Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: How's the fucking weather where you are?

Still Octobril here. Although it got close to freezing at night for a bit so they threw salt around like crazy maniacs. Which made it look like it snowed...
SR71 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Yesterday it snowed about 2-1/2 inches, but completely melted by afternoon, and the schools were closed. This morning it is sleet and snow topped with freezing rain and the schools are open. Go figure.

Tomorrow: Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra.
Thursday: Colder than that. You will not find any naked brass monkeys out there. Snow.
Friday: Cold and snow.
Saturday: Cold and snow.
Sunday: Snow and cold.
Monday: warm enough to melt it all. Welcome to Oklahoma.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Rain, with added rain. Rain to follow. Apparently rain is a new thing here in Ireland, as there are floods everywhere. A man has made the news by posting a video of him swimming down a street in Cork. We are dealing with it the Traditional Irish Way: complaining that our politicians were not able to foretell the future and asking Europe for money to sort ot all out for us.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (02-05-2014), Dragar (02-05-2014), JoeP (02-04-2014), lisarea (02-04-2014), livius drusus (02-04-2014), Sock Puppet (02-04-2014), SR71 (02-06-2014), Watser? (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

We're getting another couple inches of snow on top of the few inches we got before, which is uncharacteristic. It usually melts in between snows so we don't end up with that grungy accumulated snow like you get up near Canadia. Ew.

But the main reason I am here to complain is that apparently, a bunch of people from Atlanta just moved out here, because I have been seeing an unusual amount of incompetence on the roads. It was one of those things where I had to check myself, and ask, "Is everyone else stupid, or is it me?" But nope. They were the ones fishtailing all over the place like fools.

And the other main reason I complain is that I had to go grocery shopping to go get stuff for my weekly dinner I have to cook for those people who come for dinner on Tuesdays, and when I got back, they'd cancelled because of the bad roads.

Ha ha. We are not even 100% finished with the accidentally gigantic batch of mulligatawny I made the other day, and now we're going to have a gigantic batch of this other stuff.

WEATHER!
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-05-2014), BrotherMan (02-04-2014), ImGod (02-05-2014), Janet (02-05-2014), LadyShea (02-05-2014), livius drusus (02-04-2014), SR71 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

5 inches of snow, -20 F wind chills, drifting snow, the neighbor kid is out there on a no school day blowing snow for his clients because he's a hardcore little bastard. The entire city is shut down and cancelled today, except for me... I have physical therapy and work.

So the family is tucked in bed and I'm finishing up my morning work routine, getting ready to go out and move a snow drift before my morning conference call. Then stretching for PT, getting my old man joints pounded on by some therapist, and then driving in to work.

Feels for me.
:violin:

PS Kansas City. :snow:
LadyShea (02-05-2014), lisarea (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Rain, with added rain. Rain to follow. Apparently rain is a new thing here in Ireland, as there are floods everywhere. A man has made the news by posting a video of him swimming down a street in Cork. We are dealing with it the Traditional Irish Way: complaining that our politicians were not able to foretell the future and asking Europe for money to sort ot all out for us.
Oxford had its January rainfall records broken last month.

Also, the forecast for this month appears to be rain. It rained all last night. It's raining now. It's supposed to rain tonight. I am wondering if I'll get to post more pictures of Oxford roads that look more like the Thames.
Janet (02-05-2014), JoeP (02-05-2014), LadyShea (02-05-2014), Vivisectus (02-05-2014), Watser? (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

8 more inches. Bleh. On the bright side, I get really good parking spaces when all the people who don't drive ridiculous unnecessary 4wd vehicles work from home.
Thanks, from:
ImGod (02-05-2014), SR71 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Six accidents on the main road to work today. Two 4wds (Jeep and Blazer) and a car pinballed off the concrete divider and got smooshed in separate single vehicle accidents. Two cars were stuck in the ditch, one really far down. I wouldn't have seen it except I followed the whirlie tracks in the snow down to it. And one exit ramp light pole knocked over, but the car/truck/SUV wasn't there. So either they were towed away or were able to drive off. About an accident every mile to mile and a half. Nothing overturned this time. Normally we get an all wheel drive SUV overturned on the side since they go too fast, slide off the road, and overturn in the ditch.

The main streets are good. The side business streets are snow packed and slick with 1 foot berms of snow at the ends from the plows. Turning is a challenge. You need to slow down not to slide but stay fast enough not to get stuck in the pile of snow left by the plows.

No plows through the neighborhoods yet, so as normal the hardest part is getting to the plowed roads a mile away.

Overall, not as bad as the rest of the country to the south and east of us.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Freezing rain this morning, with the ice building up the power blinked off twice while I was trying to write my last post. Just a bit frustrating when you have to start over.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

We have wind, boring cold dry wind. The ducks went to bed early yesterday.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Another three or more inches of snow. I have learned that this storm has a name and that name is Maximus. Which is a cool name that snow does not deserve. I am hoping my driveway and sidewalks will be cleared when I get home but they only did the drive on Sunday so who knows? :crossed:
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

It is too icy to walk Flossy this afternoon. I almost fell down a couple of times walking Buddy just a few yards before he gave up,* and she's a lot bigger, plus she still pulls every now and again, so I would almost definitely end up on the ground at least once.

I still feel guilty about it, though. She's a young, active dog, and she needs her walks.

* LOL, though, some guy in a car slowed down and looked at me really weird, and I didn't understand why until I got home and realized that it was -8F and I'd gone out with wet hair, so I was sort of mincing along, carrying an angry little dog, with my hair all frozen.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-06-2014), BrotherMan (02-06-2014), Crumb (02-06-2014), ImGod (02-06-2014), Janet (02-05-2014), JoeP (02-06-2014), Kyuss Apollo (02-05-2014), Sock Puppet (02-06-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-06-2014), Watser? (02-06-2014), Ymir's blood (02-11-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Heavy wet snow last night and this morning. Just finished getting it all off of the driveway and vehicles before it freezes solid tonite. My workout for today.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
It is too icy to walk Flossy this afternoon.
:cohnoes:

Quote:
I got home and realized that it was -8F and I'd gone out with wet hair, so I was sort of mincing along, carrying an angry little dog, with my hair all frozen.
:aww:
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-06-2014), JoeP (02-06-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-06-2014), Ymir's blood (02-11-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:19 AM
California Sober

:catlady:
BrotherMan (02-06-2014), Janet (02-06-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
..... that it was -8F and I'd gone out with wet hair, so I was sort of mincing along, carrying an angry little dog, with my hair all frozen.

I used to really hate frozen hair when I had long hair, I don't have that particular problem any more though. My hairs been falling out so I shaved it all off, I have curly hair and the Larry Fine of the 3 stooges look just wasn't cutting it for me.

do you have any idea how cold -25 is on a bare scalp? I get an instant headache if I go outside without a tuque on now.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Doge stuff
In the past, I cut our dog's hairs because having someone else do it is expensive and they're dogs. The hairscut I learned was on a certain breed of dog we had who is now gone, so when I cut hair our little white dogs always come out looking like some form of Schnauzer/Malteze mix having a bad hair day. I'm too lazy to figure out the proper Kennel Club Authorized haircut for our breeds.

In the AM, my wife took them in to get groomed by someone who knows how to make them look like their actual breeds. This morning at -2 F and cold ass wind chill warnings, the dogs were out and back inside in record time. Shaved of their fluff, I'm not sure they'll go out anymore and I'll be sleeping with dogs on top of me and my electrified blanket tonight for sure.

My daughters will probably pull out the dog sweaters and dress them up like little people. Which is weird to me, but I'll let them since it's so cold out.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
mincing along, carrying an angry little dog, with my hair all frozen
:aww:
Please adopt this custom user title, pea. Just for a bit.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-06-2014), Demimonde (02-07-2014), Janet (02-06-2014), lisarea (02-07-2014), Qingdai (02-07-2014), SR71 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

It snowed today, but not enough to close Contra's school district. Our local one shut down at noon though. It has been COLD, 18 degrees today, which our little house was not built for. My kingdom for a fireplace! Or an insulated crawlspace. Even with my fuzzy socks and giant bootie slippers with the rubber soles, the floor is so cold it zaps any and all heat from my feet in four steps.

I sent C out in the messiness to go pick up food at the Indian place that is way out of the way because I am evil. Vindaloo and tikka masala should warm me right up.
Janet (02-07-2014), JoeP (02-07-2014), lisarea (02-07-2014), Sock Puppet (02-10-2014), Ymir's blood (02-11-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

We did thai. It's snowing here Windy and 21º. Ducks and chickens have not left their heat lamp warmed coop all day.
Demimonde (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Crafty Agitator

Cold cold cold here. 3 degrees, but if feels like -16 with the wind.

:shiver:
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 AM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Low 20's and snowing all day.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:13 AM
A fellow sophisticate

For those unfortunates forced to walk on ice, I cannot recommend more highly a product called YakTrax, which slip on over boots or shoes and provide enough grip you can actually run on ice. Not recommended for use on ice skates.
Ymir's blood (02-11-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:15 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Zehava has it. Same here. First real accumulation of snow this winter; we have about three inches. It's the fricking frigid east wind that sux.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

2 people + Indian food + 1 commode with a frozen water line = :ohshi:
Adam (02-07-2014), BrotherMan (02-07-2014), curses (02-07-2014), Janet (02-07-2014), JoeP (02-07-2014), MonCapitan2002 (02-10-2014), Sock Puppet (02-10-2014), Watser? (02-07-2014), Zehava (02-07-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium