Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Let's see what happens when other variables are carefully added Lone Ranger. This is exactly why you have tuned me out which is really unfortunate considering that if all scientists are just like you, it might just take another 3000 years for this knowledge to be validated and world peace to become a reality.
You're exactly 180 degrees off there. Your problem is precisely that I haven't tuned out, and I have given your claims and ideas serious consideration. You just don't like the results. After all, your claims and ideas have been tested -- many, many, many times, and in many, many different ways. Reality is a bitch, as they say.
Reality is not a bitch as long as it's reality, but when we think something is reality when it's not, it is more than a real bitch, it actually sets us back because we wouldn't know the truth if it was staring us in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
But do feel free to complain about how the entire Universe is one big conspiracy to disguise the fact that Lessans was correct.
This is not about a conspiracy against Lessans. I know that all the tests seem to support the idea that we don't see in real time, but you need consider the possibility that this claim might be valid or you will not be living up to the name "scientist". Isn't a scientist supposed to be open minded? Are you telling me that there is absolutely no possibility that he could be right about this? If you are, then you have closed your mind off. You obviously don't want him to be right because you somehow think this would change the world as we know it. It does no such thing. We still keep GPS systems; we still keep fiber optics; we still keep all the technologies that work due to light. And, by the way, our world would not burn up and the sky would not be all white. So the conception that seeing in real time would make our world unlivable is absolutely wrong.
Classic woo-woo defense, "scientists need to have an open mind" even though all the evidence points to the fact that Lessans is wrong.
Don't you see what you're doing? You're automatically putting me in the category of "woo" just because these people are using the same phraseology as I am. But if Lessans is right, then by calling me a "woo" is actually preventing this knowledge from being taken seriously. I know that this group's skepticism has already done its damage. You've all made up your minds. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone actually reads the book.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone actually reads the book.

Without too much fear of contradiction, I would say we (on this forum, posting on this thread) have read the book, why would we want to read it again?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Don't you see what you're doing? You're automatically putting me in the category of "woo" just because these people are using the same phraseology as I am. But if Lessans is right, then by calling me a "woo" is actually preventing this knowledge from being taken seriously. I know that this group's skepticism has already done its damage. You've all made up your minds. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone actually reads the book.
I'm putting you in the category of "woo" because the things you believe in are not supported by the evidence. In that sense, you're just as bad as a Creationist, or a flat-Earther.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), Vivisectus (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm putting you in the category of "woo" because the things you believe in are not supported by the evidence. In that sense, you're just as bad as a Creationist, or a flat-Earther.
I know there's nothing that will change your mind, so believe what you want. Just know that you have no idea what his discovery is, let alone understand why it's not a tautology when he says man's will is not free.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
You are such a good talker that even I would be convinced to buy an igloo from an eskimo if you were the salesman. :(

You are a total contradiction, and I don't trust what you're saying about your desire for my well-being with a ten foot pole, and neither should anyone else.
I've never contradicted myself here, whereas you do so in virtually every post you make. Like I said, obviously it is easier for you to tell yourself that our legitimate concern for your mental health is insincere, than to face up to the reality that your own behavior consistently and without exception convinces other people that you are unwell.

Quote:
This response is what I call wasted time. If you don't a sincere question, then please leave this thread, or you are the one that will look foolish.

I will try to answer questions related to the book. I will not get off track and answer questions that have absolutely no relevance. You are not going to corner me with junk responses to try to weedle your way out of taking responsibility for your own mistaken conclusions regardling compatibilism.
I just presented you with two sincere questions related to the book. You proved yet again that you will not try to answer such questions, but will instead weasel, evade, and ignore such questions because you know you have no rational answers. You haven't demonstrated any mistaken conclusions on my part regarding compatibilism. You still don't seem to understand it at all.

Quote:
As I have asked you many times, if you believe that I'm nuts, why are you here? You cannot give a rational answer which makes me think that you are the one that's nuts.
There's your memory impairment playing up again. I've told you repeatedly why I am here. YOU are the one with no rational answer to that question. As I said, you are compelled to stay here to discuss his book, with people who are convinced that you are nuts, demanding intelligent questions which you lack the capacity to rationally address.

Quote:
It is YOU who is contradicting yourself when you tell me that we can have free will and no free will at the same time. You think this is perfect reasoning because there are people who have legitimized this theory, and they are considered the cream of the crop. This is so misconstrued that I can't even begin to understand how someone who has a smigeon of intelligence would not question the validity of this position. :(
I've never once told you that we can have free will and no free will at the same time. That is your own retarded strawman, which I have repeatedly corrected. You are asking me to question a position you don't even understand, and insulting me by suggesting that I have accepted it only because it has been validated by other philosophers. Like I said, there's really no point continuing discussion, as you lack the capacity to comprehend what you are replying to, along with the ability to think in any terms other than complete concordance with your father's claims, and continued debate only feeds your delusion. You want to continue discussion, and manage to convince yourself that you're doing well, even when in reality you can't go more than a post without directly contradicting your own words, misreading what you are replying to, or even arguing with your own previous words. 'Debate' with you is a joke. You need help.
Angakuk (10-18-2012), Stephen Maturin (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Um, because of the fact that the entire point of the experiment is that someone actually looks through the rotating slit to determine through direct observation whether or not we see in real time?

It's not complicated. If we saw in "real time," no matter how fast the plate was spun, the observer would always be able to see the reflected image in "real time," and the calculated speed of light would be "infinite."

That's most-definitely not what happens. When you do the actual experiment, it demonstrates quite clearly that there is a measureable delay in seeing, imposed by the limited speed of light. We can and do measure the time-delay between something happening and our seeing it here on Earth. Astronomical observations are just icing on the cake, because the great distances involved mean that the delays are much longer, and therefore more consequential.
That makes sense. You can't see light if it hasn't gotten here yet, or if it's being blocked because of it's finite speed. But again this has nothing to do with seeing images of past objects in the light itself. In other words, I would never ever see an image of Columbus discovery America even if I was in the right place at the estimated right time because there is no image of this person traveling through space and time.
Hurray! We are back on the really, really idiotic stuff! And I see already we have images travelling (lol) and apparently we see light the normal way, but we see images directly!

Which is amazing, as this means that we should see the light reflecting off the moons of Jupiter somewhere different from where we see Jupiter itself. After all, the light needs quite some time to get here, but the image of Jupiter's moon does not. It should have moved on quite a bit before the reflected light reaches us.

Quick empirical test: does this happen? Result: Of course not.

The light reaches us at the same time as the image every time. Almost as if... images do not travel, but are merely light received by a suitable receptor and interpreted as an image!

Oh dear. And it is empirical and everything.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), Kael (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), Stephen Maturin (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
But again this has nothing to do with seeing images of past objects in the light itself. In other words, I would never ever see an image of Columbus discovery America even if I was in the right place at the estimated right time because there is no image of this person traveling through space and time.
Well actually the light (Provided it wasn't clouded over that day) from Columbus landing in America is still traveling out through space, and if you were out far enough and had a large enough lens or mirror you could focus an image of Columbus setting foot on the 'New World'. So in a sense the image is in the light, but the light needs to be collected and focused to reveal that image, and you would still find light that would be of a particular wavelength of a corrosponding color, only a little of it would be white.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

So, in peacegirl's mind, the mark of a good scientist is that (s)he disregards all experimental evidence which does not conform to his/her preconceived notions of what the results of those experiments "should be."
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), Kael (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), Pan Narrans (10-18-2012), Stephen Maturin (10-18-2012), thedoc (10-18-2012), Vivisectus (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Peacegirl saying that an image does not travel in the light is very misleading, it seems that she thinks that each photon is a little picture of the whole image. In truth each photon is of a particular color (frequency) and is in a particular position in relation to all the other photons so that it forms one very tiny pixel of the overall image. Just like a TV or computer screen. Did you ever look clocely at a picture in a News Paper, they use relatively large screen so the dots can easily be seen, naked eye or with a little magnification. Each dot can be thought of as a pixel that makes up the whole picture. In a color photo you will see 4 little dots (Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, Black) of different colors that make up the picture. A more in depth look here,

Color printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, my wife worked in a printing shop where they did this, and I taught printing in JR, HS.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
So, in peacegirl's mind, the mark of a good scientist is that (s)he disregards all experimental evidence which does not conform to his/her preconceived notions of what the results of those experiments "should be."

This is not news, really, if you are just now comeing to that conclusion, you are really slow on the uptake.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

No, I just like pointing that out once in awhile. She needs to be reminded from time to time of her hypocrisy, and that no one is buying her bs.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), thedoc (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
You are accepting compatibilism because you believe it resolves the conflict, but how can we have free will and no free will at the same time. You're giving special allowances for human behavior, which is certainly not scientific. It's is a complete contradiction. You want this to be true so punishment can be justified, which you believe is necessary in preventing these type of behaviors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
Why should punishment have to be justified? It is inevitable that those who have both the power and the desire to punish will punish. Only be inflicting punishment can they move in the direction of their greatest satisfaction. It is an indisputable fact that no justification is required, for in regard to this their wills are not free. This has been determined with mathmatical certainty.
It has not been determined by mathematical certainty. Blame and punishment are based, whether consciously or unconsciously, that this person could have done differently. The minute you say, "Why did you do that," you're blaming. If you knew that a person could not have chosen otherwise, could you really blame him for what he had no choice in doing? Would you blame someone for having a broken arm? We know that if someone wants something badly enough all the threats of punishment in the world will never stop someone who wants something badly enough, even at the risk of prison or the death penalty. So as far as being a deterrent, yes, threats of punishment can, in some cases, change a person's actions, but it usually takes more than this. It takes understanding and nurturing for a person to change his heart.

Quote:
The need to punish has very little to do with preventing harm. The need to punish is driven by individual internal processes that can only be satisfied by inflicting punishment on others.
You're talking about an emotional issue, not a legal one. There are many reasons why people need to have this control but you can't separate out the mental processes going on until we raise children in a world where they are not hurt. By the time someone gets to this point, there's no telling the kinds of abuses he has had to deal with on a daily basis. That goes for all kinds of unfair treatment at home and in society at large.

Quote:
The connection between punishment and justice is a smoke screen designed to conceal the naked savagery that drives punishment. This has been demonstrated with scientific certainty.
We're talking about two different things. You are assuming people express savagery for no reason, but children are not born savages. They may go through the "me" stage, or even be mischievous as children often are, but they are not born bad seeds.

Quote:
Again, conscience is here to serve one purpose and one purpose only: to allow or disallow certain actions based on whether or not they are justifiable.
Quote:
This just shows how confused both you and Lessans are. The sole purpose of conscience is to make people feel guilty and miserable. This indisputable fact has been determined with mathmatical certainty.
Quote:
Are you saying that conscience serves no purpose; that we should not contemplate the guilt and misery we would feel if we hurt someone without justification?
Quote:
That is not at all what I said. The purpose of conscience is to make people feel guilty. The purpose of guilt is to make people feel miserable. Misery is an end unto itself and requires no other pupose. I know this with absolute scientific and mathmatical certainty as a result of nearly 60 years of astute observation of the human condition. I have read The Hobbit and the The Lord of the Rings at least six times. I can't begin to tell you how many copies of Catcher in the Rye I have worn out over the years. Not to mention the number of performances of "Our Town" I have attended.
Your astute observation is not valid where Lessans' observation is. All observations are not equal, sorry. :P The purpose of conscience is to either allow a person to follow through with actions that could hurt someone, or not to allow a person to follow through with what he knows could be a hurt to someone. What determines whether their conscience allows him to hurt others is whether he has already been hurt which justifies what he is about to do. What also allows conscience to permit hurting others is the belief behind the action. If I believe a group of people are responsible for the world's problems --- even if it's not true but it's what I was taught --- I will feel justified in retaliating, and conscience will permit me to do any number of things to get back.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
So peacegirl, how do we tell whose 'astute observations' are 'valid'?

I think Ang's astute ovservations are much more 'valid' than Lessans'.
I believe that if you carefully studied the book you would see that the "greater satisfaction" principle and its corollary (that nothing can make man do anything against his will) is absolutely undeniable and are the foundational principles on which the two-sided equation is based. He saw patterns in human behavior that other people missed, and these are universal principles. He did not sample a few people and then generalized like so many people are suggesting. Many people I have talked to don't refute, or have a problem, with the fact that we move in the direction of greater satisfaction which renders only one choice possible at each and every moment of time. They just didn't understand the importance of this fact.
Peacegirl, if you can't even give me the benefit of the doubt and agree that my observations are spot on and that I am able to see patterns and relations that others have missed, then there is no way that you are ever going to be able to understand my arguments and we won't be able to move on from here. The thing is I know you have the intellect to understand this but you won't even try because you are blinded by your desire for me to be wrong. It is really quite sad because you won't be the only loser. You will end up ruining it for everyone else if they blindly follow your lead. It is all very frustrating.
Dragar (10-18-2012), Kael (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), Pan Narrans (10-18-2012), Spacemonkey (10-18-2012), Stephen Maturin (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012), Vivisectus (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I think Ang went to a people-bothering-school, but whatever.
It didn't have to go to school for that. I have a natural talent.
Crumb (10-18-2012), Dragar (10-18-2012), thedoc (10-18-2012), Vivisectus (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
You are such a good talker that even I would be convinced to buy an igloo from an eskimo if you were the salesman. :(

You are a total contradiction, and I don't trust what you're saying about your desire for my well-being with a ten foot pole, and neither should anyone else.
That's two more for the list.

No matter how hard she tries she just can't see the trees for the forest.
Spacemonkey (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
You want to continue discussion, and manage to convince yourself that you're doing well, even when in reality you can't go more than a post without directly contradicting your own words, misreading what you are replying to, or even arguing with your own previous words. 'Debate' with you is a joke. You need help.
Perhaps we can hook her up with one of the presidential debate coaches.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Peacegirl, if you can't even give me the benefit of the doubt and agree that my observations are spot on and that I am able to see patterns and relations that others have missed, then there is no way that you are ever going to be able to understand my arguments and we won't be able to move on from here. The thing is I know you have the intellect to understand this but you won't even try because you are blinded by your desire for me to be wrong. It is really quite sad because you won't be the only loser. You will end up ruining it for everyone else if they blindly follow your lead. It is all very frustrating.
Frustrating indeed. Looks like we've gotta go back to Square One. :sadcheer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
No matter how hard she tries she just can't see the trees for the forest pudding.
:fixed:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Square One.
Interesting TV show, I had most of the Mathnet episodes on tape. I especially liked Kate Monday on the one episode where she was wearing tight jeans.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So peacegirl, how do we tell whose 'astute observations' are 'valid'?

I think Ang's astute ovservations are much more 'valid' than Lessans'.
I believe that if you carefully studied the book you would see that the "greater satisfaction" principle and its corollary (that nothing can make man do anything against his will) is absolutely undeniable and are the foundational principles on which the two-sided equation is based. He saw patterns in human behavior that other people missed, and these are universal principles. He did not sample a few people and then generalized like so many people are suggesting. Many people I have talked to don't refute, or have a problem, with the fact that we move in the direction of greater satisfaction which renders only one choice possible at each and every moment of time. They just didn't understand the importance of this fact.
I believe if you carefully studied Ang's posts, you'd see his astute observations are correct. He sees things other people miss. You just haven't studied his posts hard enough.

Anyway, as usual you weasled out of answering a straightforward question: how do we tell whose "astute observations" are correct?
All I can tell you is to study the book and wait for empirical testing to prove whether he is right or wrong.
So once again you admit there's no reason to believe Lessans, or believe anything he says will ever be shown correct.

And you have no response to the mountains of evidence disproving Lessans.

So why are you trying to sell this stuff when there is no more reason to believe it than any other whoo? And plenty of good reason to say it is wrong? You're peddling crackpottery, and you are lying when you deny it.

I had a lot more sympathy for you before you started to have a financial motive.
Angakuk (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), specious_reasons (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know there's nothing that will change your mind, so believe what you want. Just know that you have no idea what his discovery is, let alone understand why it's not a tautology when he says man's will is not free.
Oh, I pretty firmly believe that man's will is not free. I just don't accept Lessans book as valid proof of the concept, or find Lessans other ideas very useful.

My mind is pretty flexible when it comes to accepting new ideas that are based in facts and evidence.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Don't you see what you're doing? You're automatically putting Scientology in the category of "cult" just because it's adherents are using the same phraseology as other cults. But if L Ron Hubbard is right, then by calling it a "cult" is actually preventing his knowledge from being taken seriously. Your skepticism has already done its damage.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), But (10-18-2012), Spacemonkey (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I had a lot more sympathy for you before you started to have a financial motive.
She told us a while ago that she spent all of her savings on previous editing/formatting etc. This is another round of paid for stuff. She hopes to recoup her losses...which to me indicates she is chasing sunk costs and so will be more determined than ever to not let facts get in the way.
Thanks, from:
But (10-18-2012), Dragar (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
I've never contradicted myself here, whereas you do so in virtually every post you make.
You have definitely 100% contradicted yourself Spacemonkey. Please don't hide behind the label of "compatibilism" to support your conclusions.

Quote:
Like I said, obviously it is easier for you to tell yourself that our legitimate concern for your mental health is insincere, than to face up to the reality that your own behavior consistently and without exception convinces other people that you are unwell.
You are a joke, okay? I'm not even talking to you if this is the kind of junk you're spewing. Get off your high dam horse Spacmeonkey and face the facts that you have no idea what this discovery is about.

Quote:
This response is what I call wasted time. If you don't a sincere question, then please leave this thread, or you are the one that will look foolish.

I will try to answer questions related to the book. I will not get off track and answer questions that have absolutely no relevance. You are not going to corner me with junk responses to try to weedle your way out of taking responsibility for your own mistaken conclusions regardling compatibilism.
Quote:
I just presented you with two sincere questions related to the book. You proved yet again that you will not try to answer such questions, but will instead weasel, evade, and ignore such questions because you know you have no rational answers. You haven't demonstrated any mistaken conclusions on my part regarding compatibilism. You still don't seem to understand it at all.
No, you're wrong again, no surprise. Of course I have not demonstrated why compatibilism, although well-intentioned, is totally wrong. You won't give me a dam CHANCE. You attack me every chance you get. How can I ever explain his knowledge with the kind of venom that you are spewing Spacemonkey, just because I'm showing you that your worldview needs adjustment. :( I have answered all questions. I evade nothing. I have made a concerted effort to try to explain what this knowledge is about but I am pushed back by lies about myself and Lessans.

to be cont....

Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
No, I just like pointing that out once in awhile. She needs to be reminded from time to time of her hypocrisy, and that no one is buying her bs.

Your advice, 'droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.'
Unfortunately in this case Peacegirl is a duck and the water of advice just rolls off her back, and she, by not taking, is not blest.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Don't you see what you're doing? You're automatically putting Scientology in the category of "cult" just because it's adherents are using the same phraseology as other cults. But if L Ron Hubbard is right, then by calling it a "cult" is actually preventing his knowledge from being taken seriously. Your skepticism has already done its damage.
These conclusions that bring about such distorted views are not surprising given the vulnerability of those who are destitute and suffering, to your advantage. You cannot put the perception of what Lessans saw (whether you believe it off the bat or not), in the same category. You can't Ladyshea. I'm hoping that you will let your guard down enough to study this work IN EARNEST. You are so skeptical (which is understandable but nevertheless is a HUGE stumbling block to bringing this knowledge to light), that I don't know how to break through this sound barrier of total ignorance and denial. You will continue to believe you're right; never read the book with the intention of giving him the benefit of the doubt, and therefore you will conclude that he was no different than all of the new agers who also accused the scientific community of the same thing. Do you not see the problem I am faced with? :sadcheer:

Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I think it is rather the lack of evidence that keeps people from being convinced. The book just does not make a very strong case for it's ideas... or any case at all. Why should we believe conscience works the way the book says it does?

It is central to the entire system that it does. Don't you think it would be rather important to include some evidence, or at least some sort of case for believing it to work like that? In the book, there is merely the claim THAT it works that way.

Why do you expect people to believe something that you have no evidence for, or even a case for?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-18-2012), Crumb (10-18-2012), LadyShea (10-18-2012), Spacemonkey (10-18-2012), The Lone Ranger (10-18-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy