Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Have you ever doubted anthropomorphic polytheism?

Have you ever doubted anthropomorphic polytheism?

Those individuals who comprehend such things, in this case I am speaking of art historians in general and Alois Riegl in particular, inform me that the worldview of primitive wo/man at the very beginnings of human history was founded upon an infinite polytheism. That is to say that “everything in nature that moved, grew, and died without agency—or even against the will—of man seemed superior to him for its autonomy of existence and will. Everything in nature was therefore a god.”

At some crucial moment in human progress wo/man developed a more secure conception of her relationship with the world. When s/he began to confine their mutual perception to individual phenomena of nature that appeared to be the strongest and most frightening they became more assured of their power to prevail in many contests. “With that shift, we find ourselves standing in the very first period of history: the first opportunity has opened up to activate desired improvements of nature.”

This began a natural progression for humanity. As s/he recognized the ability to overcome the most ferocious and deadly of all animals wo/man came to recognize a degree of superiority over nature. “At the same time, he still had to acknowledge behind every natural phenomenon the presence of a driving, animating force far removed from human perception or control…A distinction yet unknown to primitive peoples, who ascribed an autonomous will to everything in nature.”

Wo/man recognized a dichotomy between that which they had some significant control to that which they could only reason to be underlying the appearance reached through human visual faculties. Humans recognized here the natural that could be readily perceived, but also recognized that there was much more that humans could only imagine but not perceive or control. S/he could only imagine these reasoned realities and naturally imagined them to be endowed with sensible human form; the only form imaginable at this time in human development.

“Only human form could appear worthy of a force superior to human beings. Thus was born anthropomorphic polytheism, which the Greeks would bring to its fullest perfection.” Henceforth we humans could envision those forces superior to our own must be envisioned as in human form but unencumbered by our shortcomings in matters of beauty and mortality.

Quotes from Historical Grammar of the Visual Arts by Alois Riegl
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Have you ever doubted anthropomorphic polytheism?

First.

--J.D.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Worship your goddess.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (07-04-2009), Shake (07-16-2009), Smilin (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM

I've never seen anyone with that shade of blue eyes. They must be contacts. Either that or the camera didn't accurately pick up the color.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Shake (07-16-2009), Smilin (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Shake (07-16-2009), Smilin (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmion View Post
I've never seen anyone with that shade of blue eyes. They must be contacts. Either that or the camera didn't accurately pick up the color.
No, I think Doctor X is wearing glasses, and those are pictures of Woody the Woodpecker or something. :yup:

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Woody the Woodpecker was my favorite cartoon before I grew up and started watching The Jerry Seinfeld Show featuring Crammer.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmion View Post
I have. There's a mixed race man on the bus I rode to work whose eyes were that color. They were not contacts, either, I suspect, as he wore glasses.

He was striking because he was light brown skin and dreadlocks bespoke his African heritage, and amongst that background, blue eyes are exceedingly rare.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Fishy mokey

Dreadlocks are an invention by Jamaican Rastafarians though, not African. The Rastas believe the Bible tells them to grow their hair long like that, based on the same Old Testament verse that the Orthodox Jews use to justify their curly locks.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Flipper 11/11

He was in one of those movies. Might have been with Steven Seagal in it.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Dreadlocks are an invention by Jamaican Rastafarians though, not African. The Rastas believe the Bible tells them to grow their hair long like that, based on the same Old Testament verse that the Orthodox Jews use to justify their curly locks.
Okay.

And Jamaican Rastafarians are usually of what heritage? I think there exists a high potential that it is syncretic.

It doesn't mean that much here, anyway...it's a 'fashion statement', so far as I can tell.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Flipper 11/11

This is not the best picture. It's the only one I could find. The actor's name is Basil Wallace and played in the move, Marked for Death. I also believe he's wearing contacts, because it shows other pictures (on Google) and his eyes aren't anywhere near that color.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy