Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
I really don't think Obama is evil as much as inept, but thats just my opinion.

--J.D.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how this is racist, I'm just refering to one individual, If I had said all black US presidents of questionable birth were inept, that might be different.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 AM

repeat
Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 AM
the internet says I'm right

I should also like to point out, yet again, that this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
there have been no tests on efferent vision because scientists believe it is a fact that we have afferent vision; similar to philosophers who didn't look behind the door of determinism because they believed free will proved determinism's falseness
is utterly false, and peacegirl would know better if she spent even a fraction of the time she spends boldly proclaiming these ideas on the internet in actual research and study. Efferent vision is actually a very old idea, and has been through several permutations throughout our history. It was discarded only in relatively recent times, when more careful and accurate tests kept demonstrating its falsity. Afferent vision, too, underwent several phases of theory before we got solid answers and evidence from both biology and physics, enough to form a synthesis of these fields of study that agreed not only with theory and model, but with all observable evidence and any careful study you could care to conduct.

The philosophy of determinism is perhaps not as clear-cut as the science of vision, but to characterize it as being unilaterally rejected because all the philosophers believe in free will is just as astoundingly ignorant.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Why can't you answer the simple question I have asked? If you can see a flashing a light, are you seeing the light in real time, efferently, according to Lessans ideas? Yes or no?

Just to prevent more weaseling, a green laser pen can be seen up to a mile away at night, so assume I am using a green laser pen, with a full battery, at night from 50 yards away.
I refuse to answer because your intent is obvious. You are making a concerted effort to make me look stupid and in this kind of atmosphere, you will succeed.
I am asking you to support your own claims. This is the simplest and least tricky question you have been asked all thread! It's not even about lights on the moon or Mars or hypotheticals about the Sun!

I am asking you if you would see a bright flashing light, half a football field away, in real time according to Lessans.
Yes.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Why can't you believe that I'm being sincere?

Perhaps because I have difficulty believing that any sane and rational person would promote such a book, unless it was for monetary gain. The claims and ideas in the book are so completely off the wall and contrary to any reality that is known today, that the only person who could accept them would need to be completely unhinged or a dedicated religious fanatic. I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are not crazy, so there remains only the possability that you are a calculating, coniving con-artist, out to sell books as a scam to make money. So how are the books selling, is it working?
Doc, until you can explain the two-sided equation in your own words, your words mean absolutely nothing because you're just parroting back what everyone else is saying.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would never dispute anything in physics because I really don't know. The only thing I want to find out is if efferent vision is possible, and if it is, is it valid. Because people are trying to stump me at every turn, that's exactly what they've done. They know I'm not well versed in physics. But that still doesn't mean that efferent vision is impossible.
Physics proves efferent vision is impossible. The examples we are using are to demonstrate that to you, in a way that it is undeniable to use a phrase you'll appreciate.

Physics disproves- beyond any possibility of doubt - Lessans claims regarding what one would see if viewing the Earth from the vicinity of Rigel and how long it would take for one to see the sun were it suddenly turned on.
If you believe there's no way efferent vision is even possible, why are we discussing the possibility of efferent vision? There's absolutely no point, and will only serve to make me look like I'm a candidate for the booby hatch. :(

We're discussing it because you wanted to discuss Lessans ideas and we took you up on that. It's not out fault he included such insane claims in his work. The sad part is that the whole efferent vision thing wasn't even necessary.
If it ever turns out that his claim is correct (we'll probably be dead and gone by then), you would see why it was necessary.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Are they out there too, trying to convince people? What do they think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
No, because I never put it on them. My kids lead busy lives, although I'm sure when they have time, they will desire to share their grandfather's discovery with others.
Viv meant your siblings, who Lessans also exhorted to carry on his work. Are your siblings helping you in any way?
My brother died 24 years ago at age 32. My sister is in business, but is in total support of me and what I'm doing. She can't wait to get her hands on the first shipment of books, so she can do her part. :)
Old 05-28-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Since peacegirl has me on ignore, but is trying to answer all our questions :yup: somebody ask her the obvious question:

Since your prediction that the pictures cameras take of heavenly bodies will differ from what humans see with their eyes, and they don't differ, what becomes of your "theory"?

:wave: :popcorn:
Sure, anything for a fellow 'seeker after the truth', but now I'm confused, she says she's not ignoring anyone, but she claims to have put you on ignore and me at one time. How can that be, would that be an oxymoron? Or is it just her?
I didn't say I'm not ignoring anyone; I said I was giving you a second chance. David is in time out for the third time. He doesn't learn his lessons very well. :sadcheer:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since peacegirl has me on ignore, but is trying to answer all our questions :yup: somebody ask her the obvious question:

Since your prediction that the pictures cameras take of heavenly bodies will differ from what humans see with their eyes, and they don't differ, what becomes of your "theory"?

:wave: :popcorn:
Sure, anything for a fellow 'seeker after the truth', but now I'm confused, she says she's not ignoring anyone, but she claims to have put you on ignore and me at one time. How can that be, would that be an oxymoron? Or is it just her?
I didn't say I'm not ignoring anyone; I said I was giving you a second chance. David is in time out for the third time. He doesn't learn his lessons very well. :sadcheer:
:ironymeter:

:foocl:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Why don't you stop with the aggrieved martyr routine, and just answer the relevant Goddamn question:

:popcorn:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You are making a concerted effort to make me look stupid and in this kind of atmosphere, you will succeed.

Whoa! is that an admission of guilt?
No, it's not an admission of any such thing. I said that to show how easy it is for an audience to make something appear what it isn't, if their hell-bent on doing so.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I think no-one else wants to talk about this book. That is why you are still here. The kids are "too busy", but really they avoid this subject like the plague because to disagree with it means upsetting mum. They sound like smart kids. I am glad they are getting a good education.
That's not why. I've just finished the final version. My kids want to read it. By the way, my son just called me and he passed his boards. Yesssssssss!!! :D
Congratulations on your son passing the boards. Does this mean his fellowship is complete? How many years of residency has it been?
Thank you so much! No, he just finished his residency. He is now a board certified radiologist, but he is doing a fellowship for one year, so that he'll be in a better position to land a top notch job when he's finished.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
OK, 11 pages to go, can we agree on a few groung rules? Like during the 10 pages of party no 'shop talk', OK? - - So during the party only 'mindless drivel' as opposed to any serious discussion. - - - Wait a minute, this whole thread has been 'mindless drivel' ? - Shit! now what are we going to talk about?
Anything but the book!!! I NEED A BREAK, TEN FOUR!!!!!!!!!!! :popcorn:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Congrats to your son :)
Thanks LadyShea. I am so very proud of him!!! :)
Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I've just finished the final version.
Well I certainly hope you trimmed it a bit. With good editing you could say everything in about 150 pages, and that would still have some padding.
No doc, the one that's online IS the finished product. In the future I can shorten it, but I'm not doing it again for nobody. It was a labor of love, but it was exhausting, time consuming, and expensive.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
It occures to me that if Peacegirl was truly interested in promoting the principles in the book 'The decline and fall of all evil' she would take the message to the centers of evil in the world. I think, to be most effective, she should personally give the books to the Taliban, Kim Jong Il, and Muammar Quaddafi, for a start. I really don't think Obama is evil as much as inept, but thats just my opinion.

I would like to add she should give one to Brian, but I doubt he would read it.
I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't. The environment has to change for these type of individuals to no longer be created.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've just finished the final version.
Well I certainly hope you trimmed it a bit. With good editing you could say everything in about 150 pages, and that would still have some padding.
No doc, the one that's online IS the finished product. In the future I can shorten it, but I'm not doing it again for nobody. It was a labor of love, but it was exhausting, time consuming, and expensive.
And any person with half an education and half a brain will get to the part when Lessans babbles ignorantly about seeing the sun immediately when God switches it on, but not one's neighbor for eight and a half minutes, and go:

:foocl:

And read not a line further. That whole passages screams, accurately:

CRACKPOT
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quoth peacegirl, emphasis mine:
Quote:
No Kael, your perspective is wrong. I have humility, and when I don't know something I will admit it. I have already admitted that I'm not a physicist. The only test that I didn't think was reliable was the one with the dog pushing the lever, or possibly the dog running over to his master (the one with the hat on). I would never dispute anything in physics because I really don't know.
Quoth peacegirl from a few pages back, emphasis mine:
Quote:
From what I have seen, the tests that have anything to do with determining how the eyes function are in regard to afferent vision (there have been no tests on efferent vision because scientists believe it is a fact that we have afferent vision; similar to philosophers who didn't look behind the door of determinism because they believed free will proved determinism's falseness; “If there is an almost eternal recurrence of philosophies of freedom it is because direct perception can never be beaten down with formulas, or sensation with reasoning.”) so you can't go by those tests. Plus, I don't think they were reliable. I don't think they purposely skewed the results, but the test themselves were biased.
Kael, I'm taking a lot of heat in here. I know that anything I say is going to be used against me, so sometimes it's better not to say anything at all, especially when I'm wingin it. :eek:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No Kael, your perspective is wrong. I have humility, and when I don't know something I will admit it. I have already admitted that I'm not a physicist. The only test that I didn't think was reliable was the one with the dog pushing the lever, or possibly the dog running over to his master (the one with the hat on). I would never dispute anything in physics because I really don't know.
Quote:
From what I have seen, the tests that have anything to do with determining how the eyes function are in regard to afferent vision (there have been no tests on efferent vision because scientists believe it is a fact that we have afferent vision; similar to philosophers who didn't look behind the door of determinism because they believed free will proved determinism's falseness; “If there is an almost eternal recurrence of philosophies of freedom it is because direct perception can never be beaten down with formulas, or sensation with reasoning.”) so you can't go by those tests. Plus, I don't think they were reliable. I don't think they purposely skewed the results, but the test themselves were biased.
Kael, I'm taking a lot of heat in here. I know that anything I say is going to be used against me, so sometimes it's better not to say anything at all, especially when I'm wingin it. :eek:
You do realize that the only profession in which quoting someone verbatim is characterized as "using it against me" is politics, right? If you do not know about things in physics, you do not have the knowledge required to judge whether experiments in that field are flawed. Same goes for biology. If you do know an experiment is flawed, you should be able to say why and where.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why can't you believe that I'm being sincere?

Perhaps because I have difficulty believing that any sane and rational person would promote such a book, unless it was for monetary gain. The claims and ideas in the book are so completely off the wall and contrary to any reality that is known today, that the only person who could accept them would need to be completely unhinged or a dedicated religious fanatic. I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are not crazy, so there remains only the possability that you are a calculating, coniving con-artist, out to sell books as a scam to make money. So how are the books selling, is it working?
Doc, until you can explain the two-sided equation in your own words, your words mean absolutely nothing because you're just parroting back what everyone else is saying.

Interesting ploy, you can't challenge it so you change the subject, and I don't think you can explain it, except to quote sections of the book that yo do not understand.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
[quote=peacegirl;]
I have not ignored anyone Kael.
[quote]

I don't know but was that a contradiction, does peacegirl even know what she is saying? So 'timeout' is a euphemism for 'ignore' now?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Doc, until you can explain the two-sided equation in your own words, your words mean absolutely nothing

I'll admit I'm having trouble deciphering and explaining nonsense, but neither have I seen Peacegirl explain what she doesn't understand.

There is an old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull-shit."
Old 05-28-2011, 04:09 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well on our way to 200, ?
Are we there yet ?

??

??

??
??
??
?? - I'm getting thirsty.
??
??
?? can you hurry, I gotta go.
??
?? Whaa! Whaaa! Peacegirl is pickin' on me again. Make 'er stop.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Note to DoctorX:

Start rounding up those NBLs. :grin: Remember, we have made reservations for ten pages (200-209) for the party, which is now only 12 pages away.
We have a few new ones shipped in. Just to give an idea:

--J. "A River to My People!" D.

Last edited by Doctor X; 05-28-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You do realize that the only profession in which quoting someone verbatim is characterized as "using it against me" is politics, right? If you do not know about things in physics, you do not have the knowledge required to judge whether experiments in that field are flawed. Same goes for biology. If you do know an experiment is flawed, you should be able to say why and where.
I didn't know that saying "using it against me" is only said in politics. I'll remember that. ;) Kael, I told everyone that I'm trying to take what Lessans observed regarding efferent vision and applying it to the questions that are being posed. If there is an incongruence, then I have to get over that stumbling block or else Lessans' claim will go down the drain. I am not denying that light travels at a finite rate of speed. But there is nothing in the literature that will help me when it comes to explaining how and why Lessans came to his conclusions.

I told the Lone Ranger that I believe the photoreceptors are not being transduced into chemical-electrical signals that are then decoded by the brain. How specific can you get? He says the tests are accurate. I realize this, and I also realize science has accepted this model as fact. I don't think it is. :sadcheer:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy