Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Anyway, please don't respond. I'm finished this conversation.
Apparently you were mistaken. Yet again. I imagine you must find yourself constantly surprised by your own behaviour. You must be shocked to find yourself restarting discussions you insist you have no intention of returning to, and flabbergasted to find yourself continuing conversations which you have only just declared to be finished.
Angakuk (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Anyway, please don't respond. I'm finished this conversation.
Apparently you were mistaken. Yet again. I imagine you must find yourself constantly surprised by your own behaviour. You must be shocked to find yourself restarting discussions you insist you have no intention of returning to, and flabbergasted to find yourself continuing conversations which you have only just declared to be finished.
Not really. I know that this conversation is on its last days, so it doesn't really matter whether I say I'm finished with the conversation, or not. I know when I say this I'm frustrated beyond imagination, but I come back when the frustration has worn off. But I am leaving very soon. I have bigger and better things ahead to look forward to. :)

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I think the faulty logic in the book will do a better job convincing people that Lessans was wrong. If they do not notice that, then efferent sight will definitely do the trick.
If this is all you have to say after I took the time to answer your question about doing favors (which you were confused about), then please don't ask me anymore questions about the book because obviously my answers are not good enough for you.
Actually you just stopped talking about that when I remarked that according to Lessans method of determining which desire has right of way, my desire to go and play mini-golf gets right of way over my wife's desire to have me present at the birth of our child to support her.

Or that my desire to smoke crack cocaine gets right of way over my child's desire for food, to make an even more extreme case.

According to you, a desire that only involves one person gets right of way over a desire that requires another person to do something to fulfil that desire: your example was that person 1's desire to go see a movie gets right of way over person 2's desire for person 1 to stay and help cook dinner.

However, from the examples I provided it becomes pretty evident that the rule does not work.

I guess the usual thing happened when Lessans is shown to have been wrong about something: you pretended something else happened entirely.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-03-2012), But (09-03-2012), Spacemonkey (09-03-2012), Stephen Maturin (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the faulty logic in the book will do a better job convincing people that Lessans was wrong. If they do not notice that, then efferent sight will definitely do the trick.
If this is all you have to say after I took the time to answer your question about doing favors (which you were confused about), then please don't ask me anymore questions about the book because obviously my answers are not good enough for you.
Actually you just stopped talking about that when I remarked that according to Lessans method of determining which desire has right of way, my desire to go and play mini-golf gets right of way over my wife's desire to have me present at the birth of our child to support her.

Or that my desire to smoke crack cocaine gets right of way over my child's desire for food, to make an even more extreme case.

According to you, a desire that only involves one person gets right of way over a desire that requires another person to do something to fulfil that desire: your example was that person 1's desire to go see a movie gets right of way over person 2's desire for person 1 to stay and help cook dinner.

However, from the examples I provided it becomes pretty evident that the rule does not work.

I guess the usual thing happened when Lessans is shown to have been wrong about something: you pretended something else happened entirely.
You are so completely lost Vivisectus, I am dumbfounded. I have no desire to continue talking to you. That's how idiotic your words sound.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You are soooo lost Vivisectus, I am dumbfounded. I have no desire to continue talking to you. That's how idiotic your words sound.

Well I guess this is an improvment. Before when someone got too close to the truth Peacegirl reacted with anger and hostility, now she is dumbfounded and refuses to talk about it. It is said that 'Silence is Golden' but in Peacegirl's case whether she talks or not, it's basemetal.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Reality Adventurer

The visit is not over till the crazy lady gets angry.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are soooo lost Vivisectus, I am dumbfounded. I have no desire to continue talking to you. That's how idiotic your words sound.
That is of course entirely up to you. And convenient, as it allows you to ignore yet another error in the book. Perhaps you could raise this issue in the proposed discussion area of your site where no-one is allowed to disagree with Lessans.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is of course entirely up to you. And convenient, as it allows you to ignore yet another error in the book. Perhaps you could raise this issue in the proposed discussion area of your site where no-one is allowed to disagree with Lessans.
Just know that your refutation is completely baseless. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
And convenient, as it allows you to ignore yet another error in the book.
Now that is very unkind, if Peacegirl were to ignore every error in the book she would be ignoring everything except the authors name, and even that is in doubt.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just know that your refutation is completely baseless. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
How exactly is Vivisectus wrong?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Not really. I know that this conversation is on its last days, so it doesn't really matter whether I say I'm finished with the conversation, or not. I know when I say this I'm frustrated beyond imagination, but I come back when the frustration has worn off. But I am leaving very soon. I have bigger and better things ahead to look forward to. :)
If I can't believe you when you claim to be finished a conversation, why should I believe you when you claim to be leaving very soon? You haven't exactly been very accurate with such claims in the past.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I am gullible because I trust people and what they say.
Quote:
I am a very skeptical person.
You seem confused. Which is it, Peacegirl? Are you a gullible or a skeptical person, in your own judgement?
Bump.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know you're not really interested Spacemonkey. If you were I would answer you, but all you do is try to mock Lessans and tell me that I'm gullible. Not all is lost though. Being here has been a learning experience to teach me how to be thick skinned.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If I can't believe you when you claim to be finished a conversation, why should I believe you when you claim to be leaving very soon? You haven't exactly been very accurate with such claims in the past.
Who is telling you to believe me? You'll know when it happens.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Based on your previous history, the only way anyone here will be sure is when your obituary is published.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I know you're not really interested Spacemonkey. If you were I would answer you, but all you do is try to mock Lessans and tell me that I'm gullible. Not all is lost though. Being here has been a learning experience to teach me how to be thick skinned.
You are gullible. You said so yourself. Once again, how exactly was Vivisectus wrong? If you are going to claim that someone is wrong, don't you think you should support that claim by explaining how it is so? What would your imaginary supporters think?

Quote:
Quote:
One would have thought that you would want us to believe the things that you say. Are you saying that we shouldn't believe your claims? Can you not be trusted to say things that are true?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegirl
I know no such thing. In fact I am pretty sure the opposite is true: I have shown the basis of my refutation. Unlike you I do not think merely claiming something is true is sufficient to make it plausible.

But perhaps this is something you would prefer to take up in the discussion area of your new page, where no-one is allowed to disagree with Lessans.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-06-2012), Spacemonkey (09-04-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:13 PM
here to bore you with pictures

If the revolution in thought is going to be managed by people who can't even get the home site to work, what hope does this revolution have?

Seriously, declineandfallofallevil.com still points to a hosting company page. Who is going to take this seriously if peacegirl can't get even minor obvious details correct?

It's not like Lessans' ideas are significantly more stupid than a million other purveyors of philosophical trash. Dress it up well enough and you're likely to find somebody willing to follow.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
If the revolution in thought is going to be managed by people who can't even get the home site to work, what hope does this revolution have?

Don't you mean 'mangled'?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
It's not like Lessans' ideas are significantly more stupid than a million other purveyors of philosophical trash. Dress it up well enough and you're likely to find somebody willing to follow.
What peacegirl is having trouble figuring out is that her following is not gonna come from FF. If after more than a year and over 20, 000 posts of trying she wasn't able to figure that out, what makes you think she will ever figure out who her target audience is? She is batshit insane afterall.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
What peacegirl is having trouble figuring out is that her following is not gonna come from FF. If after more than a year and over 20, 000 posts of trying she wasn't able to figure that out, what makes you think she will ever figure out who her target audience is? She is batshit insane afterall.
Batshit is too harsh, but she's got some serious cognitive wheels missing, for certain.

Really, is it so surprising she spent so long trying to peddle Lessans to free thought and philosophy forums? After all, Lessans is the height of philosophical sophistication, and everyone who is interested in those topics would naturally be interested in Lessans ideas. Unfortunately, she discovered that each of these forums are basically filled with idiot dilettantes who couldn't see Lessans' brilliance. Maybe the next one will be where she finds the trie intellect required to understand.....

Peacegirl is like a walking object lesson for why we need critical thinking. You can just see the mental dysfunction wafting off each post.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2012), Spacemonkey (09-10-2012), The Lone Ranger (09-10-2012), Vivisectus (09-11-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM

I'm not here for long, but I wanted to let people know that the website is up and running. I still have to learn how to give entrance to the entire ebook and audio, which requires me to do certain things in the dashboard of wordpress. I am getting a step by step tutorial this weekend. I'm excited. I hope you are too. :glare: Go to Untitled Document. If you pay for the rest of the audio and ebook, please allow a couple of days to get the link, as I am just learning how to do this. I've come a long way and I will march forward in total confidence that this website is going to become well known. Why? Because this is a genuine discovery. Only those who are interesting in joining this grassroots movement will be allowed entrance to the sub-forum, although they can ask questions before deciding to join if they believe there is something to this knowledge. One thing the freethought forum has taught me which I have to thank the administrator for; Never have a forum without a moderator. lol Too many nasty people come out of the woodwork and ruin it for everyone. I don't call this free thought. I call this idiocy. I forgot to mention that there are no returns once the audio and ebook are purchased. So know what you're doing before buying. I don't want anyone to have buyer's remorse. Hopefully, people will know whether they are interested in the rest of the book from the first chapter of the audio and ebook, which are free to listen to.

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-21-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Reality Adventurer

Batshit insane is about right.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I'm not here for long...
"Wolf!"

Quote:
I've come a long way and I will march forward in total confidence that this website is going to become well known. Why? Because...
...you are completely delusional.

Quote:
One thing the freethought forum has taught me which I have to thank the administrator for; Never have a forum without a moderator. lol Too many nasty people come out of the woodwork and ruin it for everyone.
You had moderators at IIDB. Yet you still failed to persuade anyone, and kept complaining about the moderation!

Quote:
I don't call this free thought. I call this idiocy.
This could be a new subtitle for your father's book.

Quote:
I don't want anyone to have buyer's remorse.
Then don't sell it.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is no error. The rule works. I realize that you want Lessans to be wrong in the worst way, but he isn't wrong. Number one, cooking dinner does not require two people, and number two, the person whose desire makes no demands on the other has the right-of-way if there is a conflict of desires. This does not mean that a person will only think of himself, but he will not be blamed if he chooses not to do what someone wants him to do, which occurs in this world all the time.

Your example regarding the pregnant woman is ridiculous because a husband would want to support his wife in childbirth. Yes, he has the right-of-way not to support her if he prefers, but why would he prefer this knowing that by supporting her he is showing his love, which will make her love him all the more and offer him the security of a loving relationship? Obviously, you didn't read that part. :doh:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy