Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 09-28-2023, 09:05 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

And, BTW, peacegirl, people here HAVE read the stuff you want them to read, and beyond. How the hell do you think we found out about the light and sight nonsense (you really need to take that out of the book) and the other stuff besides? I just reread the first couple of chapters the other night, for old time’s sake. Peacegirl, here’s a pro tip from someone who has designed and written and edited for both print and web: the type face you chose for the book is GHASTLY. I have no idea what font that is — and I have used hundred of fonts — but change it immediately. It is VERY hard to read, and reading on the web, as opposed to print, is difficult under the best of cirucumstances, especially for older people.

A good rule of thumb for print on the Web is to use a san-serif typeface. Verdana works very well for that purpose.

I worked as an editor for 18 years at the New York Times. Right now I’m doing freelance editing jobs, including a book for a photographer and another for an artist. If you want me to edit your book, PM me. Of course I charge a fee. :cash:
Old 09-28-2023, 09:08 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
It's such bullshit.
Indeed. Not in the ways or for the reasons you believe, but yes.

Quote:
The word sorry is not in your vocabulary.
I am very sorry you don't understand the Authentic Text.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 09-29-2023, 12:06 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin
Seymour also advised that all sexual conduct other than old-fashioned, down-home, country-style p-in-v intercourse with intent to procreate is "perversion," but - and this is very important - not in the derogatory sense.
He was writing in accordance with the times he was living. People used that word because they believed that anyone who deviated from the missionary position was a pervert. He was trying to show that using dirty words and all the rest would help keep marriages together. Why are you lying through your teeth?
It's disheartening, though unsurprising, to see that your comprehension of the Authentic Text is so spectacularly deficient. Of course, it is not for me to correct you. That thankless task falls to the True Steward of Seymour Lessans's intellectual legacy. He is likely at work1 right now, but will no doubt provide the necessary correction as time allows.

1In the virtually certain event you don't understand what that entails, please let me know and I will explain.
As always, Citizen Doctor, you expound the Authentic Text accurately and exquisitely. This goes to the heart of the Butt Stuff Injunction. It is why Harry fucked Mary in the ass, and equally why Harry fucked Mary in the ass no more forever. It is an integral thread of the great conceptual tapestry that unites the Butt Stuff Injunction, the Grass on the Field Axiom, and, to a lesser extent, the Surreptitious Aphrodisiac Theorem.

Of course, as the Authentic Text says: "When a girl accepts a date she is extending an invitation, and if she is not prepared to go all the way without contraception she had better not accept." (The wisdom here is amazing.)

Just as once Harry turned Mary around, we who interpret the Authentic Text step back to observe the whole tapestry, without blame from peacegirl.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin
Seymour also advised that all sexual conduct other than old-fashioned, down-home, country-style p-in-v intercourse with intent to procreate is "perversion," but - and this is very important - not in the derogatory sense.
He was writing in accordance with the times he was living. People used that word because they believed that anyone who deviated from the missionary position was a pervert. He was trying to show that using dirty words and all the rest would help keep marriages together. Why are you lying through your teeth?
It's disheartening, though unsurprising, to see that your comprehension of the Authentic Text is so spectacularly deficient. Of course, it is not for me to correct you. That thankless task falls to the True Steward of Seymour Lessans's intellectual legacy. He is likely at work1 right now, but will no doubt provide the necessary correction as time allows.

1In the virtually certain event you don't understand what that entails, please let me know and I will explain.
As always, Citizen Doctor, you expound the Authentic Text accurately and exquisitely. This goes to the heart of the Butt Stuff Injunction. It is why Harry fucked Mary in the ass, and equally why Harry fucked Mary in the ass no more forever. It is an integral thread of the great conceptual tapestry that unites the Butt Stuff Injunction, the Grass on the Field Axiom, and, to a lesser extent, the Surreptitious Aphrodisiac Theorem.

Of course, as the Authentic Text says: "When a girl accepts a date she is extending an invitation, and if she is not prepared to go all the way without contraception she had better not accept." (The wisdom here is amazing.)

Just as once Harry turned Mary around, we who interpret the Authentic Text step back to observe the whole tapestry, without blame from peacegirl.
The same old garbage. Nothing has changed so it’s time for me to go. Unfortunately, the time I spent here I’ll never get back. :(

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 09-29-2023, 12:30 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

So long, then, peacegirl. We do not need your blameful Corruptions here. Here, we interpret the Authentic Text as written by the Author and published in his lifetime.

Best of luck hawking your Corrupted Text in your pursuit of lucre. You will need it.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

It would probably be helpful to unsubscribe from this thread to avoid further activity notifications.

:AB: :canada:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:00 AM
Forum gadfly

This thread really delivered

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-29-2023, 05:50 PM
Spiffiest wanger

It’s a shame peacegirl is so stubborn and arrogant as to exclude herself from a whole rich tapestry of philosophical and aesthetic meaning — namely, The Authentic Text, under the wise stewardship of ChuckF, as opposed to the Corrupted Text, which she continues to try to hawk, unsuccessfully, for filthy lucre.

The Boohog Corollary, The Surreptitious Aphrodisiac Theorem, the Butt Stuff Injunction — who can forget how much we learned dissecting these gems in the secret, by-invitation-only forum?

Had peacegirl been humbler and more mature about her shortcomings, perhaps we would have invited her to join the secret forum. Alas, now it is too late. Her way to the door marked “Authentic Text” is blocked by a fiery dragon that even her father, with his dazzling rhetorical sword, could never slay.

For my money, the Allegory of the Ur-Penis remains paramount, surpassing even the parables of Jesus. What can be said about the rare genius who collapses similes (not to be confused with smilies :hand:) into their own referents? The synthesis of this Hegelian dialectic, the spawn of Lessans’ masterful thesis-antithesis cogitation, is the Ur-Penis, a new form of language which, as Heidegger did with Descartes and the Sophists in bypassing them and returning to the pre-Socratics, dismantles language as we know it and restores the primacy of thingness, of being and time.

The building was like a building — the Ur Building.

The bird flew like a bird — the Ur Bird.

The urn was like an urn — the Ur Urn.

And so on.

In rendering the simile superfluous, Lessans adroitly stood the cogito on its head. Once we said, I think, therefore I am. Now we say, I am, therefore I think about juicy, juicy cunt.

Thanks to all for the sublimely edifying exegesis in the by-invitation-only forum, which is — alas! — forever forbidden to peacegirl! :sadcheer:
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-29-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 06:13 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Tablet Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

This is all too esoteric for a simple technician such as myself.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:54 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Since that was surely the One True Final Goodbye, happy trails and fare thee well, peacegirl! If the 100% non-religious God someday graces you with the moral courage to open the door marked "ChuckF is the True Steward of the Authentic Text," we will be here for you.

In the meantime, don't work too har . . . oh wait, n/m.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 09-29-2023, 07:44 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Since that was surely the One True Final Goodbye, happy trails and fare thee well, peacegirl! If the 100% non-religious God someday graces you with the moral courage to open the door marked "ChuckF is the True Steward of the Authentic Text," we will be here for you.
Can you imagine noticing a potential new convert on this decrepit old thread and then discovering it's -FX-?

I can't even imagine the psychic pain that caused. He probably came in his pants at least twice.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 08:16 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
... Unfortunately, the time I spent here I’ll never get back. :(
What? Of course you can get it back, just apply for a reset the usual way.

Oh I forgot, you don't have access to the secret forums and thus the request page.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 09-29-2023, 11:09 PM
Forum gadfly

Music Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
..time means nothing if the discussion never gets beyond a certain point.
:yup:

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 10-13-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
..time means nothing if the discussion never gets beyond a certain point.
:yup:
FX, this is not an admission of failure. It’s to show the prejudice that exists in forums that already have their own agendas. I will not respond but I will give the link to the first three chapters as often as I can. It’s impossible for people interested in philosophy generally and peace specifically not to want to understand what this author had to say in spite of the crazy attacks against him.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-13-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:57 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I knew I was wrong to hope.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 10-24-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
And, BTW, peacegirl, people here HAVE read the stuff you want them to read, and beyond. How the hell do you think we found out about the light and sight nonsense (you really need to take that out of the book) and the other stuff besides? I just reread the first couple of chapters the other night, for old time’s sake. Peacegirl, here’s a pro tip from someone who has designed and written and edited for both print and web: the type face you chose for the book is GHASTLY. I have no idea what font that is — and I have used hundred of fonts — but change it immediately. It is VERY hard to read, and reading on the web, as opposed to print, is difficult under the best of cirucumstances, especially for older people.

A good rule of thumb for print on the Web is to use a san-serif typeface. Verdana works very well for that purpose.

I worked as an editor for 18 years at the New York Times. Right now I’m doing freelance editing jobs, including a book for a photographer and another for an artist. If you want me to edit your book, PM me. Of course I charge a fee. :cash:
I would never take his observation about the eyes out of the book when this knowledge, once understood, will eliminate the use of words that don’t symbolize reality and have caused much hurt.

As far as the font, any one I tried made the book much too long. It’s already 600 pages without a header. Do you think it’s so easy to change? It’s not. BTW, his other books were in a different font.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-24-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So, peacegirl, is this it, or not?
It's not. You understand some of it but you want to simplify it to such an extent that it looks ridiculous. No one would be excited to read a 6-sentence summary that took this author 30 years and 7 books to write. It doesn't work. Why is it so hard for people to read Chapter One and Two? You never read it in its entirety. No one has. It's nuts. I'm not even asking people to read chapter three, although I think it would peak their interest. And please speak for yourself when you say "we get it."
Whch part did I NOT undertstand, peacegirl?

Stop bullshitting yourself. EVERYTHIHG can be summarized in a few graphs, including the hardest stuff known to the minds of man, stuff like quantum mechanics, which Einstein among other broke his brain over. But after the summary, you explain that to fully understand the material, you have to read the book. This is how it is done. NOBODY understands quantum mechanics just by reading the summary of it, but the summary CAN help people prepare for what they are about to study. (Actually, nobody understands quantum mechanics AFTER studying it, either, but that’s another story.)

How many goddamn times over the last 20 years have people asked you to summarize the finding, including just the other day FX right here, and you produce NOTHING? And then everyone thinks you don’t understand the stuff yourself. Of course people think you are either a con artist or a loon.

If you don’t think the summary is good enough, work with me to refine it. I really am trying to help you, sincerely, because TBH, I do think sometines we were a little mean to you. Not that you don’t deserve it, lol, but even so, I am willing to put all that aside and help you craft a summary that you can work with. And always keep in mind, you tell people the summary is not enough to fully understand the work, you have to study the work itself.
Where is Chapter One that I posted yesterday (Oct. 23rd). I painstakingly copied and pasted it so that we could have an intelligent conversation. If the moderator (probably Chuck) deleted it, shame on him! Would someone enlighten me?

Old 10-24-2023, 06:42 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Where is Chapter One that I posted yesterday (Oct. 23rd). I painstakingly copied and pasted it so that we could have an intelligent conversation. If the moderator (probably Chuck) deleted it, shame on him! Would someone enlighten me?
:lol: peacegirl, if the molecules of light aren't already at your brain, I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Nonetheless, I will put in a ticket for someone to query the moderation log. We may need an :ff: sysadmin with root access to sort this one out.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-24-2023), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
:lol: peacegirl, if the molecules of light aren't already at your brain, I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Nonetheless, I will put in a ticket for someone to query the moderation log. We may need an :ff: sysadmin with root access to sort this one out.
Thanks

Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 08:06 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Chuck, have we queried the moderation log yet, or have all the many tickets to sort out problems gotten backlogged? I agree that a sysadmin might be needed to sort this one out. Alternatively, maybe booze-addled peacegirl will be arsed to recall that there are TWO fucking Revolution in Thought threads, and that she posted her wall of BS text in the OTHER THREAD. :yup:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-24-2023), JoeP (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks
I'll post it again if need be, but if it gets deleted, I suspect someone is doing it. Could it be Chuck? It wouldn't surprise me. :chin:

Old 10-24-2023, 08:15 PM
Spiffiest wanger

UM, peacegirl, see my post just above your latest demented offering. :wave:
Old 10-24-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Chuck, have we queried the moderation log yet, or have all the many tickets to sort out problems gotten backlogged? I agree that a sysadmin might be needed to sort this one out. Alternatively, maybe booze-addled peacegirl will be arsed to recall that there are TWO fucking Revolution in Thought threads, and that she posted her wall of BS text in the OTHER THREAD. :yup:
Oh wow, I forgot how many tomes there were. I assumed people would stick to Revolution in Thought Part 2. Geeze!!

Old 10-24-2023, 09:12 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Chuck, have we queried the moderation log yet, or have all the many tickets to sort out problems gotten backlogged? I agree that a sysadmin might be needed to sort this one out.
The :ff: helpdesk server encountered a kernel error when processing the ticket, but my :ff: Platinum Support SLA has guaranteed response times. I'm on hold with the call center right now. Current Crumb/JoeP wait times are longer than usual.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-24-2023), Sock Puppet (10-24-2023), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 09:32 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

But my thanks are always timely.
ChuckF (10-24-2023), JoeP (10-25-2023), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy