Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Wow, that site's a hoot!

I especially like how he proposes to tell you how to distinguish between organic and inorganic minerals.

:psst:
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (05-16-2013), LadyShea (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Where did he mention "my brilliant ideas". You are the one distorting his motivations. It was not butthurt LadyShea.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
I can’t convince these people to give
me the time even though I have made discoveries that will benefit all
mankind
. This pride is the first half of the primary problem; that the
very people who have the intellectual capacity to understand the
knowledge in this book refuse to investigate what must reveal, if
proven true, how unconsciously ignorant they have always been.
That's your interpretation. Where did he specifically state "my brilliant ideas?"
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It was not an assumption Spacemonkey. He was describing what he saw in the material world, which was not easily perceived by the average person.
He saw the workings of potentially perfect conscience in the material world? Really? That's quite a trick!
Oh my god, there you go again. In your curiosity about the world (which is a wonderful trait to have), you are going to miss out on a treasure because of the way you are jumping to major conclusions that this work cannot be true according to your epitemological standards. This is really fucked up. There is something wrong here and you will not budge. You will continue to act as if your knowledge is more accurate than Lessans' 30+ years of analysis of a subject matter that you can't even come close to. What gets to me is your your self-righteous attitude. I feel it through the computer.
You said he described what he saw in the material world. How could he see a potentially perfect conscience in the material world when, according to him, our conscience is not currently at the highest temperature? I am only questioning your claim.
He observed the workings of conscience which came from the real world. Based on his astute observations, he saw how our collective conscience is not working at full throttle and how it can be made to function at its highest capacity. He gave concrete examples in Chapter Three to show exactly what happens in an accident in today's world, and how the changed conditions will prevent conscience from allowing someone to take the kinds of risks that could get someone injured or killed. This is God's law. Our manmade laws cannot accomplish this. They can deter some people with threats of punishment, but these laws cannot stop those who are willing to risk their lives and the lives of others, for the satisfaction of certain desires.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
That's your interpretation. Where did he specifically state "my brilliant ideas?"
You're right, he didn't use those exact words. Good thing I didn't say it was a direct quote or anything.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, he is claiming special knowledge and you are so sure he doesn't have any that you have lost your objectivity. You have already decided that he has to be wrong (after all, look at the forums I've been to and they thought the same thing). Isn't that your reasoning? Well, it's completely biased and wrong, and it's hard to talk to you when half the things you say about him are filled with misinterpretations and untruths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
That's not my reasoning at all. I have given you my reasoning for deciding he was wrong...namely the fallacies and mistakes and arrogance and crackpottery displayed in his work.
You are the one whose thinking is flawed. There are absolutely no fallacies or mistakes in the book. Therefore, there is no crackpottery except in your head.

Quote:
I do use your experiences around the web to try to demonstrate to you that my negative response to the book is not unique, is not an aberration.
Remember, the majority doesn't always have it right. I didn't say you were an aberration, but your confrontational style is quite abrasive and demeaning.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, he didn't use those exact words. Good thing I didn't say it was a direct quote or anything.
It doesn't matter that you "didn't give a direct quote or anything." You implied it, and there was nothing about that quote that implied he thought his ideas were brilliant. You're so off base, it is sickening at this point. If there's no one else sincerely interested in the book, I am done. I'm wasting my time talking to you. It's a total washout. As far as you're concerned, this is all lulz and you won't get off your high horse until someone of great stature endorses it.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter that you "didn't give a direct quote or anything." You implied it, and there was nothing about that quote that implied he thought his ideas were brilliant.
What are you talking about? The most important discovery in the world, going to be seen as the coming of the Messiah, a benefit to all of mankind, the end to all evil....those words indicate he thought his ideas were brilliant.

Quote:
You're so off base, it is sickening at this point. If there's no one else sincerely interested in the book, I am done. I'm wasting my time talking to you. It's a total washout. As far as you're concerned, this is all lulz and you won't get off your high horse until someone of great stature endorses it.
What makes you believe I give a single shit about "great stature"? Who do you think could endorse this that I would pay attention to unless he/she also provided hard evidence?

I will look at evidence, peacegirl, and very good evidence that he was right is the only thing that could convince me Lessans was anything but a crackpot.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't matter that you "didn't give a direct quote or anything." You implied it, and there was nothing about that quote that implied he thought his ideas were brilliant.
What are you talking about? The most important discovery in the world, going to be seen as the coming of the Messiah, a benefit to all of mankind, the end to all evil....those words indicate he thought his ideas were brilliant.
You're so out in left field, you don't even know what you're saying. If this knowledge can prevent war and crime, most people would consider this a very important discovery. These laws are going to be a benefit to all mankind, but these are not his laws. These laws would be equivalent to the Messianic era (or the Golden Age of Man) that has been predicted in the Bible.

In view of the serious nature of this discovery, the effects of which will
beneficently ramify into every conceivable direction causing religious
minds
to consider this the return of the expected Messiah...

Your comments are obnoxious. He was not proud. He did not consider his thoughts brilliant, although the law that he discovered is truly amazing.

Quote:
You're so off base, it is sickening at this point. If there's no one else sincerely interested in the book, I am done. I'm wasting my time talking to you. It's a total washout. As far as you're concerned, this is all lulz and you won't get off your high horse until someone of great stature endorses it.
Quote:
What makes you believe I give a single shit about "great stature"? Who do you think could endorse this that I would pay attention to unless he/she also provided hard evidence?
There will be people who will read this book with enthusiasm and love it, I have no doubt. It might be someone of great stature, of great celebrity, or it may go viral as people begin to spread the word of this discovery.

Quote:
I will look at evidence, peacegirl, and very good evidence that he was right is the only thing that could convince me Lessans was anything but a crackpot.
Let me say again that it is your loss. You have not studied this work, and your confused thinking, as part of the bandwagon that has formed in here against Lessans, has given people a false impression of how very profound this work is. I am not worried because I know what he has, and soon enough people are going to read it and want to be instrumental in any way they can. Sorry it won't be you. :sadcheer:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
There will be people who will read this book with enthusiasm and love it, I have no doubt. It might be someone of great stature, of great celebrity, or it may go viral as people begin to spread the word of this discovery.
Maybe it will, but what makes you think I care about that?

Lots of celebrities have endorsed all kinds of crackpot ideas, such as Scientology and past life regression. Lots of crap goes viral...The Secret was nonsense yet it was a best seller with all kinds of devotees. Does any of that make the endorsed ideas any more true?

ETA: The Secret also posits a law of nature!
Quote:
the universe is governed by a natural law called the law of attraction which is said to work by attracting into a person's life the experiences, situations, events, and people that "match the frequency" of the person's thoughts and feelings.The Secret (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by LadyShea; 05-16-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 AM
puzzler

Quote:

You're so out in left field, you don't even know what you're saying. If this knowledge can prevent war and crime, most people would consider this a very important discovery.
The key word here is the 'if' at the start of the second sentence. Unfortunately for you, the answer to that 'if' is:
No - this purported 'knowledge' can do no such thing - so it's not important after all.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Let me say again that it is your loss.
Okay
Quote:
You have not studied this work, and your confused thinking, as part of the bandwagon that has formed in here against Lessans, has given people a false impression of how very profound this work is.
Who has gotten a false impression from me and the bandwagon, do you think? I would hope people read your website and your posts for themselves, and come to their own conclusions, otherwise they are not displaying critical thinking skills...which I value highly.

So if anyone reading this is influenced by me, I am telling you now to please know that my words are only my opinion and you should come to your own opinion. You can read the first 3 chapters at Decline and Fall of all Evil.com

Quote:
I am not worried because I know what he has, and soon enough people are going to read it and want to be instrumental in any way they can. Sorry it won't be you. :sadcheer:
Your own family hasn't tried to be instrumental in any way they can, they prefer to stay busy other ways, what makes you think strangers will be different?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Or it may continue to be ignored by everyone but yourself as worthless self-aggrandizing crackpottery. My money's on the latter. The empirical evidence of your ten years of abject failure and rejection supports my position.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
“Of course not; I just told you that the fiery dragon must be killed
to get the key. First, I must prove that man’s will is not free so we
can come face to face with the fiery dragon (the great impasse of
blame), and I will prove it in a mathematical, undeniable manner.
Then I shall jab him in the right eye, then the left, then I shall cut out
his tongue. I took fencing lessons for the job. And finally I shall
pierce him in his heart. Then when I have made certain he is dead.”
The amazing thing is that this prose is so idiotically archaic that it is hard to believe that anyone would take it seriously. Lessans was stuck so far back in time, both with his understanding of the world, but also in his style of writing that it is hard to see how anyone could consider that he had any understanding of Human nature. He was a first order clown who wrote a joke of a book, but it was only 'funny sad'.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it will, but what makes you think I care about that?
I never said you did. I am saying that, due to your extreme skepticism, you have thrown out this treasure of knowledge prematurely.

Quote:
Lots of celebrities have endorsed all kinds of crackpot ideas, such as Scientology and past life regression. Lots of crap goes viral...The Secret was nonsense yet it was a best seller with all kinds of devotees. Does any of that make the endorsed ideas any more true?
Of course not. That's not what I'm even implying.

Quote:
ETA: The Secret also posits a law of nature!
Quote:
the universe is governed by a natural law called the law of attraction which is said to work by attracting into a person's life the experiences, situations, events, and people that "match the frequency" of the person's thoughts and feelings.The Secret (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New agers throw the word "frequency" around quite a bit. The law of attraction can be dangerous because it puts the blame on the individual for not attracting into their life what they want. They gave an example where a driver who had nothing to do with an accident (he was the victim) must have invited it, or drew it to him, due to his thoughts. That really bothered me.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Quote:

You're so out in left field, you don't even know what you're saying. If this knowledge can prevent war and crime, most people would consider this a very important discovery.
The key word here is the 'if' at the start of the second sentence. Unfortunately for you, the answer to that 'if' is:
No - this purported 'knowledge' can do no such thing - so it's not important after all.
Now you too Ceptimus? Please stay neutral. I don't need another person adding to the circus this thread has become.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Let me say again that it is your loss.
Okay
Quote:
You have not studied this work, and your confused thinking, as part of the bandwagon that has formed in here against Lessans, has given people a false impression of how very profound this work is.
Who has gotten a false impression from me and the bandwagon, do you think? I would hope people read your website and your posts for themselves, and come to their own conclusions, otherwise they are not displaying critical thinking skills...which I value highly.
So do I, probably more so than you.

Quote:
So if anyone reading this is influenced by me, I am telling you now to please know that my words are only my opinion and you should come to your own opinion. You can read the first 3 chapters at Decline and Fall of all Evil.com
Thanks for advertising the website.

Quote:
I am not worried because I know what he has, and soon enough people are going to read it and want to be instrumental in any way they can. Sorry it won't be you. :sadcheer:
Quote:
Your own family hasn't tried to be instrumental in any way they can, they prefer to stay busy other ways, what makes you think strangers will be different?
They haven't had an opportunity. Yes they are busy but they will help. Considering you use criticial thinking skills, these skills have flown out the window because your analysis of my family is wrong, just like your analysis of who my father was. My family will get involved as much as they can, once they get the book. I can't give even to my family what's not available yet.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Or it may continue to be ignored by everyone but yourself as worthless self-aggrandizing crackpottery. My money's on the latter. The empirical evidence of your ten years of abject failure and rejection supports my position.
Spacemonkey, I know your position. If you have no more interest in this non-discovery, as you call it, and you have no more questions because you think you know it all, then leave it at that. There is nothing that you're adding to the conversation. You're just making the same assertions you've made from day one. No progress whatsoever.

Last edited by peacegirl; 05-16-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I never said you did. I am saying that, due to your extreme skepticism, you have thrown out this treasure of knowledge prematurely.
LadyShea's skepticism is not of the extreme variety. It is rather perfectly normal skepticism.

Quote:
New agers throw the word "frequency" around quite a bit.
Well, thank goodness you've never had any issues with the word 'frequency'. :giggle:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Spacemonkey, I know your position.
And you know that unlike your own, mine is supported by evidence.

Quote:
If you have no more interest in this non-discovery, as you call lit, and you have no more questions because you think you know it all, then leave it at that.
Oh, I have plenty of questions. They're just not ones you're willing or able to answer.

Quote:
There is nothing that you're adding to the conversation. You're just making the same assertions you've made from day one. No progress whatsoever.
You are once again describing yourself. :giggle:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LadyShea's skepticism is not of the extreme variety. It is rather perfectly normal skepticism.

Quote:
Well, thank goodness you've never had any issues with the word 'frequency'. :giggle:
I'm with you. :giggle:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Spacemonkey, I know your position.
And you know that unlike your own, mine is supported by evidence.

Quote:
If you have no more interest in this non-discovery, as you call lit, and you have no more questions because you think you know it all, then leave it at that.
Oh, I have plenty of questions. They're just not ones you're willing or able to answer.

Quote:
There is nothing that you're adding to the conversation. You're just making the same assertions you've made from day one. No progress whatsoever.
You are once again describing yourself. :giggle:
Now we're back to playground tactics. This is getting us nowhere fast.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Peacegirl, why don't you just stop complaining about everyone else on the thread and just explain the book as if everyone agrees with you. The more you worry about everyones understanding the more you get bogged down and stuck on trying to get everyone to agree. You could simply explain the discovery and the two sided equation since you don't believe that anyone else understands it, but you will need to do it outside the book as that seems to be the source of much confusion. Demonstrate your clear understanding of the principles in the book.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
And then there's sanity:
The quack view of preventing breast cancer versus reality and Angelina Jolie
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, I think it's misplaced skepticism, just like yours is. You WILL NOT give him the benefit of the doubt because of your insistence that compatibilism is correct. You are defendnig your position at all costs. This, to me, means you never actually listened with a sincere effort to learn. You never planned on listening to what he had to say the minute you were determined to prove that the eyes are a sense organ. Admit it Spacmonkey; you had no intention to understand his reasoning; just to support yours. Your goal was to prove him wrong and be seen as the one who brought Lessans down (:laugh:) which is why you followed me from forum to forum.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
You're funny. :giggle:
Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia of Syracuse View Post
It depends what you define as sanity Cynthia. The medical profession has lost it's bearings.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy