Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Reality Adventurer

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Or (to follow the lead from Project Reason) indicates that your two years of posts are nothing but spam as you attempt to (ineptly) shill your book and you should have been banned from FF years ago.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM

One of my duties on PR has been control over the popcorn concession. This has been a weighty responsibility. I am reminded of Peacegirl’s many objections, on here and PR, that her father’s book has been unfairly judged. I can sympathize with that. I’ve quite similar complaints about my popcorn.

My objections include my contention that no one has nibbled more than a few kernels of my father’s amazing popcorn discovery, said they were spoiled, and refused to eat more. I’ve always said that the best kernels were at the bottom, but no one’s gone that far. Those few who claim to have done so are lying, as no one would survive a whole bag. Everyone knows that a few bad pieces do not a whole bag make. Even if my father flunked out of cooking school, all those did graduated are biased against one lonely old man who slaved away for years alone, to escape the minions of the FDA who would’ve prosecuted him for using rancid pig lard. All I’m trying to do is recoup my expenses in gathering together scattered kernels from the floor to produce whole bags, and I’ve had to pay for a concession stand to sell them. It simply isn’t fair that food poisoning is considered toxic by people who consider that their digestive integrity is more important than my need to make some money. Spacemonkey was not interested in the 2nd kernel, he was choking on it. That’s his fault for no chewing enough. Now I’m about ready to give up here, as I’m sure there are lots of hungry Haitians who’ll welcome this discovery. Those trying to undermine me here are doing so for reasons having nothing to do with me or the popcorn, so they must be crazy. It is unfair, naysayers victimizing me when they’ve have not even tasted it! So what, if all who have done so threw up, that just shows they’ve no taste nor tolerance for vile foods, not my fault. Besides, I know from all the moves to ban my popcorn as not fit for mere human consumption proves that it is therefore a great discovery. My father created the discovery and it is my mission in life to sell it so that everyone will then bask in culinary bliss, once of course everyone has agreed it is yummy.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-28-2013), Dingfod (03-28-2013), Dragar (03-28-2013), LadyShea (03-28-2013), Stephen Maturin (03-27-2013), thedoc (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Imagine how our own Vivisectus feels. In the course of making numerous astute observations, he discovered that woodpeckers are responsible for deforestation. He made the discovery by boldly opening and walking though the door marked "Woodpeckers are not birds," a door that mainstream science was unwilling to touch because doing so might upend cherished worldviews and rustle a great deal of scientific jimmies.

People mocked V's discovery, and scientists would not give him the time of day, but that is because they lack understanding. V's observations are undeniable, and thus must be accepted if the underlying relations are understood. Denying the observations conclusively proves an absence of understanding.

You'd think supposed "freethinkers" would be more amenable to unconventional ideas. I guess the prospect of the Decline and Fall of All Deforestation isn't enough for some people. :shrug:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-28-2013), Dingfod (03-28-2013), Dragar (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Campbell View Post
One of my duties on PR has been control over the popcorn concession. This has been a weighty responsibility. I am reminded of Peacegirl’s many objections, on here and PR, that her father’s book has been unfairly judged. I can sympathize with that. I’ve quite similar complaints about my popcorn.

My objections include my contention that no one has nibbled more than a few kernels of my father’s amazing popcorn discovery, said they were spoiled, and refused to eat more. I’ve always said that the best kernels were at the bottom, but no one’s gone that far. Those few who claim to have done so are lying, as no one would survive a whole bag. Everyone knows that a few bad pieces do not a whole bag make. Even if my father flunked out of cooking school, all those did graduated are biased against one lonely old man who slaved away for years alone, to escape the minions of the FDA who would’ve prosecuted him for using rancid pig lard. All I’m trying to do is recoup my expenses in gathering together scattered kernels from the floor to produce whole bags, and I’ve had to pay for a concession stand to sell them. It simply isn’t fair that food poisoning is considered toxic by people who consider that their digestive integrity is more important than my need to make some money. Spacemonkey was not interested in the 2nd kernel, he was choking on it. That’s his fault for no chewing enough. Now I’m about ready to give up here, as I’m sure there are lots of hungry Haitians who’ll welcome this discovery. Those trying to undermine me here are doing so for reasons having nothing to do with me or the popcorn, so they must be crazy. It is unfair, naysayers victimizing me when they’ve have not even tasted it! So what, if all who have done so threw up, that just shows they’ve no taste nor tolerance for vile foods, not my fault. Besides, I know from all the moves to ban my popcorn as not fit for mere human consumption proves that it is therefore a great discovery. My father created the discovery and it is my mission in life to sell it so that everyone will then bask in culinary bliss, once of course everyone has agreed it is yummy.
I will confirm the validity of this tale of woe. The truth is, on PR, Dennis has been whining about his damned popcorn for years. We think he is not only deluded, but obsessive-compulsive. We've argued, pleaded, debated, and insulted him, but he clutches onto his popcorn and his dreams tighter than ever. Trust me...we've tasted his popcorn and it sucks. Many of the kernels are unpopped, it is much too buttery, and he uses sugar instead of salt. Worst of all, he told us that we have to eat 600 bags to allow ourselves to become accustomed to the flavor.

I hope you guys have better luck dissuading him from dedicating his life to this lost cause.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-28-2013), Dingfod (03-28-2013), Dragar (03-28-2013), peacegirl (03-28-2013), Stephen Maturin (03-28-2013), thedoc (03-28-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

I don't even like popcorn. :gross:
Dingfod (03-28-2013), Dragar (03-28-2013), thedoc (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Campbell View Post

I will confirm the validity of this tale of woe. The truth is, on PR, Dennis has been whining about his damned popcorn for years. We think he is not only deluded, but obsessive-compulsive. We've argued, pleaded, debated, and insulted him, but he clutches onto his popcorn and his dreams tighter than ever. Trust me...we've tasted his popcorn and it sucks. Many of the kernels are unpopped, it is much too buttery, and he uses sugar instead of salt. Worst of all, he told us that we have to eat 600 bags to allow ourselves to become accustomed to the flavor.

I hope you guys have better luck dissuading him from dedicating his life to this lost cause.
No fair! My popcorn is my life, my father said so. You take away my popcorn, and all I'll have is an empty bag of hot air.....
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-28-2013), thedoc (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 AM
A fellow sophisticate

:popcorn:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm Deplorable.

You guys have no empathy what-so-ever. Just imagine how poor Peacegirl feels with a belly full of rotten popcorn?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Well Peacegirl says I'm supposed to have the last word on this thread, so here it is, -
FINIS
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Well Peacegirl says I'm supposed to have the last word on this thread, so here it is, -
FINIS
She told me the same thing!

FINAL FINIS!
Thanks, from:
thedoc (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

LOL

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Since Lessans' second discovery removes this injustice, I thought anyone could appreciate this, but especially parents of daughters.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Hello again, Peacegirl.

I still don't have any answer from you to my question. You say that when the Sun is first ignited at 12:00 there will instantly be photons at the retina on Earth and which came from the Sun. Right?

So when were they at the Sun? Could they have been at the Sun after 12:00? [Yes or No] _____
Dragar (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Since Lessans' second discovery removes this injustice, I thought anyone could appreciate this, but especially parents of daughters.

Katie Makkai - Pretty - YouTube
As long as men have penises, women will wish to inspire them.

It's a drag, but it is what it is. Our only hope is for them to see women as human beings as well as sex objects.

Men have it so much better. They just have to deal with being "success objects".

Which is more undesirable...an ugly girl or a man who lives in his mother's basement?

Anyway, I hope you and your dad are right. It would be nice to live in a perfect world......or would it?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:

As long as men have penises, women will wish to inspire them.

It's a drag, but it is what it is. Our only hope is for them to see women as human beings as well as sex objects.

Men have it so much better. They just have to deal with being "success objects".

Which is more undesirable...an ugly girl or a man who lives in his mother's basement?

Anyway, I hope you and your dad are right. It would be nice to live in a perfect world......or would it?
It's not a drag. It's evolution. If male peacocks could talk.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Peacegirl, you are an idiot. Any real human being, has long ago, seen well beyond what this girl is talking about, and if they have not, they are less than human, merely intelligent animals. You and your father fall into the latter catigory, because you can't get beyond outward apperances to what makes a person really human and beautiful.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Men who only see women as a place to put their dick, are significantly less than Human. I've known several women that were only good for that, but only a few that were worth spending more than just a little time with. It cuts both ways.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Peacegirl, you are an idiot. Any real human being, has long ago, seen well beyond what this girl is talking about, and if they have not, they are less than human, merely intelligent animals. You and your father fall into the latter catigory, because you can't get beyond outward apperances to what makes a person really human and beautiful.
I don't quite understand your fury at Peacegirl. The poet was expressing outrage about a subject with which many women can identify. To me, it's old news, but she might be inspirational to a new generation of women, some of whom are puking up their food to stay thin. Especially puzzling is your accusation that Peacegirl "can't get beyond outward appearances to what makes a person really human and beautiful" That is exactly what the poem was about.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

sadie, part of Lessans "discovery" is that words like beautiful and intelligent and educated are harmful and must be removed from the language.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
sadie, part of Lessans "discovery" is that words like beautiful and intelligent and educated are harmful and must be removed from the language.
Ah....this I did not know.

So....does this mean 1. we are going to observe these qualities and not mention them 2. differences in people will disappear or 3. no one will be capable of judging and evaluating beauty and intelligence. 4. they won't value these qualities or 5 they will have no positive or negative emotions associated with these qualities?

Listen, I need this golden age to arrive soon. I'm starting to look like shit.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Sadie, Lessans devoted all of Chapter 4 'Words, not Reality' to his claim that words created our impression of what reality looks like. He was obsessed with physical apperances and sex, and Peacegirl has carried on that obsession with words and the idea that they create reality. My rant was against Peacegirl, because after more than 2 years of reading dialogue between her and others and myself, I am sure that, the rage againse the physical, is all that she saw in the video. I agree with the point of the girl in the video and I see that she was making it in a forceful manner, and that is a good thing. I just wanted to point out that real honest human beings have gotten beyond that to look at another person for something more than just outward appearances. Perhaps it would be better if I characterize those stuck on outward appearances as less mature.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Ah....this I did not know.

So....does this mean 1. we are going to observe these qualities and not mention them 2. differences in people will disappear or 3. no one will be capable of judging and evaluating beauty and intelligence. 4. they won't value these qualities or 5 they will have no positive or negative emotions associated with these qualities?

Listen, I need this golden age to arrive soon. I'm starting to look like shit.
I think according to Lessans it will be #2, he believed that the words created the quality, rather than just describing them. At several places in the book he claimed that his 7th grade education, plus a lot of undirected reading on his own, was better than a university PhD.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

But according to your posts and avatar, you are quite beautiful as you are.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Sadie, Lessans devoted all of Chapter 4 'Words, not Reality' to his claim that words created our impression of what reality looks like. He was obsessed with physical apperances and sex, and Peacegirl has carried on that obsession with words and the idea that they create reality. My rant was against Peacegirl, because after more than 2 years of reading dialogue between her and others and myself, I am sure that, the rage againse the physical, is all that she saw in the video. I agree with the point of the girl in the video and I see that she was making it in a forceful manner, and that is a good thing. I just wanted to point out that real honest human beings have gotten beyond that to look at another person for something more than just outward appearances. Perhaps it would be better if I characterize those stuck on outward appearances as less mature.
Uh oh...I may be agreeing with Lessans (based on very little information), but words really do create our impression of reality, don't they? You know...like with the Eskimos having 200 words for various kinds of snow?

I'm assuming we're talking about perception and he wasn't one of those loons who believes that thoughts literally create reality? My tenant is one of those folks and she spends 1 hour a day visualizing in detail the man she wants to meet. Her explanation has to do with quantum reality, vibrations, and the Universe loving us. I'm urging her to join a bowling league or a club for free thinkers, most of whom seem to be men.

Only problem is she would start talking and I suspect she'd meet the same fate as Peacegirl.

BTW.... thanks for saying nice things to me. I am enjoying FF.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

He thought we literally project words onto reality (part of his "eyes are not a sense organ" thing) and therefore are conditioned to think "beautiful" to be an objectively real thing, rather than a subjective descriptor.

Which, of course, is complete bullshit.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

In reality, Eskimos do not have an inordinate amount of words for snow. Just FYI.
LadyShea (03-29-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy