Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome

Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 AM
silky...

Default Re: WTF smilies you see at other forums

She has to shit but her toilet is outside and her daughter is sick so she doesn't want to leave her.

Posters are suggesting she use a bowl or something, eventually she shits on some newspapers. :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC'er with highspeed internet and no indoor plumbing

help! sick DD - WWYD?

ok, dd is sick. she has a high fever, and general feeling crap since last night.
no biggie, i'm keeping her hydrated, and I don't have any problems with fever per se.

. . .

so!, my big problem is (apart from having a sick kid and being a bit freaked out):

I need to go poop. but i feel like i can't leave her alone. and we dont have a flushing indoor toilet, just an outdoor composting toilet, about 80ft from the house, and it's pouring rain.

She's asleep with her head on my lap. i can't get up, i don't want to leave her alone, even for 5 minutes. and there's no way i can take my sick kid out into the rain on a cold night, to shiver at the toilet. there's no where even to put her down in there.

WWYD???
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

I remember being sick as a kid, when my mom would lay my head in her lap and gently stroke my hair, making me feel like if I just went to sleep I'd feel better again. And I fell asleep, and I did.

I wish she'd taken a dump in the floor like a real mom.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-21-2008), Anastasia Beaverhausen (11-20-2008), BrotherMan (11-20-2008), erimir (11-20-2008), Kael (11-21-2008), LadyShea (11-20-2008), Legs (11-20-2008), livius drusus (11-20-2008), Shelli (11-20-2008), Smilin (11-21-2008), Sock Puppet (11-21-2008), Watser? (11-22-2008), wei yau (11-20-2008), Ymir's blood (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 AM
silky...

:longing:

Nice memory, Chuck.
ChuckF (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 AM
silky...

One more for tonight and I'm done

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy lady

yay me!!!!

yay me!!!! went to doctors yesterday and found out i am 1 month pregnant with twins. supposed to be girls possibly boys. we are excited. what do you think for names. vote on the poll.
supposed to be girls, possibly boys :foocl:

I'm pretty sure they can't see twins at one month.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
She has to shit but her toilet is outside and her daughter is sick so she doesn't want to leave her.

Posters are suggesting she use a bowl or something, eventually she shits on some newspapers. :eek:
:whatthefuck: :larrow: I love how lip-readable that smiley is.

The :lulztrain: keeps on runnin'

Shouldn't this thread be renamed something to do with woo-woo-nature-moms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
I remember being sick as a kid, when my mom would lay my head in her lap and gently stroke my hair, making me feel like if I just went to sleep I'd feel better again. And I fell asleep, and I did.

I wish she'd taken a dump in the floor like a real mom.
:aww: Dat's such a cute stowwy

Especially the part about shitting on the floor.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-21-2008), Legs (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Quote:

I think they generally discover it at the twelve-week scan.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I think you can determine the gender by 6 weeks, but possibly not with ultra sound, maybe through dissection and/or gene sampling (from the biology class I took, ethics of genetics).
I had a nuchal fold ultra sound at 13 weeks (combined with genetic testing) for birth defects, which was really cool and I could see all sorts of things. Him sucking his thumb for example.
The ultra sound technician could not determine my son's gender at that point. Although the one at 23 weeks gave me an ultra sound with an arrow pointing at my son's penis.
I'm saving that one for show and tell at his first date, "...and here's his first penis picture."

I think you could hear the heart beat about 6 weeks and maybe see two sacs by ultra sound, but one month? Nah!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy lady

yay me!!!!

yay me!!!! went to doctors yesterday and found out i am 1 month pregnant with twins. supposed to be girls possibly boys. we are excited. what do you think for names. vote on the poll.

No, they can't determine fuck-all at one month except "pregnant for now" with any normal testing (as Qindai said maybe genetic tests can see something). Even heartbeat isn't detectable via ultrasound until about 7 weeks.

Here is a 5.5 week ultrasound

Possibly two sacks could be seen at a month, but that doesn't mean they would stay twins (vanishing twin is quite common).
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 AM
silky...

Keep a bucket of water handy when you burn the umbilical cord. I guess that's better than gnawing it in half with your teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC'er 1

when my son was a couple hours old, we burned his cord & i now encourage everyone to do it! it doesn't smell that bad, it sizzles & pops & it's quite safe as long as someone (most likely the mother) is keeping an eye on the baby's protection. we used a paper plate, cut in half with a notch cut out of the top one, they were held like this: ~|~

the only drawback is that you can't do it as close to the body as cutting, but you can always trim it shorter later. we used beeswax candles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC'er 2

I tried this with my first baby... but it was taking too long for the Mid wife's liking, so we ended up cutting it. I wish we had finished it with the candle. It was so peaceful, and I bet it feels really warm in the baby's belly.

So maxi pads are out, but paper plates are fine? :chin: and after you burn it off you still have to cut it to trim it shorter? :wtf:
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Coffin Creep

Beeswax candles? If they were really crunchy they'd have used a bow and stick.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 AM

maybe i shouldn't ask why burning is a preference?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
maybe i shouldn't ask why burning is a preference?
It cuts the umbilical cord *and* cooks it for later snacking.
erimir (11-21-2008), Lady Brik (11-21-2008), Legs (11-21-2008), Smilin (11-21-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Yeah, that sounds like a troll story. Was that written by seitan stew too?

The only thing I could imagine is it's warming the baby somehow?
You know a heating pad works pretty well for that.
I can just imagine the mid wife rolling her eyes in the back ground.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM
silky...

I don't think it's a troll story, several other women with high post counts say they did this to their newborns. :flamer:
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Let's burn that baby down!

:immolate:
Thanks, from:
Legs (11-21-2008), Shelli (11-22-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
You don't have to drink it, you apply it to your face.
Ahem.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-21-2008), Garnet (11-22-2008), JoeP (11-21-2008), Julie (11-21-2008), Legs (11-21-2008), Shelli (11-22-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Woopeople seem to like burning things, so this may be some made up ritual that seems all spiritual and stuff, but has no real meaning or point behind it.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 AM
silky...

I know you've all been waiting for a new entry. :narrow:

Quote:

Please tell me if this is a really stupid idea or not.

My husband and I have found a garden shed we think is big enough to live in. It also has two sleeping lofts. (Probably around 300 sq feet, in total?) We have thought about hauling it to his parent's land (they live far in the country in a rural area) and insulating it and living in it eventually if the economy really goes to hell in a handbasket. If things get much worse, we would not be able to keep our current house and we do NOT want to be homeless or end up living in the house with our parents.

Stupid? We wouldn't be applying for any permits, because it's so far out in the country and we would be tucked in the woods (sort of) behind their house. We'd just hook into their water and power and pay them for the extra we use. We'd be able to heat it with a very small wood stove, and their land has plenty of wood we would be able to use. And if things got REALLY bad, there is an old well on the property. I'm sure the water would need some kind of filtering or treatment, but it would be better than nothing.

We think we could do the whole thing for about $5,000.

A Garden Shed? :vapours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC'er 2

We just moved into a 624 sq ft cabin. It has one bedroom, a dressing room, and open concept kitchen/living/dining- well, it's just a big room with kitchen stuff taking up a corner of it

We're six people. Three boys sleep in the bedroom together, and dh and I sleep with the babe in the main room, then put our 'bed' back onto the couch in the morning- quick and easy.

We have an outhouse and no running water. I am planning to make a sawdust, squatting toilet for the winter because it apparently goes down to -60*C in the winter, and I'm not sure how well we'll cope with going out there 3x for each of us/day, even with using a pee bucket inside. I have to find a source of sawdust, though. Having an outhouse isn't difficult, for now. There are only 4 of us using it at present, expecting a fifth this winter (he's a bit afraid of the big hole underneath him, so he's still in diapers). My sawdust squatter won't be as intimidating

We hope to build in the next two years- also small- maybe a cob/strawbale hybrid. We have a friend who has lived comfortably in a canvas tent in -45*C and also a cabin he built out of logs and a metal roof. He'll be spending the winter in the latter this year.

I think it's totally doable, and yes, it will require creativity, but clearly you have that ability and willingness covered!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

Do these people not remember what happened to Mary?

Living like they Are Laura Ingles...ugh!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 AM
silky...

uhhh, didn't she have a fire or something? blindness? I can't remember.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:26 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Was she attacked by a clown? Is that the Little House episode you are thinking of? That was creepy.

I've had friends who lived like that in the woods, for a short period of time, usually.

Panic! :onfire:
Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

She had a fever and she went blind (and had her head shaved...her beautiful golden curls)...cause you know living in a small cabin with no running water is he idea place to prevent germs...
Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Oh, that part. Not the TV show.

Yeah, hygiene is good. The no running water is probably the breaking point for me, as much as I love camping. The no hot running water would be the breaking point for my husband.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 AM
That's Count Von Count to you!

Location: With the beach bums, hippies and bogans. I fit right in.

I rode in on the :lulztrain: but I think I got off at the wrong station!

Hi, crunchy mama signing in. :cool:
*Our 3yo daughter is not vaccinated. It is a matter of risk assessment. I feel that the greater risk for our child lies with vaccinating. So far we have chosen to delay vaccinations rather than refuse completely. We aren't sure how long we will delay for but we will continue to reassess the risks from both sides.
This is our risk assessment for our family. Yours may be different and that's cool.

*We do not share a family arse-rag. We use honest-to-goodness shop-bought bog paper. But I am still a hippy! :P

*Our daughter self weaned just before her 3rd birthday. I would have allowed her access to breastmilk for as long as she felt she needed it. If that went on until she was 5 or 6, I would have started to look at why she still felt the need to breastfeed and attempted to address it from that angle. I have never really understood why people think it is perfectly acceptable for a child to consume the milk from a hairy-faeces covered cow that they've never even met than it is to drink the milk from their own mums. Humans are fucking strange!

*She also sleeps in our bed. We have never had sex while she was attached to my breast. We have had sex while she was asleep in the same room. However, sex is not limited to a night time shag in bed and if it is for you, you’re bloody boring!

*I use cloth pads. That I make myself.

*We used cloth nappies until she was toilet trained. I made them myself too.

*I have never eaten any of my placentas; however I do see the reason for it and agree that it is often a bloody (geddit?) good idea. The placenta is rich in oxytocin, which is important in helping the uterus to contract to stem post-partum bleeding and also helps prevent PND and the baby blues. It’s not because cats do it, it’s because it is an effective treatment. If I had have had severe postpartum bleeding, I may have gagged down some drippy bleedy goodness.

*We don’t smoke pot.

*I scored 179 on the ‘how crunchy are you’ quiz. WOW!~Crunchier than Grape Nuts! Apparently.

*When I was still lactating, breastmilk was used for various ailments. It can be applied to cuts, grazes and stings as antiseptic, used as eye drops for conjunctivitis, expressed into a shot glass and drank to ward off flus etc. It’s liquid gold I tells ya!

* We practice gentle parenting. We don’t hit our children. We believe that children are people too, and it is possible to raise respectful, happy healthy kids without whacking them/shaming them/intimidating them. Happy to report it’s working so far…

*The 3yo I was referring to is named Shine. :giggle: Hippy cred restored.

I am more than happy to discuss any of our parenting practices with you. I don't think we're weardy beardy nutjobs - rather, we are just parents trying to raise our children as conscientiously as possible in the hope that we churn out decent happy healthy adults. I'm not saying that our methods are the only way to do that, but these are the things that make the most sense to us.
LadyShea (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Quote:
I know you've all been waiting for a new entry. :narrow:

Quote:

Please tell me if this is a really stupid idea or not.

My husband and I have found a garden shed we think is big enough to live in. It also has two sleeping lofts. (Probably around 300 sq feet, in total?) We have thought about hauling it to his parent's land (they live far in the country in a rural area) and insulating it and living in it eventually if the economy really goes to hell in a handbasket. If things get much worse, we would not be able to keep our current house and we do NOT want to be homeless or end up living in the house with our parents.

Stupid? We wouldn't be applying for any permits, because it's so far out in the country and we would be tucked in the woods (sort of) behind their house. We'd just hook into their water and power and pay them for the extra we use. We'd be able to heat it with a very small wood stove, and their land has plenty of wood we would be able to use. And if things got REALLY bad, there is an old well on the property. I'm sure the water would need some kind of filtering or treatment, but it would be better than nothing.

We think we could do the whole thing for about $5,000.

A Garden Shed? :vapours:

I'm not too sure what the problem is there. Unlike many people they have recognised that the economy is going to go downhill and they are preparing for it. There are sheds, and there are sheds. This sounds like the kind of shed that can certainly be utilised as living quarters. I say good on them for thinking ahead.

I certainly don't think it's worth fainting over.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome