Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Well on our way to 200, I wonder how many books she'll sell from this?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Also, Mendel had hard evidence, actual plants and stuff. A whole garden full. Lessans isn't analogous to Mendel anymore than can be compared to Socrates.

And anyway, even superstar scientists can't get away with bullshit. Many of his colleagues criticized Hawking's theory that information was destroyed in black holes. It took him 30 years to admit he was wrong.

It's not like nobody questions "the establishment", many people do. And disproving an established theory is a surefire way to fame and fortune.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Twice as many as before!

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:
Twice as many as before!

--J.D.
Damn, who bought the other one?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 AM

⒳ 0 =

--J.D.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
And anyway, even superstar scientists can't get away with bullshit. Many of his colleagues criticized Hawking's theory that information was destroyed in black holes. It took him 30 years to admit he was wrong.

It's not like nobody questions "the establishment", many people do. And disproving an established theory is a surefire way to fame and fortune.
Precisely. Sir Richard Owen was a member of the establishment, he ran the British Museum, was a member of the Zoological Society and the Royal Society, eminent and prestigious by any standards. Yet this did not save him from being indicted for perjury when he continually lied about the anatomy of the brains of humans and other apes, nor from being removed from the councils of the Royal and Zoological Societies when it became apparent that he had essentially plagiarized the work of someone else.

There are far more examples of prominent scientists earning ridicule and shame for trying to hold up the status quo in the face of new knowledge than there are of the words and opinions of such people being viewed as infallible and unquestionable.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-30-2011), The Lone Ranger (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Spiffiest wanger

His comparison of himself to Mendel is doubly stupid. Unlike Mendel, Lessans has no evidnece. But worse, he does not even have a theory!

Peacegirl, what is Lessans' theory of how we see?

Saying stuff like "Light is a condition of seeing, and not a cause," or, we "project" stuff onto "screens of undeniable substance" is gobbledygook. What does it mean?

We know that light is a condition of seeing! What we need to know is how it is! The Lone Ranger has spelled out for you the correct theory about how light is a condition for seeing: It is the correct theory because it has repeatedly been empirically verified. But Lessans denies it is correct, but presents no competing theory.

What, exactly, is being "projected" and how? He does not say! There is no theory here, no explanation, there is literally nothing to test.

Explain how we see, Peacegirl, in detail. If you can't do that you've got no theory! And of course you can't do it, but you don't care: You think that if Lessans said it, then "it" must be right, whatever "it" is!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Well, you can't really call that bullshit. He was wrong, but it highlighted a big problem in the prevailing theory, something that's still not nearly solved. Hawking was the first to find out that black holes must emit radiation, and based on the current theory, he concluded that information is lost. Susskind and others felt that this had to be wrong, but it took them almost 30 years to prove it. Bullshit is the wrong word in that case, I think.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
For goodness' sake make some effort to educate yourself on the matter! There are thousands and thousands of carefully-conducted studies which have tested the notion that the brain relays impulses to the retina, rather than vice versa. If there were any evidence to support the notion that the eyes are not sense organs, it wouldn't be kept hidden. Far from it -- any scientist who discovered such evidence would be guaranteed a Nobel Prize.
Why does the brain have to relay impulses to the retina? All we can say for sure is that there are impulses coming into the brain. Those impulses could allow the brain to see (the mechanism as to how the brain does this may not be something that can be seen; just as we can't see how the brain (if it were true) to convert signals into images. That's a leap of faith that this is what the brain is doing. Maybe we can't find the truth with this method because there is nothing that can be mapped directly; we have to find it indirectly, which is the whole point of the experiments that would confirm what Lessans knew all along.

Is there a way to identify conscience in the brain? No, there isn't. We can only observe how conscience works under specific conditions. Sometimes what we see as far as structure does not fully answer what the brain is capable of doing with that structure. There is some mystery left as to how the brain actually functions. It's one of our last frontiers. :)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Reading comprehension: not your strong suit.

The 50% is what the average figure would be if the dogs were picking at random.
As I said earlier, something is off. That extra 30% could still be random. There has to be more tests done with the hypothesis that dogs cannot identify their owners through sight alone. The test was biased because the belief was that dogs can do this, therefore the interpretation of the results would lean toward reinforcing that belief.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Stop that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Why does the brain have to relay impulses to the retina?
He does not imply it does :pat:

Quote:
All we can say for sure. . . .
No, only you because you remain too much the coward to read what everyone else has known for over a century. :pat:

You wallow in your personal ignorance and wonder why only you are dirty.

:lolhog:

--Ed.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
Quote:
If the Earth is billions of years old, it isn't at all surprising. . . .
Humans have not been around for "billions of years."

Quote:
. . . that trillions of babies could have been born since that time.
We will add "does not understand like really really big numbers" to your and Lessans' extraordinary caldron of willful ignorance.

Quote:
People had big families.
Thousands? Quite the litter. . . .

Your stupidity approaches that of Killick who could not master the concept of "north."

--Ed.
I already said that if he was wrong, he would have admitted it, and I'm not going to defend what I myself am not sure of. He was trying to make a point that did not require him to have an absolute figure, therefore he could have overestimated the number of people born since time immemorial. That doesn't take away his credibility, which is what you are trying to do.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Yes . . . it is ALL our fault she is too lazy to learn.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Stop that!

Quote:
I already said that if he was wrong, . . .
There is no qualifier: he proved embarrassingly wrong.

Quote:
. . . he would have admitted it, . . .
Doubtful: he lacked the integrity and even curiosity to study the required subjects. It appears he simply made up fantasies based on his ignorance. This proves a most common problem with the crank

Quote:
and I'm not going to defend what I myself am not sure of.
Because you cannot--no one can defend the disproven--because you are also too lazy to learn.

Quote:
He was trying to make a point. . . .
That proved based on an incorrect claim. As were, it seems, all of his major claims.

Quote:
. . . absolute figure, therefore he could have overestimated. . . .
By mere orders of magnitude.

Quote:
That doesn't take away his credibility, . . .
One cannot take away from another what another never had.

Quote:
. . . which is what you are trying to do.
We do not have to try.

--Ed.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's not significant if the test itself is flawed. I still don't see how a dog can grasp what the test giver is trying to get him to do. I've never seen a dog able to follow instructions to hit a lever when he recognizes his handler, which involves higher order thinking skills that a dog just doesn't have (in my opinion).
Are you seriously this dense?

All the test givers try to get them to do is look at pictures and choose one. A lever was one of several types of indicators of choice I came up with, but it may mean nothing more than putting the different pictures on two difference screens apart from each other, and training the dog to sit in front of one or the other. If the dog sits somewhere other than in front of one the screens they do not get a treat. If they choose a screen they get a treat.

That's it. They have to choose a picture. That's all they're trained to do.

The indication of recognition is in the dogs choices of their handlers picture over other humans pictures. If the dog were simply choosing a screen at random without understanding the pictures, they would choose their handlers approx 50% of the time. They chose their handler 88% of the time. It demonstrates the dog has a strong preference for its handlers picture. How can they prefer their handlers picture over a strangers picture if they can't recognize the face?
I have already said that to train a dog to push a lever and get a reward regardless of which picture he chooses only gets a dog to push a lever. It does not indicate that he is making a purposeful choice. And just because out of the two choices, he hit the lever of his handlers 30% more of the time, does not mean that he recognized his handler.

This may shed some light. I got this from physicsforums.com.

No, it stands to reason that if, after X number of coin tosses, the result is 0/100 (you mean 0% one heads, 100% tails for example), it is not necessary that it ever get back to 50%/50%. That is not true and I hope it is not what you were taught. Saying that the chance of heads on a coin flip is "50/50" (or 50%) means that on ANY flip, the chances of heads or tails are equal- "the coin has no memory". What happened in the past has absolutely no affect on what will happen.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm Deplorable.

A coin is a nonliving piece of metal, a dog is a living animal with a brain, there is a difference. Can you understand that?
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-30-2011), LadyShea (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
Quote:
If the Earth is billions of years old, it isn't at all surprising. . . .
Humans have not been around for "billions of years."

Quote:
. . . that trillions of babies could have been born since that time.
We will add "does not understand like really really big numbers" to your and Lessans' extraordinary caldron of willful ignorance.

Quote:
People had big families.
Thousands? Quite the litter. . . .

Your stupidity approaches that of Killick who could not master the concept of "north."

--Ed.
I already said that if he was wrong, he would have admitted it, and I'm not going to defend what I myself am not sure of. He was trying to make a point that did not require him to have an absolute figure, therefore he could have overestimated the number of people born since time immemorial. That doesn't take away his credibility, which is what you are trying to do.
Wow, hey, how about this: What if he was wrong, but did not know that he was wrong? Is that possible? If not, you are saying that he is not only right, but infallible, because he never admitted that he was wrong!

It is impossible for there to have been trillions and trillions of humans born on the earth! This is because we know the duration on earth of modern humans (NOT billions of years!) and we can make reliable population estimates from the numbers of people on earth now and by extrapolating backward to diminishing numbers in the past (you do know that there were many FEWER people on earth in the past then there are now, right? Probably not; chalk that up to more of your overweening ignorance.)

And, what point was he trying to make with this stupid and wrong observation about his "trillions and trillions" of people? You don't even know, do you?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Hey, Peacegirl, here is a post for you to address.

:popcorn:
Old 04-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
A coin is a nonliving piece of metal, a dog is a living animal with a brain, there is a difference. Can you understand that?
Also, it doesn't mean that the results aren't significant. I don't even know what peacegirl thinks it means.

If you flip a coin a hundred times, and it comes up heads a hundred times, the chances of it doing that are so infinitesimal, that it's much more likely that it isn't a fair coin than it is that it happened by chance. You would be smart to investigate the coin's weighting and so forth to determine whether it was, in fact, fair.

In the same way, these studies take into account how likely they are to achieve such results by chance. You can be sure that the study actually TELLS you the relevant statistical information, such as how likely the dogs were to have made the choices they did by chance alone. I'm certain that since the study was published with an abstract claiming that dogs can, in fact, recognize their owners, that the p-value is lower than .05, and quite likely significantly lower than that, even.

Of course, in spite of peacegirl claiming to know things with all sorts of "mathematical certainty", I rather doubt she understands what statistical significance means, and how to interpret scientific data.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

No, it stands to reason that if, after X number of coin tosses, the result is 0/100 (you mean 0% one heads, 100% tails for example), it is not necessary that it ever get back to 50%/50%. That is not true and I hope it is not what you were taught. Saying that the chance of heads on a coin flip is "50/50" (or 50%) means that on ANY flip, the chances of heads or tails are equal- "the coin has no memory". What happened in the past has absolutely no affect on what will happen.
:doh:

No, it does not "shed any light," except on your impregnable density.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

I get this, so the past has no bering on the present, and that is why a dog cannot recognize its owner, a dog has no memory. The dogs total lack of memory should certainly proove that lessans was right.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir
ABC DEF GHI JKL MNO
ADG EHK ILO JMB NCF
AEI HLM OBF JND CGK
AHO LBN FIK JCE
AFJ CDL ENG
AKM BDI GJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
CIM DKO FGM

At this point, there are no more triplets I can make without repeating a letter. You'll notice that I'm still short 7 triplets to make 35. I'm willing to believe that maybe I haven't used letter optimally, but...
You got two right. ADG and DKO, and of course the first line is correct.
What makes the others incorrect? You are aware that there might be multiple combinations that are equally correct? That's why we are hounding you to clarify the rules

Quote:
The author asks that you arrange 105 alphabetical blocks divided equally between A and O in groups of 3 and in 7 lines, so that no letter is ever twice with the same letter.
Cannot be twice with any other letter in the groups of 3, or twice with any other letter on a line, or both?
Cannot be twice with any other letter in any of the 35 cominations, which means in any of the lines.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm saying I'm not talking to you for 24 hours. I forgot this morning and answered you, so I have to add a couple more hours. :fuming:
Fine, I'll ask. Are you admitting that light reaches the optic nerve?
LadyShea, I'll answer david directly, but he has a couple more hours of ignore time left. I hate to do this, but I hate being called names even more. And thanks to you explaining to me what choices I have, I feel empowered that I don't have to take the abuse.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Puzzle rules (I think, Lessans writing style even made the puzzle difficult to understand)

You need to make 35 unique 3 letter combinations using only the letters A-O. So basically you can use each letter 7 times, but cannot overlap any letter combination. SO for example

ABC DEF GHI JKL MNO

No two letters can appear together again in any other grouping.
That's correct. He did not make up the rules.
Peacegirl, these are actually the only requirements for this puzzle?

35 triplets composed of the letters A-O, none of which contains any pair of letters that also appears in another triplet?
You're missing one small part. Here it is again:

The author asks that you arrange 105 alphabetical blocks divided equally between A and O in groups of 3 and in 7 lines, so that no letter is ever twice with the same letter.
Leaving aside the sad fact that I can't solve the puzzle because I don't possess any alphabetical blocks to arrange, this still isn't clear. Can you answer erimir's question? Do all 15 letters have to appear once, and only once, on each line?
I thought I answered that. Once only.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

LadyShea, I'll answer david directly, but he has a couple more hours of ignore time left.
Consternation waves
:ohnoes:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy