Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
...I am going to have to leave both forums.
Don't forget your bread crumbs.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm Deplorable.

This was just too good,

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Don't forget your bread crumbs.
The blathering continues...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
In many ways Lessans world, the 'Golden Age', will be like an internet forum, anyone can become a citizen or member, very easily, I registered and here I am. Anyone can decide that they have some wonderful knowledge and post it. Anyone can judge that they are qualified to post an answer to a question or comment and post it. There are no tests to take and qualify for the position of member. Several have posted saying that they had some professional qualifications but there was no proof offered, just their say so. So in effect we are the experiment to discover if the 'Golden Age' has any appeal as a world wide system to organize society.
Does anybody see the problem here? He keeps repeating himself as if "professional qualifications" are the mark of truth, and this is what he is depending on in his refutation. I can't even call it a refutation because he doesn't know enough to refute. This is sick. Below is the sickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
Several have posted saying that they had some professional qualifications
Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Yeah, good luck with that. :rofl:
Why do you care what I do? You are an enigma.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
She later married someone else and they're still together after 60 years. He will be 90 but sadly has just been hospitalized because of acute kidney failure. He's in intensive care at this moment. This was due to a mix up of two medicines that he should never have been given at the same time.

Many time this happens with older patients because they can't remember what medications they are taking, and can't tell the physician. So the Dr. prescribes something for the problem that Dr. is diagnosing and it is the failure of the patient for not telling the Dr. what other medications he is currently taking. Of course Peacegirl will blame the Dr. for not knowing when there was no way for him to know.
Oh my god, it's interesting to see how you are arguing with the profession you so adore. Is this funny or what? Seriously maybe this will help you because I know you are on a lot of meds. The medical board concluded that this was a medical mistake. Consumers, beware! Now let's see how you try to get out of this one just to make me the bad guy. :doh:
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why do you keep saying you're going to leave when you know that you can't?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She later married someone else and they're still together after 60 years. He will be 90 but sadly has just been hospitalized because of acute kidney failure. He's in intensive care at this moment. This was due to a mix up of two medicines that he should never have been given at the same time.

Many time this happens with older patients because they can't remember what medications they are taking, and can't tell the physician. So the Dr. prescribes something for the problem that Dr. is diagnosing and it is the failure of the patient for not telling the Dr. what other medications he is currently taking. Of course Peacegirl will blame the Dr. for not knowing when there was no way for him to know.
Oh my god, it's interesting to see how you are arguing with the profession you so adore. Is this funny or what? Seriously maybe this will help you because I know you are on a lot of meds. The medical board concluded that this was a medical mistake. Consumers, beware! Now let's see how you try to get out of this one just to make me the bad guy. :doh:
There seems to be a serious lack of reading comprehension here, Peacegirls objections don't seem to have any relation to what I posted, as if she hadn't even read them, she just posts some generic objection hopeing it will somehow fit. In this one I was critical of the patient not the Doctor. I don't think Peacegirl is a bad person, just misguided and mentally incompetent.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's for the same reason you ask her questions you know darn well she will never answer.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's for the same reason you ask her questions you know darn well she will never answer.
I was asking Peacegirl because I'm interested in why she thinks she keeps doing this. The rest of us understand her quite well, but I'm fascinated by her own complete lack of self-awareness and self-knowledge.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
If you don't like something, or you disagree with it, you move on.
Um, no. If that were true there would be no activists of any kind and no evangelists of any kind and few leaders of any kind. If you don't like something you can try to change it and if you disagree with something you can try to persuade your opponents to seeing things your way.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Um, no. If that were true there would be no activists of any kind and no evangelists of any kind and few leaders of any kind. If you don't like something you can try to change it and if you disagree with something you can try to persuade your opponents to seeing things your way.

If Peacegirl followed her own advice, she wouldn't be here.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was asking Peacegirl because I'm interested in why she thinks she keeps doing this. The rest of us understand her quite well, but I'm fascinated by her own complete lack of self-awareness and self-knowledge.
I know you can't get over just how crazy she is, but try to remember that she is a human being.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I know you can't get over just how crazy she is, but try to remember that she is a human being.
Of course. I don't think I am dehumanizing her in any way. Besides, we're only giving her exactly what she wants. The cruelest thing we could do to her would be to ignore her.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Of course. I don't think I am dehumanizing her in any way. Besides, we're only giving her exactly what she wants. The cruelest thing we could do to her would be to ignore her.
That's not what the all the mental health professionals at PR think. Other's may be willing to step in and reinforce her unhealthy behavior but I think you know better.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's not what the all the mental health professionals at PR think. Other's may be willing to step in and reinforce her unhealthy behavior but I think you know better.
I have no idea what the mental health professionals at PR think. But again, I don't see that ceasing to reply to her is going to have any positive effect whatsoever. Even if we could all collectively co-operate to ignore her here, she'd just pack up shop and move to a new forum. The only way to prevent her from feeding her delusions would be to forcibly intervene and prevent her from accessing the internet, and none of us are in a position to do that. She needs direct intervention from a family member to break her compulsive behavior, but we've tried that and they just aren't interested. We've also seen how she behaves when people aren't asking her relevant questions. She just goes on and on complaining and insulting people, while attacking their alleged motives. At least by asking her questions she is given the opportunity to engage in reasoned discussion.
Crumb (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what the mental health professionals at PR think. But again, I don't see that ceasing to reply to her is going to have any positive effect whatsoever. Even if we could all collectively co-operate to ignore her here, she'd just pack up shop and move to a new forum. The only way to prevent her from feeding her delusions would be to forcibly intervene and prevent her from accessing the internet, and none of us are in a position to do that. She needs direct intervention from a family member to break her compulsive behavior, but we've tried that and they just aren't interested. We've also seen how she behaves when people aren't asking her relevant questions. She just goes on and on complaining and insulting people, while attacking their alleged motives. At least by asking her questions she is given the opportunity to engage in reasoned discussion.
Look, peacegirl may find others to assist her on her path to self destruction, but there is no reason whatsoever that you must be one of them. You do have to live with yourself after all.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Look, peacegirl may find others to assist her on her path to self destruction, but there is no reason whatsoever that you must be one of them. You do have to live with yourself after all.
And I'm quite comfortable with what I'm doing. If I thought I could actually help Peacegirl by not responding to her, then I'd gladly ignore her. But I see no point in ignoring her if it won't help. I guess I just adhere to a more utilitarian rather than virtue-based ethic. Either that or I'm just an asshole like every one else. :shrug:
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And I'm quite comfortable with what I'm doing. If I thought I could actually help Peacegirl by not responding to her, then I'd gladly ignore her. But I see no point in ignoring her if it won't help. I guess I just adhere to a more utilitarian rather than virtue-based ethic. Either that or I'm just an asshole like every one else. :shrug:
The point I appear to be failing to make is that you may not be able to help her, but by assisting her in hurting herself you are hurting yourself. Unless you have a memory disorder, a memory of your actions is accumulating in your brain for better or for worse. There may come a time in your life when you have a child or someone you care about, and you might want to be able to look them in the eye when you try to get them to do the right thing but you can't because you know you're a hypocrite.

It's a pretty low thing to aid an obviously crazy person in her disease, and it's not much of an excuse to say you are doing it because you think that if you don't then someone else will do it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Some people need help, but what that help is, is not always well defined. In the end each person does what he or she thinks is best in each situation, there is not one best rule for all situations. It also seems I have just posted some concepts that disprove Lessans ideas of a universial one-size-fits-all conscience. That Peacegirl needs help is pretty much a given, but what will help her the most is in debate. How many professional psychologists are here that would be willing to offer a diagnosis based on this thread?

I am not a mental health professional, but as a teacher I had some training, and it was part of my responsibility to observe a students behavior and pass those observations on to those who could evaluate and take some action. So based on my observations of this and other threads I would say that Peacegirl does need some help from a mental health profesional. What her problem is exactly, and what help she might need, is not within my realm of expertice.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Some people need help, but what that help is, is not always well defined. In the end each person does what he or she thinks is best in each situation, there is not one best rule for all situations. It also seems I have just posted some concepts that disprove Lessans ideas of a universial one-size-fits-all conscience. That Peacegirl needs help is pretty much a given, but what will help her the most is in debate. How many professional psychologists are here that would be willing to offer a diagnosis based on this thread?

I am not a mental health professional, but as a teacher I had some training, and it was part of my responsibility to observe a students behavior and pass those observations on to those who could evaluate and take some action. So based on my observations of this and other threads I would say that Peacegirl does need some help from a mental health profesional. What her problem is exactly, and what help she might need, is not within my realm of expertice.
There doesn't appear to be much in the way of disagreement that peacegirl has a problem. And there doesn't appear to be much disagreement that you, I and others are not equipped to determine what if anything can or should be done. What I'm saying is that in the absence of knowledge or intervention, the least we could do is try to do no harm.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Again, I don't see how I'm doing anything wrong if nothing else I did would result in any less harm. I would have no problem showing future children my own posts here. My conscience is quite clear.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Again, I don't see how I'm doing anything wrong if nothing else I did would result in any less harm. I would have no problem showing future children my own posts here. My conscience is quite clear.
It wasn't thinking so much as this being a matter of net harm to peacegirl, but more a matter of net harm to you. I agree, there is nothing to do for her short of sending out a padded wagon. Since that won't happen, be it here or somewhere else, her crusade will continue. But I can't see how your obsession with trying to get answers from a person who is just not capable of giving them is good for you. In any case I tried.

Carry on.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

FDA Approves First Bionic Eye:

Quote:
Some of the early patients testing the device said they could distinguish boundaries between objects and differentiate light from dark. Some could read large letters, while for others, being able to match sock colors and detect street curbs were more important for helping them to live more independently.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-05-2013), LadyShea (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
It becomes an issue if it's worth discussing. If people are so sure that my father did not make a discovery, and they know for a fact that I'm not changing my position, I don't know why they're wasting so much time here unless it's just for entertainment, which could be the case.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy