep saying you're a free will nihilist, but you despise the thought of determinism. So which is it? I wish you could get all of the prepackaged definitions out of your head while you're in this thread.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're just too funny.
Exercising my rights again.

Quote:
But now it's time to get with the program. :D You keep saying you're a free will nihilist, but you despise the thought of determinism. So which is it?
I don't despise the idea of determinism it just doesn't fit in with real world experiment. You imagine that somehow because I think something isn't evidence sourced I must despise it; modern philosophy on the issue of determinism is woefully ludite, I don't like that much no. But being a nihilist I couldn't give a shit either way, I just tend to side with science.

Quote:
I wish you could get all of the prepackaged definitions out of your head while you're in this thread.
You mean you wish you could get all the definitions to suit your version of reality by rewriting the meaning of everything so that it fits your bizarre fantasy.

Last edited by Sidhe; 08-14-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
I like your courage to say what you feel, and I especially like your sense of humor, but this is a serious discussion that is world changing. Just don't lose sight of that.

Quote:
But now it's time to get with the program. :D You keep saying you're a free will nihilist, but you despise the thought of determinism. So which is it?
Quote:
I don't despise the idea of determinism it just doesn't fit in with real world experiment. You imagine that somehow because I think something isn't evidence sourced I must despise it; modern philosophy on the issue of determinism is woefully ludite, I don't like that much no. But being a nihilist I couldn't give a shit either way, I just tend to side with science.
But why are you so antagonistic? That will keep you from understanding the validity and soundness of this knoweldge.

Quote:
I wish you could get all of the prepackaged definitions out of your head while you're in this thread.
Quote:
You mean you wish you could get all the definitions to suit your version of reality by rewriting the meaning of everything so that it fits your bizarre fantasy.
No, that's not true Sidhe. Have you not understood anything I've written?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
I like your courage to say what you feel, and I especially like your sense of humor, but this is a serious discussion that is world changing. Just don't lose sight of that.
It's not courage, it's just that I don't give a fuck. When you have nothing to lose by speaking your mind it takes little more than a keystroke.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But why are you so antagonistic? That will keep you from understanding the validity and soundness of this knoweldge.
You tend to see cynicism as antagonistic so its hardly surprising you think I am.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not courage, it's just that I don't give a fuck. When you have nothing to lose by speaking your mind it takes little more than a keystroke.
But we all give a fuck. We're lying if we say we don't because it is human nature to give a fuck. ;)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideh
You tend to see cynicism as antagonistic so its hardly surprising you think I am.

Aren't they one and the same? Just wonderin. ;)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
:( I'm so sad.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
But we all give a fuck. We're lying if we say we don't because it is human nature to give a fuck. ;)
It may be in real life but on here? Who gives a fuck?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideh

Aren't they one and the same? Just wonderin. ;)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Cheer up at least it's not Monday.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone gives a fuck Sidhe. What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But why are you so antagonistic? That will keep you from understanding the validity and soundness of this knowledge.
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't they one and the same? Just wonderin. ;)[/quoe

No, they are not the same. Will you now calm down and listen for a change?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Quote:
:D Thank you for you anger. I really get it. I just hope you don't let your cynicism ruin it. :(
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Everyone gives a fuck Sidhe. What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But why are you so antagonistic? That will keep you from understanding the validity and soundness of this knowledge.
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't they one and the same? Just wonderin. ;)[/quoe

No, they are not the same. Will you now calm down and listen for a change?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Quote:
:D Thank you for you anger. I really get it. I just hope you don't let your cynicism ruin it. :(
Irony?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
You're right about that.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess that's a better word. So let me ask you again: Why are you so cynical? You've got to let go of the cynicism long enough to grasp this knowledge, or it will get in the way.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Well at least you admit it. That's a start. ;)
Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
You're right about that.
I am always right I am a God.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Admit that your unfathomable and bad logic leaves a lot to be desired. Of course...

La la.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
You're right about that.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Admit that your unfathomable and bad logic leaves a lot to be desired. Of course...

La la.
Sidhe, as smart as you are, you're not very smart when it comes to careful analysis of this work. As I said, if you can't get the prepackaged definition of determinism out of your head (even temporarily), we can't have a discussion because the definition you are using is responsible for your cynicism.

Last edited by peacegirl; 08-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Sidhe, you are treating this thread like I joke, and I cannot continue this way. It makes a joke out of this thread, and I refuse to let that happen. I wish everyone happiness in their life, but unless someone comes forward who is truly interested in this discovery, I cannot continue. I do love everyone here, wherever they are at in their spiritual journey. ;)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Sidhe, you are treating this thread like I joke, and I cannot continue this way. It makes a joke out of this thread, and I refuse to let that happen. I wish everyone happiness in their life, but unless someone comes forward who is truly interested in this discovery, I cannot continue. I do love everyone here, wherever they are at in their spiritual journey. ;)
You make it sound like no one has expressed a real interest in Lessans' work. This is not true. Many, myself among them, have expressed such an interest. We have, in fact, invested a considerable amount of time and effort on this subject. If, by your lights, we don't qualify as being truly interested, how would you define 'truly interested'.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
You're right about that.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)

La la.
Sidhe, as smart as you are, you're not very smart when it comes to careful analysis of this work. As I said, if you can't get the prepackaged definition of determinism out of your head (even temporarily), we can't have a discussion because the definition you are using is responsible for your cynicism.
Actually I would say I am very good at analysing his work.

If you can't agree even on definitions there's no point in even discussing anything.

I am smart its one of the few things I have going for me, that and trolling retards. And by that no I don't mean you, unless you are a troll in which case fine.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
I am making jokes I am not treating the thread like a joke. There is a difference.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
You make it sound like no one has expressed a real interest in Lessans' work. This is not true. Many, myself among them, have expressed such an interest. We have, in fact, invested a considerable amount of time and effort on this subject. If, by your lights, we don't qualify as being truly interested, how would you define 'truly interested'.
Truly interested means temporarily putting aside any preconditioned ideas. Everybody has them, and it is a big stumbling block in the ability to grasp this knowledge.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy