Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Have you ever noticed how much you write in vapid clichés and platitudes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
I have pointed it out to her quite a bit. Lessans did the same thing, and peacegirl uses many of the same platitudes he did..like "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" is some kind of argument. Probably because she doesn't have anything to say. Really not that much out of place.
Quote:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating means that only if there is success does the knowledge actually count.
Quote:
You should have said so right from the start! We could have sorted this right there and then. The revolution never happened despite being predicted as a mathematical certainty. Pudding-time has been and gone.
It hasn't even started Vivisectus, so how can pudding-time be gone? :chin:

Quote:
But even apart from that this is a wonderful piece of circle-reasoning. You are saying that the proof of this system can be found by implementing it and making it work - only if there is success does the knowledge count, or work.

That means that what you are really saying is that once we solve the problem of evil, the problem of evil will be solved. If any of the book seems ludicrous, or simply doesn't work, that is because the problem of evil has not been solved yet - you have said as much by saying that things will be different in "the new environment"
No, what I am really saying is that once we apply these principles, the problem of evil will be solved. How can the problem of evil be solved if these principles haven't been implemented? It can only work if we apply them.

Quote:
So we are to implement all this on the off-chance that your father was right - we won't get proof until we have done it.
I would like to be believe my effort in here had some purpose, but I am beginning to doubt that anyone will take this book seriously, so to answer your question, there might have to be small pockets of people who would like to live by these principles to show the world that they work.

Quote:
And you still say this is not a religion? You have to have faith, all will be revealed in the Kingdom Come?
You can't base this discovery on faith. The proof is there, but if you don't see it, you might have to wait for the Golden Age to be upon us. :)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Yet another link peacegirl will ignore [Stolen from grayman--Ed.]

Evolution of the Eye

since it dashes "efferent vision" yet again.

--J.D.
Awesome! I think this shows we will have to find some empirical evidence to make sure evolution is correct. Until this evidence that Lessans was right comes in, we should all suspend our critical doubt and accept that he was right on the basis that there might be a microscopically small chance that he was not wrong.

Just like there is a small chance that a rock will fall upwards when released from a height - all that needs to happen is for all its particles to do the same unlikely thing at the same time.
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Evolution of the Eye

--J.D.
Thanks Doctor X, I'll read it as soon as I have a free moment. ;)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagakuk
3. Since it is not an undeniable law, or even a demonstrable fact, that man's will is not free, it follows that Lessans cannot have the positve knowledge that he claims to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
That would be true if he was wrong, but he isn't wrong.
...and to see that you must believe it :)

Once you believe it is true, it will all make sense, because you will see that it is true. You will no longer require any proof and will be able to not have quite large amounts of evidence change your mind about it. Once you believe it is true, all these objections will just drop away. You will believe it is true, because you will believe it is true.
As the merry-go-round continues to go round and round... :sadcheer:
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Evolution of the Eye

--J.D.
Awesome! I think this shows we will have to find some empirical evidence to make sure evolution is correct. Until this evidence that Lessans was right comes in, we should all suspend our critical doubt and accept that he was right on the basis that there might be a microscopically small chance that he was not wrong.

Just like there is a small chance that a rock will fall upwards when released from a height - all that needs to happen is for all its particles to do the same unlikely thing at the same time.
The possibility that Lessans is right is a lot greater you think.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You should have said so right from the start! We could have sorted this right there and then. The revolution never happened despite being predicted as a mathematical certainty. Pudding-time has been and gone.
It was supposed to start a long time ago, as predicted. But like the second coming, it seems capable of being just around the corner for a VERY long time.

Quote:
Quote:
So we are to implement all this on the off-chance that your father was right - we won't get proof until we have done it.
I would like to be believe my effort in here had some purpose, but I am beginning to doubt that anyone will take this book seriously, so to answer your question, there might have to be small pockets of people who would like to live by these principles to show the world that they work.
Ah - starting a cult? That would be a good idea. And then, when something doesn't work out, you can always blame it on people not having read the book enough. It really is fool-proof - declare something infallible and refuse to change your stance on it no-matter WHAT anyone says, and everything happily goes round and round in circles.

Quote:
Quote:
And you still say this is not a religion? You have to have faith, all will be revealed in the Kingdom Come?
You can't base this discovery on faith. The proof is there, but if you don't see it, you might have to wait for the Golden Age to be upon us. :)
What you have here is a religion - yours. You are its only adherent, which is nice because it kinda makes you the apostle, if not the prophet. You dream of holding court among fellow followers, of a wonderful, trouble-free world where you will be very important. You feel that by releasing this idea, you release this world. You are wrong. All you would release would be a dream.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
3. Since it is not an undeniable law, or even a demonstrable fact, that man's will is not free, it follows that Lessans cannot have the positve knowledge that he claims to have.
Quote:

Once you believe it is true, it will all make sense, because you will see that it is true. You will no longer require any proof and will be able to not have quite large amounts of evidence change your mind about it. Once you believe it is true, all these objections will just drop away. You will believe it is true, because you will believe it is true.
I am glad you are aware of your own circle-reasoning. You even said so yourself: You father was right, because he worked on his thoughts long and hard. If he had been wrong, he would have noticed it and changed it.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Evolution of the Eye

--J.D.

I will add "evolution" to the long list of things that were wrong because of Astute Observations.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Since there is no chance Lessans was right, "0" is not terribly great.

Now, one benefit of starting your own cult is, of course, rampant sex with the young and credulous.

--J.D.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Since there is no chance Lessans was right, "0" is not terribly great.

Now, one benefit of starting your own cult is, of course, rampant sex with the young and credulous.

--J.D.
Please let it go Doctor X. It's okay to joke, but don't go below the belt. :(
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Evolution of the Eye

--J.D.

I will add "evolution" to the long list of things that were wrong because of Astute Observations.
I will not touch evolution with a ten foot pole.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am glad you are aware of your own circle-reasoning. You even said so yourself: You father was right, because he worked on his thoughts long and hard. If he had been wrong, he would have noticed it and changed it.
You want to be right at all costs. You will not win this debate (if you want to call it that) in the long run. Maybe you'll win in the short run, and if that makes you happy, go for it.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Actually, if you look closely, I haven't said all that much about Right or Wrong, or True or False. I have merely talked about the reasons we would have for believing either way. My point is that none are supplied, except for "My father said so and he was a very clever fellow who spent a lot of time on this".

Since the majority of this idea are safely hidden behind the shelter of the future "new environment" there really isn't much we can say in terms of absolute true or false. It is a bit like religion - they say we won't find out until after we are dead. Handily, the dead don't tell tales.

Now the nonsense about sight, THAT we can conclusively put in the "false" pile, whether you realize it or not.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was supposed to start a long time ago, as predicted. But like the second coming, it seems capable of being just around the corner for a VERY long time.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah - starting a cult? That would be a good idea. And then, when something doesn't work out, you can always blame it on people not having read the book enough. It really is fool-proof - declare something infallible and refuse to change your stance on it no-matter WHAT anyone says, and everything happily goes round and round in circles.

Quote:
Quote:
What you have here is a religion - yours. You are its only adherent, which is nice because it kinda makes you the apostle, if not the prophet. You dream of holding court among fellow followers, of a wonderful, trouble-free world where you will be very important. You feel that by releasing this idea, you release this world. You are wrong. All you would release would be a dream.
I give up. I don't even want to continue the conversation, as it has nothing to do with this discovery.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, if you look closely, I haven't said all that much about Right or Wrong, or True or False. I have merely talked about the reasons we would have for believing either way. My point is that none are supplied, except for "My father said so and he was a very clever fellow who spent a lot of time on this".
That is not true Vivisectus. You are wrong.

Quote:
Since the majority of this idea are safely hidden behind the shelter of the future "new environment" there really isn't much we can say in terms of absolute true or false. It is a bit like religion - they say we won't find out until after we are dead. Handily, the dead don't tell tales.

Now the nonsense about sight, THAT we can conclusively put in the "false" pile, whether you realize it or not.
I can see you are upset, and I don't want you to be. If you believe Lessans is wrong, then so be it. He wasn't depending on you to understand these principles, and if you don't, it's okay. If no one here understands them, it's okay. They can believe their disagreement is valid, and it's okay. This has gotten exhausting. You win by default.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Pudding-time has been and gone.

:catlady:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (06-29-2011), erimir (06-29-2011), Goliath (06-30-2011), Kael (06-29-2011), LadyShea (06-29-2011), Pan Narrans (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
What a false and misleading way to judge this book doc, and you know it. You're just being vindictive.
One should exercise one's talents to the best of one's ability.

One should exorcise one's false beliefs to the best of one's ability.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Who is this Rafael person? Is it the artist or the archangel?

Janis Rafael, otherwise known as Peacegirl.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-30-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:

The problem is that there never was any pudding except in Lessans fevered imagination.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

This is surprising that Lessans had nothing to say about evolution, he proves other concepts that he knew nothing about. Surprising that he didn't bring in his ability as a pool hustler as proof?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:

The world ate its meat a long time ago. Now it's ready for the pudding. :P
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:

This is surprising that Lessans had nothing to say about evolution, he proves other concepts that he knew nothing about. Surprising that he didn't bring in his ability as a pool hustler as proof?
I want to know why you lied?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
Of course Lessans states that there will be a period when those who do not choose 'of their own free will' to be part of the 'Golden Age' will be eliminated.
What the hell are you talking about doc? Show me where he said that. You're a liar.

It's in the book.
Give me the page number.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That is not true Vivisectus. You are wrong.

Quote:

Just let it go. I can see you are upset, and I don't want you to be. If you believe Lessans is wrong, then so be it. He wasn't depending on any one person to understand these principles, and if you don't, it's okay. If no one in here understands these principles, it's okay. They can believe their disagreement is valid, and it's okay. This has gotten exhausting. You win by default.
I am not upset at all! by all means do not hold back on my account.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Note, Amazon is selling the book, but has removed the negative review that had been posted there, the review that included the info about after death pronoun usage.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy