Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post

This is just as bad. There are bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch, but it still doesn't change the fact that thousands of people are hurt by drugs and surgery every year by the medical profession. They don't get their licenses removed. I wonder why.
Even worse: every year, thousands of people are killed by falling of of bed. And yet bed makers remain in business! I wonder why?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:

This is just as bad. There are bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch, but it still doesn't change the fact that thousands of people are hurt by drugs and surgery every year by the medical profession. They don't get their licenses removed. I wonder why.
Even worse: every year, thousands of people are killed by falling of of bed. And yet bed makers remain in business! I wonder why?
Falling out of bed is not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Dying of a complication from a drug that was purported to be safe IS the manufacter's responsibility. Who said anything about going out of business? Pharmaceutical companies are big business. The truth is when money is involved, researchers may cut corners by skewing the results in their favor, or by approving the drug too soon where the patient becomes the guinea pig. And the weird thing is they do the opposite for people who have nothing to lose since they are dying; they prevent a person from choosing to try an experimental drug as a last resort. Go figure.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Also note the claim that there are 2.2 million hospital patients suffering from Adverse Drug reactions. As it turns out, the Nutrition Institute of America is 2 people and a facebook page: their supposed report has not been peer-reviewed, or even published, as far as I can tell. So we can assume that people who read this kind of stuff do not look too deeply into claims.
Nutrition Institute of America, Inc
Quote:
Selected Entity Name: NUTRITION INSTITUTE OF AMERICA INC.
Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: NUTRITION INSTITUTE OF AMERICA INC.
DOS ID #: 234115
Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 14, 1973
County: NEW YORK
Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
Entity Type: DOMESTIC NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION
Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
NONE
Registered Agent
GARY NULL
2307 BROADWAY
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10024
Gary Null sells nutritional supplements Home | Gary Null Power Foods

LOL, I am sure his "report" was not profit motivated at all
Everyone has to make money LadyShea. So for you to begrudge these people and make the accusation that this is their only motive isn't fair and just shows how biased you really are.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
God is an epiphenomenon, an intelligence that we can only see through our observance of the laws of nature. To believe this universe came about by accident is so remote that it isn't even worth talking about. I am not referring to a Being LadyShea. This intelligence that is behind everything that exists is difficult to conceptualize, but it's the only way to come to terms with the magnificence of creation and all that supports it.
No, it's not the only way to come to terms with anything at all. You are positing a faith or religious position. You are absolutely referring to a Being if you are saying that there is "something alongside" or "behind" the Universe.
No, the laws are what Lessans called God, or this amazing mathematical power. You can deny that laws can't be intelligent. I'm not interested in arguing about this. I get comfort in personalizing the word "God." You can tell me it's a religious position. This world is so amazing (especially knowing that this law of our nature is going to deliver us from all evil), that you can't help but be in awe. That's my worldview. It's personal so you don't have to attack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
There is no chance involved, no accident, those are human concepts because our minds want us to know why. Any epiphenomena is simply the human mind, trying to make sense of things. The Universe is, that's the starting point, there is no before.
The manifestation of God is a secondary phenomenon. When the Golden Age commences, he is using a metaphor that God (this amazing mathamatical power) is the light that is revealed as the evil is burned away. It's not just his way of making sense of the world, as you seem to be implying.

An epiphenomenon (plural - epiphenomena) is a secondary phenomenon that occurs alongside or in parallel to a primary phenomenon.

Epiphenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
That's because the image (or pattern) does not get reflected and travel Spacemonkey. You are ignoring his claim.
And with good reason, Lessans claims were nonsense with no proof or foundation at all. Everyone has good reason to ignore his claims. Fictional claims from someones wild imagination should be ignored.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Kind of like how all the evidence that the eyes are sense organs is part of a vast conspiracy by the scientific "establishment," eh?
Lessans never thought that, or said that. He wasn't delusional.

p. 126 The belief in five senses made
it possible to imagine light waves hitting an object and then reflecting
an image to the eyes — for this appears logical.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Intermission: I think you'll all enjoy the slide show that is set to this music.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Falling out of bed is not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Dying of a complication from a drug that was purported to be safe IS the manufacter's responsibility.
Not necessarily. Some people have adverse reactions to drugs that most others have no problem with due to allergies, or interactions with other drugs, or genetic factors. Often these individual reactions cannot be predicted. Some people take their medications incorrectly or not as prescribed, some abuse them. Each individual case must be looked at and any emerging patterns analyzed to see if it is the drug itself.

Quote:
Who said anything about going out of business? Pharmaceutical companies are big business. The truth is when money is involved, researchers may cut corners by skewing the results in their favor, or by approving the drug too soon where the patient becomes the guinea pig. And the weird thing is they do the opposite for people who have nothing to lose since they are dying; they prevent a person from choosing to try an experimental drug as a last resort. Go figure.
Experimental drug trials are open to those who meet the criteria for that trial. Do you want drugs tested or don't you?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Also note the claim that there are 2.2 million hospital patients suffering from Adverse Drug reactions. As it turns out, the Nutrition Institute of America is 2 people and a facebook page: their supposed report has not been peer-reviewed, or even published, as far as I can tell. So we can assume that people who read this kind of stuff do not look too deeply into claims.
Nutrition Institute of America, Inc
Quote:
Selected Entity Name: NUTRITION INSTITUTE OF AMERICA INC.
Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: NUTRITION INSTITUTE OF AMERICA INC.
DOS ID #: 234115
Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 14, 1973
County: NEW YORK
Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
Entity Type: DOMESTIC NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION
Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
NONE
Registered Agent
GARY NULL
2307 BROADWAY
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10024
Gary Null sells nutritional supplements Home | Gary Null Power Foods

LOL, I am sure his "report" was not profit motivated at all
Everyone has to make money LadyShea. So for you to begrudge these people and make the accusation that this is their only motive isn't fair and just shows how biased you really are.
I am not begrudging them making money, I am saying that there is a conflict of interest in this case. The person doing the study/report had a financial incentive for the results and conclusions to read a certain way.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Falling out of bed is not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Dying of a complication from a drug that was purported to be safe IS the manufacter's responsibility.
Quote:
Not necessarily. Some people have adverse reactions to drugs that most others have no problem with due to allergies, or interactions with other drugs, or genetic factors. Often these individual reactions cannot be predicted. Some people take their medications incorrectly or not as prescribed, some abuse them. Each individual case must be looked at and any emerging patterns analyzed to see if it is the drug itself.
I'm not talking about the misuse of a drug. That would be the person's responsibility. I'm talking about the responsibility of the pharmaceutical industry that puts out drugs on the market that they know have potential problems or that they don't know enough about. It is true that anyone can have an adverse reaction, and this they have to take into account. I'm talking about a drug that they claim is safe which then injures or kills thousands of people. How can anyone trust these individuals when they say a drug is safe and effective?
Quote:
Who said anything about going out of business? Pharmaceutical companies are big business. The truth is when money is involved, researchers may cut corners by skewing the results in their favor, or by approving the drug too soon where the patient becomes the guinea pig. And the weird thing is they do the opposite for people who have nothing to lose since they are dying; they prevent a person from choosing to try an experimental drug as a last resort. Go figure.
Quote:
Experimental drug trials are open to those who meet the criteria for that trial. Do you want drugs tested or don't you?
I've read that drugs are often withheld because they haven't gone through enough testing (how ironic), giving the dying person no hope for a cure or a remission.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-04-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 AM

This little pooch is another Minnesota Fats. :D

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the responsibility of the pharmaceutical industry that puts out drugs on the market that they know have potential problems or that they don't know enough about.
Do you have any specific examples? Most drugs on the market are safely taken by many times more people than are harmed by the same drug. So you need to be specific.

Quote:
I've read that drugs are often withheld because they haven't gone through enough testing (how ironic), giving the dying person no hope for a cure or for a remission.
Trials are trials for a reason, they have to test the drugs. Not everyone is a good candidate for every trial.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking about the responsibility of the pharmaceutical industry that puts out drugs on the market that they know have potential problems or that they don't know enough about.
Do you have any specific examples? Most drugs on the market are safely taken by many times more people than are harmed by the same drug. So you need to be specific.
Celebrex caused heart attacks and it's still on the market. Go to: Drug Injury Watch

Quote:
I've read that drugs are often withheld because they haven't gone through enough testing (how ironic), giving the dying person no hope for a cure or for a remission.
Quote:
Trials are trials for a reason, they have to test the drugs. Not everyone is a good candidate for every trial.
The reality, even after testing is done, is that nobody can possibly predict the longterm effects of a drug or combination of drugs on a human body, which is why in the new world people will be free to ingest anything they want, but the doctor will never tell them it's safe because they would not want to assume this responsibility. They will tell their patients everything they know about the drug and what symptoms it alleviates, as well as where they can buy it, but they won't prescribe it.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Adverse Drug Events are a serious problem, especially since modern medicine has humans living longer than ever before, so age related problems are more common. The CDC monitors and tracks them. There are risks and people should, and do, weigh the risk vs. benefit of medications.

CDC - Adults and Older Adult Adverse Drug Events - Medication Safety Program
They didn't track this very well.

The CDC paid the Institute of Medicine to conduct a new study to whitewash the risks of thimerosal, ordering researchers to "rule out" the chemical's link to autism. What kind of protection is this?

Deadly Immunity

There's more to that story
, that was one man's take on the topic. I don't know how authoritative it is. I will read up on the topic and his report further later on.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM

I wonder if this dog recognized his master on Skype? I'd love to find out because that would give us relevant info.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM

How would you know, for sure, if a dog recognized his master on Skype?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
The reality, even after testing is done, is that nobody can possibly predict the longterm effects of a drug or combination of drugs on a human body, which is why in the new world people will be free to ingest anything they want, but the doctor will never tell them it's safe because they would not want to assume this responsibility.
I have never had any doctor tell me that any treatment, medication or vaccination is risk free. Not once in 43 years. They've never said that any treatments or medications prescribed for my son are risk free.

What has happened, is that they have gone over my history and family history and tried to find the best medication for me.

Just this week I had a severe allergic reaction to insect bites. I had never had any such reaction like that at all before. The urgent care doctor carefully went over all meds I had taken in the past and asked about any reactions and side effects, and went over all my medical history, then gave me a couple of options before we agreed, together, on the treatment I was most comfortable with. This was a walk in clinic, not my regular doctor.

So who exactly are these doctors you think just prescribe things without any thought whatsoever and lie to their patients about their risks? I have never met these horrible people practicing medicine that you seem to think are rampant.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Celebrex caused heart attacks and it's still on the market.
Did you read the actual studies and analyze the numbers and factors? I have. There is an increased risk of cardiovascular problems in some people, yes. But that's a far cry from "it causes heart attacks" which is way too large a brush to paint that increased risk with. As I already said, most drugs on the market are safely taken by many times more people than are harmed by the same drug. This is true of Celebrex and even Vioxx which was removed.

Additionally nobody ever has said that Celebrex or any drug is completely safe and risk free for all people.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Adverse Drug Events are a serious problem, especially since modern medicine has humans living longer than ever before, so age related problems are more common. The CDC monitors and tracks them. There are risks and people should, and do, weigh the risk vs. benefit of medications.

CDC - Adults and Older Adult Adverse Drug Events - Medication Safety Program
They didn't track this very well.

The CDC paid the Institute of Medicine to conduct a new study to whitewash the risks of thimerosal, ordering researchers to "rule out" the chemical's link to autism. What kind of protection is this?

Deadly Immunity

There's more to that story
, that was one man's take on the topic. I don't know how authoritative it is. I will read up on the topic and his report further later on.

Okay, that was from 2005. The entire study that the thimerosol/autism link was based on was retracted completely in 2010 because Andrew Wakefield was found to have been an unethical researcher. The CDC and other authorities had instituted reduction measures as a precaution, even without corroborating research. So, they didn't fail in their tracking, there was no actual correlation ever found, except in the one very flawed study.

Quote:
Thimerosal--Does it cause Autism or Aspergers?

The most well-known study of the link between thimerosal and Autism was published by Andrew Wakefield and several other authors in 1998 in The Lancet.

The Lancet is one of the world's best known and most respected peer-reviewed medical journals. No one would expect that a respected journal would publish research that was not ethically conducted. But that's what happened.

The Lancet published a partial retraction of the study because Wakefield had conflicts of interest. In February 2010, The Lancet published a complete retraction when Wakefield's research was found to be unethical. It was found to be unethical because he made changes without the knowledge of the other researchers involved in the study.

But long before the 2010 retraction,

the Public Health Service,
the National Institutes of Health,
the Center for Disease Control (the CDC),
the Health Resources and Services Administration, and
the American Academy of Pediatrics

urged vaccine manufacturers to reduce or eliminate thimerosal in vaccines as a precautionary measure. And they did. In addition, they asked for and received more studies of the possible links between thimerosal and Autism, but no link was found.

So when your pediatrician tells you that there's no link between mercury in vaccines and regressive Autism, it's because Wakefield's study that linked thimerosal to Autism has been debunked.
We had a thread on this that has many links to research done after 2005
http://www.freethought-forum.com/for...ghlight=autism
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 AM
puzzler

We have outbreaks of measles now in several parts of the UK: at least one person has died of the disease. This is due to not enough children being immunized with the MMR jab a few years ago because of the scare caused by the crook, Wakefield, and his wrong allegation of a link between MMR and autism. There are special emergency clinics now with long queues of teenagers and young adults keen to get the protective jabs they need - and would have received already, free of charge, were it not for Wakefield.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
I know you don't. Because you've payed no attention at all to the problem. On your account the photons at the retina could not have been located at the Sun because there is no time at which they could have been located there. The photons cannot be located at the Sun at the very same time that these very same photons are also at the retina, and they cannot have been at the Sun before this time because the Sun was not ignited before then. Your claim that there will be photons instantaneously at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited is inconsistent with your claim that they came from the Sun.
That's because the image (or pattern) does not get reflected and travel Spacemonkey. You are ignoring his claim.
You are again ignoring the problem, which has nothing at all to do with reflected or traveling images. I didn't mention images at all. The problem has only to do with your impossible claims about where light can be at different points in time. If the light is instantly at the retina as soon as the newly ignited Sun ignites, then this light cannot possibly have come from the Sun.

Quote:
You will not allow yourself to accept that he was right [even temporarily] so that you can move forward. That's why you'll never understand this work. You have cotton in your ears.
You are again asking me to share your faith. That isn't how this works. If you have no evidence for his claims then you lose. You don't get to ask us to pretend he had support for things he never bothered to support.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
This isn't what I'm asking you to support. I was asking about the alleged innate potential perfection of conscience, and you've answered instead with the reasoning which relies upon it. I know you don't know what else to say. That's because you don't have any supporting evidence for Lessans' assumption, and lack the objectivity to recognize this assumption for what it is.
I'm tired of you saying this. There were no presuppositions. You can't accept that he observed how conscience works and it's correct. But in order for these principles to work the environment has to change in order to remove the hurt done to others so that they won't have the justification to hurt in return.
Any premise in his argument, for which neither you or he has supporting evidence, is a presupposition. It is a presupposition that conscience has some innate potential perfection that it would achieve in the absence of blame. It is a presupposition because his arguments require this to be true, and yet he did not argue for or support this claim in any way. Unlike you, I will not just accept that his claims or 'observations' are correct because he said so. You need to be able to support them if you expect anyone to believe them.

Quote:
He described many things accurately. One of them is that we can only see this world through our very own consciousness. This can be observed and it doesn't need any other support.
That's just another faith claim to say that he observed many things accurately. Rational people use evidence to determine which observations are accurate and which are not. But you have no evidence. You have only faith. And I see you are once again attempting to base an argument upon a tautology.

Quote:
You got that right. And that's why there's no point in sending you the book. You even said it will not be accepted by the universities because it doesn't meet the epistemic standards to even consider it plausible. I'll find my own readers, but thanks for offering to help even if it was insincere.
You've now flip-flopped on sending me the book even more times than you flip-flopped on whether the light at the film traveled to get there. Where did I say anything about universities rejecting the book? Did you just make that up? If you really can't afford to send me a copy then just say so. Stop making up all these bogus excuses for backing out of your agreement.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I cannot see this world through anybody's consciousness but my own. That doesn't mean other people aren't conscious of the world. It only means I cannot see this world through their consciousness. This is not an inherent concept that is circular; this is an observation and a correct one at that.
Also, I bet your daddy could beat up my daddy! :)

But in all seriousness, that last statement bears examination. You have to start by defining your terms: in this case, what do you mean by consciousness? How do you define it?

If you define it as that which allows us to be aware of ourself and the world around us, then the statement "we can only see through our own consciousness" becomes a bit of a truism: that is what we have just defined it to mean! It is like saying "There is something through which all our experience flows. If we experience anything, then that experience is ours, and it has gone through it, and not through that through which someone elses experiences flow". In short, it is like saying "red mountains are not blue".

You can also define it as the act of awareness of ourself and our surroundings. But that does not solve the problem.

Do you have a definition of consciousness that makes the statement "We can only see the world through our own consciousness and not through someone else's" not trivially true?
I have been giving some thought to this consciousness question as well. It seems to me that whenever we read a book, watch a movie, look at a piece of art, listen to music, etc. we are experiencing/seeing the world as interpreted/mediated through someone else's consciousness.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The only difference is that there is no proof that Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster actually exist. You are, one again, making it appear that Lessans' claims have nothing to do with a real world observation, which is not true.
That is not a difference, it is an equivalence.

Quote:
This was an accurate observation. I understand the dilemma, but you cannot put everyone's observations in the same basket because nothing that they are claiming to be true has proven to actually exist. All they have are a bunch of theories and conjectures.
Exactly like Lessans.

Quote:
Appalling is a strong word, and not everyone feels the same way as you do.
Name one person, other than yourself, who does not feel the same way that TLR feels about the appalling quality of the book.

Quote:
There is innate potential perfection if a person's conscience is intact. If it is not, he may not be able to be controlled by this law in which case he would be taken off the streets just like a mad dog would be taken off the streets. There are no assumptions when he shows how conscience works under considitions that don't allow him to justify his actions, which is required by conscience itself.
He doesn't, and can't, show how conscience works under those changed conditions because those conditions don't exist. What he does is speculate about how conscience might work under those changed conditions.

Quote:
Thank goodness there are other types out there (call them woos if you want, I don't care) who will listen to his words and recognize their veracity.
Keep saying that and maybe you will convince yourself that it is true.
That's not true Angakuk. Is it possible not do what has already been done? This observation does not need evidentiary support because it's self-evident. You can argue that we can go back in time and undo what has already been done, but there's no proof that this can be done.
What in the world are you talking about? Did I say anything about time travel or undoing that which has already been done? I am pretty sure that I did not.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I cannot see this world through anybody's consciousness but my own. That doesn't mean other people aren't conscious of the world. It only means I cannot see this world through their consciousness. This is not an inherent concept that is circular; this is an observation and a correct one at that.
Also, I bet your daddy could beat up my daddy! :)

But in all seriousness, that last statement bears examination. You have to start by defining your terms: in this case, what do you mean by consciousness? How do you define it?

If you define it as that which allows us to be aware of ourself and the world around us, then the statement "we can only see through our own consciousness" becomes a bit of a truism: that is what we have just defined it to mean! It is like saying "There is something through which all our experience flows. If we experience anything, then that experience is ours, and it has gone through it, and not through that through which someone elses experiences flow". In short, it is like saying "red mountains are not blue".

You can also define it as the act of awareness of ourself and our surroundings. But that does not solve the problem.

Do you have a definition of consciousness that makes the statement "We can only see the world through our own consciousness and not through someone else's" not trivially true?
I have been giving some thought to this consciousness question as well. It seems to me that whenever we read a book, watch a movie, look at a piece of art, listen to music, etc. we are experiencing/seeing the world as interpreted/mediated through someone else's consciousness.
It is an argument that could be made, though it occurs to me that you could also say that when that happens, you are doing so through your own consciousness.

There are shamanic traditions that say it is possible to experience another person's consciousness in an even more direct way, though it is very hard to ascertain if they are right or not.

The problem for me is that I am not aware of a satisfactory definition of the word "consciousness".
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-04-2013), LadyShea (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I agree with you but I don't have anyone to help me, and I'm new at this. Suggestions are welcome. I don't have a marketing plan yet. I'm on Chapter Eight, and as soon as I finish reading the proof and giving permission to put it online, I will try to figure out my next step
You are a beginner at a project you have tried to launch for 10 years? Then I do not think you will live long enough to become good at it, at the rate you are going.

Why have you not educated yourself about e-commerce? Why have you not signed up for some simple web-design classes? Why are you not researching target markets, advertising venues, and why is your website in such a state? If you want I can make a quick overview of the things that are obviously not right with your site, but the question should be - why on earth are you depending on me to do this for you? Why are you so incredibly passive? Do you think this is just going to happen?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy