Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
There is no way light travels with an image...
Traveling images again? Seriously? :facepalm:
Absolutely!
You dishonest dingbat. You know traveling images is a ridiculous strawman, so if you don't mean it, stop saying it.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri View Post
Unfortunately, PG thinks that the camera is taking a picture of the object, not the light, in real time. Even though the photograph needs to receive photons from the object in order for a reaction to occur and produce an image and she has no explanation for how it gets there.
That's exactly what is happening; it just doesn't take 81/2 minutes. I know you don't see how...
You don't see how either. You have absolutely no idea how efferent vision could possibly work. That's why you keep finding yourself making up utter nonsense, such as your recent insanity about nanoseconds, candles, and the inverse square law.
Angakuk (07-25-2014), LadyShea (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Again, words can condition us regardless of how we see.
Not in the way he was describing. No matter how often a child is told how wonderful a certain musical genre is, if that child doesn't like it, he cannot be conditioned to like it, although he might listen to it if that's the in thing to do. No matter how often a child is told how delicious a certain food is, if he doesn't like it, he cannot become conditioned to like it although he could acquire a taste for it, which is not the same thing. No matter how often a child is told how wonderful a perfume smells, if he doesn't like it, he cannot become conditioned to like it, although his taste may change as he gets older. If a child hears over and over how beautiful this person is, and how ugly that person is, he will actually become conditioned to seeing this particular subset of features (and all those that come close to this artificial standard) as beautiful and the other subset of features as ugly, all because of words that are projected onto the screen of undeniable substance. This could not occur if the eyes were a sense organ. You never really took the time to study this chapter in depth.
Again, I have studied the chapter in depth. That's why I know it to be worthless nonsense. Nothing is literally projected out of the eyes onto reality. That was a metaphor, and so long as it is a metaphor rather than a literal projection, the actual mechanism of vision has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Is that why you don't even understand the two-sided equation, or why compatibilism is ridiculous unless you are trying to fake reconcile two positions that cannot be reconciled?
You are a liar and an idiot. You know I understand these topics better than you do. I just won't let you change the subject while you continue to weasel and refuse to answer questions.
LadyShea (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Spiffiest wanger

:catlady:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-25-2014), Artemis Entreri (07-24-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (07-25-2014), Dragar (07-25-2014), LadyShea (07-25-2014), Pan Narrans (07-25-2014), Spacemonkey (07-24-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely!
You dishonest dingbat. You know traveling images is a ridiculous strawman, so if you don't mean it, stop saying it.
Apologize or :wave:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Also, nice weasel changing the subject. Back to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
The fact that you actually think I'm saying that light travels to Earth in a nanosecond is hilarious.
That's what you keep saying, that light will be located on camera film in a nanosecond. The film is on Earth which is 93 million miles from the Sun. These are just facts.
Do you deny stating multiple times that in the Sun on at noon scenario, light would be located on camera film at 12:00 (plus a nanosecond)?

If you do deny it, then you are an easily proved liar

If you don't deny it, then why do you find it hilarious that we think you are saying what you actually said?
Obviously if the Sun is bright enough to be seen, which it would be if it was first turned on, we know that photons are traveling. You aren't going to have the Sun as bright as it is with no photons being emitted. Just think about that for a second before responding. We are not talking about distance such that if it's a nanosecond, then it will grow to two nanoseconds depending on space and time. This whole account is getting screwed up because of how its being analyzed..

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Also, nice weasel changing the subject. Back to the point.

Quote:
Quote:
The fact that you actually think I'm saying that light travels to Earth in a nanosecond is hilarious.
That's what you keep saying, that light will be located on camera film in a nanosecond. The film is on Earth which is 93 million miles from the Sun. These are just facts.
Do you deny stating multiple times that in the Sun on at noon scenario, light would be located on camera film at 12:00 (plus a nanosecond)?

If you do deny it, then you are an easily proved liar

If you don't deny it, then why do you find it hilarious that we think you are saying what you actually said?
Obviously if the Sun is bright enough to be seen, which it would be if it was first turned on, we know that photons are traveling. You aren't going to have the Sun as bright as it is with no photons being emitted. Just think about that for a second before responding. We are not talking about distance such that if it's a nanosecond, then it will grow to two nanoseconds depending on space and time. This whole account is getting screwed up because of how its being analyzed..
:lol:

You say such stupid, meaningless things that one just has to laugh. It's all the more amusing when you use phrases like "Just think about that for a second ..."

Thanks, from:
LadyShea (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
All he meant is that there is nothing in the light that can be used to develop an image in the brain. It was a metaphor but you're taking it literally.
You didn't call it a metaphor years ago, you took it very literally and argued for this ridiculous POV for years. Only now, when you've learned how wrong he was, have you decided it was a "metaphor". You are so dishonest.

Is this a form of back peddling? and is that something like moving the goal posts?

If this is a metaphor, what is the comparison, that I seem to have missed?
I'm using this post to address LadyShea. He knew that there was no actual image being carried on the waves of light, like a basket carrying apples. I can't believe you are accusing me of using the term "metaphor" when I learned how wrong he was. That is ludicrous. FYI, he was not wrong. :laugh:

Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I know all about these "proofs" of yours.

It boils down to which model is right, and then we go from there. You can't just assume these are right because they look that way, especially when there is an alternate model being proposed.

First of all, you have stated that you refuse to look at and consider anything that disproves your fathers book, so by your own admission, you know nothing about these proofs.

We assume that afferent vision is correct because of the over whelming amount of evidence that supports it, and we reject efferent vision because there is no evidence to support it and an overwhelming amount that disproves it.
There is evidence to support it, that's just it. He didn't pull this out of a hat. I have looked and considered this account, and I've also considered my father's account. It isn't fair to just ignore this very solid model of vision just because the evidence that the eyes are a sense organ looks overwhelming. It is still circumstantial which means it's not conclusive.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All he meant is that there is nothing in the light that can be used to develop an image in the brain. It was a metaphor but you're taking it literally.
You didn't call it a metaphor years ago, you took it very literally and argued for this ridiculous POV for years. Only now, when you've learned how wrong he was, have you decided it was a "metaphor". You are so dishonest.

Is this a form of back peddling? and is that something like moving the goal posts?

If this is a metaphor, what is the comparison, that I seem to have missed?
I'm using this post to address LadyShea. He knew that there was no actual image being carried on the waves of light, like a basket carrying apples. I can't believe you are accusing me of using the term "metaphor" when I learned how wrong he was. That is ludicrous. FYI, he was not wrong. :laugh:
You've been saying for more than three years that images literally travel on light. You're just a sicko. :lol:
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If he had listened to people who did not have the capacity to even understand what he was on to, this could have prevented him from continuing the arduous task of analysis that only he could do. He actually did state the important ideas in fewer than 100 pages. His last book was only 88 pages. But then he was told it was too simplified.

He was told by people, according to you, who didn't understand the ideas? and he took their advise? :eek: :doh:

If you are going to get someone to proofread a book for content, they must first understand the ideas presented. Many people can proofread for spelling and punctuation, if they are good at spelling and punctuation. My wife proofreads all the time and sometimes she doesn't understand the content, but that doesn't effect her ability to see spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure errors. If the people who read his books didn't understand the ideas, they were in no position to critique the content of the book. Unfortunately for you and Lessans there are people on this forum who understand the ideas he was trying to present, and can see the errors in his writing. The contributors on this thread could have corrected the errors in his book. :yup:
Um, the verdict is still out thedoc.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely!
Sorry dingbat.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
If no information is reflected, it is possible to see the object instantly while the light is still traveling because of the mirror image effect. This is just a mapping or projection of the photons onto the retina or film as we look at the object in real time, which does not take 81/2 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
This mapping of the photons onto the retina or film happens when those photons come into contact with the retina or film. To achieve that the photons have to travel to where the retina or film is located. This takes time because the photons travel at the speed of light. There is no "mirror effect" that would cause this to happen instantly. That is just something you made up.
That is true, but again by the time we would see the Sun the light would have traveled enough distance to where we would be in optical range on Earth. I am sticking by this statement.

Quote:
Quote:
People understand how difficult this concept obviously is, and I believe they are giving me credit for trying to explain how this works
Which people?
Quote:
People who are tuning in. I'm not talking about you or your cronies who think you have it all figured out.
1. How do you know that there are any such people?

IT'S AN EDUCATED GUESS.

2. If such people exist, how do you know what they are thinking?

I DON'T, BUT I HAVE EVERY REASON TO BELIEVE THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WOULD GIVE ME THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, WHICH THIS GROUP REFUSES TO DO.

Quote:
The whole scientific theory that has graduated into undeniable fact is far fetched, yet it has been accepted unquestionably because no one came along that could disprove it.
Quote:
True. No one has come along who could disprove it. That includes Lessans and yourself.
:not:

Quote:
Spacemonkey, let up okay? You have no idea how knowledgeable this man was...
Quote:
The only evidence we have regarding his knowledge is that which he provides in his book. That is all we have to go on. Based on what he wrote, his knowledge was sadly deficient in every subject he wrote about.
Not really. He showed exactly why he believed the eyes were not a sense organ and what observations made him come to this conclusion. He didn't get into detail regarding light because that is not where his finding originated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
We've been over this before -- what have we not been over before? :shrug: -- but there is a simple experiment that replicates by precise analogy Lessans' "turning on the sun at noon" scenario, and that is firing a laser at the moon. In essence, we "turn on a spot of light on the moon" (analogous to the sun being turned on) and determine how quickly we see it. This test has been conducted routinely since the 1960s.

If Lessans were right, we would see the light at time x. If science is right, we would see it at time y. Every time we do the experiment, we see the light at time y (science) and not at time x (Lessans).

Simple disproof of Lessans' claims, not open to contradiction. But just like so much else: moons of Jupiter, calculating trajectories to Mars, etc. This disproof is especially nice, though, because it is precisely analogous to the turn-on-the-sun scenario.
Quote:
Lasers emit coherent light, do they not? Coherence, of any sort, has no place in Lessans' or peacegirl's accounts.
As I said, 1 1/3 second is not enough time to blink let alone tell if we are seeing in real time or not. Am I on Candid Camera? :D

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Look at your above answers. You have said that the photons now at the film got there by traveling from the Sun at 11 million miles per minute, and began this journey by leaving the Sun only after it is ignited, and yet somehow complete this journey by arriving at the camera film less than 8min later. So I ask you again...

How can photons traveling at just over 11 million miles per minute cover a distance of 93 million miles in less than 8 minutes?
They can't...
Then you need to change your answers, because the answers you gave said that they can.

Quote:
I don't have to change my answers. I am perfectly content with the answers I gave because I don't believe they are contradictory.
You just rejected your own answers above, so you do need to answer them again. Here they are:

You need photons at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get to the film by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

Can they arrive at the camera film less than 8min after leaving their source?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If it's a lens that gathers light which is on photosensitive paper, we would get an image of the Sun (the object) before the light arrives 81/2 minutes later.
The ONLY thing a lens ever does is to change the direction of light passing through it. So a lens cannot do anything to produce an image of the Sun until light has had time to reach it from the Sun.
And it has in less than a nanosecond.
How? How does light get from the Sun to the lens on Earth in a nanosecond? If it does so by traveling then it is traveling faster than light. And if it doesn't travel then it isn't light.
I'm sorry but that's not what is happening. My father never said that...
No, but you did. Why did you say it if it isn't true and isn't what your father said? And given that your statement was wrong, I refer you back to what you were initially replying to when you made this wrong statement: The ONLY thing a lens ever does is to change the direction of light passing through it. So a lens cannot do anything to produce an image of the Sun until light has had time to reach it from the Sun.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
I'm not the one reverting back to traveling photons. YOU are. Whenever you answer my questions YOU tell ME that the photons at the film are traveling photons that got there by traveling there from the Sun.
I have always maintained that light travels...
Does that include the light you need at the film on Earth when the Sun is first ignited? Did that light travel from the Sun to get there? If so, how long did it take to complete the journey, and when did it leave the Sun? Try not to talk about completely different photons this time.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:monkey:

:catlady:
That's true Spacemonkey, but you just can't grasp the concept. What can I do? :chin:
:lol: How is it true? How can the same photons not be the same photons? What am I not getting that would make flat contradictions like this reasonable?
It's not reasonable only because you don't understand what I mean. That's why I said the image is not reflected, even though light is traveling. If that's true, then there is no contradiction.
If I don't understand what you mean, it's only because you aren't saying what you mean. But I know what your mind is doing even if you don't. You begin by saying that the photons I am asking about traveled from the Sun to get to the film, because that is the only conceivable answer. But then you switch to saying that these photons must be different photons because your answer would have them arriving 8min too late. Then you conveniently ignore the fact that this means you haven't answered the original question, due to these no longer being the photons you were asked about. Your response above is also nonsense, as there is no reflection of any image in the afferent account for your newly ignited Sun either.
Quote:
Quote:
But not if the image or information is not traveling LadyShea. That's the problem with the afferent viewpoint. It is believed that the image or information or raw material is in the light which is then transduced. The whole concocted story is not right.
You seem to be thinking of the information as some kind of secret code hidden away inside the traveling light. It isn't. The information is simply the known and measurable properties of the arriving light, i.e. direction, wavelength, and intensity. Arriving light is known to have these properties, and they are all that is needed to form an image.
Bump.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely!
Sorry dingbat.
Bye bye. :wave:

Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely!
Sorry dingbat.
You can fuck right off with your stupid threats. You flat out refused to answer me BEFORE I called you a dingbat, remember?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He even said light traveling on the wings of light. How can light have wings? :glare: It's obvious it was a metaphor.
Weasel, you argued that the standard model posited traveling images for YEARS. Wings of light was colorful language, as was "electric image", but the concept of whole images traveling on, in, or with the light was actually what he thought science advocated.
That is so not true! That's why he said a photograph could be transmitted through space/time to differentiate that no "image" in the light (metaphor) could be transmitted and received by the brain and turned into normal sight. He did not actually think images were carried by the light (which Spacemonkey also thought he was saying), but he didn't get into the technical aspect of discussing nonabsorbed photons. Doesn't matter. He knew what he was talking about. He just came in the back door, so to speak, which is the only way this discovery could have been made.

Quote:
By the way, was "projection through the eyes on a screen of undeniable substance" also a metaphor?
No, not at all. He said our eyes act like a projector. They don't project anything, but the word (the personal descriptor) is projected onto the screen of undeniable substance (meaning real objects like me and you). I thought you read this chapter.

p. 123 The brain is a very complex piece of machinery that not only acts
as a tape recorder through our ears and the other three senses, and a
camera through our eyes, but also, and this was never understood, as
a movie projector. As sense experiences become related or recorded,
they are projected, through the eyes, upon the screen of the objects
held in relation and photographed by the brain. Consequently, since
the eyes are the binoculars of the brain all words that are placed in
front of this telescope, words containing every conceivable kind of
relation, are projected as slides onto the screen of the outside world
and if these words do not accurately symbolize, as with five senses,
man will actually think he sees what has absolutely no existence; and
if words correctly describe then he will be made conscious of actual
differences and relations that exist externally but have no meaning for
those who do not know the words.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely!
Sorry dingbat.
You can fuck right off with your stupid threats. You flat out refused to answer me BEFORE I called you a dingbat, remember?
No I didn't, I said apologize. You shoot yourself in your own damn foot.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
By the way, was "projection through the eyes on a screen of undeniable substance" also a metaphor?
No, not at all. He said our eyes act like a projector. They don't project anything, but the word (the personal descriptor) is projected onto the screen of undeniable substance (meaning real objects like me and you). I thought you read this chapter.
So we can add the term 'metaphor' to the growing list of words you do not understand. If the eyes don't literally project anything then his talk of projection was obviously a metaphor, dingbat.
LadyShea (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It takes light to travel from the moon 1.3 seconds. How in the world can we know whether we see the moon in real time or not in that small amount of time. The time frame is too close together to get an accurate result.
As we've discussed before, the laser would take 1.3 seconds there and 1.3 seconds back so a total of 2.6 seconds. So, if the subjects consistently pressed a button when they saw the laser in under 2.6 seconds, that would indicate that they could see it before the light had time to travel there and back, correct? It doesn't need to be exactly precise, it merely needs to be under the 2.6 seconds consistently with multiple test subjects.

There are online reflex tests you can take where you press a button when you see something. I can do it consistently in under half a second (averaging around 1/4 a second) and don't have great reaction time. Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test There is easily enough time in the 2.6 second limit to press a button.
Right, but it would be very difficult to distinguish between seeing the moon in 1.3 seconds or seeing it 2.6 seconds later. It's about the eyes being able to see and register that quickly, not your reaction time pushing a button.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No I didn't...
Yes, you did. You stupid lying dingbat. What kind of completely inept moron threatens to ignore someone AFTER they have already announced that they will be ignoring them?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Right, but it would be very difficult to distinguish between seeing the moon in 1.3 seconds or seeing it 2.6 seconds later. It's about the eyes being able to see and register that quickly, not your reaction time pushing a button.
Hey, weasel, did you miss the post on ATOMIC CLOCKS and the link to the article about how they are used to time laser pulses off the moon? As I noted, they can tell time down to your favorite new chew-toy word: nanoseconds. Here, I'll bump the post for you. :yup:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Spiffiest wanger

:bump: for the :weasel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
It takes light to travel from the moon 1.3 seconds. How in the world can we know whether we see the moon in real time or not in that small amount of time. The time frame is too close together to get an accurate result.

Do you remember ANYTHING that is written to you?

We've been over this in some detail before, haven't we? So are you just dumb or being dishonest again? I suspect the latter. You haven't an honest bone in your body.

As explained to you before, to measure the round trip of light to moon and back, an ATOMIC CLOCK is used, which is accurate down to ... well, nanoseconds, your favorite new word that, like "inverse square law," you use without even understanding what it means.

Scientists bounce laser beams off old Soviet moon rover

From the article:

Quote:
Lunar laser ranging uses short-pulse lasers and state-of-the-art optical receivers and timing electronics to measure how long it takes light beamed from ground stations to travel to retroreflector arrays on the moon and back again.

It takes just two and a half seconds for light to make this roundtrip trek, requiring use of an ATOMIC CLOCK.
Of course, if Lessans were right, we'd see the laser light on the moon in half of 2.5 seconds, when the light arrives. But we see it in twice that interval of time, proving, yet again, that Lessans was WRONG.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So we can add the term 'metaphor' to the growing list of words you do not understand. If the eyes don't literally project anything then his talk of projection was obviously a metaphor, dingbat.
No it was not a metaphor because it is a projecting function of the brain. He explained this but it went right over your head. You are so full of yourself you have lost all objectivity. Face it Spacemonkey, you are blocked. You've gotten nasty to the point where I just can't have a normal conversation with you.

Two other natural laws are also revealed in later chapters. It is demonstrated that because we never understood a projecting function of the brain, words developed that allowed us to see, as on a screen, that half the human race is an inferior physiognomic production — homely, bad-looking, etc. But these words do not symbolize reality because people are not ugly or beautiful, just different, and when the truth is learned — the use of these words, and this kind of unjust, hurtful discrimination, must come to an end.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't call that a metaphor...
Exactly my point, dingbat! Learn to read!
LadyShea (07-25-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy