Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The only thing I am qualified to admit or deny is the proof that will either carry Lessans to a new level, or will kill and bury his ideas forever and a day.
On what basis do you consider yourself qualified to make that determination?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Peacegirl,

You started this thread with the ostensible purpose of interesting people in Lessans' alleged discovery. With, one would presume, the hope that once their interest was aroused they would read the book and recognize the validity and importance of this discovery.

There were two ways you might have accomplished this goal. You might have spent some time posting on the board and establishing your bona fides as a thoughtful and intelligent person. One whose opinions and ideas were deserving of careful and respectful consideration. Or, you might have presented Lessans ideas in a manner calculated to earn them a respectful hearing. Either approach might have served you well. A combination of the two would probably have served you even better.

You did neither. You made no effort to establish yourself as someone whose opinion deserved respect and you presented Lessans' ideas in a manner that practically guaranteed that they would be greeted with suspicion, if not outright derision.

If you are dissatisfied with the reception you have received at :ff:, you really have no one to blame but yourself. Well, to be scrupulously fair, you can also blame Lessans for his grandiose, and often unintelligible, presentation of ideas that lack anything even remotely resembling supporting evidence.

In short, if you want people to take an interest in Lessans' ideas, then you need to give people a reason to take those ideas seriously. You have failed to do this. Not only have you failed to acheive your purpose here, you have failed in a truly epic fashion. For that, if for nothing else, you deserve some manner of recognition.

:golfclap:
Kael (04-26-2011), specious_reasons (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The only thing I am qualified to admit or deny is the proof that will either carry Lessans to a new level, or will kill and bury his ideas forever and a day.
On what basis do you consider yourself qualified to make that determination?
I believe he was right. The only way to prove he was right is to understand his reasoning and observations and add empirical proof, if necessary. If you can't do that, you will continue to deny that he had anything of value.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Peacegirl,

You started this thread with the ostensible purpose of interesting people in Lessans' alleged discovery. With, one would presume, the hope that once their interest was aroused they would read the book and recognize the validity and importance of this discovery.

There were two ways you might have accomplished this goal. You might have spent some time posting on the board and establishing your bona fides as a thoughtful and intelligent person. One whose opinions and ideas were deserving of careful and respectful consideration. Or, you might have presented Lessans ideas in a manner calculated to earn them a respectful hearing. Either approach might have served you well. A combination of the two would probably have served you even better.

You did neither. You made no effort to establish yourself as someone whose opinion deserved respect and you presented Lessans' ideas in a manner that practically guaranteed that they would be greeted with suspicion, if not outright derision.

If you are dissatisfied with the reception you have received at :ff:, you really have no one to blame but yourself. Well, to be scrupulously fair, you can also blame Lessans for his grandiose, and often unintelligible, presentation of ideas that lack anything even remotely resembling supporting evidence.

In short, if you want people to take an interest in Lessans' ideas, then you need to give people a reason to take those ideas seriously. You have failed to do this. Not only have you failed to acheive your purpose here, you have failed in a truly epic fashion. For that, if for nothing else, you deserve some manner of recognition.

:golfclap:
I did the best I could Angakuk, but you wanted ONLY empirical evidence which threw this entire thread off. It justified the hatred in here. It is a very sick thread, and I'm so sorry that it has turned out to be this way. But for you to tell me that I failed in epic proportions, is just another way to justify your stance on what you believe is true according to your worldview.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I did the best I could Angakuk, but you wanted ONLY empirical evidence which threw this entire thread off.
:lol:

Yes, wanting evidence to support claims -- how very tiremsome of us! :lol:

How about some evidence to support Lessans' claim that if the sun were turned on at noon, we would see it instantly, but not see our neighbor for eight minutes until the light reached him? :foocl:

Permit me to inform you, Peacegirl, that this idiotic claim by your father is not just wrong, it's impossible. The source light, and the reflected light, are the same goddamn light. Can anyone really be so dense as not to realize this?

If it takes eight minutes for the sunlight to arrive to reflect off your neighbor so that you can see him, then you won't be able to see the sun itself until eight minutes passes, either! It's impossible to see the source light first and then your neighbor eight minutes later! If you see the source light it's because the source light has reached your eyes, which means you (and your neighbor) will be visible to each other by definition!

Your crackhead father writes something so stupid and you want people to take his bilge seriously? Please.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
you're next

peacegirl: you are a machine. i have hardly read any of this thread, but i believe in you. you're one of my favourite posters here!

108 pages! over 2000 replies!! so little time!!! i bow to your awesomeness.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOZAZ View Post
peacegirl: you are a machine. i have hardly read any of this thread, but i believe in you. you're one of my favourite posters here!

Why does the number of pages matter? This is not a competition Itsozaz, whom I never met in my entire life. Actually, we're all machines run by science. ;)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
I did the best I could Angakuk, but you wanted ONLY empirical evidence which threw this entire thread off.

How about some evidence to support Lessans' claim that if the sun were turned on at noon, we would see it instantly, but not see our neighbor for eight minutes until the light reached him? :foocl:

Permit me to inform you, Peacegirl, that this idiotic claim by your father is not just wrong, it's impossible. The source light, and the reflected light, are the same goddamn light. Can anyone really be so dense as not to realize this?

If it takes eight minutes for the sunlight to arrive to reflect off your neighbor so that you can see him, then you won't be able to see the sun itself until eight minutes passes, either! It's impossible to see the source light first and then your neighbor eight minutes later! If you see the source light it's because the source light has reached your eyes, which means you (and your neighbor) will be visible to each other by definition!

Your crackhead father writes something so stupid and you want people to take his bilge seriously? Please.
david, you are not on my radar. I'm sorry. Not that your questions aren't valid, but your attitude stinks, and I can't be a part of it. So you are a spectator here, not a participant.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

david, you are not in my radar. I'm sorry. Not that your questions aren't valid, but your attitude stinks, and I can't be a part of it. So you are a spectator here, not a participant.
TRANSLATION: "I haven't a fucking clue how to explain my father's idiot rantings, particularly his moronic 'astute observation' that you would see the sun eight minutes before you saw your neighbor. Hence I will adopt the prima donna pose of aggrieved party who won't deign to answer people who pose questions that are impossible for me to answer."

Got it! :wave:
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
you're next

Quote:
Quote:

Why does the number of pages matter? This is not a competition Itsozaz, whom I never met in my entire life. Actually, we're all machines run by science. ;)
i could believe that.

the number of pages matter because nothing anybody says on the internet matters. well...except yourself. i certainly matter.

i.
am.
matter!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
you're next

btw...i pretty much love all the freaks that post stuff up in this forum. this is the coolest forum at ff.

wanna be a sad kitten with me?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
peacegirl, you can stop posting, put people on ignore, or respond, or do whatever you want. However the "barring" people from posting to you is just more histrionics.

And there is no witch hunt here. Goodness you are delusional.
I didn't mean bar; I meant ignore. Wow, what one mistaken word can cause. :eek::eek::eek: I don't even feel right putting anyone on ignore, let alone bar them.
You said "You are barred from posting to me" numerous times, rather than "I am going to ignore you". You warned people that they were next to be barred from speaking to you. You told people they shouldn't post or how they should post.. You said people "made" you feel or act a certain way and basically used mostly "you" statements instead of "I" statements

That's putting the responsibility for your own feelings and actions onto others instead of taking responsibility for yourself. I am working on that with my 5 year old now. Didn't they go over that in your psychology courses?
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM

repeat
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

david, you are not in my radar. I'm sorry. Not that your questions aren't valid, but your attitude stinks, and I can't be a part of it. So you are a spectator here, not a participant.
TRANSLATION: "I haven't a fucking clue how to explain my father's idiot rantings, particularly his moronic 'astute observation' that you would see the sun eight minutes before you saw your neighbor. Hence I will adopt the prima donna pose of aggrieved party who won't deign to answer people who pose questions that are impossible for me to answer."

Got it! :wave:
Why are you still posting to me? Let others hear your rantings and ravings, but do not direct the posts to me. Thank you very much.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

[quote=LadyShea;939180]
Quote:
Quote:
peacegirl, you can stop posting, put people on ignore, or respond, or do whatever you want. However the "barring" people from posting to you is just more histrionics.

And there is no witch hunt here. Goodness you are delusional.
I didn't mean bar; I meant ignore. Wow, what one mistaken word can cause. :eek::eek::eek: I don't even feel right putting anyone on ignore, let alone bar them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You said "You are barred from posting to me" numerous times, rather than "I am going to ignore you". You warned people that they were next to be barred from speaking to you. You told people they shouldn't post or how they should post. You said people "made" you feel or act a certain way and basically used mostly "you" statements instead of "I" statements.
Do you realize how horrible people have been in here, to the point that I actually think they would burn me alive for the sake of 'truth and justice'? That's not a simple accusation such as "you did this and I don't see your point of view (this is a normal response)," or "I feel this way and I'm hurt, so could we discuss this further?" (this is also a normal response). But this thread has been an all out attack on me, just like a mad dog attacks, and it's dangerous.

Barred from speaking to me is not barred from the thread. I only meant ignored LadyShea. I don't even put anyone on ignore. I don't even know the first thing how to use it, and I don't want to know. But to have such vengence against me would be hard for any human being to take, and I need to protect myself in some way. Afterall, self-preservation is the first law of nature, and I'm just following orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
That's putting the responsibility for your own feelings and actions onto others instead of taking responsibility for yourself. I am working on that with my 5 year old now. Didn't they go over that in your psychology courses?
That might be a theory LadyShea, but to actually ignore the negative messages given by others, especially of a child as young as 5, is not fair and not even do-able in the real world. I hope you give your son positive messages, because he will get a lot of negative ones, especially if you put him into public school.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Quote:
Why are you still posting to me? Let others hear yoru rantings and ravings, but do not direct the posts to me. Thank you very much.
He will direct his posts to whomever he pleases, and there isn't a motherfucking thing that you will ever be able to do about it. Understood, cunt?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
. Didn't they go over that in your psychology courses?
Just curious LadyShea, On what basis do you think peacegirl has taken psychology courses? I was under the impression that her main education was her fathers book.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM
the internet says I'm right

Here's a wacky question: Why are you still quoting and responding to him? You've told davidm you're "done with him" or similar probably 20 times now, yet you keep responding to his latest insult. You have no ability to change what and how he posts, so why do you keep handing down edicts like "do not direct the posts to me" as though they're going to make a damn bit of difference? If you're done with him, STOP RESPONDING! The forum even has extensively customizable ignore features, so you'll never have to see another post from him, which will no doubt be as derisive and insulting as the rest. Thank you very much.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-26-2011), LadyShea (04-26-2011), SharonDee (04-26-2011), Stephen Maturin (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
btw...i pretty much love all the freaks that post stuff up in this forum. this is the coolest forum at ff.

wanna be a sad kitten with me?
No honey, I don't like to see a sad kitten. Only a happy one. ;)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Here's a wacky question: Why are you still quoting and responding to him? You've told davidm you're "done with him" or similar probably 20 times now, yet you keep responding to his latest insult. You have no ability to change what and how he posts, so why do you keep handing down edicts like "do not direct the posts to me" as though they're going to make a damn bit of difference? If you're done with him, STOP RESPONDING! The forum even has extensively customizable ignore features, so you'll never have to see another post from him, which will no doubt be as derisive and insulting as the rest. Thank you very much.
I guess I feel sorry for him Kael because he can't believe that images are not interpreted through signals in the brain. He is dumbfounded and totally mystified (because he can't understand exactly what's going on, so he is in attack mode). I really feel some sort of obligation to help him out of his fog of confusion. But I don't want to actually engage in a conversation because he will keep talking about Daddy's mistakes. :(
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Quote:
Why are you still posting to me? Let others hear yoru rantings and ravings, but do not direct the posts to me. Thank you very much.
He will direct his posts to whomever he pleases, and there isn't a motherfucking thing that you will ever be able to do about it. Understood, cunt?
Goliath, I can see that you are using your brawn, not your brains, to get me to concede. But I don't need your brawn; I need your brains. Please use them because you are a mathematician and you could be very instrumental in helping people to understand this knowledge. I'm being very serious right now. Don't waste your talents just to get back at me in a very destructive way.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Quote:
But I don't need your brawn; I need your brains.
Bitch, you wouldn't know what to do with half of a brain. What possible use could you have for mine?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Ain't that the truth. Did that come from Lessans book?
Thanks, from:
Goliath (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I guess I feel sorry for him Kael because he can't believe that images are not interpreted through signals in the brain. He is dumbfounded and totally mystified (because he can't understand exactly what's going on, so he is in attack mode). I really feel some sort of obligation to help him out of his fog of confusion. But I don't want to actually engage in a conversation because he will keep talking about Daddy's mistakes. :(

If I had not seen the rest of this thread and Lessans book, I would never have believed how far over the edge this is.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
. Didn't they go over that in your psychology courses?
Just curious LadyShea, On what basis do you think peacegirl has taken psychology courses? I was under the impression that her main education was her fathers book.
She stated it to erimir, IIRC, and on another forum's thread I read she has a degree.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy