Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
okay. sweet. let's turn this into a religion ourselves then. I suggest that the legally blind become the new leaders of the "free" world, having already shunned their eyes and realized the illusion that they are organs.

The time stamps on the forum should be good enough proof of authorship and the proceeds of the result can go to freethought-forum.com

A Koan is a specific tool to move a student toward enlightenment, and each is specific to a student. What is your's, I'm just curious. I don't think I've found mine yet, but I like this "Some things Daddy's can't fix, even with duct tape".
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
okay. sweet. let's turn this into a religion ourselves then. I suggest that the legally blind become the new leaders of the "free" world, having already shunned their eyes and realized the illusion that they are organs.

The time stamps on the forum should be good enough proof of authorship and the proceeds of the result can go to freethought-forum.com

A Koan is a specific tool to move a student toward enlightenment, and each is specific to a student. What is your's, I'm just curious. I don't think I've found mine yet, but I like this "Some things Daddy's can't fix, even with duct tape".
I am my own koan. When I figure out the question I will sell it to you.

- Albert Camus
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
@peacegirl if you want to be the compiler/editor, you need to listen to where the helpful people of this thread are telling you there are problems. That you don't see the problem is entirely NOT the point. You are so obsessed with it you aren't seeing it clearly... that's where we come in. If we tell you it reads that way, it actually reads that way. You need to fix it.
Peacegirl could never bring herself to edit the holey text. Except for when she does. And then forgets about it. Then gets reminded. And then lies about it. But on the above note, here's a relevant comment from Popper - a lesson which neither Lessans nor his daughter appear to have learned:

"I also learned never to defend anything I had written against the accusation that it is not clear enough. If a conscientious reader finds a passage unclear, it has to be rewritten."
But (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Lying weasel, why are you avoiding acknowledging the fact that sometime between 2006 and 2010 you added the words "other than light" to the passage about eyes, changing the entire meaning of Lessans words? Are you going to pay the 100.00 you bet to No Kid Hungry? Why did you make the bet if you have no intention of paying?

Do you still maintain that you never evade or lie?
Quote:
I was not lying LadyShea. What the hell are you talking about? I did not add those words. I already showed you where he wrote that passage.
I DO NOT LIE LADYSHEA. I WANT AN APOLOGY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Why weren't the words there in the first version?
Quote:
Because I missed it when compiling the book, that's why.
Quote:
How could you miss it? You had every other word in the passage but somehow missed a nonsensical insertion in the middle of a sentence? And you expect us to believe you "found it" only after people convinced you that light struck the optic nerve?
What nonsensical assertion? That light strikes the optic nerve? The truth is I missed it in his other book.

Quote:
How many times do I have to say that I didn't add anything to the book other than some examples to help clarify the concepts. I feel like I'm on trial. :(
Quote:
Did you add the fake dialog ("Oh look, here comes a Rabbi!*")?
No, that was the dialogue he wrote, and he did have an actual discussion with a rabbi. He also had a discussion with a pastor. He had discussions with professors also. He talked to Will Durant on the phone. He also talked to my friend Dave who went to an expo and saw a sign that read, "Come inside and see why the eyes are not a sense organ." He didn't make these things up. His earlier book was in prose but I liked the dialogue format because I thought it was much easier to grasp the principles, so that's what I used in the compilation.

Quote:
Did you add the line about homosexual relationships "naturally" declining in a no blame environment?
I did write that, but it was not not politically correct, so I took it out. I admit where I made additions but I did not change the basic concepts. I have been very forthcoming that I added examples, but that's all I did.

Quote:
[/I]Did you add the "Trillions upon trillions" of babies being born line?
He wrote that but it was just an advertisement. It wasn't in the book. And even if he was wrong about trillions, he may not have been as exact as he was about his basic and unnegotiable observations because they were spot on. You are trying to use these trivialities to have him discredited. But you can't do it LadyShea no matter hard you try. You bring extraneous things into the conversation as if this somehow invalidates his discovery. It does no such thing. Yes, he was human. Yes, he used molecules instead of photons. Yes, he said trillions instead of millions. But again this does not make his observations inaccurate.

Quote:
What are those examples of?
What are you implying?

Quote:
Did you add the plagiarized page of unverified quotes from doctors?
I did not plagiarize LadyShea. It was fair use, and I'm very comfortable with what I added as examples.

Quote:
What was that an example of?
It was my way (which I have a right to as his daughter; and he wasn't worried in the least that I would screw his writing up) of clarifying certain concepts.

Quote:
Did you change the word molecules to photons after you became convinced that it was the completely wrong word?
Yes, because he is being tarred and feathered for using that one word (he was not in that field), and because of it his observations are being ignored? Talk about narrow minded. :( You are, once again, finding trivialities because your goal is to discredit him. It's so obvious.

Quote:
What is that an example of?

*One of my favorite things I've ever read
This has to be a joke because you can't actually think that the things you're accusing me of changes the actual discovery. You're grasping at any straw you can get hold of because you want to be right in the worst way. You want to be the one that brings Lessans down. But you can't LadyShea because he's not wrong. :chin:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-04-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
I was not lying LadyShea. What the hell are you talking about? I did not add those words. I already showed you where he wrote that passage.
LadyShea does not owe you an apology. She was right. You owe her $100. The quote you gave showed Lessans using the phrase "other than light" in a different context and with a different meaning to the passage where you inserted those words yourself.
LadyShea (08-21-2014)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You know what, even there were afferent nerve endings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Are you finally admitting that what he wrote was wrong? Yes, or No?
No, I don't have to. All I know is that the brain and eyes work differently than what science has stated. That's enough for me.
Faith is enough for you, good luck getting the whole world to adhere to your unsupported beliefs.
I pray that people do not think like you LadyShea because in your effort to be a good scientist, you are missing the boat entirely. It such an unfortunate irony.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lying weasel, why are you avoiding acknowledging the fact that sometime between 2006 and 2010 you added the words "other than light" to the passage about eyes, changing the entire meaning of Lessans words? Are you going to pay the 100.00 you bet to No Kid Hungry? Why did you make the bet if you have no intention of paying?

Do you still maintain that you never evade or lie?
Where did you show me? The words "other than light" were NOT in the passage in 2003, nor in 2006. They don't appear until 2010. Where did they come from? Who added them if not you?

Liar.
I added this comment because I found it in his book, dam it. I'm sick of you calling me a liar LadyShea. :sadcheer:
Which book did you find it in? When was it written? Is it one of the ones that has been published? When did you find it, and how?

I do not believe for a single second that you found it. You did it trying to correct his deep misunderstanding.

If you don't like being called a liar, stop lying.
I do not care what you believe LadyShea. I know that it was in one of his books, and I can find it again in one of his books, but I'm not going through all that right now just to prove to you that I'm not a liar. You can believe whatever you want. Like I said, I really don't care.
Of course you care. You get very upset every time I call you on one of your lies.
I don't like being called a liar. I really don't care what you think even though I don't like being labeled something I'm not. My conscience is clear. You need to apologize.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I don't like being called a liar.
Then stop telling porkies, little miss pants on fire.
LadyShea (08-21-2014)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Now you're playing games with me, and I'm really not in the mood.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Now you're playing games with me, and I'm really not in the mood.
No games. If you don't want to be called a liar, then you need to stop lying.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I am my own koan. When I figure out the question I will sell it to you.

The point of a koan is not to figure out the answer, there usually isn't one. The point is to so occupy your mind that it allows you to receive enlightenment.

Many years ago I read that we are all enlightened but most just don't know it. So I figured that if I'm already enlightened and just don't know it, I'll skip all the hard work and play with my grandchildren.

I think, in a way, I do have a Koan but it's a bit unusual. I have the puzzle 'Tower of Brahma', and working it has the same effect as a Koan. Mine has nine disks, and I made it myself out of oak. I could make another one and sell it to you.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Did you change the word molecules to photons after you became convinced that it was the completely wrong word?
Yes, because he is being tarred and feathered for using that one word (he was not in that field), and because of it his observations are being ignored?

Yes, 'he was not in that field', yet he made sweeping claims about it, out of ignorance, that were wrong, and you wonder why people would ignore what he writes.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?

When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.

By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?

Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?

The question is, did Lessns negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?

Also see below a post you never responded to

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.

Do you admit he was wrong?
Quote:
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....
because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
He never said that the eye didn't contain receptors.
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.

Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.
Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words

Quote:
Quote:
Explain what Lessans thought was the difference between the sense and the eye, using ONLY LESSANS WORDS and not your additions
Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?

Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.

Quote:
Oh my god, what additions? I added a few examples that I was very honest about.
You added the words "Other than light" which changed the whole meaning of Lessans explanation.
Also, my conscience is clear too. I have no need to apologize.

Last edited by LadyShea; 11-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LadyShea does not owe you an apology. She was right. You owe her $100. The quote you gave showed Lessans using the phrase "other than light" in a different context and with a different meaning to the passage where you inserted those words yourself.
What is the different meaning or context in these two sentences when they are almost identical and written in the same passage?

But this is a
wholly fallacious observation where the eyes are concerned because
nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic
nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

In fact,
it can be demonstrated at the birth of a child that the eyes are not a
sense organ when it can be seen that no object, other than light, is
capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is
impinging on the optic nerve to cause it, although any number of
sounds, tastes, touches or smells can get an immediate reaction since
the nerve endings are being struck by something external.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?
No, you missed the entire point he was making.

Quote:
When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.
Light is something from the external world, so he had to qualify what he meant by saying "other than light." But the light does not carry information through space/time.

Quote:
By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world... Light is from the external world but it does not travel through space/time with any information from a previous event or object. He was totally correct in saying "other than light." This does not mean that it's like the other sense organs.

Quote:
Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?
You don't know what in the world you're talking about. LadyShea, you are putting your foot in your mouth. You think you caught him in a mistake, but you failed again! :glare:

Quote:
The question is, did Lessns negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).

Quote:
Also see below a post you never responded to

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.
I answered this.

Quote:
Do you admit he was wrong?
No. In fact, I am more convinced he is right than ever.

Quote:
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
He said nothing about receptors. He was talking about the optic nerve. He was right when he said nothing, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. That means that light does not bounce off of objects and travel through space/time where it would be received and interpreted by the brain as an image.

Quote:
He never said that the eye didn't contain receptors.
Quote:
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.
I'm not going to argue with you because you think you caught him in a mistake. I think he's right and empirical evidence will bear this out one day.

Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Quote:
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

His book says, other than light, so why are you accusing him of not putting this in his book? What is your problem LadyShea? You're no Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
Quote:
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words
I did not add words, dam it. Why do you keep accusing me of this?

Quote:
Explain what Lessans thought was the difference between the sense and the eye, using ONLY LESSANS WORDS and not your additions
That was not my addition.

Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
Quote:
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?
Don't play these games with me. You know full well that scientists believe that if we were far enough away and in the right location, we would see a past event as far back as Columbus discovering America. This means light, according to their logic, is traveling with the frequency and wavelength that would turn up as a past image in the brain, a mirror, or on film. However you want to phrase it, that's what they believe. Use your own phrasing if you want, but don't tell me this is a strawman. It is not.

Quote:
Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.

Quote:
Oh my god, what additions? I added a few examples that I was very honest about.
You added the words "Other than light" which changed the whole meaning of Lessans explanation.
Quote:
Also, my conscience is clear too. I have no need to apologize.
You're the liar LadyShea for accusing me of something I didn't do. You've crossed the line.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
@peacegirl if you want to be the compiler/editor, you need to listen to where the helpful people of this thread are telling you there are problems. That you don't see the problem is entirely NOT the point. You are so obsessed with it you aren't seeing it clearly... that's where we come in. If we tell you it reads that way, it actually reads that way. You need to fix it.
Peacegirl could never bring herself to edit the holey text. Except for when she does. And then forgets about it. Then gets reminded. And then lies about it. But on the above note, here's a relevant comment from Popper - a lesson which neither Lessans nor his daughter appear to have learned:

"I also learned never to defend anything I had written against the accusation that it is not clear enough. If a conscientious reader finds a passage unclear, it has to be rewritten."
I very much doubt that she possess the sanity to tell the difference between what she has written and what Lessans originally wrote. Even if the original texts are available to her. As anyone can see on this very thread, anything she posted in the past no longer exists as far as she is concerned, even if it clearly shows that she has fabricated some of what she attributes to Lessans.

What I don't understand is how people continue to rehash her obvious mental problems when it is clear that it doesn't change her mind one little bit. Are they hoping for a miracle?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What is the different meaning or context in these two sentences when they are almost identical and written in the same passage?

But this is a

In fact,
Are you not even reading the thread? I already explained this in post #21242:

That provides a completely different meaning to where you have inserted this phrase. Here it means that light can get a reaction without impinging on the optic nerve, whereas in the context where you have inserted these words it says that light is the only thing which does impinge on the optic nerve. You owe LadyShea $100.

Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world...
Why the ellipsis? What comes next? Lessans never said that light is something from the external world which strikes the optic nerve. That was your addition. Lessans was quite clear in claiming that nothing at all strikes any afferent receptors in the eye, and that only light can get a reaction from the eyes. That light is something from the external world which strikes receptors in the eyes is not something Lessans believed. It is something you added to the book yourself.

Quote:
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).
Can you remember how many times you've been told not to speak of the wavelengths/frequencies of objects (because there is no such thing)? And traveling light does carry information. This is a simple fact of physics which has been explained to you repeatedly. Objects absorb light. Different objects absorb different parts of the spectrum but reflect the rest. Therefore the light traveling away from a red object will be different from the light traveling away from a blue object. The traveling light therefore contains information about where it has been. The light is the information, and as pinhole cameras show, this light alone is more than enough to create an image.
Angakuk (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

And there should be an addendum. To accuse someone of not being clear enough before they have actually made the effort to understand what is being written, is foolhardy and unwarranted.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM

[quote=peacegirl;1093813]
Quote:
Quote:

But this is a

In fact,
Quote:

That provides a completely different meaning to where you have inserted this phrase. Here it means that light can get a reaction without impinging on the optic nerve, whereas in the context where you have inserted these words it says that light is the only thing which does impinge on the optic nerve. You owe LadyShea $100.
I am not sure what you're talking about. I have to find post #21242.

Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world...
Quote:
Why the ellipsis? What comes next? Lessans never said that light is something from the external world which strikes the optic nerve.
It was implied Spacemonkey. Nothing from the external world, OTHER THAN LIGHT...

Quote:
That was your addition. Lessans was quite clear in claiming that nothing at all strikes any afferent receptors in the eye, and that only light can get a reaction from the eyes.
That is not what he said. He said light does strike the optic nerve. He did not say that only light can get a reaction from the eyes. He said the pupils contract and dilate depending on how much light enters.

[quote="Spacemonkey"]That light is something from the external world which strikes receptors in the eyes is not something Lessans believed. It is something you added to the book yourself.[/quote

He didn't use the words "receptors". He used "optic nerve". And he said that nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. And I did not add this to the book. You can believe what you want, I don't care.

Quote:
Quote:
Can you remember how many times you've been told not to speak of the wavelengths/frequencies of objects (because there is no such thing)?
Where did I say wavelenths/frequencies of objects? I said light traveling away or bouncing off of objects does not contain information and frequencies that travel through space/time.

Quote:
And traveling light does carry information. This is a simple fact of physics which has been explained to you repeatedly. Objects absorb light. Different objects absorb different parts of the spectrum but reflect the rest. Therefore the light traveling away from a red object will be different from the light traveling away from a blue object. The traveling light therefore contains information about where it has been. The light is the information, and as pinhole cameras show, this light alone is more than enough to create an image.
But a pinhole camera is within the field of view of the object. You still don't get it.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
puzzler

Quote:
And there should be an addendum. To accuse someone of not being clear enough before they have actually made the effort to understand what is being written, is foolhardy and unwarranted.
The only time you'll think they made the effort to understand what was written is if they agree with it all.

Stretch your imagination and try to at least admit the possibility that someone might carefully read the whole book and yet still disagree with it!
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
No, there should not be any addendum. His point is perfectly clear as it stands.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I just quoted it to you, Peacegirl. :facepalm:

Quote:
It was implied Spacemonkey. Nothing from the external world, OTHER THAN LIGHT...
Again, why the ellipsis? What comes next? Hint: It is something different in the passage where he used the words than where you inserted them.

Quote:
That is not what he said. He said light does strike the optic nerve. He did not say that only light can get a reaction from the eyes.
Yes he did. That is exactly what he said: "...no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes..."

Quote:
And he said that nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve.
No, he didn't. He never said that. YOU are the only one who said that by adding words to the text.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you remember how many times you've been told not to speak of the wavelengths/frequencies of objects (because there is no such thing)?
Where did I say wavelenths/frequencies of objects? I said light traveling away or bouncing off of objects does not contain information and frequencies that travel through space/time.
Have you ever considered reading what you are replying to? Look at the bold parts above.

Quote:
But a pinhole camera is within the field of view of the object...
...and can create an image purely from the information content of the light - information which you just claimed does not exist.
Angakuk (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I missed it somehow. It was difficult combining these books. Actually, I did find one passage in a book that I didn't use that often. It was written in 1969 entitled "View From the Mountain Top" in honor of Martin Luther King.

p. 41 It can be easily demonstrated at the birth of a baby that the eyes are not a sense organ when it can be seen that no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from them because absolutely nothing is impinging on the optic nerve, although any number of sounds, tastes, touches or smells can get an immediate reaction because the nerve endings are being struck by something external.
He wrote both of those phrases. What he meant was that nothing (other than light) can get a reaction. He did not mean that you can get a reaction without light impinging on the optic nerve. He said "no object" meaning the image, the frequency, the wavelength, etc.

...that no object, other than light (he was distinguishing between light that scientists believe contains information about an object, and light itself, which causes the pupils to dilate and contract.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I just quoted it to you, Peacegirl. :facepalm:
I read both quotes carefully and they express exactly what was intended, and they both mean the same thing. He did not say that no light impinges on the optic nerve. He said that when a baby is born there is no response to objects in the room even though light is causing the pupils to dilate and contract.

Quote:
Quote:
Again, why the ellipsis? What comes next? Hint: It is something different in the passage where he used the words than where you inserted them.
No, I just didn't feel like typing the whole sentence.

Quote:
That is not what he said. He said light does strike the optic nerve. He did not say that only light can get a reaction from the eyes.
Quote:
Yes he did. That is exactly what he said: "...no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes..."
Actually that's true. The eyes do react to light, but they don't react to the object.

Quote:
And he said that nothing from the external world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve.
No, he didn't. He never said that. YOU are the only one who said that by adding words to the text.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you ever considered reading what you are replying to? Look at the bold parts above.
Whatever. You know what I meant.

Quote:
But a pinhole camera is within the field of view of the object...
Quote:
...and can create an image purely from the information content of the light - information which you just claimed does not exist.
I've never denied that. It's the same image that forms on the retina. That's a fact.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
He wrote both of those phrases.
Yes, we know that. But only one of them originally had the words "other than light". You added them to the other, but not in a way in which it would say the same thing.

Quote:
What he meant was that nothing (other than light) can get a reaction.
Yes, that's what he said, and it is quite different from what you made him say by adding "other than light" to the second passage.

Quote:
He did not mean that you can get a reaction without light impinging on the optic nerve. He said "no object" meaning the image, the frequency, the wavelength, etc.
You don't know what he meant. You are now trying to reinterpret him to justify your botched editing. Lessans never indicated that he believed light impinged on the receptors in the eye. In fact, he flat out denied that this was the case - until you edited his words to say otherwise.

Quote:
...that no object, other than light (he was distinguishing between light that scientists believe has information about an object, and light itself, which does not have information about an object unless it's within your visual range.
There go those rocket-powered goal posts again. Learn some basic optics. And also some basic grammar while you're at it.
Angakuk (11-05-2012), LadyShea (11-05-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy