Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject, because it's been monopolized by the "big brother of science" who has claimed all rights to this subject by virtue of making their theories FACTS. They don't have the right to do this.
Who in this society is somehow prevented from expressing their thoughts on any subject? That guy has a blog, right? He has a chance to express any thought he wants and he does so and did so for several years! You are publishing a book...no monopoly is preventing you doing that. Correct?

So what the fuck are you talking about?

Added to this post: LadyShea, the fact that he can express himself was not the point I was making when I posted his blog entry. In fact, this had nothing to do with the fact that he can express himself.
Then why did you say "no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject" if that's not what you meant?

Quote:
We all can express ourselves in this society.
Yes, that was my point. Your original post indicated you felt that was not the case, because you said so explicitly when you said "no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject".

Quote:
What disturbs me is the fact that science has turned some theories (however true they may appear) into concrete facts, which then makes anyone who dares to oppose these "facts" as being ignorant woos.
There is nobody stopping them from doing studies and experiments and working up the math and/or offering evidence and argument against a theory. This happens in science all the time. Google the Susskind-Hawking battle for an example of this.

Opposition without evidence is worthless however. Statements of disagreement without evidential support are just assertions. Ignorant woos don't have evidence, they have assertions. If they brought hard evidence or math or compelling arguments to the table, they wouldn't be ignorant woos, they would be valid scientists doing valid science.

Quote:
This prevents different points of view on a theory from ever entering the public realm because it's not considered "scientific", and science has the monopoly.
Differing points of view are all over the public realm in the form of books, essays, magazines, blogs, live lectures, videos, discussion forums, podcasts, radio programs, websites, conventions and expos. Surveys indicate a large percentage of Americans (close to half) agree with various "different views" over scientific views when it comes to topics like evolution and the existence of ghosts.

So, I ask again, what are you talking about?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To repeat: He didn't say that the eyes have no afferent receptor neurons. He said that there were no similar afferent nerve endings that make direct contact from the outside world to the inside world as is the case with sound, taste, and hearing and smell.
Light, from the outside world, makes direct contact with the afferent sensory neurons. So he was still wrong
Quote:
Light makes contact with the retina, but not without the object in view LadyShea. He said light causes certain reactions, which it does. It causes the pupils to dilate. It is a necessary condition of sight (without light we cannot see anything) but there is no direct contact between the nerve ending and the brain that would allow the visual stimuli (the image) to be decoded.
What does that have to do with what Lessans claimed?

He said "If a lion roared in that room a newborn baby would hear the sound
and react because this impinges on the eardrum and is then
transmitted to the brain. The same holds true for anything that
makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far
from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve
ending in this organ.
"

What he said was demonstrably incorrect since light makes direct contact with afferent neurons in the eyes.
Light makes contact, that is true, but there is no stimuli that travels to the brain whereby an image can be interpreted as normal sight.
That wasn't part of this passage nor what he said at all. Can you defend and explain his actual statement or not?

The statement The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ. is flat out incorrect. So why should I pay any attention to anything he says when he couldn't even get the physical facts correct?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
And what on Earth do you mean there is no direct contact between the nerve ending and the brain?? Are you seriously making a claim about neural anatomy...which you know nothing about?
There is no external stimuli as in a brightly colored object that is making direct contact to cause a reaction.
Light is the external stimuli. Light makes direct contact Of course objects don't enter the eyeballs, just like there is no object entering the ear when we hear nor object entering our skin when we sense pressure.

Quote:
In the case of sound, a baby can hear the roar of a lion and it would wake him up because there is direct contact with something external.
Direct contact with what external, exactly. "Something external" is not very specific.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
The time it takes to see a dot of a laser appear has nothing to do with light and sight.
Seeing light has nothing to do with light and sight? How do you figure that?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No one is denying that light must be at the film but to say that the image created is subject to light travel time delay long after the object or event is no longer present, remains a theory.
Quote:
These Hubble images are not theoretical, they are not imaginary, they exist. These are facts HubbleSite - Hubble Deep Field
You're appealing to the conclusion
No, I am not appealing to anything. I am showing you photographic images. How is something concrete...evidence anyone can look at... a "conclusion" being "appealed" to??
Quote:
Quote:
This is just as much a scientific discovery as any other scientific discovery made in the history of our world. You don't like it because he didn't use the method that you believe is necessary for proof. Sorry to say that it's not the only tool in the toolbox that can be used to determine the accuracy of the observations made.
Quote:
No, it is the method necessary for what he did to be called science.
And he clarified what these terms meant in the context he was using them.
I wasn't talking about what Lessans meant, I was talking about what can be called science and what cannot.

If the methods of science aren't used, it isn't science. It's philosophy, maybe.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
But that is what this entire discussion is about. Lessans shows that just because we can choose to act on a desire does not make will free. After all this time, people are still not getting it because they never took this knowledge seriously. Now we're back to square one.
After all this time you are still not getting it. His argument against free will is, for a number of reasons, simply not a very convincing argument.

Quote:
Yes, people offer excuses to justify their actions, but if they are already excused because we know they couldn't help themselves, they have no way to justify their actions to themselves. You're not understanding why conscience cannot accept actions that cannot be justified. If we take away their ability to rationalize their behavior, because they're already excused, they are left with an uncomfortable feeling since their rationalizations are not being given a chance to satisfy what their conscience knows is wrong.
You are not understanding that just because our actions are already excused does not take away our ability to justify those actions. It may mitigate the desire to justify those actions, but it certainly does not remove the ability to do so.

Quote:
True, I have always taken for granted that the earth was round because that's what science has established and science is trustworthy.
Science has established that sight is afferent and that there is no such thing as real time seeing and science is trustworty. Why don't you trust it?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The round earth theory doesn't have any opponents other than the flat-earthers whose evidence isn't convincing. Their belief regarding the shape of the earth does nothing to improve on what we already know. You can't compare their arguments for a flat earth with what my father is offering, which cannot be denied, if understood, because we're dealing with undeniable observations that are not easily perceived, but true nevertheless.
The afferent theory of sight doesn't have any opponents other than you and Lessans. Your belief regarding efferent vision does nothing to improve on what we already know.
It actually does Angakuk.
What specific improvements have resulted from Lessans theory of efferent sight?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand how the earth being flat would make us more environmentally conscious, or would give us spare money. If it was true, then we probably would find other discoveries based on this knowledge, but so far it seems that we were able to get to the moon after learning that the earth was round, so I'm not sure how they overcome this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
It is not at all clear how efferent vision and instant sight make anything better or benefit the world in any way. If they were true, then we would probably find other discoveries based on this knowledge, but so far it seems that we were able to to get to the moon after we learned that sight is delayed by the time it takes for light to travel from the object to the eyes, and it remains unclear how you and Lessans overcome this.
There are benefits to this knowledge or it wouldn't matter.
Well, since it does not matter there must not be any benefits.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I am not counting on the consequences as proof of anything Vivisectus.
You shouldn't, but I do remember you doing so on a few occasions. Let's just agree that arguments from consequences will no longer occur.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
The standards by which you determine what is "real" and what isn't are very different when you compare your reaction to flat earth theory and the ideas in the book.
You can compare this knowledge to the flat earthers if you want, but I don't think it's fair to do so. Each claim has to stand on it's own merits.
That is exactly the issue: the standards by which you determine which claim has merit, and which does not. The ones you apply (and expect other people to apply) to this book of yours is different than the one that applies to other ideas.

The empirical evidence against a flat earth is strong - but so is the empirical evidence against efferent sight. However, you accept one and not the other for no other discernible reason than your desire for your father to have been correct.

Quote:
Quote:
Efferent sight flies in the face of large amounts of hard evidence, just like the flat earth theory. It is just that you want to believe your book is correct, and have no particular reason to believe the earth is flat. The case in favour of a flat earth is actually a lot stronger than the case in favour of efferent sight, or the case for conscience working the way you believe. I am not even aware of what your case in favour of conscience working that way is, exactly.
I know you don't, so how can you tell me his case for how conscience works is weaker than the case for a flat earth? The only way to accumulate more evidence in favor of Lessans' claim is through reliable and unbiased testing. So far I've never seen a dog that can recognize his master from a picture or video without any other cues.
I can, because I have read the book, and he does not bother to make a case for it in the book. A weak case is stringer than none at all. and I have also studied the evidence the flat-earthers proffer. Unlike you, I do my homework.

And you rather prove my point by your muddled conflation of two points:

1: You speak of gathering more evidence in favor of your point of view. Again that is not how unbiased science works. You look for any evidence, either in favor or against. You are applying the methods of people who want to interpret the bible literally: you start with a conclusion, and work backwards, trying to find any fact that fits.

2: Dog sight, even if it would work the way you think it does (for which there is no evidence) is still not evidence for efferent sight. It would be compatible with it, but it does not argue either in favor or against it.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah so you are asking people to wait for the empirical evidence to show up. So am I, but you seem unwilling to do so.
Yes, that's the only way to convince you that Lessans' perceptions were spot on.
Then you must also wait for the empirical evidence in favor of a flat earth to show up. But you don't. As I said, different standards.
Quote:

Quote:
When you are caught in a lie, you just ingore it and keep going, don't you? Was your father dishonest too? I am beginning to expect that he waffled around the part where the evidence was supposed to go on purpose...
What do you want me to say? Maybe the flat earthers were right. I know that Lessans has a strong case for efferent vision.
You could try being honest. What is this strong case for efferent vision? You keep alluding to it, but there is no strong case in the book.

Quote:
Quote:
That aside, you only just said you had no right to an opinion on this because you had not studied the evidence. And now you are jumping to the conclusion that obviously it is not as compelling as the evidence for a round earth...
You're right. Maybe the earth is flat.
If you apply the same standards that you apply to your book and expect others to apply then yes, you have to assume that the flat-earth theory is plausible too.

Quote:
Quote:
On what basis do you dismiss the evidence against efferent sight, and yet accept the evidence against a flat earth? You seem to just pick what you like and run with it...
I dismiss the evidence against efferent sight because I believe the evidence for efferent sight is compelling.
Which evidence for efferent sight do we have again? My version of the book has none. I do see that the writer promises to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the eyes are not sense organs, but he never seems to get round to it.

Quote:
Quote:
Which is extremely hypocritical in someone who is always accusing others of bias, emotional irrationalism, knee-jerk condemnation, etc. etc. etc.

You are really showing just how little actual thought goes into your world-view.
I get your point Vivisectus, but it really doesn't fly in this case. Like I said, each case has to be examined on its own merit, not on appearances based on theories that have not stood up under scrutiny. I want this knowledge to be tested and analyzed. That's the only way the truth will come out, one way or another. And don't tell me that all the tests have been done.
All tests will never be done, by definition. But a lot of them have been done, and the results of these have consistently been incompatible with efferent sight. No tests have come back incompatible with afferent sight.

We could also demand that we keep doing new tests to see if the earth is still round. But that would not make the evidence we already have go away, and it would be extremely difficult to imagine what could possibly make the earth behave as if it is round in so many ways, and still be flat!

Quote:
Quote:
You are wrong, I am afraid. There is quite a bit of evidence: it is just that by your own admission, you never bothered to look into it.
So why aren't you a flat-earther if there is so much compelling evidence?
Because the evidence does not meet my standards, ofcourse.

Quote:
Quote:
Funny you should choose that example - knowing where planets are, and knowing they are not where we see them in the sky, is required to succesfully launch probes at distant planets. But somehow that does not qualify as compelling evidence, while the moon-landings do. :chin:
We can measure a lot of things by the speed of light, but this has no relation to how the eyes work in relation to light. You're getting all mixed up.
That is just a different version of "something else could be going on". And one that you would not be able to explain using a concrete example: you are evading the issue again.

Quote:
Quote:
Science also says that sight is not efferent. How come science is only trustworthy when it says things that you like? :chin:
I never gave much thought to it. Maybe science is wrong there too. I don't know. All I know is that Lessans' observations regarding the eyes make absolute sense and should be investigated.
Again - the standards you apply to the book would make a flat earth seem plausible.

[quote-Vivisectus]
No you're right. A theory is a theory is a theory. Maybe their claims are compelling and the preponderance of evidence is leaning in their direction.
[/quote]

I think you need to have a look at what you think a theory is more closely. In the meantime, we have established that when we use your standards for determining what is plausible, the theory that the earth is flat becomes plausible.

So now we need to see if we can stop doing that, because it is silly, and still retain the ideas you love so much.

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed: you just look at an idea and somehow just "see" that it is valid. Without any reference to any reality outside of your head.
How can you say that when his knowledge came from years and years of studying reality? All he has done is made reference to the real world, so I don't know what you're talking about. No claims of fairies here.
Taking a long time to be wrong does not make you right. But that is beside the point: it is you who looks at ideas and just decide if they are correct or not based on how you feel about them, not based on the strength (or even existence) of the evidence in favor or against them.

Just like you just "know" your father was correct.

Quote:
Quote:
You have not read the books in which all medical knowledge is held: this means that you have no right to judge even the parts that have been explained to you. That is the standard that you demand from people who criticise your ideas. However, it is not the standard you apply when you are criticizing other ideas. Because "you just know it is right".
I have the right to take care of my health, and I will do it in the best way I know how. Medicine is not an exact science. There are many unforeseen complications from drugs and surgery, so why shouldn't I question the success rates of these therapies knowing they could impact my health and the health of my loved ones?
There you go evading the issue again. If you apply the standard that you apply tot the book and require other people to apply to it, then you would NOT have the right to criticise modern medicine.

My point is that you do not apply that standard to all ideas. This is now pretty well established, I think.

Quote:
I'm being very serious. I'm tired of trying to convince you when you compare Lessans to a flat earther as if the evidence they bring and he brings are equivalent.
Actually, there is slightly more evidence for a flat earth than there is for conscience working as you think it does. There is a hell of a lot more evidence against efferent sight.

The point was that you do not ask us to wait for tests to be done to prove the earth is flat, and yet you ask us to infinitely defer our jusdgement on efferent sight.

Quote:
Quote:
How do they know they have traveled round a globe?
I don't know what you mean. It's not hard to do since the advent of airplanes and ocean liners.
Think of a saucer. Its centre of the saucer is the magnetic north pole. A ship sails along, always keeping the needle of the compass at exactly 90 degrees, which means they will always point west. They will end up at the exact same point. This would work on both a round earth and a flat earth.

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent - so your objection that there is no benefit to believing in a flat earth was nonsense.
What do taxes have to do with the benefit of believing in a flat earth?
They could be used to give people free healthcare. Or to build schools. Not terribly difficult.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-30-2013), LadyShea (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
True, I have always taken for granted that the earth was round because that's what science has established and science is trustworthy.

Quoted for the sheer, jaw-dropping hypocrisy.
For the most part science has gotten it right Lone Ranger. There is no jaw-dropping hypocrisy here. :eek:
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To repeat: He didn't say that the eyes have no afferent receptor neurons. He said that there were no similar afferent nerve endings that make direct contact from the outside world to the inside world as is the case with sound, taste, and hearing and smell.
Light, from the outside world, makes direct contact with the afferent sensory neurons. So he was still wrong
And it has been demonstrated that the contact results in signals to the brain. Is Peacegirl suggesting that those signals are just meaningless static?
Not at all. It just doesn't transmit signals that can be decoded.
Actually it has been demonstrated that the signals are decoded by the brain to form images in our mind.
No it has not.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Haven't people traveled the entire globe and ended up in the same place? How do the flat earthers explain that?
If you walk in a circle around a plate, you come back to where you started. Voila!
But we're using longitude and latitude, which means there is depth to the plate.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't people traveled the entire globe and ended up in the same place? How do the flat earthers explain that?
If you walk in a circle around a plate, you come back to where you started. Voila!
But we're using longitude and latitude, which means there is depth to the plate.
Maybe something else is going on there.
Angakuk (05-30-2013), Dragar (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
So you are still reneging on our deal and breaking your word? And for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the original offer you agreed to?
I will send it to you reluctantly. I'm still wondering why it even matters, if you're not going to read it? If you do give it to a university make sure Lessans gets a fair shake by not only giving it to libertarians and compatibilists (which puts him at a disadvantage because they're going to point out imaginary flaws like you have), but determinists as well.
Great, so we're back on then? When do your books arrive?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But you can't use those coordinates - that assumes the Earth is a sphere!

Besides, as Spacemonkey says, there might be something going on there. Why are you not waiting for the evidence to come in, peacegirl?
Angakuk (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am so not interested in your findings LadyShea. You're out for one reason which is to defend the indefensible. How can you defend an industry that gives approval for an unsafe drug that has killed thousands? You can't accept the fact that empirical evidence is often wrong, especially in the medical field when there is a reason to make the results look impressive. Knowing that 100,000 people die a year from a drug that is prescribed for you, wouldn't you think twice? Answer the question without giving me your brand of bullshit. Yes or no.
How can you defend a snake oil salesman who has made millions selling software that bypasses spam filters, and promotes alternative health products that he has financially partnered with while eviscerating competing products? Mike Adams has never successfully treated anyone, because he is not a trained practitioner of any kind...he sells products for money. Why do you give any weight to anything he says?
How has he eviscerated competing products? All you have to do is go online and google health products. I do not believe for one second that this guys' motives are as cold and calculating as you are making them out to be, that's why.

Quote:
I do think twice about all meds and procedures, and weigh those risks against the risks of not treating whatever the problem is. Of course I don't just blindly follow doctors orders. Do you really think everyone is a complete moron?
Well I'm glad about that. Then don't make light of the fact that there has been hanky panky going on in the FDA, and that they did not disclose the true dangers of certain drugs even when they knew of the risks. They claimed certain drugs were safe and effective when they were not safe, and put thousands of people at risk of injury or death. How can you compare these breaches of trust with Mike Adams who has hurt no one with his recommendations?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think Edward Gibbons, and those that love his writings, would be offended by your summarizing his work as being called "shit like that."
Edward Gibbon is dead so can't be offended, and who gives a shit if those that love him are offended? What a strange thing to point out.
It's not strange. it's outright nasty. It just makes you look ignorant and very angry. You seem like you have a major chip on your shoulder.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Besides, as Spacemonkey says, there might be something going on there. Why are you not waiting for the evidence to come in, peacegirl?
Actually, longitude and latitude are easily explained using a flat earth model. Simply draw a number of circles on your plate, one inside the other. Then draw straight lines from the centre of the plate to the edges.

the staight lines are the latitude. The circles are the longitude.

like this:

Thanks, from:
Dragar (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Remember, by proving that determinism, as the
opposite of free will, is true, we also establish undeniable proof that
free will is false.”
False dichotomy
You keep saying the same thing over and over as if saying it makes it true. You cannot have free will (the kind we're discussing) and not have it. You can have the illusion of free will, and act as if there is free will, but that doesn't mean in actuality that free will exists.
"The kind we are discussing"? When was that added? What a weasel, you just moved the goal posts again.
No it's not a weasel. There is a difference with how the word free is used. We can have freedom of this or that, but that's not what people mean when they are discussing freedom of the will. As Saul Smilansky writes:

"There are many forms of freedom--- political liberty, the freedom of finding 'oneself', the sense of feeling psychologically unemcumbered and a 'free spirit,' and more which are not directly related to the traditional philosophical free will problem."

Old 05-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And it has been demonstrated that the contact results in signals to the brain. Is Peacegirl suggesting that those signals are just meaningless static?
Actually it has been demonstrated that the signals are decoded by the brain to form images in our mind.
No it has not.
What makes you say it has not been demonstrated? Have you ever looked up a single paper on the subject?

Light to sight: milestones in phototransduction
Phototransduction in Rods and Cones – Webvision
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/book/e...ed-potentials/
Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, longitude and latitude are easily explained using a flat earth model. Simply draw a number of circles on your plate, one inside the other. Then draw straight lines from the centre of the plate to the edges.

like this:

What about using a compass which points north, south, east, west? Doesn't that show depth? What you're saying is that because they believe there is a preponderance of evidence in their favor, they feel they are being treated unfairly, and this is the exact situation that exists with the claim regarding the eyes. All I can say to this charge is that Lessans was an observer of reality. Moreover, the comparison isn't fair. Just because flat earthers say they are right even though, according to scientists, they are wrong given the compelling evidence to the contrary, does not mean that just because Lessans says he is right even though, according to scientists, he is wrong given the compelling evidence to the contrary, that he is necessarily wrong. These are two different cases and they stand on their own merit. It is too easy to classify a claim as wrong just because people who challenge other established theories sound similar.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No it has not.
What makes you say it has not been demonstrated? Have you ever looked up a single paper on the subject?

Visually Evoked Potentials – Webvision
Yes I know about these theories. I am telling you that I don't believe they have it right. They are trying to figure it out, but it's not conclusive that signals are transduced in such a way that images of the outside world are found in the brain.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Remember, by proving that determinism, as the
opposite of free will, is true, we also establish undeniable proof that
free will is false.”
False dichotomy
You keep saying the same thing over and over as if saying it makes it true. You cannot have free will (the kind we're discussing) and not have it. You can have the illusion of free will, and act as if there is free will, but that doesn't mean in actuality that free will exists.
"The kind we are discussing"? When was that added? What a weasel, you just moved the goal posts again.
No it's not a weasel. There is a difference with how the word free is used. We can have freedom of this or that, but that's not what people mean when they are discussing freedom of the will.
[/I]
It is exactly what some people mean when they are discussing freedom of the will.

Lessans pitted one version of determinism, his, against one version of free will, and arbitrarily left out other understandings of both terms. Hence the false dichotomy.

Also, how did he define "will"?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No it has not.

Visually Evoked Potentials – Webvision
Yes I know about these theories. I am telling you that I don't believe they have it right.
On what are you basing that disbelief? What criteria did you use to evaluate the information in those links?

Quote:
They are trying to figure it out, but it's not conclusive that signals are transduced in such a way that images of the outside world are found in the brain.
The signals have been measured and recorded.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

like this:

What about using a compass which points north, south, east, west? Doesn't that show depth?
A compass is a flat disc with a needle that points to the north pole, why wouldn't it work on a flat disc Earth?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM
puzzler

Quote:
What about using a compass which points north, south, east, west? Doesn't that show depth?
No. In the flat earth model, a north pointing compass just points along the straight lines towards the north pole at the center. East and West are at right angles to north and south. It's exactly the same as the round earth model.

For all practical purposes when you're navigating over distances of a few hundred miles or less, and you're not very close to the north or south pole, then you use the flat earth model already. The map you carry with you is on flat paper or a flat screen and you compare the earth's surface (which also looks pretty flat) directly to the map.

Edit: LadyShea beat me to it. :darn:
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject, because it's been monopolized by the "big brother of science" who has claimed all rights to this subject by virtue of making their theories FACTS. They don't have the right to do this.
Who in this society is somehow prevented from expressing their thoughts on any subject? That guy has a blog, right? He has a chance to express any thought he wants and he does so and did so for several years! You are publishing a book...no monopoly is preventing you doing that. Correct?

So what the fuck are you talking about?

Added to this post: LadyShea, the fact that he can express himself was not the point I was making when I posted his blog entry. In fact, this had nothing to do with the fact that he can express himself.
Then why did you say "no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject" if that's not what you meant?

Quote:
We all can express ourselves in this society.
Yes, that was my point. Your original post indicated you felt that was not the case, because you said so explicitly when you said "no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject".

Quote:
What disturbs me is the fact that science has turned some theories (however true they may appear) into concrete facts, which then makes anyone who dares to oppose these "facts" as being ignorant woos.
There is nobody stopping them from doing studies and experiments and working up the math and/or offering evidence and argument against a theory. This happens in science all the time. Google the Susskind-Hawking battle for an example of this.

Opposition without evidence is worthless however. Statements of disagreement without evidential support are just assertions. Ignorant woos don't have evidence, they have assertions. If they brought hard evidence or math or compelling arguments to the table, they wouldn't be ignorant woos, they would be valid scientists doing valid science.

Quote:
This prevents different points of view on a theory from ever entering the public realm because it's not considered "scientific", and science has the monopoly.
Differing points of view are all over the public realm in the form of books, essays, magazines, blogs, live lectures, videos, discussion forums, podcasts, radio programs, websites, conventions and expos. Surveys indicate a large percentage of Americans (close to half) agree with various "different views" over scientific views when it comes to topics like evolution and the existence of ghosts.

So, I ask again, what are you talking about?
I plead the 5th amendment. You will do whatever you can to use what I have said against me in the most unscientific way you can possibly muster to support your unproven position, so I will not continue this conversation as you will use it against me in very unobjective ways. How can you put in the same breath two completely different theories that have no relation to each other? That sounds very suspicous to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Quote:
No. In the flat earth model, a north pointing compass just points along the straight lines towards the north pole at the center. East and West are at right angles to north and south. It's exactly the same as the round earth model.

For all practical purposes when you're navigating over distances of a few hundred miles or less, and you're not very close to the north or south pole, then you use the flat earth model already. The map you carry with you is on flat paper or a flat screen and you compare the earth's surface (which also looks pretty flat) directly to the map.

Edit: LadyShea beat me to it. :darn:
I get what you're saying but it's not enough proof. Lessans wants to prove his case.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy