Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-31-2004, 01:58 AM
Admin

Default Paintings I Like

I stumbled on a thread in another forum today that's filled with interesting artwork. Some I'd seen a million times, others I'd never seen. Here's a selection of works I really like from pages 8-9 of the thread. BTW the thread navigation controls are in the upper right and lower left. Strand = page, naslednja strand = Next page, and prejsnja strand = previous page. I don't know what language that is (Polish?) but anyway I've included the titles that were posted for each of the pictures.

Renoir,Pierre-Auguste ... slika: Dancers

mislim, da je nekdo omenil tudi Kandinskega ... sledi

slovenski Leon Koporc, "Sanje"

Timal tu mas eno od Debussy-a

pa se malo v Japonsko ... Hokusai-jeva dela

Guy Rose (american impressionist)

Andrew Wyeth ... veter...
Old 07-31-2004, 02:17 AM
Admin

Default Re: Paintings I Like

That one in my previous post with the British soliders is by a Slovenian, Leon Koporc. I found this bio and some more of his work at the site that hosts the above image. Cool.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:51 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I love that Wyeth piece. Translucence in painting is always amazing to me. Oh, and the Japanese wave is one of the classics freemonkey made into avatars for our Art Collection section. :)

Great choices, Tom. I'll be back tomorrow to add some of my own faves.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:14 AM
A fellow sophisticate

On my single visit to NYC my little brother took me to MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). I was completely spellbound by Van Gogh's Starry Night. Seeing it in person is far better than any print or photo of it.

They also had a few Renoirs there that I really enjoyed.

Prior to that visit, where I got to see them up close and in person, I was really never a big fan of Impressionist paintings. I gained a whole new appreciation for the color and the brush strokes, they are pure genius.

My favorite Wyeth, and probably his most famous:

There were a number of Picassos there too. I still don't get Picasso.

We have a framed print of this in our hallway which I bought for $3 at a garage sale:

Warren
Old 07-31-2004, 05:59 AM
professional left-winger

That Wyeth with the curtains blowing in the window is one of my favorites. I love that one with the green umbrella, I've never seen it before.

I was searching the web for some paintings by an artist I like, and found this interesting story about Frans Widerberg vs. George Bush

I was also trying to find a painting I love by Anselm Kiefer. I'd never heard of him, but found myself standing in front of one of his paintings at the Seattle Art Museum a few years ago. It was huge! It was a very simple painting, of a small figure standing looking up at a skyful of stars. It brought tears to my eyes.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Admin

Those are some pretty pictures, Warren. I'd like to see Starry Night in person, I've always liked it. The only famous work of art I've ever seen in person was American Gothic at the Art Institute of Chicago. This one, in case anyone doesn't know it by name:

Click here for more information about it from the image source.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:57 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Anything by Lord Frederic Leighton and JW Waterhouse. I have a Circe Invidiosa print hanging on my wall, and one day I aspire to be able to draw clothing folds, paint skintones and do hands as well as the Pre-Raphelite masters. I once had the honour of seeing these pictures amoung others at an exhibition that toured the country a few years ago. Nothing can describe what Clytie or Flaming June looks like in real life, when you see the amazing play of light over the paint and varnish.

I've always had a thing for Aubrey Beardsley's work as well, though he wasn't really a painter. His detailed B&W illustrations are just gorgeous.

And finally, Gustav Klimt- Hygieia. Just beautiful
Old 07-31-2004, 03:03 PM
dancing backward in high heels

One of my favorites is Jules Breton's "The Weeders."

Not really sure why. On my first visit to the Met, it just caught my eye and it was one of those where you're just transfixed. The expressions on the workers faces are truly heart-wrenching, and though it represents a village in 19th century France, the landscape is almost what I'd see looking out my window at my parents' house; the wide expanse of sky against the green fields. There are several of Breton's works I really like, but this is my favorite.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:08 PM

Ooh, thought of one more I have a print of in my bedroom. Van Gogh, "First steps:"

A touring Van Gogh exhibit came to the Toledo MoA about a year and a half ago, which just happened to coincide with when my son was learning to walk, so that one was rather fitting at the time.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I was also trying to find a painting I love by Anselm Kiefer. I'd never heard of him, but found myself standing in front of one of his paintings at the Seattle Art Museum a few years ago. It was huge! It was a very simple painting, of a small figure standing looking up at a skyful of stars. It brought tears to my eyes.
Hmm. Is it this one? There's no little figure that I can see, but lots of stars anyway.

At any rate I've seen a whole lot of Kiefer's work now, in the process of searching for the one you mentioned. A lot of it seems pretty dark and dismal, but enthralling. I probably would've liked his stuff a lot more 10 years ago, when I was repulsed by flowers and other excesses of color. :) Nevertheless as captivating and expressive as the prints are, I can only imagine what it would be like to see some of these works up close. I hope I get a chance to.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:51 PM

As soon as i figure it out.....I'll put up a couple pics.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
And finally, Gustav Klimt- Hygieia. Just beautiful
I almost included a couple of Klimt's pieces in my OP. My ex-gf had a print of The Kiss:

and livius showed me Danae for the first time: click to enlarge
Old 07-31-2004, 04:31 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Hmm. Is it this one? There's no little figure that I can see, but lots of stars anyway.
No, that's not it.

Quote:
At any rate I've seen a whole lot of Kiefer's work now, in the process of searching for the one you mentioned. A lot of it seems pretty dark and dismal, but enthralling. I probably would've liked his stuff a lot more 10 years ago, when I was repulsed by flowers and other excesses of color. :) Nevertheless as captivating and expressive as the prints are, I can only imagine what it would be like to see some of these works up close. I hope I get a chance to.
I know what you mean about the darkness. I don't think that's what I like about the work, though.

The sculptural/textural quality and the "bigness" certainly give them something. And the social commentary. Look at these.

Roland, I love "The Weeders"

I've been serching for an pic of a painting I like by Icelandic artist, Johannes S. Kjarval, titled "yearning for Flight" All I can find online is this:

Apparently its on a banknote, and doesn't have the impact of the original (and I don't know what that stuff in the middle of the bill is). I might have it in a book and can scan it.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I know what you mean about the darkness. I don't think that's what I like about the work, though.

The sculptural/textural quality and the "bigness" certainly give them something. And the social commentary. Look at these.
Yeah, I saw that site in my travels. Very cool stuff. I like the use of cold and muted colors because I think his subject matter is very... serious? Sorry but I'm not feeling very expressive right now. Anyway I don't think I found a print online that does his work justice, exactly because it seems a huge part of the impact is the texture and size of the pieces.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:00 PM

Last time I was at the National Gallery, I stumbled across this Murillo, Two Women at a Window (aka Las Gallegas), and for some reason it spoke to me. I spent about an hour in front of it.

The digital image doesn't do it justice. The real thing just pops out at you.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:13 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Nice to see you PZ :)

I saw this Degas at the Bellagio, now known as the Wynn Collection. What I found fascinating is the unusual direction of the lighting and shadows because it is coming from below from the the footlights on the forefigure, but the standard more overhead lighting on the backstage figures.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:56 PM

Ok, thanks to Lady Shea, I can now post.

HenryRaeburn...The Allen Brothers James and John Lee Allen

SalvatorRosa...Pythagoras Emerging from the Underworld

Old 08-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Oops! I almost forgot!

Gil Elvgren, god of pinups.

Sorry it's so big, but I couldn't bring myself to reduce its loveliness. I have a whole book full of his lovely pouty artworks. Some of the best $20 I ever spent.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:46 PM

Maan, I had forgotten about pin-up art. And the suff of D&D. and Bomber nose art.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:00 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawen
...and Bomber nose art.
A lot of which was pretty risque for the era:

Warren
Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Although this isn't quite on topic...

I absolutely love M.C. Escher's work. In particular, I'm in love with this lamp.

*swoon*
Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

As a rule, I like "realistic" artwork. There are exceptions, though; for example, Picasso so perfectly captures Don Quixote that I just love this one:

Though Maxfield Parrish isn't my favorite artist, his "Ecstasy" is my favorite painting of all time:

My favorite living artist is probably Robert Bateman, who paints the most unbelievably realistic and finely-observed portraits of wild animals:

The paintings of Bob Timberlake always evoke a real sense of nostalgia, since he lives just a short distance from where I grew up, and most of his paintings feel very familiar to me.

I just love the paintings of John William Waterhouse, especially the tragic "The Lady of Shalott":

Edmund Blair Leighton was another who tended to specialize in somewhat romantic imagery drawn largely from Arthurian legend:

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 08-04-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Though Maxfield Parrish isn't my favorite artist, his "Ecstasy" is my favorite painting of all time:
Oooooh, I really like that one.

I'll have to look into Leighton's works as well. I have way too much stuff about Arthurian legends.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:25 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Last night I watched Girl with a Pearl Earring, starring Colin Firth and Scarlet Johansson. It was about how a servant girl was the inspiration for Johannes Vermeer's painting of the same name.

Compare that with a still from the movie:

In fact, most of the scenes in the movies were much like Vermeer and Rembrandt paintings, very artistic, and as far as I could tell, very accurate.

Warren
Old 08-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Okay, so maybe it's not as culturally acceptable as traditional media, but I really admire people who excell in digital paintings. I've just picked out a few of the highlights from my recent trawl through my devArt watch list.

Number One. Okay, so nevermind it's fanart/manga style, it still makes me jealous that these kinds of people have TEH SKILLZ that I can only dream of.

Number Two. I really love this fellow's stuff. It doesn't show up well on an LCD screen though (stupid Uni computers...).

Number Three. This guy is fucking amazing.

Oh, and someone who's very well known on DA is Ukitakumuki. He does his stuff professionally and uses a style that's probably the closest thing to traditional painting I've ever seen online.*compels you to look at his gallery*

I used links to the pages instead of the images because DA will banninate me if I direct-link to the piccys...

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature