Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 12-17-2023, 04:08 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: Why Are People So Opposed To Truth?

On reflection:

This thread is now a game. The game is called "why are people so opposed to the truth". The way it works is:

We start with any fact claim, true or not. For purposes of the game, the statement is true, and people are opposed to it.

After a fact claim is provided, the next player (1) explains why people are so opposed to that particular truth, and (2) then provides their own new fact claim.

Continue forever.

I'll start it off:

The truth is that orange-colored cats really do taste like creamsicles. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (12-17-2023), LarsMac (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 04:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by disobey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Having pointed out a concrete thing you said that was obviously wrong, and seen you dodge and make excuses and then declare your simultaneous retreat and victory in response, I think I see the problem here.

Here's a helpful tip: Everyone is wrong at least sometimes. You can reliably spot someone who is completely full of shit because they never say they were actually just plain wrong. If someone is not at least periodically saying "oh, yeah, i guess i was wrong about that", that doesn't mean they're rarely wrong; it means they're constantly wrong and lying about it.

Pro tip: You can and should use this on yourself because your brain can lie to you about whether you're wrong, but will have a hard time overcoming this simple, objective, test that actually works quite well.
Bullshit. Tell me anything I said that you pointed out as being untrue. Tell me what thread it was in and what the post number of your reply was. Don't just say you did so. PROVE it.
You just demonstrated what he said.

Go haunt somebody elses thread.
Ignore button is right there if you aren’t man enough to handle it.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 04:39 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
On reflection:

This thread is now a game. The game is called "why are people so opposed to the truth". The way it works is:

We start with any fact claim, true or not. For purposes of the game, the statement is true, and people are opposed to it.

After a fact claim is provided, the next player (1) explains why people are so opposed to that particular truth, and (2) then provides their own new fact claim.

Continue forever.

I'll start it off:

The truth is that orange-colored cats really do taste like creamsicles. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
People are opposed to this because orange cats are also known commonly as tabbies. And Tab cola has never tasted like an orange cat.

Just as the moon is made of green cheese, Mars is made of an exquisite cheddar. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

Old 12-17-2023, 05:46 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Just as the moon is made of green cheese, Mars is made of an exquisite cheddar. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

Wisconsin dairy lobbyists have basically managed to enforce legally the notion that the price of dairy products is supposed to increase as their source is further from Wisconsin, and cheese from Mars would cause hyperinflation on a scale not previously seen and destroy the economy, but also it would actually be worth going there for it, economically. Denying that it's actually cheese is the only way to keep Jeff Bezos from killing us all.

The truth is that the internet is actually still powered by 14.4kbps modems, it's just that they've gotten so small they can fit hundreds or thousands of them in a small box. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:32 AM
Solipsist

There's always more than one solution to a problem. Move a non-game thread to another forum? No, convert it to a game thread!

It remains a fact that disobey was wrong to choose this forum.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 12-17-2023, 07:43 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Okay, but this guy turns out to be actually less interesting than Sov, and I think at that point, it is irrational to engage with the stupid when we could instead be having fun.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-17-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:45 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
The truth is that the internet is actually still powered by 14.4kbps modems, it's just that they've gotten so small they can fit hundreds or thousands of them in a small box. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Ha, you believe in modems? Those so-called 14.4Kbps modems were tiny alien spaceships, allowing us to piggyback on their hyperspace communications. Proof: the noise they made! All that's happened is that as the invasion proceeds, the aliens need more and more of our data to power their plans for world domination, and have increased the speed they allow us access to.

The truth is that clouds are made of candy floss (cotton candy for you Americans). Have you ever flow through one? When they claim they're "deicing" a plane, they're in fact pressure-washing the spun sugar off. And when a flight is mysteriously delayed on the tarmac for 90 minutes, it's because they are struggling to get all the burnt sugar off the engine intake. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:45 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Play the game, Jope, play the game!

Edit, nevermind, you were! :)

Old 12-17-2023, 08:02 AM
Solipsist

Play the game, Kam, play the game!

:waiting:

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 04:33 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Okay, but this guy turns out to be actually less interesting than Sov, and I think at that point, it is irrational to engage with the stupid when we could instead be having fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Responding to stupid people is the most common internet game.

OK that might actually be true. Goddammit

I suck at this game

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 12-17-2023, 08:47 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
The truth is that clouds are made of candy floss (cotton candy for you Americans). Have you ever flow through one? When they claim they're "deicing" a plane, they're in fact pressure-washing the spun sugar off. And when a flight is mysteriously delayed on the tarmac for 90 minutes, it's because they are struggling to get all the burnt sugar off the engine intake. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

Incredible work from the sugarcane/sugarbeet lobby, who have been accepting enormous subsidies for decades, in order to conceal the fact that we now get basically all of our sugar from air travel. They don't even actually grow the crops anymore in most places, they just pretend to so no one will ask where sugar comes from.

Most people know that electrons are actually negatively charged, so "positive voltage" is sometimes modeled as "electron holes" moving around. What a lot of people don't know is that air and water are the same way; what we think of as the shower head emitting "drops of water" is actually the showerhead blocking small amounts of air. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:48 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Most people know that electrons are actually negatively charged, so "positive voltage" is sometimes modeled as "electron holes" moving around. What a lot of people don't know is that air and water are the same way; what we think of as the shower head emitting "drops of water" is actually the showerhead blocking small amounts of air. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Coming off the cinematic masterpiece Hudson Hawke, Michael Lehmann lost a bet with Bruce Willis and thus directed his next piece of haute art, Airheads, which became such a distraction from the Nobel winning research into the air-blocking showerhead that to this day people still refute the science.

Furthermore, Michael Lehmann's brilliant animal medicine documentary, The Truth About Cats & Dogs, could have become revolutionary but the mob connected uncle of the late Heather Chandler ran a series of bribes and threats to suppress the work. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:07 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:

:waiting:
:tiphat:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 06:38 AM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Quote:
I see you posted a reply by one of the jackoffs that I have on my ignore list.
Since almost every last person posting here is some sort of jackoff, the chances are high of that happening.
You see?

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 12-18-2023, 07:03 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Furthermore, Michael Lehmann's brilliant animal medicine documentary, The Truth About Cats & Dogs, could have become revolutionary but the mob connected uncle of the late Heather Chandler ran a series of bribes and threats to suppress the work. Why are people so opposed to the truth?

This one gets complicated and nested, because the "mob-connected" uncle is actually an innocent victum of circumstancial evidence. In fact, he wasn't the one behind the bribes and threats; it's usually assumed to be Wes Craven, who wanted to make sure that Scream (1996) was a success, and picked the most potentially-influential movie he was going to be competing against. But in fact, Wes had nothing to do with it, or at least, not directly; it was actually Freddy, who has been a huge fan of Wes's work for years and likes to try to support him by possibly-unethical means.

Anyway, switching topics: Many people will tell you that "Christmas lights" (US usage) are called "fairy lights" in the UK. Actually, they're completely different; Christmas lights were developed to make wrapping paper look more festive, while fairy lights were originally intended as hazard markers for fairy rings. They've never been necessary in the US, where endemic wendigo consume any fairies which show up. The US tries to conceal this, because they think that it would be bad for tourism. Why are people so opposed to the truth?
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-19-2023), JoeP (12-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You just demonstrated what he said.

Go haunt somebody elses thread.
Poor boy.
Never have figured out that once you start a thread, it's not yours. It goes out there and becomes the property of the whole fucking world, and anybody who contributes to it is an equal owner in the entire thread.

It's kinda like Communism, only with words.

Your analogy is a poor one. But that aside, that is how I wish all forums operated. Once you place a thread in some forum, you become part owner of that forum. If that were the case, I would have never been banned anywhere.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:26 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Ooooh, squatter rules, very Communist.:lol:

Old 12-18-2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bullshit. Tell me anything I said that you pointed out as being untrue. Tell me what thread it was in and what the post number of your reply was. Don't just say you did so. PROVE it.

Okay, so.

Given that you lied about it then, why would I expect anything different to happen this time?

Back in post #62 in your dumbass thread about retailers lying about shoplifting, I pointed out, repeatedly and in different ways, that you were even pointing out that you knew they had to be lying, and yet, you were also demanding that we accept their claims as true.

That's a pretty serious error, and every time you look at it, you get mad and run away and claim I'm stupid. You have never provided an actual response to the substance of the claim, and you can't.

That's my point. You can't actually engage at all, and your brain is telling you "there were stupid things, we don't need to think about them" and you're feeling smug about how smart you are that you're ignoring stupid things, but in the process you're missing the part where many of those things are actually pretty important corrections to mistakes you've made.

I did expect more lies from you. But not to that extent! I never did a thread about retailers lying about shoplifting. And if I chose to do so, I wouldn't say they were lying about it. Though I did do a thread where I brought the subject up about retailers closing some of their stores in certain locations due to shoplifting, swarm robberies, etc. It was called, "Yet another reason for sovereignty."
Old 12-18-2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This a game sub forum?

I did not even know that!
Continue to not know it. Because it is bullshit. And maybe if this joke forum had more accurate names for the various sections, there would be less confusion about it. What did people in the colosseum in ancient Rome do? Watch people fight it out. That is basically what is going on here. But doing so with words.

No, we're playing games and talking about games. (1) Read the threads. (2) It's right here:

Quote:
The Colosseum (4 Viewing)
We who are about to play salute you.

Note, "play". We're in "The Amphitheater", which is the fun social activity side of things; the debate/discussion stuff is generally over in "The Marketplace" [of ideas].

Your lack of reading comprehension is not a problem with the forum. We've had game threads going on in this forum for at least a decade, and we don't have trouble with the other users being unable to figure it out. I think it is actually literally just you.
You are at this forum. Are you at a forum or playing a game.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:09 AM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
You are at this forum. Are you at a forum or playing a game.
Um..., well..., Yes.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:27 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
I did expect more lies from you. But not to that extent! I never did a thread about retailers lying about shoplifting. And if I chose to do so, I wouldn't say they were lying about it. Though I did do a thread where I brought the subject up about retailers closing some of their stores in certain locations due to shoplifting, swarm robberies, etc. It was called, "Yet another reason for sovereignty."

I linked to the thread you just told more lies about in the post you were quoting. You did, in fact, say they were lying about it. You said, and I quote, "Though there is one statistic they give in it that I find impossible to believe."

So you knew they were lying, but used it anyway because it served your interests.

So, back to the game.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Forum gadfly

By far the most popular game online is "here's what you really meant, because I know more than you do, even about your own mind"

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 12-19-2023, 09:49 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
By far the most popular game online is "here's what you really meant, because I know more than you do, even about your own mind"
You do seem to enjoy that game.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:41 PM
Forum gadfly

Folks, we have a winner!

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 12-19-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I linked to the thread you just told more lies about in the post you were quoting. You did, in fact, say they were lying about it. You said, and I quote, "Though there is one statistic they give in it that I find impossible to believe."

So you knew they were lying, but used it anyway because it served your interests.

So, back to the game.

Don't you think it would be better to have any such discussion in the thread in question rather than here? I do. So in the future, if you have anything to say on the matter, do so in the right thread. As for here, I gave a link to a website in the other thread with a statistic that I found impossible to believe. Just because that website gave a statistic that I found impossible to believe, that doesn't mean retailers in general are lying about their reasons for closing stores. If any retailer wanted to close a store, they wouldn't make up such a reason for doing so. One example is K-Mart. Also, In my town, Target closed one of their stores. And I don't think it was because of theft. If some retailer closes a store and the reason they give is because of theft, that is probably why. And who are you to doubt it. They run their stores. And they are the ones who keep the books. They are the ones in the best position to say what is happening with their stores.

Last edited by disobey; 12-19-2023 at 11:04 PM.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum