I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl

But what happens to the Sunlight? Does it peter out or does it travel forever even with no Sun emitting those photons?
Light travels until or unless it is absorbed. It cannot and does not "peter out".

Some light would interact with matter that absorbs it and cease being light, any light that this does not happen to will continue traveling.

There won't be any new light emitted since the Sun is off, however the light it had already emitted, and hadn't been absorbed by something, would still out there traveling.
This does not even make sense. If an object absorbs light, and the rest of the light travels until it strikes another object, how can that light be effective if it is not the full spectrum?
Of course it makes no sense when you don't understand what is being discussed at all.

Light, lots and lots of it, is traveling in all directions away from the source. Some of that light may intersect with matter that absorbs some of it, like a planet maybe, some won't intersect with any matter at all. There aren't light absorbing obstacles in every conceivable direction.

Quote:
What happens if the blue wavelength was absorbed by the last object?
If some of the light encounters matter that absorbs only the blue wavelength, then the other wavelengths will either be reflected or transmitted through (depending on the matter) and continue traveling. This is an immutable property of light that has been explained to you many times.

Quote:
What happens to the next object if it absorbs all but blue? How will the light allow us to see blue if there is no blue wavelength in the light?
Huh? What do you mean the next object? Not all of the light from the emission source is traveling in the same direction or encounters the same matter. It is not a laser beam.

Light that has encountered matter but was not absorbed will have been reflected or transmitted through.

Jupiter looks brown/red and Uranus looks blue, correct? Both are receiving white sunlight, but are reflecting different wavelengths.

If an object is not reflecting or emitting any light of any wavelength at all, we cannot see it. That's why we can't see black holes.

Last edited by LadyShea; 07-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You have stated that when we see something, photons are located at the retina. Spacemonkey is asking about the mechanism by which photons became located at the retina. Your whole last non-response is a big weasel.

You have said that light photons are located at the retina when someone sees the Sun.
Are photons located at the retina of a blind person who is facing the Sun but can't see it? If yes how did they get there. If no, why not?
Are photons located on the leaves a tree in that same sunlight? If yes how did they get there. If no, why not?
We're talking about the requirements for efferent vision.
No, we are talking about the location of light photons, based on your statements, and the mechanism by which they became located there.

Answer the questions please.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I think we can all agree that there are a few major stumbling blocks here:

1: You do not understand enough about optics to understand what it actually is you are disagreeing with. Because of this, you regularly argue against positions that no-one actually holds: your famous recurring travelling images are a good example of this.

2: Efferent vision is not really a theory: it is a conclusion. No-one, including you, knows how it works! Based on some (undisclosed) other ideas, the conclusion that sight must be efferent has been reached by you and your father, but as far as I can tell neither of you ever knew, or spent any time finding out, how it is supposed to work.

3: The reasons why this conclusion that sight is efferent was reached by you and your father has not been shared so far. We are simply expected to assume that there is a good reason to assume this is how sight works: the reason itself is not present in my version of the book.
It is my understanding that Lessans was working backwards from the idea that the brain was projecting words onto objects that were being seen. His objection was that these words were imparting meaning to those objects or persons that Lessans objected to, such as beautiful and educated. Lessans was neither and resented that others were. In order to project these words onto the 'undeniable substance' he needed to revive the idea of efferent vision where the brain is looking out and projecting these words onto the object or person.
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not going back to this discussion because you will think that this model is implausible coming from your software program, or your plug ins.
What the fuck are you even talking about? There is no software program. There are no plug ins. The only assumptions here are your own.

Quote:
You're just not finding the right key that will open the door.
You mean YOU can't find a way to explain your own impossible model.

:weasel:
Let's leave it at that, okay Spacemonkey? You won. You should be happy. :wink:
Why should I be happy that you're fake-conceding again?

What does it say about the plausibility of your account of vision that you can't answer even the simplest questions about it?

Why should I "leave it at that" when your account is still flatly contradictory yet you're still insisting that it's plausible?
Are you playing with me? How many crackpots claim stuff that is disregarded? Why are you still here?
We are still here because you are still here.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013), Spacemonkey (07-02-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
This does not even make sense. If an object absorbs light, and the rest of the light travels until it strikes another object, how can that light be effective if it is not the full spectrum? What happens if the blue wavelength was absorbed by the last object? What happens to the next object if it absorbs all but blue? How will the light allow us to see blue if there is no blue wavelength in the light?

You are correct, we would not be able to see the blue object if there were no blue light to be reflected. This has been tested and demonstrated, but you will need to search the internet for a video of the demonstration, or perhaps someone can find one and post it.

You ask how the light can be effective as if some deficiency of photons makes light incapable of functioning as light. But a red laser, which is composed of only photons that are of a frequency that corosponds to the color red, can function and produces a red spot when shown on an object.

A curious question comes up for someone to answer with an appropriate demonstration, if you shine a red laser on a red wall of just the right color, will you see the red spot. Assume that there is some other illumination in the room, I would assume that in a darkened room there will be a visible spot.

Did you miss this?

If one object reflects only blue light and that light then falls on an object that absorbs blue light, there would be no light reflected, and without other light being present, we would not see the object.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
This does not even make sense. If an object absorbs light, and the rest of the light travels until it strikes another object, how can that light be effective if it is not the full spectrum?
Quote:
What happens if the blue wavelength was absorbed by the last object?
Quote:
What happens to the next object if it absorbs all but blue? How will the light allow us to see blue if there is no blue wavelength in the light?

We would not see the next object, there is no light to reflect. This has been observed and tested in the real world and is consistant with the afferent model of vision. Before you critisize a body of knowledge you should first know what that body of knowledge is, ignorance is no excuse.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Are there photons located at the retina of a blind person?
Of course they are, but there is a problem with the eye. What's your point and how does this change anything I've said?
Where did the photons come from and how did they get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegiril
Quote:
You are still thinking of photons as copies of the object that are reflected and then travel through space/time
Quote:
What are you talking about? Nobody thinks that. That is your stupid misconception of the standard model. This is a strawman :strawman:
So what does it mean that photons travel, strike a light receptor, and bring the image of an object to the brain that is no longer in existence? Explain this your own words.
The light doesn't "bring the image of an object to the brain". This has been explained to you many, many, many times. You've stated you understand it many times. Obviously you don't.

Photons travel, strike a light receptor, and an image is created in the brain after processing the information received from the light. This information includes the light's intensity, angle, and wavelength.

Nothing is brought or carried, there is no traveling image, there is no "copy" :lol:. Just light.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The fact that objects behind it are affected is because light refracts. I never said it didn't.
Refraction is a function of light traveling, as is dispersion. So light travels from the object in efferent vision?
I never said light doesn't refract or disperse.
You've said it doesn't travel away from the object. Refraction and dispersion both happen to traveling light, only.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So tell me, how can the largest telescope ever gather enough light from a past event to ever get an image when that light has dispersed beyond the point of resolution?
Quote:
The light detector is what determines the point of resolution.

Some equipment, like the Hubble, can store the information from the gathered light, and continue exposure to gather more and more light from the exact same place, over long periods of time. It took 1 million minutes of light gathering, aimed at a specific pinpoint in space, for enough light to be gathered to create the Deep Field images.
Right now I'm talking about diffused light. How can that light ever be collected to form an image when the light is going in opposite directions away from the source?
Diffused light is radiated in all directions from the source, like from a star or a light bulb. A detector can then collect some of it. What do you mean "opposite directions" and why would that cause a problem in detecting the light?
Quote:
Exactly what I said. If reflected light is at an angle that is opposite of light that is going at opposite angles, how can this light ever be collected?
Quote:
What.The.Fuck. Reflected light at an angle opposite to light that is going at opposite angles? What does that even mean? It's complete gibberish
Quote:
Stop making this sound like gibberish, okay? If light is radiating in a straight line in every direction from the source, where will the light be millions of years from now, and how can that light be gathered to form an image, even if the light is being collected from the strongest telescope ever made?

Quote:
Stick a detector anywhere around the source and you can collect some of that light.
Quote:
A detector may be able to collect some of the light (theoretically), but how could it ever collect enough to form a recognizable image?
Quote:
It can't collect all of it nor does it need to. What the hell are you babbling about?
I'm just asking. Wouldn't that mean an image would not be recognizable? Can you recognize half a face? This is not a hologram. :(

Quote:
A partial image does not an image make.
What are you talking about partial images?

Quote:
The whole thing doesn't even make sense except for the fundies who want to believe it.
Quote:
Of course this incoherent shit you made up doesn't make any sense. Because YOU MADE IT UP! It is a strawman.

What you are talking about has zero to do with observed reality or my explanations of how light works.

It's a spiral galaxy from the Hubble Ultra Deep Space Image...so it is a small part of the larger image. Is that what you mean by partial or what exactly?

How in the world can you get just enough light to recognize what something is? What you're saying makes no sense.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Remember the egg fiasco? No one ate egg yokes for years until they said that eggs aren't the culprit. Now they are saying that egg yokes have important health benefits. Go figure. Now these reports that come out every so often are taken with a grain of salt, which they should be.
So it's OK to eat egg yokes now? Have you had bacon and eggs lately?
Yes, but nitrates are in the bacon so that's another no no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
A long time ago people didn't eat tomatos because they thought they were toxic, and the greens are, but the fruit is't. Trichinosis used to be a problem which lead to many cultures restricting the eating of ham and pork, but science has discovered the cause and the cure, so now everyone can eat the meat of the pig, if they just cook it completely.
Actually I don't remember the "Egg Fiasco" or did you just make that up?
You don't remember the announcement to stop eating egg yolks that scared the country half to death? Where were you? :glare:

Egg yolks almost as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, says study - NY Daily News

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So what does it mean that photons travel, strike a light receptor, and bring the image of an object to the brain that is no longer in existence? Explain this your own words.
No-one says the light brings an image, light strikes the retina and the retina signals the brain which receptor recieved which color of light and how much. From these signals the brain can intrepret the image of the object. The light may have been reflected from an object that is far away, and after the light leaves the surface of the object it travels independent of the object, and the object can disapear and we can still see the image of the object.
What happens if the light strikes another object before the light gets to us? Does that mean we will never see the object?

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No-one says the light brings an image, light strikes the retina and the retina signals the brain which receptor recieved which color of light and how much. From these signals the brain can intrepret the image of the object. The light may have been reflected from an object that is far away, and after the light leaves the surface of the object it travels independent of the object, and the object can disapear and we can still see the image of the object.
So what you are saying is if the Sun was turned off tomorrow, we would still have light because light travels independently of the Source? How long would this light last, 8 minutes, a year, a thousand years, forever?
Light doesn't come with a use-by date.
So what you are saying is that we would indefinitely receive light from the Sun even if the Sun burned out? Then why do scientists say that if something happened to the Sun, life on earth could not exist. Do you realize that you are contradicting science?

If The Sun Went Out, How Long Would Life On Earth Survive? | Popular Science

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So what you're saying is that if the Sun was turned off tomorrow, we would still have light because light travels independently of the Source? How long would this light last, 8 minutes, a year, a thousand years, forever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
So what you are saying is if the Sun was turned off tomorrow, we would still have light because light travels independently of the Source? How long would this light last, 8 minutes, a year, a thousand years, forever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Then why do scientists say that if something happened to the Sun, life on earth could not exist?

If the sun went dark how long would it be before earth knew

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Then why do scientists say that if something happened to the Sun, life on earth could not exist?

If the sun went dark how long would it be before earth knew
:eek:

You are just ... beyond belief.

Did you notice the linked answer agrees with science, agrees with what I told you in my last post before this one, and disagrees with Lessans?

As to your foolish question about what happens to the last light that reaches our eyes after the sun is turned off, this has been explained to you for ten years. It keeps going. That is why, when we here on earth learn that the sun has been turned off, eight minutes after this happens, anyone on Mars will still be seeing the sun. The last light will have to travel a ways farther to reach Martian eyes. If the sunlight is not absorbed, it could travel a billion light years, meaning people will be seeing the sun as it was billions of years in the past.

Unbelievable how dense you are.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013), LadyShea (07-02-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-02-2013), thedoc (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Remember the egg fiasco? No one ate egg yokes for years until they said that eggs aren't the culprit. Now they are saying that egg yokes have important health benefits. Go figure. Now these reports that come out every so often are taken with a grain of salt, which they should be.
So it's OK to eat egg yokes now? Have you had bacon and eggs lately?
Yes, but nitrates are in the bacon so that's another no no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
A long time ago people didn't eat tomatos because they thought they were toxic, and the greens are, but the fruit is't. Trichinosis used to be a problem which lead to many cultures restricting the eating of ham and pork, but science has discovered the cause and the cure, so now everyone can eat the meat of the pig, if they just cook it completely.
Actually I don't remember the "Egg Fiasco" or did you just make that up?
You don't remember the announcement to stop eating egg yolks that scared the country half to death? Where were you? :glare:

Egg yolks almost as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, says study - NY Daily News

Did you actually read the article and comments, or just the headline? It doesn't say what you think is said. How the body reacts to egg yokes, fat, and cholesterol in general varies with the individual. I have eaten eggs all my life but have cut down lately, I always eat the fattiest part of the meat especially red meat, butter on almost everything, and lots of cheese. By all accounts of the "Health Experts" my arteries and veins should be clogged with Cholesterol, but they are clear, they were checked only a few years ago with a catheter inserted up to my heart. Some time later my cardiologist took several biopsies to find out what was happening, no plaque was found. BTW my blood pressure is normally below normal, but with my heart medications it is now even lower, sometimes I can feel the effect, but apparently it's not low enough to be a problem. Perhaps a few people that you knew were scared over this report, but I would guess that most ignored it. It certainly didn't make the news around here.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
How in the world can you get just enough light to recognize what something is? What you're saying makes no sense.

That is because you don't have the slightest understanding of what is stated in the standard model of vision, you only have the nonsense that Lessans was writing in the book, which was mostly wrong.
Angakuk (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Spiffiest wanger

To be precise -- though only peacegirl could possibly be confused by my explanation -- the minuscule fraction of the light that the sun gives off that reaches our eyes won't travel on. It's all the rest of it, the staggeringly vast number of photons that do not meet our eyes, that will travel on. Peacegirl seems to have the wacko idea that in order to see an object, we must see every single photon that it gives off, or reflects. More of her incredible clueless craziness.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013), LadyShea (07-02-2013), thedoc (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What happens if the light strikes another object before the light gets to us? Does that mean we will never see the object?

If the light strikes another object it can be absorbed or reflected, and if reflected it could still travel to our eyes.

Do you seriously expect me to believe that you can't understand this or figure it out for yourself? The question just seems very dishonest.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So what you are saying is that we would indefinitely receive light from the Sun even if the Sun burned out? Then why do scientists say that if something happened to the Sun, life on earth could not exist. Do you realize that you are contradicting science?

That is not what is being said, on the Earth we would still receive Sunlight for about 8.5 minutes, then the Sun would appear to go out. But the Sunlight that did not strike the Earth or another object in the Solar system would continue to travel beyond the Solar system till it strikes another object no matter how long it takes, and the Sunlight that does not strike any object will continue forever, or till the end of the Universe, whichever comes first.
Angakuk (07-02-2013), LadyShea (07-02-2013), Spacemonkey (07-02-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
puzzler

Quote:
If the light would have reached us but it was prevented from doing so because it struck the other object first, then the technical description of what has happened is that one object is behind the other one.

I realize that these technical terms can be confusing, so you probably need to carefully think about it for a while and maybe draw a diagram in order to achieve a proper understanding.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Did you actually read the article and the comments?

I'm glad the writer referenced someone at Cal Tech otherwise I don't give a lot of credit to 'Popular Science' as a source.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:

:awesome:

Every time I think you could not be denser, you just reach deep inside yourself and find a new level of imbecility. I did not think it could be done, but you have managed it. Well done! :golfclap:

Would you like a chance to review what people are actually saying, or will we just admit that we were aiming too high when we tried to explain this at junior-high level physics and try, I dunno, projects involving maceroni stuck to cardboard?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013), ChristinaM (07-03-2013), LadyShea (07-02-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So tell me, how can the largest telescope ever gather enough light from a past event to ever get an image when that light has dispersed beyond the point of resolution?
Quote:
The light detector is what determines the point of resolution.

Some equipment, like the Hubble, can store the information from the gathered light, and continue exposure to gather more and more light from the exact same place, over long periods of time. It took 1 million minutes of light gathering, aimed at a specific pinpoint in space, for enough light to be gathered to create the Deep Field images.
Right now I'm talking about diffused light. How can that light ever be collected to form an image when the light is going in opposite directions away from the source?
Diffused light is radiated in all directions from the source, like from a star or a light bulb. A detector can then collect some of it. What do you mean "opposite directions" and why would that cause a problem in detecting the light?
Quote:
Exactly what I said. If reflected light is at an angle that is opposite of light that is going at opposite angles, how can this light ever be collected?
Quote:
What.The.Fuck. Reflected light at an angle opposite to light that is going at opposite angles? What does that even mean? It's complete gibberish
Quote:
Stop making this sound like gibberish, okay? If light is radiating in a straight line in every direction from the source, where will the light be millions of years from now, and how can that light be gathered to form an image, even if the light is being collected from the strongest telescope ever made?

Quote:
Stick a detector anywhere around the source and you can collect some of that light.
Quote:
A detector may be able to collect some of the light (theoretically), but how could it ever collect enough to form a recognizable image?
Quote:
It can't collect all of it nor does it need to. What the hell are you babbling about?
I'm just asking. Wouldn't that mean an image would not be recognizable? Can you recognize half a face? This is not a hologram. :(

Quote:
A partial image does not an image make.
What are you talking about partial images?

Quote:
The whole thing doesn't even make sense except for the fundies who want to believe it.
Quote:
Of course this incoherent shit you made up doesn't make any sense. Because YOU MADE IT UP! It is a strawman.

What you are talking about has zero to do with observed reality or my explanations of how light works.

It's a spiral galaxy from the Hubble Ultra Deep Space Image...so it is a small part of the larger image. Is that what you mean by partial or what exactly?

You are making no sense. Your questions are nonsense. Do you think there is only a tiny amount of light out there or what?

Our Sun produces the equivalent energy to a trillion one megaton bombs EVERY SECOND. That energy is emitted as light. That is an enormous amount of light it has put out over how ever many millions years it has existed. It is not the only star, nor is it the largest star. There are and have been trillions of stars, and all that light is traveling through the Universe! All we have to do is stick a light detector out there to catch some of it.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
:awesome:

Think, now. Think hard. If we shine a small flashlight on the other side of a wall, can you see it? Does our side of the wall light up?

Comd to think of it, why can I not shine light on the inside of a box and make it appear in a dark room? There is light at the object, isn't there? Should that not work to make it visible in efferent vision?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-02-2013), LadyShea (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So what you are saying is that we would indefinitely receive light from the Sun even if the Sun burned out?
"We" as in Earthlings? Of course not. We would only receive the Sun's light for 8.5 minutes.

Quote:
If light is radiating in a straight line in every direction from the source, where will the light be millions of years from now
Most of it will be millions of light years away. Some of it will encounter matter and be transformed to some other kind of energy.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy